• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

John Arne Riise Decides To Quit Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
[article]Former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has confirmed his retirement from professional football at the age of 36.

The Norwegian, who most recently played for the club where his career started, Aalesund, revealed the news in a blog post on his official website on Monday.

Riise spent seven years of his 20-year professional career at Anfield after arriving from Monaco to link up with Gerard Houllier.

The Molde-bon full-back was one of the heroes of the miraculous 2005 Champions League victory and also claimed an FA Cup, League Cup and two UEFA Super Cups during his time with the Reds.

Since leaving the club in 2008, Riise has featured for Roma, Fulham, APOEL, Delhi Dynamos and, finally, Aalesund.

He ends his career as the most-capped Norway player of all-time, having appeared for his country 110 times.[/article]
What a grreat, loyal servant the ginger was ... Solid defender and scored some phenomenal goals ... I'll let the next few posters do the honors ... :)

YNWA JAR ... We'll see you in the Kop soon enough I'm sure!

13427785_10154402804932573_2689310851873239869_n.jpg

I really liked Johnny Rockets. I know many fans seemed to think he was a dreadful weak link - and certainly at times his form was very up and down, especially in his last season - but I thought he was a very good player indeed.

Finnan -----Carra-------Hyypia------Riise

Oh yes.

He was boss! Will always remember a few of his goals. One of the better players our nation has ever had and he was a great player for Liverpool.

Should never have made a comeback in the Norwegian league, and is more interested in blogging these days then playing football.

He was poor in his last season but he was excellent for the mostpart up to that point. I can't believe we replaces him with Andrea fucking Dossena.

Came from the Jason Mcateer class of Intelligence..

Scored some crackers, especially against Man UTD... good player.. decent left back.. but by no means a great player..

Tainted his legacy with a terrible last season with us.. with that ridiculous own goal against Chelsea in the Champions League..

His shoot on site policy became irritating in his final season..

I remember when he was meant to be going to chelsea for 15 mill. Every single person was like, er... deffo.

Blaming risse for that own goal was mass dickheadery. We were fucking awful that night.

to be fair.. Reina was equally at fault.. but i still don't know to this day what the feck he was doing... I don't think even he knew..

Still.. I rather remember him for those wonderful goals he scored.. Wore his heart on his sleeve.. loved the club..

Nice honest comments from Riise.. To be fair replacing him with Drossena was a calamitous decision.. one of a few from Rafa in his final season with us.. Alonso being the other..

Luckily for us.. Aurelio had a fine season in 2009...

[article]

One of the most common questions I get from fans: » Why did you leave Liverpool»? I must admit that i should have stayed. Not because I didn’t enjoy 3 years at AS Roma, 3 years at Fulham and so far 1 year at APOEL. Wouldn’t be without those memories, but because I know I would have taken the place from Dossena. Maybe the one time I didn’t stand up for who I am and fought for it. I remember like it was yesterday when Benitez called me to his office. It was a few days after the exit of Champions League against Chelsea where I scored the famous own goal in the first leg. ! I honestly think that the own goal didn’t affect Rafas decision. Maybe i’m wrong, but i’m 100 % sure that the own goal wasn’t the main reason. Yes, I was devastated about the own goal, I was crying at home and I didn’t talk to anyone for days. I knew I let all my teammates down and especially the fans. It seems like when these things happen in big games, people forget that own goals happens. It’s part of football. Sometimes you make a decision and it doesn’t always go as planned. I don’t need anyone to tell me i made the wrong decision, I know I did! Since we still had the second leg coming up I had to mentally prepare myself for that game.

Knocking on Rafas door was not something that scared me, I had talked to him many times like this before, but I had no clue what to expect this time. We only had 2 games left of the season. We sat down and had a nice talk about everything really. He told me they were gonna sign a new left back and that I was not gonna be first choice. Normally that doesn’t bother me because at a club like Liverpool you always face new players and hard competition. He then told me that I deserve to be first choice, but he couldn’t give me that at Liverpool. Sometimes in Football people need a change to blossom again. He said he would help me get to a big club, I said no thanks, I got my agent. We had 2 games left of the season and I was on 348 games for Liverpool, I asked him if I could please play part in last 2 games so I got to 350, he wouldn’t let me. 350 games would have given me average of 50 games a season. I left the office with a lot of respect for Rafa. The only thing I wish he did earlier was telling me how I stood within the team, and what I needed to do to remain first choice. If he as my manager told me I needed to step it up, I would have done everything in my power to do so. I was blind and didn’t see it. But i love Rafa, he gave me the best night of my life in Istanbul, he showed me a lot of confidence in my time with him. I learned so much from him. He was a great manager for me and my career. For him to be so honest with me during that conversation is something I will never forget and always respect him for. I still keep in touch with him.

I went down to dressing room feeling surprised, disappointed and empty. Some of the players came out of the shower and I met Carra, Stevie and Pepe. Carra asked me what gaffa said. I just told them I’m off. The looks on their faces told me they were surprised. Very surprised. I was so disappointed that I didn’t even shower, went straight to my car and started crying. Sat there maybe 20 min before I called my agent and told him everything. I ended the phone call with these words: I will show everybody that I can get back to my best!

I had one year left of my contract, I should have stayed and fought for my place, my reputation, for my name. Yes, I knew Dossena would be first choice for the first 3-4 months, but I know I would have taken that place back. All I needed was someone to tell me that I needed to step up. I have been thinking a lot about it after, and I can only blame myself. The last year at Liverpool I wasn’t as focused as previous years. I was to comfortable with my position in the team that I didn’t work as hard as I should have and had before. Absolutely annoys me!!!! I lost what was my strength: hard work, determination and focus. I also should have known that Dossena coming from Italy wouldn’t adapt to English Football. This went through my head: Do you wanna stay at a club knowing your manager won’t play you for 3-4 months, maybe longer? What about your reputation? I couldn’t sit on the bench or not even in the squad for so long. What about National Team? I could lose my place in the team. I saw only one outcome, I had to go. Had to much to lose. To this day I know I would have made the left back mine again.
[/article]

Had his limitations but was a quality player who scored some cracking memorable goals. Loved our club, the fans and considered it a privilege to play for us.

When Houllier got his transfers right, he got it really really right.

I can remember that free kick against utd like it was yesterday. Had an absolute peg on him

Fond memories of him. Limited in some ways but outstanding in others. Dip in form that last season but overall a terrific servant. Has never truly been replaced.

YNWA John Arne!

It was such a nice sight to watch him when he first arrived at the club. Those early games - to think we'd finally got a dynamic left back. And then his shooting. Fantastic. His brain seemed to get a bit scrambled later on, and his fitness was erratic, but god I'd love to see us get another left back with the same pace and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom