• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Keita - how does he fit in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwake

Well-Known
Keita had a decent game against Bournemouth but one thing that stood out for me was that he seems like a different player to the one we envisioned.

I thought we were getting a Kante-esque type and maybe has was more like that at RBL and just hasn't found a way to be like that at Liverpool.

What stands out for me is that he seems like the midfield version of Trent, this is to say great going forward and not so good doing the job he is actually supposed to be good at, he even said it himself when he joined that he sees himself as a defensive midfielder! But I don't see that when I watch him, he seems to space out, gets knocked over easily and appears not to relish 50/50 tackles, these aren't exactly traits of a defensive midfielder.

However, if we do try to play the advanced attacking midfielder tactic then Keita is perfect for that role, he obviously has a great eye for a pass and is comfortable running with the ball, I enjoy the way he runs with the ball looking for the probing run or pass, sometimes this is exactly what we need.

Also maybe he needs a decent run in the team, remember it took nearly two years for Gini to stop being called Casper the Ghost whenever he played away games.

Hes got enough talent that I'm happy to have him come in and get better, if Klopp can turn Lovren into a reliable player then Klopp can do anything!

Well first things first it's Klopp who defines his 'position' and, as we've seen, playing him wide left isn't it. He was a central midfielder at Leipzig and when played there he's much better. though I agree he's looked very good at AM. since he has amazing technical skills and defence splitting passing.

Secondly you seem to have missed that fact that his defensive stats are outstanding, bettered only by Fabinho if I am remembering accurately. They tend to go under the radar when he makes one high profile mistake (usually loss of possession in a dangerous area) per game.

@King Binny do you have any stats for him mate ?

It is clearly true however that he doesn't seem to be as aware as he should be. I'm assuming this is because he's not used to the constant and intense pressure in the PL as compared to playing for Leipzig and Guinea and it's an area of his game that needs improvement. Not that's it's atrocious even now however.

Last edited:
Staying fit should be his primary objective for this season.

Let’s get that first and then talk about how he fits in June.

His goal and assist were big positives as was his display at OT.

@Frogfish

Got some stats from the Bournemouth game:

ELMvEf5XYAUpubR
ELMvEf8WoAAwxYo
ELMvEgDWkAAJTDT
keita.jpg

Not too dissimilar to lallana, well he gives the ball away as much. Against better opposition we would have been punished.

He needs to keep himself fit and find his home in this side. To do that he's got to put the in consistently good performances against much better sides than an injury ravaged Bournemouth.

For me he's best playing in the deeper midfield positions when he's got license to roam. He's not particularly good with his back to goal or in congested midfield areas. He's best when he's carrying the ball with space from deep.

I still maintain Keita has more than enough talent to be a success here. Not convinced he has a body or personality that is resilient enough for a Klopp side, but let's see.

I think there is definitely an element with Keita where perception works against him, as the stats show hes often the most effective ball winner on the field when he plays. Yet it often seems people consider him lightweight and ineffective.

Klopp paid a bomb and waited a while for Keita so I’m sure he has plans for him as long as he can keep fit. He’s clearly got talent, but it’s a tough squad to get into.

I think there is definitely an element with Keita where perception works against him, as the stats show hes often the most effective ball winner on the field when he plays. Yet it often seems people consider him lightweight and ineffective.

So we should play him instead of Fabinho?

"If" he stays fit, and we all know that's a gigantic if, and he gets some consistency, there is no reason that he cannot come in and look at one of the two midfield roles in front of Fabinho.

I remember loads of people loved the idea of the below, surely they can't have played together many times.

Keita --- Wijnaldum

---Fabinho---

Not too dissimilar to lallana, well he gives the ball away as much. Against better opposition we would have been punished.
He needs to keep himself fit and find his home in this side. To do that he's got to put the in consistently good performances against much better sides than an injury ravaged Bournemouth.

For me he's best playing in the deeper midfield positions when he's got license to roam. He's not particularly good with his back to goal or in congested midfield areas. He's best when he's carrying the ball with space from deep.

I still maintain Keita has more than enough talent to be a success here. Not convinced he has a body or personality that is resilient enough for a Klopp side, but let's see.
Good comments from everyone but these two are more in line with how I see Keita, good potential but defensively I wouldn't bet my house on him as a defensive player despite what she stats may prove. I think Kante is even smaller but when I see Kante I see a player who loves 50/50 challenges doesn't get bundled over easily and is defensively aware, Keita has some ways to go if you use kante as a marker. As others have said I feel though it maybe easier to adapt him as an attacking player and bring Grugic back as the backup defensive midfielder.

Last edited:
Good comments from everyone but these two are more in line with how I see Keita, good potential but defensively I wouldn't bet my house on him as a defensive player despite what she stats may prove. I think Kante is even smaller but when I see Kante I see a player who loves 50/50 challenges doesn't get bundled over easily and is defensively aware, Keita has some ways to go if you use kante as a marker. As others have said I feel though it maybe easier to adapt him as an attacking player and bring Grugic back as the backup defensive midfielder.
This is an interesting comparison. Kante is probably one of the very best in the world in his position (he is according to the ESPN Top Player Ratings and didn't he make the UEFA Team of the Year? May be wrong on that). So Keita would have to be doing damn well to even be on his coattails.

Obviously it's subjective in some ways even if the stats are, by their very nature of course, measurable.

I used WhoScored to check. And in fact they score very similarly in many regards with a few obvious disparities. I'm not going to dissect them however here's the link so take a look yourselves. https://www.whoscored.com/PlayerComparison

Overall Ratings (obviously Kante has played a few more games so ratings will carry more weight).
2018/19 : Keita 6.74 (16 starts and 9 subs) and Kante 6.93 (36 starts). Generally across the board Kante shades him in most categories but not usually by much.
2019/20 : Keita 7.18 (1 start and 2 subs) and Kante 7.10 (7 starts 2 subs). Wins in categories has started to even up - except on the defensive side where Kante is comfortably ahead in almost every category, not that Keita's are poor by any means, barring Keita has a much lower fouls committed or times dribbled past.
Keita has better passing stats in defence and attack (93% to 83%). But the sample is so low for Keita that it's impossible to claim a trend or even that these are representative.

We should remember that Keita is only 24 (allegedly) and Kante 28 and at his prime.

Last edited:
"If" he stays fit, and we all know that's a gigantic if, and he gets some consistency, there is no reason that he cannot come in and look at one of the two midfield roles in front of Fabinho.

I remember loads of people loved the idea of the below, surely they can't have played together many times.

Keita --- Wijnaldum

---Fabinho---
Theoretically, that could be an ace midfield.

He played well tonight. He did the simple things well. With more more confidence he may come out of his shell to own a game

I didnt think it was the right choice to start him. Very happy to have been proven wrong.

I'm still a bit skeptical that he will come good but let's hope these two most recent performances are a harbinger of what's to come.
He`s a good player I just hope he`s not made of glass.

If he is we can hopefully sell him on at a profit after edwards convinces someone he`s tempered glass.

He's beginning to show that Bundesliga form .... which funnily enough seems to have coincided with him now playing a position which more closely resembles his RBL position, in the middle of the park.

Doing fine. Hope he stays fit.
He has been fine earlier as well when able to play a few games in a row.

A very good performance tonight, even more so considering how poor many of his peers were.

He's a long way from proving he's good enough, but he's definitely on the right track, & he's doing so at exactly the right time for our season.

He is Way ahead of the ox and shaq now for the attacking midfield role. Some crucial goals
It's not just the goals though ... as I said before we even signed him, he has a bit of the Coutinho about him in that he can just glide past players and that opens up the whole defence as they have to cover the midfielders he's just by-passed. He's got a great eye (and technique) for a creative pass too.

It's not just the goals though ... as I said before we even signed him, he has a bit of the Coutinho about him in that he can just glide past players and that opens up the whole defence as they have to cover the midfielders he's just by-passed. He's got a great eye (and technique) for a creative pass too.

I think we have only seen 50% of his top level. With some confidence and run in the team he can take control of a game more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom