• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Reserves & Youth Team Goals/Highlights

What’s happened to yer man that was the ball boy for Trent’s “corner taken quickly”?

[article]Liverpool under-18s suffered only their second league defeat of the season after Newcastle United came away with a 2-1 victory at the Reds' Academy base on Saturday afternoon.

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson's side took the lead in the 16th minute of the match through Jayden Danns, whose finish ensured he scored for the ninth consecutive match. The 17-year-old, son of former Premier League footballer Neil Danns, now has 12 goals to his name for the season in all competitions.[/article]

Last edited:

[article]Trent Kone-Doherty has had his impressive progress at Liverpool rewarded by signing a first professional contract with the club.

The 17-year-old winger has put pen to paper on a new deal having shone at the Academy since arriving from hometown club Derry City last summer.

Kone-Doherty, who can play on either flank, enjoyed a profitable first season with the Reds, scoring seven goals in 14 Under-18 Premier League North appearances - including six in his first seven outings - and another three in the UEFA Youth League before his campaign was cut short by injury in March.

The teenager, who only turned 17 in June, has made significant strides this season, scoring on his debut for the U21s in Premier League 2 against Derby County in August and making the bench in the EFL Trophy game at Morecambe.

Kone-Doherty has scored five goals in five U18 appearances this term, including a hat-trick in the 7-1 thrashing of Sunderland in his last such outing.

He has also progressed to the Republic of Ireland U19 side, and has already trained with the Liverpool first team under the watchful eye of Jurgen Klopp at Kirkby.[/article]

[article]Trent Kone-Doherty has had his impressive progress at Liverpool rewarded by signing a first professional contract with the club.

The 17-year-old winger has put pen to paper on a new deal having shone at the Academy since arriving from hometown club Derry City last summer.

Kone-Doherty, who can play on either flank, enjoyed a profitable first season with the Reds, scoring seven goals in 14 Under-18 Premier League North appearances - including six in his first seven outings - and another three in the UEFA Youth League before his campaign was cut short by injury in March.

The teenager, who only turned 17 in June, has made significant strides this season, scoring on his debut for the U21s in Premier League 2 against Derby County in August and making the bench in the EFL Trophy game at Morecambe.

Kone-Doherty has scored five goals in five U18 appearances this term, including a hat-trick in the 7-1 thrashing of Sunderland in his last such outing.

He has also progressed to the Republic of Ireland U19 side, and has already trained with the Liverpool first team under the watchful eye of Jurgen Klopp at Kirkby.[/article]

He looks around 12 !

[article]Liverpool midfielder James McConnell feels he's always improving training with senior players.

McConnell made his senior debut last week in the Europa League win against Toulouse.

“It was a great experience,"
he told the official Liverpool matchday programme of linking up with the seniors during the summer.

“I felt it was a big opportunity, especially as it was one with a challenge as I was playing in a position that I hadn't played in for a while, but I thought I did well and hopefully it set me up for further opportunities in the season.

“I was preparing for pre-season with the U21s so anything with the first team was a bonus and to play in all five games and to get a half in most of those matches was a big bonus. I didn't expect that at all.

“You learn a lot from being around the senior players. You see all the work that they put in and how they react after wins or losses, keeping level-headed and how professional they are. I think it really helps you mature quickly and get ready to step into the senior game.

“There's also loads of things you can learn from them individually. [Alexis] Mac Allister is a World Cup winner, [Dominik] Szoboszlai's a top, top player. You can only learn from people like them and [Wataru] Endo, Curtis [Jones], Ryan [Gravenberch] and Harvey [Elliott].

“They also give me little tips. For instance, Harvey was helping me when I was a bit unaware of some of the positional stuff."[/article]

[article]Liverpool midfielder James McConnell feels he's always improving training with senior players.

McConnell made his senior debut last week in the Europa League win against Toulouse.

“It was a great experience,"
he told the official Liverpool matchday programme of linking up with the seniors during the summer.

“I felt it was a big opportunity, especially as it was one with a challenge as I was playing in a position that I hadn't played in for a while, but I thought I did well and hopefully it set me up for further opportunities in the season.

“I was preparing for pre-season with the U21s so anything with the first team was a bonus and to play in all five games and to get a half in most of those matches was a big bonus. I didn't expect that at all.

“You learn a lot from being around the senior players. You see all the work that they put in and how they react after wins or losses, keeping level-headed and how professional they are. I think it really helps you mature quickly and get ready to step into the senior game.

“There's also loads of things you can learn from them individually. [Alexis] Mac Allister is a World Cup winner, [Dominik] Szoboszlai's a top, top player. You can only learn from people like them and [Wataru] Endo, Curtis [Jones], Ryan [Gravenberch] and Harvey [Elliott].

“They also give me little tips. For instance, Harvey was helping me when I was a bit unaware of some of the positional stuff."[/article]

He might be the next to come through - he’s looked assured in the DM position, in so much as he can at the age.

Competition for Badger in the future or maybe Badger gets to play further forward (or the hybrid RB role).

[article]Kieran Morrison scored an impressive hat-trick as Liverpool kept up the pressure at the top of the U18 Premier League North.

Morrison, who only turns 17 next week, netted once in the first half and twice after the break as the young Reds earned a 3-1 triumph over Middlesbrough at the Academy on Saturday afternoon.

Goalkeeper Kornel Misciur, signed in the summer from Hull City, saved a penalty as Marc Bridge-Wilkinson's side responded to two successive defeats by moving to within three points of leaders Manchester United in second place.

With top scorer Jayden Danns injured and Trey Nyoni with the under-21s, opportunity knocked for a number of younger players at the Academy as Josh Sonni-Lambie made his first start for the U18s.

Charlie Lennon missed an early chance for Middlesbrough when hitting the side-netting, while Francis Gymiah got his shot all wrong when found by Morrison's cutback.

Liverpool went ahead on 26 minutes, Ranel Young released into the area by Kyle Kelly's pass for a shot that deflected off a defender, goalkeeper Cameron Simpson and then the crossbar before winger Morrison tapped in the rebound. Middlesbrough, though, were level within 10 minutes, Rio Patterson-Powell crossing from the left for Frankie Coulson to side-foot home.

The visitors ended the half the stronger but Liverpool regained the lead two minutes into the second half when Morrison powered home a loose ball into the roof of the net. But they were indebted shortly afterwards to Misciur who, after Wellity Lucky fouled Patterson-Powell, saved a spot kick from the Middlesbrough man with his feet before the rebound hit the woodwork.

And with Middlesbrough pressing for an equaliser, Morrison capped the win in injury time when another fine strike went in off the crossbar to earn him his treble.[/article]

Last edited:

[article]Kieran Morrison scored an impressive hat-trick as Liverpool kept up the pressure at the top of the U18 Premier League North.

Morrison, who only turns 17 next week, netted once in the first half and twice after the break as the young Reds earned a 3-1 triumph over Middlesbrough at the Academy on Saturday afternoon.

Goalkeeper Kornel Misciur, signed in the summer from Hull City, saved a penalty
as Marc Bridge-Wilkinson's side responded to two successive defeats by moving to within three points of leaders Manchester United in second place.

With top scorer Jayden Danns injured and Trey Nyoni with the under-21s, opportunity knocked for a number of younger players at the Academy as Josh Sonni-Lambie made his first start for the U18s.

Charlie Lennon missed an early chance for Middlesbrough when hitting the side-netting, while Francis Gymiah got his shot all wrong when found by Morrison's cutback.

Liverpool went ahead on 26 minutes, Ranel Young released into the area by Kyle Kelly's pass for a shot that deflected off a defender, goalkeeper Cameron Simpson and then the crossbar before winger Morrison tapped in the rebound. Middlesbrough, though, were level within 10 minutes, Rio Patterson-Powell crossing from the left for Frankie Coulson to side-foot home.

The visitors ended the half the stronger but Liverpool regained the lead two minutes into the second half when Morrison powered home a loose ball into the roof of the net. But they were indebted shortly afterwards to Misciur who, after Wellity Lucky fouled Patterson-Powell, saved a spot kick from the Middlesbrough man with his feet before the rebound hit the woodwork.

And with Middlesbrough pressing for an equaliser, Morrison capped the win in injury time when another fine strike went in off the crossbar to earn him his treble.[/article]

[article]
Liverpool youngster Mateusz Musialowski could be set for a move to resurrect his career.

The youngster has been with the Anfield club since he signed in 2020, but his deal runs out in the next 12 months.

His agent, Cezary Kucharsk, insists he will not have a hard time finding his client a new deal.

Speaking to the Polish newspaper Przeglad Sportowy, he said: “We signed a contract with the condition that I would not persuade him to return to Poland.

“And I don't want to persuade him to return to Poland, but he has the most offers from his homeland.

“Most clubs want him. I think it should go to the Netherlands, Belgium, or maybe Switzerland."

[/article]

Last edited:
Meet the Academy: The level-headed and driven Calum Scanlon

[article]The sight of a pair of boots and framed shirt in the living room serve as a reminder of all Calum Scanlon has achieved and got left to accomplish.

The pieces of kit are his from when he made his senior debut for Liverpool. That came in October at Anfield during the second half of the Europa League meeting with Toulouse.

It was a moment to cherish and a significant milestone for the 18-year-old, arriving a couple of years after joining the club from Birmingham City.

"I use that as motivation for my next goals as I know the hard work never stops," Scanlon tells Liverpoolfc.com. "I still have so much to improve on and so many goals to achieve. I really do use them as a reminder of what's to come next.

"Obviously coming to Liverpool, that was always a target that I aimed for. When I first came I had a few injuries, so it kind of hindered my progress a little bit, I had limited game time. But I always had the same objective, the same plan throughout the whole time being here.

"Then obviously when it came around, I was ready, I've worked hard all the previous seasons for this. It was an amazing moment."

A second appearance followed earlier this month, again in the Europa League at Union SG.

Notably level-headed and determined, these traits of Scanlon are not only evident in conversation but translate on the pitch – whether at the Kirkby Academy or in front of a crowd of 50,000, as was the case for his debut.

The left-back says: "I knew I just had to play my game from the previous time in the Academy. Working with amazing coaches, Bridgey [Marc Bridge-Wilkinson], Barry [Lewtas], Alex Inglethorpe, they've always told me to be free on the pitch, enjoy the game, do what you do best.

"I just knew I had to go into the game, just enjoy it and do what the gaffer asked me to do. I thought that was important – to enjoy it and to work hard for the team.

"Of course it's always easier said than done. But when I come on into games like that, I just think I have to get the non-negotiables right. I've got to make sure I'm running – we're a pressing team, so I've always got to work hard. And as long as you're working hard, you're trying to do the right thing, I think the rest will follow.

"That really was my mindset going into the game – work hard for the team, make sure you're doing your job right and hopefully the nice things will come."

The nice things are coming – ones that have succeeded all of Scanlon's expectations when he made the decision to leave his boyhood Birmingham in February 2021.

"It was a no-brainer really," he says. "I knew what I had to do. I knew it was the best for my development.

"When I first heard Liverpool were interested in signing me, I was ecstatic. It was an amazing feeling. I went to the training ground, met the coaches and I knew I had found the perfect place to develop. It was surreal.

"It was an amazing club with amazing history, passionate fans. It was really everything you could ask for. I just instantly knew that this was a special club that I wanted to be a part of."

Scanlon settled in quickly and the sight of him flying down the left channel is constant in his outings for the U18s and U21s.

It's a side to his game he brought to Kirkby after playing further up the pitch in younger age groups.

"I think I was around U14s, U15s where I tried left-back," Scanlon recalls. "At first it took quite a while to get used to but then I realised I was getting much more of the ball.

"Ever since then, I've just enjoyed it and really felt comfortable in that position. Obviously I don't mind where I play, as long as I'm on the pitch.

"Obviously going straight into left-back, there's different demands of the game and I had to find quickly that defending was very important. I made sure that I was good defensively one-v-one and I'm still working on that to this day."

With his development rewarded with senior opportunities and memorabilia from them taking pride of place at home, what does Scanlon now want to achieve?

He finishes: "Obviously short term I just want to continue enjoying my football, giving my all every single day, every session, gym session, training – whether I'm off or on the pitch. I just really want to keep improving.

"Long term, I wish to break into the first team here. I've looked at players such as Curtis Jones, Trent [Alexander-Arnold], Jarell Quansah a recent one, Harvey Elliott, they're all amazing players that have had an amazing pathway and they've showed the younger players – like myself and even younger ones in the Academy – that there is a pathway and if you work hard enough then the hard work pays off, like they've showed.

"That's really what I'm looking forward to and hopefully I'll achieve one day."[/article]

Lewtas also had a word for James McConnell.

He added: "Unbelievable! For James to be on the bench at Anfield in the Merseyside derby and then start for us, I thought he did ever so well and took his goal well. He is showing us lots of different things to his game this year, playing as a No.6, scoring headers. It just goes to show what he can do."

Liverpool midfielder James McConnell feels he's always improving training with senior players.

“It was a great experience," he told the official Liverpool matchday programme of linking up with the seniors during the summer.

“They also give me little tips. For instance, Harvey was helping me when I was a bit unaware of some of the positional stuff."

Is this the best season in yonks in terms of academy success in the first team? Seems like it.

Yeah, was thinking the same. To think that Bradley and Quansah's last loan moves were at League One level.

Exactly why we need to be sending more young players on loan there and less to that crap up north that only ends up ruining their chances.

Exactly why we need to be sending more young players on loan there and less to that crap up north that only ends up ruining their chances.
Hence why I believe we won't be buying any more midfielders, but who knows now that Klopp is leaving?

Back
Top Bottom