• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Reserves & Youth Team Goals/Highlights

[article]England and Wales are battling for Liverpool U18 attacker Lewis Koumas.

Koumas is the son of former Wales and Tranmere Rovers midfielder Jason Koumas.

Wales plan to select Koumas for their U19 double-header against Sweden this month. However, the call would not prevent him from representing England, his country of birth, at senior level. Former Wales captain Gareth Bale has tipped Koumas as one to watch.

Reds academy coach Marc Bridge-Wilkinson recently told the Liverpool Echo: “It wasn't just me who made the call to play him as an out-and-out number nine.

“We spoke about it as staff and it was a discussion we had in pre-season about whether the position would suit him best. He is good at running, he is full of energy and enthusiasm and his running off the ball is really intelligent. He can also finish.

“We just thought let's give him a go there and felt it was something he might enjoy, which he certainly is. He was scoring goals, getting chances and ultimately playing consistently well."[/article]

I really want another forward youth prospect to break through. Money is on Doak though

[article]James McConnell hasn't been one to waste time during his fledgling Liverpool career. So there should have been no surprise at the teenage midfielder being given first-team recognition this summer.

McConnell is among the group of youngsters currently being put through their paces alongside established colleagues having received the call from Jurgen Klopp for the pre-season training camp in Germany.

The 18-year-old may not have had the senior exposure of the likes of Bobby Clark, Ben Doak and Melkamu Frauendorf, the family football heritage of Lewis Koumas nor have commanded the kind of fee that saw Calum Scanlon first move to Liverpool.

But seasoned Academy observers have long acknowledged the potential of the all-action, attack-minded McConnell ever since he broke into the under-18s side as a 16-year-old having arrived at Kirkby at U15 level from Sunderland.

His calling card was a fine strike on his first U18 Premier League North start that helped earn a 2-1 win at Stoke City in February 2021. And the following 2021/21 season when, under the tutelage of U18s coach Marc Bridge-Wilkinson, he became a regular at the level, his progress recognised by signing a first professional contract a few weeks after turning 17 in September 2021.

It was also during that campaign that he first demonstrated his versatility, playing in a variety of positions in midfield ranging from attacking to defensive roles. He even popped up on the left, from where he scored in the 4-0 derby win over Everton U18s.

Last season, though, was when McConnell truly began to shine, starting the campaign as a fulcrum in the U18s central midfield and scoring in the 4-2 win over Manchester United.

He played a key part in Liverpool's UEFA Youth League run, with an impressive showing in the 2-1 win at Napoli setting the tone. He went on to start six of the Reds' eight games in the competition as they reached the quarter-finals.

McConnell also featured for an U21 side in the EFL Trophy, playing the full 90 minutes in an unaccustomed right-back role in the narrow 1-0 defeat at Rochdale in September. The faith shown by Liverpool in the player was further demonstrated by him signing a new long-term contract the next month, after which he made his Premier League 2 bow by featuring in the second half of the 2-1 mini-derby win over Everton.

Then, though, came the setback of an injury that ruled him out for several months before announcing his U18s return in February with goals in successive games against Manchester City and Nottingham Forest.

"We have missed James when he has not been available due to injury," said Bridge-Wilkinson after an impressive showing by McConnell in a 4-0 win at Newcastle United in April. "I thought he was really good at Newcastle. Obviously he is one of the older players in our group and he played with a mature head. He has got a lot of quality and I thought he showed that."

Indeed, the teenager ended the U18s campaign with a goal and an assist in the reverse fixture a fortnight later, and achieved another first by netting his debut strike in Premier League 2 when coming off the bench to head home the only goal for the U21s in their season finale at Crystal Palace.

Now McConnell will look to catch the eye of Klopp and his coaching staff in the hope of minutes in imminent friendlies against Karlsruher today and Greuther Furth next Monday.

The teenager has already packed plenty of landmarks into his Liverpool career. Few would be surprised if McConnell achieves another over the coming week.[/article]

I was at that game. I thought the keeper should have done a lot better as the shot was pretty central despite what the commentator said. Although he did put plenty of power on it.

Thought Trent kone Doherty was the best player in first half. And we weren't great in the second, but mainly cause or no3 (I think) went off and the centre back that came on for him struggled a bit.

Danns had a real thankless job chasing the ball as the lone, and fairly isolated striker. Sometimes the rest of the team weren't pressing with him which made it worse. Made it hard to judge how good he was.

Although he was big, strong and looked fairly well rounded.

They're still looking to sell him aren't they?

Supposedly back to the club we got him from?
Think he ditched his agent and now his family are supporting him.

Not sure, although Dudek mentioned in a interview this May "he needs to stay focused and out of the media".

[article]
Providing his take on the teenager, Dudek said: “I have seen a few bits of him on YouTube and he is a very talented player, very skilful. Little Messi. Let’s hope he’s going to make it. He has got great potential, but he needs to stay focused and out of the media. This can always be distracting, but he has smart people around him and the club can help him too.

“It depends on the character of the person,”
added the 50-year-old of Musialowski’s ‘Polish Messi’ tag. “Some players take this as an opportunity to be bigger and they feel better with this nickname. I don’t think they are going to take it seriously, they are going to work for their own name in the future. It is always nice if someone can say you are more or like a young Messi, this is a big compliment. It tells you everything about his talent.”
[/article]

Last edited:
No Doak, Clark, Quansah and McConnell all missing from u21’s tonight.

Mrozek; Miles, Scanlon, Chambers, Stephenson; Norris, Hill, Musialowski; Frauendorf, Cannonier, Kone-Doherty

Subs: Kelly, Pilling, Davidson, Morrison, Pinnington.

Last edited:
Not sure, although Dudek mentioned in a interview this May "he needs to stay focused and out of the media".

[article]
Providing his take on the teenager, Dudek said: “I have seen a few bits of him on YouTube and he is a very talented player, very skilful. Little Messi. Let’s hope he’s going to make it. He has got great potential, but he needs to stay focused and out of the media. This can always be distracting, but he has smart people around him and the club can help him too.

“It depends on the character of the person,”
added the 50-year-old of Musialowski’s ‘Polish Messi’ tag. “Some players take this as an opportunity to be bigger and they feel better with this nickname. I don’t think they are going to take it seriously, they are going to work for their own name in the future. It is always nice if someone can say you are more or like a young Messi, this is a big compliment. It tells you everything about his talent.”
[/article]

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/...transfer-after-rejecting-chance-to-move-home/

new signing from Leicester
949e66cff0ead62834c189ea6e2b6950.jpg

All you need to know about Trey Nyoni, the Leicester wonderkid set to join Liverpool
[article]The story so far
Nyoni was born in England when Umbrella by Rihanna was No.1 (if you want to feel really old). He represented the Young Lions at Under-16 level, but he’s also eligible to play for Zimbabwe through his parentage.

He only turned 16 in June but has already started making waves in youth scout circles, having caught the eye for Leicester’s Under-18s last season.

The young Foxes finished ninth of 12 teams in the Under-18s Premier League southern division in 2022-23, and Nyoni featured in 13 of their 22 outings, registering two goals and one assist. He also made two appearances in the FA Youth Cup.

He scored an assisted on his debut for England’s Under-16s last August, a 3-2 victory over Italy, and has since made a further six appearances at international youth level.

It appears as though the winger’s future lies away from Leicester. He looks set to continue the next stage of his development elsewhere.

“Thank you, Leicester,” Nyoni wrote on Instagram, seemingly confirming his exit from the King Power.

“I am grateful to all the players and staff at the club who have helped me develop over the past 10 years and I wish nothing but success to everyone at the club.”

Style of play
Viewed as one of the outstanding prospects in his age group in the country, it appears as though the strategy at Liverpool is for Nyoni to follow in the footsteps of Ben Doak – who joined their youth ranks at 16 with a view to him one day progressing to Jurgen Klopp’s first team.

Details on the starlet are somewhat scarce given his relative lack of experience, but his technical ability, close control and cool head in the face of opposition pressure have all been cited among his strengths.

What’s been said
“It’s really good to see Trey get on the scoresheet with a great individual goal,” youth coach Adam Barradell told Leicester’s official website after Nyoni scored in a 2-0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion’s Under-18s in March.

“He moved into the Under-18s squad just before Christmas and he’s getting to grips with Under-18s football. He’s a young boy and he’s had a good impact on the group which is pleasing to see.”
[/article]

Back
Top Bottom