1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Konate watch

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by rurikbird, Nov 25, 2021.

1. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

Maybe unfair to start the thread with a critical opinion like that, but I don’t think Owen meant to slag him off - and I do think the observation about lack of communication in Van Dijk’s absence is correct.

So far Klopp is doing a super job slowly integrating Konate into the team mostly in low-pressure situations (such a playing against some no-marks at Old Trafford) and I wouldn’t class him either as flop or a success yet - it’s a learning process for everyone.

2. Bradley

Bradley Very Well-Known Member

He has time on his side. And a legend at his other side in VVD.

3. FreshRed

FreshRed Well-Known Member

Agree. He was really poor last night, but need to remember how young he is. Against United, he was next to VVD could have made all the difference, with no slight to Matip.

4. mom

mom Very Active Member

Massive potential. VVD and Joel are first choice but that will change over the season. Not everyone settles like Salah did

5. Beamrider

Beamrider Very Active Member

I feel like he could still be Campbell or Bramble. The physicality and athleticism is there, but his defensive style and reading of the game needs some work. With good coaching, I'm confident he could be a great player for us - jury's out for now.

SaRed, bluebell, RedStar and 3 others like this.
  6. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

How could it not be?  Even if he'd torn it up already, I'd still reserve judgment until he's been here longer and played a fair few more games.

7. Donavan Ried

Donavan Ried Alive and still kicking, Just Member

Yes he could have done better, but you can say that for everone excpet Morton who had quite a good game.
    But lets not forget,Porto played well last night

8. Alan Hardaker

Alan Hardaker Active Member

First few games tho he looks a little bit clumsy. I'm not convinced. Hopefully he will improve, sharpen up. I expected him to be better TBH. Have to see more but I can't see him being a fixture here.

Gary25 likes this.
  9. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

He’s been good so far, albeit a bit up and down but that is to be expected. Some excellent performances and some below average.
    The biggest adjustment for him is probably going from 3 to 2 at the back. And we all know how difficult it is for new players to adapt to Klopps ideas and tactics.

10. tombrown

tombrown Part of the Furniture Member

Exactly. Fabinho took 6 months adapting from a double pivot to a lone 6, and he was much more experienced than konate. He will be superb in the end

Judge Jules likes this.
  11. rurikbird

The thing with Konate, I'm not yet sure I understand his personality yet. Is he a fighter, a lovable bear, a driven athlete, a loose cannon? Seems pretty down to earth on first impression and I liked the way he laughed off Fred's attempt to "fight" him. But other than that, we don't have much to go on yet.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    FreshRed likes this.
  12. rurikbird

This was probably Konate's worst bit of play last night – this is not something you can attribute to getting used to the new team or league, this is purely a mental mistake of failing to check over your shoulder for a blind-side run and failing to anticipate it. I don't think you see Matip or VVD being done like that very often. You can't solve it with tactics or physical training – he just needs to be sharper and learn to read the game better and that comes with experience.

EDIT: In contrast watch Morton in this episode – he constantly checks over his shoulder for the Porto attacker coming off the far side while he follows the run of the 2 players he is marking and seems to anticipate the possibility of Porto getting past Konate and putting the cross in, so when it does happen he's in a perfect position to clear it. That's intelligent defending.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  13. keniget

keniget Part of the Furniture Member

Thus far if we are all being honest he’s looked pretty ropey and a long way off an heir to VVD ( if that’s what he’s being billed as).

Of course it’s early days and he’s got plenty of time to settle in and improve.

14. rurikbird

Well, to be fair at his age Van Dijk himself played either for Groningen or Celtic and anyone would laugh at the suggestion that in a few years he'll be lauded as the best in the world. I don't expect Konate to be anywhere near Van Dijk's level at this point, just hope he is someone who will gradually learn and improve his understanding of the game year by year – if so he can be a great defender, because the physical and technical attributes are already there.

jimmy likes this.
  15. Gary25

Gary25 Well-Known Member

I think he might be a bit shit, sadly.

16. Tinto

Tinto Very Active Member

Yeah, I guess this is how it is when you buy before they become the next thing.

These players will need games though and we will pay a price when they make mistakes as they are learning and improving.

The other option is let a club like Dortmund take on this process and we try to compete for the signing at the end of it.

Frogfish and rurikbird like this.
  17. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Typical SCM response to a young player being inconsistent. Sigh

Lots of very good signs amidst the inconsistency. Give him time.

Squiggles and Stevesquash like this.
  18. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

Difficult to build any sort of rhythm when you're playing once a month. This year will mostly him getting accustomed to the way we train, and the pattern of our play. We'll get to judge him only once he becomes a permanent fixture in the first team, and let's face it, given how fragile Matip is, that'll happen sooner rather than later.

19. momoWASboss

momoWASboss If you take me seriously then you’re an idiot Member

I still have high hopes for him.

20. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Very Active Member

Centre backs peak in their late 20's / early 30's. He's 22. Give him a couple of years coached by Klopp. Campbell is a lot more likely than Bramble.