• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp Needs To Loook At Himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit nervous at admitting I listen (but don't subscribe) to this podcast, as I'm scared of Momo ... but

I think they plan to release an episode every week or so for the first 4 or 5 episodes; there will then be 4 or 5 more from around April. At the moment they are free; they haven't said it yet, but I'm guessing after a few episodes they will move it all behind their paywall (chiseling cunts :))
I was wrong ... 1 free episide then behind the paywall.

@momoWASboss #MeToo

bump

what did we do in dubai? get tanned?

In any case, why move away from the sitting back, narrow and compact team he deployed when we couldn't get a result playing the usual press?

Over the years we have shifted away from both Klopp's original style of play and also changed our transfer strategy - with only varying degrees of success.

We were able to regularly source brilliant players for under £30-40m, who were taken to another level both by the system Klopp implemented, and the supporting cast. The squad has shifted to become increasingly technical as the the players have aged, but the lack of physicality, pressing and aggression has ultimately made the system fall apart at the seams.

We have also tried to go after higher profile players in Thiago, Nunez and Bellingham and supplement the expense with younger talent (Elliott, Carvalho, Jones Bajectic, Ramsay, etc), but it's created huge gaps of inexperience in the squad, and stalled our ability to turn over key areas of the team. Our refusal to sell players when we rely on a low net-spend has been perplexing and has made little sense over the years.

I used to know exactly what we were, but now we remind a me of a bit like Chelsea, who have a squad put together by multiple people with different ideas of how to play. There's no excuse for the lack of cohesion in the squad - Klopp has been the longest serving manager after all. We effectively swapped out Gini for Thiago, Firmino for Nunez and then Elliott for Henderson. All three of these are completely different to what went before, and maybe just too much change in key positions in a short period or time. Combine that with some aging and bad injuries and here we are.

There is the obvious pressure of restricted funds, which forces us time and time again into riskier choices, but I do fear Klopp has been too willing to compromise the principles and style of play that ultimately made him one of the best managers on the planet. The midfield has always been the engine room of his sides, so why does he think a midfield of an aging Fabinho and two small technicians, of differing quality in Thiago and Elliott, is enough to make his 4-3-3 system work? That to me is truly baffling.

I don't want to be overly harsh. We were 2 games away from a quadruple last season, so we can't suddenly act like we've lost the plot and we're run by amateurs, but there are some serious questions to answer over our squad building. When things aren't working out it's important to go back to basics - I had hoped the WC break would have identified this and made us ensure we find a Gini style midfielder to provide some stability in the middle. Fingers crossed we can address it this January otherwise this season looks set to be a write off.

Last edited:
Yes, great post. The thing is, I'm not sure I trust the people in charge to overlook the revamp needed to set up the squad going forward. I think we need to have a look at the coaching staff and key personnel as well. Maybe Klopp needs to be ruthless about Lijnders and the fact that we maybe need a top level sporting director like Mitchell or Freund.

What we are doing now is clearly not working, and we have drifted away from the type of players needed to be successful in this league.
We need to set our long term strategy, what we need from a player perspective and were our key areas for improvement are to see us perform like potential league winners again.

Our midfield has been overrun in nearly every game, and it must surely now be evident to Klopp that you need some more bigger athletic players that arent shortarsed technicians.

Over the years we have shifted away from both Klopp's original style of play and also changed our transfer strategy - with only varying degrees of success.

We were able to regularly to source brilliant players for under 30-40m, who were taken to another level by the system Klopp implemented and the supporting cast. As the squad has shifted to become a more technical as the the players have aged, the lack of physicality, pressing and aggression has ultimately made the system fall apart at the seams.

We've also tried to go after higher profile players in Thiago, Nunez and Bellingham and supplement the expense with younger talent (Elliott, Carvalho, Jones Bajectic, Ramsay, etc), but it's created huge gaps of inexperience in the squad.

I used to know exactly what we were, but now we remind a me of a bit like Chelsea, who have a squad put together by multiple people with different ideas of how to play. There's no excuse for the lack of cohesision in the squad - Klopp has been the longest serving manager after all.

There is the obvious pressure of restricted funds, which forces us time and time again into riskier choices, but I do fear Klopp has been too willing to compromise the principles and style of play that ultimately made him one of the best managers on the planet.

The midfield has always been the engine room of his sides, so why does he think a midfield of an aging Fabinho and two small technicians, of differing quality in Thiago and Elliott, is enough to make his system work? That to me is truly baffling.

I don't want to be overly harsh. We were 2 games away from a quadruple last season, so we can't suddenly act like we've lost the plot and we're run by amateurs, but there are some serious questions to answer over our squad building. When things aren't working out it's important to go back to basics - I had hoped the WC break would have identified this and made us ensure we find a Gini style midfielder to provide some stability in the middle. Fingers crossed we can address it this January otherwise this season looks set to be a write off.

Bold is the key ... Surely Klopp and co see that?

If they see it, why not at least pick Keita over Elliott away at Brentford? Even within our limited options there are ways to marginally increase our physicality/solidity in midfield, but they are being inexplicably ignored.

It feels to me that Keita is out of favour for whatever reason, perhaps contract situation or unnecessary sicknote behaviour, and that's why he's not starting.

It's self defeating stuff though.

You have to wonder if having 4 players on out going contracts also makes some sort of impact. Firmino, Ox, Milner and Keita. I think Firmino and Milner wont change their approach regardless but the two others probably will and have done.

If they see it, why not at least pick Keita over Elliott away at Brentford? Even within our limited options there are ways to marginally increase our physicality/solidity in midfield, but they are being inexplicably ignored.

321810026_692044215880467_5658109148650418128_n.jpg

I think the rebuild process is fully underway, we're just a season worth of transfer windows behind where we needed to be, in order to not be suffering this short term shitshow.

Get the two midfield signings right this month or in the summer and we'll be back challenging on all fronts.......Remains to be seen if the slowness in addressing the midfield costs us a season in the CL.

I think the rebuild process is fully underway, we're just a season worth of transfer windows behind where we needed to be, in order to not be suffering this short term shitshow.

Get the two midfield signings right this month or in the summer and we'll be back challenging on all fronts.......Remains to be seen if the slowness in addressing the midfield costs us a season in the CL.
To a certain degree I agree. Not much wrong with the attack or the defence. I do worry that missing out on Top 4 will cost us top quality players that otherwise would want to come here. Bellingham may be top of that list.

Without signing a midfielder in this window I'm not confident at all about getting top 4.
Newcastle and Utd both look much stronger than us at the moment given that they hardly concede any goals.

Perhaps, I'd like to believe so but I'm not so sure.

We have lost our cohesion. Our confidence and winning mentality. Our fear factor.

Those are things that are not so easy to build up, maintain and recover.

We're now in a position where we're trying to rebuild the attack and midfield all at the same time. Far from ideal.

And it's going to be a wasted / compromised year in the development of Elliot and Carvahlo (who must be wishing he'd chosen differently).

I wonder if Klopp would have extended his contract if he knew Edwards, Gordon, Graham or even Ward were not going to stay. I doubt so. They are "lucky/smart" they can choose to leave on personal/non-football grounds. I hope the takeover can happen faster and smoothly and Klopp gets the help and support he needs and deserve to rebuild and turn things around to at least finish off his current contract.

I wonder if Klopp would have extended his contract if he knew Edwards, Gordon, Graham or even Ward were not going to stay. I doubt so. They are "lucky/smart" they can choose to leave on personal/non-football grounds. I hope the takeover can happen faster and smoothly and Klopp gets the help and support he needs and deserve to rebuild and turn things around to at least finish off his current contract.

Hope so, but we're really pinning our hopes on a lot of things coming off for us. Football is cyclic, systems and styles come and go. We're victims of our own success really, because everyone has gone for high intensity pressing football and we're just no longer very good at it, coupled with declining players and it just not being a new phenomenon any more. Everyone seems to be playing us at our own game and beating us at it.

As for Klopp. We've been here before, it smacks of the end of an era, too many things ending and/or going wrong at once. Ageing players, hierarchy personnel sensing we've run our course. We had a great squad, great scouting, a shrewd way of identifying the right player, we played innovative football and we had a manager who was a breath of fresh air. That's what gave us our stability, functionality and success.

It seems to me that's we're hoping that by fixing things in the transfer market, it will sort out the myriad of other issues. You can already sense the slight nuances and fluctuating factors within the "system" that is starting to set it all a bit off balance. Even recent signings are questionable, despite obvious ability. Elliott and Fabio are clearly good, but have no clear identity on the pitch. Thiago is proving anywhere between sublime, ridiculous and a luxury, Nunez has had his troubles, and no one has seen the right back. Previously the occasional questionable signing might crop up, but by and large most signings seemed a perfect fit for the club, now it's all a bit haphazard and up in the air.

Yes, Klopp is his own man.

It's not as if those people were part of Klopp's staff, they were here long before he came.

Like any sane person, you would wait to see what the clubs long term plans were in terms of personnel change and wait to see whether you share the same futuristic plans before taking any premature actions.

I think this defeat has helped me come to terms with how the rest of the season is likely to be. We are where we deserve to be in the league, things aren’t right and they’re not going to be fixed any time soon. There will be good runs and there will be disappointments.

Hopefully we can scrape the top 4 and Bellingham still wants to come but who knows. I don’t love the churn in backroom staff and increasing responsibility on Klopp so fingers crossed for new owners who will reinstate a top level team to support the big man.

You have to wonder how often we confuse the managers loyalty to players with the reality of the situation, that the owners aren’t able to fund a top clubs ambitions.

@Markeh. I wonder whether it's a question of ability to fund or a question of willingness to do so but, if by "we" you mean us lot on here, the answer is: way too often. The number of SCM posters who come out with that penny-in-the-slot kneejerk reaction is just unreal. Do those who say that really think Klopp can't see what they can see?

@Markeh. I wonder whether it's a question of ability to fund or a question of willingness to do so but, if by "we" you mean us lot on here, the answer is: way too often. The number of SCM posters who come out with that penny-in-the-slot kneejerk reaction is just unreal. Do those who say that really think Klopp can't see what they can see?

His persistence with Elliott in a midfield three makes me certain he needs a trip to the optician, yes.

This season looks a lot like 2020-2021 when we followed the holy grail of the title with a stumbling, error ridden, inconsistent 6 months.

Back then, all our focus was on the club's failure to reinforce the central defence with just 3 senior players available all of whom suffered season ending injuries. We addressed this by putting players out of position, pushing kids before they were ready or good enough and then panic buying/loaning in the January window.

This season we have followed a record breaking pursuit of all 4 competitions with a stumbling, error ridden, inconsistent 4 months (so far).

Our focus is on the midfield which we failed to reinforce and tried to address on the last day of the summer with a panic loan and overplaying inexperienced kids.

Who is to blame? I dunno but what should be obvious is that Klopp can recover from poor seasons and put us back in contention even though we are planets away from our rivals in splashing out transfer money. I'm sure he would love the opportunity to strengthen the midfield this window despite what he says to (naturally) keep the morale of his current squad several of whom are out of contract soon.

There's serious instability behind the scenes right now with the club publicly for sale, key personnel leaving or moving upstairs and Jurgen Klopp is our best hope of staging a recovery to put us back where we belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom