• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joey Barton is being a stupid scumbag shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan O' Neill

Well-Known
Joey Barton has admitted he once fouled Xabi Alonso after the Spaniard “stole his move to Liverpool”.
Barton was sent off for a poorly-timed challenge on Alonso in a 3-0 Liverpool win over Newcastle in 2009.
In his new autobiography, ‘No Nonsense’, the suspended Rangers midfielder has detailed how the tackle was partly down to jealousy, with Alonso having “stolen” his move to Anfield five years prior.
‘Had things panned out differently, I could have made the obsessive debate about the mutual suitability of the Gerrard-Lampard axis redundant,’ Barton writes. ‘From what I gathered, Steven Gerrard agitated to get Liverpool to sign me in 2004, because he felt we had the potential to forge a partnership.
‘I met with Gerard Houllier at Melwood, and agreed everything verbally.
‘A deal was close to being concluded but then he was sacked that summer. It was never revived.’​
On the 2009 tackle in particular, Barton added:
‘Xabi and I had history. He blamed me for knocking him out in what he thought was a deliberate clash of heads in one of our earliest contests, and I blamed him for stealing my move to Liverpool.
‘All that remained to be agreed with City was the fee, when Rafa Benitez took over from Gerard Houllier. I was in Dubai when I was informed that he had instead decided to sign a kid from Real Sociedad who had just broken into the Spanish national team.
‘That turned out to be £10.7m well spent. Xabi is one hell of a player, whose passes have a great range and accuracy.
‘Whenever we played, I sought to get the game on my terms, which were relentlessly physical.
‘(In 2009) Thirteen minutes remained. Liverpool were two up, cruising and playing keep ball. The Kop conducted an incessant, infuriating chant of ‘Ole, ole, ole!’
‘Xabi retained the ball near the corner flag fractionally longer than was prudent. That gave me the opportunity to fly in, and disguise my malicious intent as best as I could. Alonso milked the moment with a barrel roll. I expected a yellow and was shown a red.’​

Hmmm– should we have signed the perennial nutter who has had a journeyman career and just been suspended by Glasgow Rangers or the respectful, hugely gifted player who has since continued to make his way at the very highest level in his subsequent career? The one that got away.

Last edited:
He is currently banned from Rangers for 3 weeks for the usual so it gives him plenty of time to promote his book of shite.

He is currently banned from Rangers for 3 weeks for the usual so it gives him plenty of time to promote his book of shite.

Currently being investigated for breaching betting rules too, could be a very short career north of the border.

He's being done for breaches of betting rules for putting a large bet on cultic getting hammered by Barcelona.

I'd be fucking amazed if he was the only player who made that bet!

Why some players don't have a system set up to place bets discreetly I have no idea, it's not exactly difficult.

Houllier wanted to sign that idiot?
Talk about being sacked at just the right time. Almost wish he was sacked earlier, we would never have bought Diouf and Diao.

Last edited:
I've always thought that Barton had been close to signing for us at least once, and that Alonso tackle was widely thought to be linked to something along those lines.

He's a massive, angry prick who has been cursed with thinking he's a far better footballer than he actually is. And because he's heard of Nietszche, assumes that because he is probably better read than the "average" footballer, he's actually "real life" intelligent

Ignoring utterly "context" and "environment".

But while his view of how own abilities and intellect are laughably, ridiculously inflated, he was always a decent footballer, and if he wasn't such a total mad cunt, wouldn't have been the worst signing ever made by liverpool; he could pass, tackle, and help control a game.

Of course, this latest example illustrates the problem: Barton is/ was a good footballer. Alonso is light years superior.

We could have had Bowyer AND Barton. The two 'B's as it were.

I go back and forth from loathing Barton to feeling a bit sorry for him. He's had some pretty awful mentors in his early life, but even now, when he claims to have grown more thoughtful, he still goes and acts like an arse. I was quite surprised just how awful he's been in Scotland. I mean, if you'd expect him to be dominant anywhere, it's there, and yet he's been insipid.

I go back and forth from loathing Barton to feeling a bit sorry for him. He's had some pretty awful mentors in his early life, but even now, when he claims to have grown more thoughtful, he still goes and acts like an arse. I was quite surprised just how awful he's been in Scotland. I mean, if you'd expect him to be dominant anywhere, it's there, and yet he's been insipid.

I think half of that is his state of mind, he half expected to be the best player up there just by turning up, because lets be honest, the league is awful. However mentally he's left behind his footballing brain in England.

I haven't watched any of the games, but that's the way it's coming across.

Wasn't Houllier a professor by trade or something? His talk to Barton must have made him Ask the Board to sack him....

I've always thought that Barton had been close to signing for us at least once, and that Alonso tackle was widely thought to be linked to something along those lines.

He's a massive, angry prick who has been cursed with thinking he's a far better footballer than he actually is. And because he's heard of Nietszche, assumes that because he is probably better read than the "average" footballer, he's actually "real life" intelligent

Ignoring utterly "context" and "environment".

But while his view of how own abilities and intellect are laughably, ridiculously inflated, he was always a decent footballer, and if he wasn't such a total mad cunt, wouldn't have been the worst signing ever made by liverpool; he could pass, tackle, and help control a game.

Of course, this latest example illustrates the problem: Barton is/ was a good footballer. Alonso is light years superior.
So he's a lot like Skully, except better at football

I think half of that is his state of mind, he half expected to be the best player up there just by turning up, because lets be honest, the league is awful. However mentally he's left behind his footballing brain in England.

I haven't watched any of the games, but that's the way it's coming across.

He said as much when he arrived there, which (as one might imagine) hasn't exactly endeared him to anyone at all, and the fact that he's spectacularly failed to live up to his own billing has heaped extra coals on the fire.

That tackle happened at my lad's first ever visit to Anfield, that he got as a first communion present. The same match also witnessed a Lucas goal

We've just booked in for the Watford match on Nov 6th, so expect another Lucas gem and a red card for Watford

He said it's taking him a while to adjust to playing at such a low level...

He said as much when he arrived there, which (as one might imagine) hasn't exactly endeared him to anyone at all, and the fact that he's spectacularly failed to live up to his own billing has heaped extra coals on the fire.

Yes, he announced, without any trace of humour that he was now the best player in Scotland. Idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom