• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jota

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1975

I thought this lad was great on Saturday, his all round game seems to be improving, especially his approach play. He's such a gifted finisher though. I know he lacks the genuine pace of Salah and Mane, but he's pretty lethal at sniffing out chances inside the box. He's been a Godsend really with Firmino both declining a fair bit and suffering a few niggles. He'll be crucial to us in January, but I'm not sure a combination of him and Bobby is too good, without any decent pace up there with them.

Last edited:
I like sharp players that are a pain in the arse to play against, it means they always have a chance or forcing an error or making a challenge that wins possession. That’s Jota, great signing so far.

He's clever direct and very sharp, for me that beats pace. You don't need pace across the whole front line, the balance we have is all you need.

Hopefully his injury is nothing to worry about.

He looks a bit faster over the first yards now, and apparently he worked with some Portuguese sprint champion during his holidays and pre season.
But he'll never have that raw pace like Mane and Salah. His movement and ability to always be at the right place at the right time makes up for that though in my opinion.
Like Mane, he's such a great header of the ball even though he isnt the biggest.

Took his goal really well, but can also be more clinical. Hopefully that part of his game will come.

Jota is a bit understated and obviously opporsition managers are trying to work out how to stop Mo. Coming in under the radar slightly gives Jota a slight edge.

He sees space so quickly and does add a bit of predatory play that we don't always have. Surprise signing but he's proved his worth.

Excellent player, always on the move, always moving into space. I think it's a little understated how hard he works; he often pops up deep into our half defending, and the next moment he is right up front adding to the attack.

And he's only 24, he should be one of our more important player for the next 5-8 years.

Jota is a bit understated and obviously opporsition managers are trying to work out how to stop Mo. Coming in under the radar slightly gives Jota a slight edge.

He sees space so quickly and does add a bit of predatory play that we don't always have. Surprise signing but he's proved his worth.
On the contrary, I think his biggest weakness is that he's the one in the front three who gets shut out of games the most, which is probably because he's the easiest to defend against because he lacks the dynamism of Mane / Salah. He's an incredible effective player in our system, probably our best finisher in the box (although Salah) but he's reliant on Mo or Mane to be the ones to take on defenders and create the space for our attack, thats why losing both of those two is going to be devastating when the African Charity Shield comes around.

It’s ok... Mbappe is pretty speedy - he’ll slot straight in when he signs on 1st Jan and fill that Africa sized hole in the forward line.
mbappe will follow poch to Utd and they’ll win the league

His first touch after getting the pass from Tavares was absolute perfection. He was aware of the space behind him in the box, it was directly towards his target and I think it totally wobbled the defenders and keeper how quickly he was only 15 yards away from goal. Didn't need 2 or 3 touches, didn't turn like the titanic, no hesitation. Add his calmness on the ball with charging center backs and Ramsdale and it shows just how good in the box he is.

On the contrary, I think his biggest weakness is that he's the one in the front three who gets shut out of games the most, which is probably because he's the easiest to defend against because he lacks the dynamism of Mane / Salah. He's an incredible effective player in our system, probably our best finisher in the box (although Salah) but he's reliant on Mo or Mane to be the ones to take on defenders and create the space for our attack, thats why losing both of those two is going to be devastating when the African Charity Shield comes around.

Yes he's not a bag of tricks but that's not his game. Very often predatory opportunistic strikers do get shut out but they still command attention from defenders. Jota is always on high alert, darting along the line looking for a yard of space, to gamble on the cross coming in. He can come deep and show for the ball. Very good addition.

Obviously it doesn't always come off but we have to expect that. As long as we get 100% he'll get his fair share of goals.Thanks for the reply.

That headed pass he did to set Mane free was a fucking bullet. It was actually one of the most stunning headed passes i can remember. He really has an amazing header on him.
I don't know how he got so much power on it

That headed pass he did to set Mane free was a fucking bullet. It was actually one of the most stunning headed passes i can remember. He really has an amazing header on him.

Was about to say the same. Headed passes are almost always a waste, lacking pace and direction, high bounce that's hard to control – but this was a total opposite, a proper headed through-ball. That whole attack was a delight, 5 seconds from Alisson's goal-kick to Salah tap-in into an open goal.

His first touch after getting the pass from Tavares was absolute perfection. He was aware of the space behind him in the box, it was directly towards his target and I think it totally wobbled the defenders and keeper how quickly he was only 15 yards away from goal. Didn't need 2 or 3 touches, didn't turn like the titanic, no hesitation. Add his calmness on the ball with charging center backs and Ramsdale and it shows just how good in the box he is.
Mané would have just swung at it.

Some of his first touches on Saturday were poor - wasted at least 2 great chances after being unselfishly set up by Salah. But everything he did for the goal was just brilliant; this is the kind of goal Suarez or Raul Jimenez would score. There is room for improvement; he could actually score a lot more if his finishing becomes just a tad sharper.

Was about to say the same. Headed passes are almost always a waste, lacking pace and direction, high bounce that's hard to control – but this was a total opposite, a proper headed through-ball. That whole attack was a delight, 5 seconds from Alisson's goal-kick to Salah tap-in into an open goal.

Correction: it was 9 seconds exactly from Alisson’s touch to Salah’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom