• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

List your top 5 best LFC games you've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Since basically nothing is going on here, I thought I'd add to the nothingness with a random question.

Most memorable games, off the top of my head:

My list:

1. Istanbul 3-3
2. Barcelona 4-0
3. Olympiakos 3-1
4. Newcastle 4-3
5. West ham 3-3

Alaves? Dortmund in the EL?

Your own list! :)

Mine:

1) 4-0 Barcelona ... I know it's not Istanbul, but that game was something special ... It feels like we'll look back on that game as a 'turning point' in our club's fortune (MK II).
2) 3-3 Milan
3) 4-3 Dortmund
4) 4-1 Man U (Dossena chip).
5) 4-0 Real Madrid

Most memorable (for the right reasons) games I've seen live:

Istanbul, obviously
Juventus at Anfield with THAT Luis Garcia goal
Liverpool 3 - Everton 2 in the FA cup final (Aldridge, Rush (2))
Liverpool 9 - Crystal Palace 0
Liverpool 4 - United 1 (Beardsley hat-trick)

Alaves? Dortmund in the EL?
To be honest, I just posted the most memorable games off the top of my head. Alaves should be there I agree, but it just wasn't as memorable as the ones I listed.
Dortmund game, nah.

Of any game, live or on telly, Istanbul is still top, but I'd have to add Barcelona in this year's semi-final second leg, Alaves and also beating Chelsea in the semis (twice)

Your own list! :)

Mine:

1) 4-0 Barcelona ... I know it's not Istanbul, but that game was something special ... It feels like we'll look back on that game as a 'turning point' in our club's fortune (MK II).
2) 3-3 Milan
3) 4-3 Dortmund
4) 4-1 Man U (Dossena chip).
5) 4-0 Real Madrid
Oh shit, totally forgot the Man U and Madrid games, they were epic. Rafa and Klopp have delivered some great games, that's for damn sure.

Of any game, live or on telly, Istanbul is still top, but I'd have to add Barcelona in this year's semi-final second leg, Alaves and also beating Chelsea in the semis (twice)
I can't remember being more nervous than before that Chelsea game at home before Istanbul...wow, those last 10 minutes...

Last edited:
About that Alaves game...
When I think about it I remember feeling confident and quite relaxed ahead of the final. We clearly had a better team than they did. Winning it was a formality imo. We made it more exciting than it should have been. We lead the games several times and let Alaves back in through defensive errors.
The same could definitely be said about the West Ham game, the difference being that we're the ones who made the come back and obviously that super goal by Gerrard which is unforgettable

Barca. I don' think the Universe will ever be able to script a better one.
Istanbul.
Leeds FA Cup Final. Back then, it was a BIG deal to never have won the cup.
Inter Milan, EC Semis 1965 - my first time at Anfield
Dunno, too many to chose from. One of the finals v Everton at Wembley ?

Istanbul is the greatest miracle I've witnessed. Barca was absolutely amazing, but it's hard to top Istanbul. Primarily, because Milan at the time were easily the best team on the planet, and we were essentially a mid-table side.

Barca this year had the best player in the world, but I do believe we were the stronger side overall. The first leg's score kinda clouded that a bit, but we all know we were really unlucky that day, and Barca got lucky with some Messi magic.

Istanbul is the greatest miracle I've witnessed. Barca was absolutely amazing, but it's hard to top Istanbul. Primarily, because Milan at the time were easily the best team on the planet, and we were essentially a mid-table side.

Barca this year had the best player in the world, but I do believe we were the stronger side overall. The first leg's score kinda clouded that a bit, but we all know we were really unlucky that day, and Barca got lucky with some Messi magic.

We weren't a fucking "mid-table" side

We weren't a fucking "mid-table" side
Ok, an exaggeration, but as I recall, we finished 37 points off top spot. And had a squad littered with absolute mid-table players - Traore, Biscan, Smicer, Mellor, Pongolle, many of whom miraculously played a major role in our CL run.

1. Istanbul - for me this was the first HUGE game i'd ever watched
  2. Barca - the feeling of watching that develop will maybe never be forgotten
  3. 3-2 vs City in 13/14 - weird one to put in but when we won that I really believed for the first time I can remember as a Liverpool fan that we would go on to win the league
  4. Liverpool vs City - CL Semi First Leg - this was just awesome. We won with ease and some belting goals.
  5. United - 4-1 - 4 goals away at Old Trafford, you don't forget that.

It will always be Istanbul.

Especially after Olympiakos, Juventus and Chelsea. Can still remember every goal and even the people in the bar around me.

Also the next nine years were absolute shit and this was really all I clung on to during those dark times...hahaha

Hmm... games i was actually present to see which havent all been mentioned... hmm..

Hmm...

Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle
Liverpool 3-3 United ( back from 3 down)

Wasnt there for beating Spurs 7 nil but we did...

Whupping second placed Forest 5 nil was also a cracker

Most memorable (for the right reasons) games I've seen live:

Istanbul, obviously
Juventus at Anfield with THAT Luis Garcia goal
Liverpool 3 - Everton 2 in the FA cup final (Aldridge, Rush (2))
Liverpool 9 - Crystal Palace 0
Liverpool 4 - United 1 (Beardsley hat-trick)

His birthday today ...

Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0 - eclipses anything I have ever witnessed as a Liverpool Fan.. yes it even topped Istanbul.. The Manger, The team, The Fans.. The club.. the unity is something special and unique within this club... Incredible stuff... unlike 2005 the is a team that will be constantly challenging and winning things over the coming years
Liverpool 3 AC Milan 3 - Wow... what a night, incredible really.. rode our luck to the point one could argue it was destiny against a brilliant Milan side... six crazy minutes including a dodgy Gerrard penalty and a Wonderful 'but I did not know what I did there' dudek save... win on a penalty shoot out.. Brought home No5... Happy Days..
MAN UTD 1 Liverpool 4 - Sensational stuff.. UTD just couldn't handle the pace in the Liverpool side that afternoon... only disappointment we didn't win the league that year by drawing too many stupid games..
Liverpool 3 Man Cunty 0 - Destroyed them.. made them look ordinary with some of the belting goals...
Tranmere 1 Exeter 0.. Gary williams goal that saved them from relegation in the late 80's, that sparked a revolution at Tranmere under Johnny King to climb up the leagues...

Everyone is posting all the big ones. What is stranger are the random games that stick in my head. Some for the right reasons.

That derby when Gerrard got sent off about 15 mins in is one of them for me. At that time, Everton seemed more competitive in derbies and the entire world was convinced that our team would be relegation fodder if not for Gerrard. Everton supporters celebrated his sending off with so much spite and joy, it was clear they thought the game was theirs.

Instead we won 1-3.

Along the way, we were treated to a Neville scoring an oggy, a Garcia goal, and probably one of two goals Kewell ever scored for us that made him seem like the player he was meant to be.

Everyone is posting all the big ones. What is stranger are the random games that stick in my head. Some for the right reasons.

That derby when Gerrard got sent off about 15 mins in is one of them for me. At that time, Everton seemed more competitive in derbies and the entire world was convinced that our team would be relegation fodder if not for Gerrard. Everton supporters celebrated his sending off with so much spite and joy, it was clear they thought the game was theirs.

Instead we won 1-3.

Along the way, we were treated to a Neville scoring an oggy, a Garcia goal, and probably one of two goals Kewell ever scored for us that made him seem like the player he was meant to be.

For sheer enjoyment and a more recent vintage, the Suarez-led demolition of Fulham (away) was delirious, and the 5-0 hammering of Spurs at WHL was another Rodgers era highlight.

I think that was another 'Liverpool ends a manager's career' game, with AVB bombed out shortly after Spurs genuinely made Flanagan look like Cafu, and Suarez was just unplayable.

The 3-2 derby win at Goodison with McAllisters injury time winner was a beauty.
The Norwich home game when Suarez scored from all possible angles, was it 4 goals? Was just an insane game were one player was so much better than everyone else.

The 3-2 away win at the Ethiad after being down 2-0 early on and Kuyt getting the winner at the end. That was lovely as well. So many great games, its hard to pick 5.

Since basically nothing is going on here, I thought I'd add to the nothingness with a random question.

Most memorable games, off the top of my head:

My list:

1. Istanbul 3-3
2. Barcelona 4-0
3. Olympiakos 3-1
4. Newcastle 4-3
5. West ham 3-3

Those are some good shouts. I might be inclined to put the Juventus or Chelsea second legs from 2005 in the list as well. That season was unreal. My first as a supporter and what a ride it was.

I’ll through a few others in the mix

The FA Cup Final win against West Ham - those few seconds it took for the realisation that Gerrard’s shot had hit the back of the net.

Beating Man Utd 4-1 at OT - Torres destroying Vidic, Dossena scoring & a cracking free kick from Aurelio...

5-0 Vs Everton in ‘82 - Hansen’s passes & Rush’s finishing.

Those are some good shouts. I might be inclined to put the Juventus or Chelsea second legs from 2005 in the list as well. That season was unreal. My first as a supporter and what a ride it was.
Definitely, that entire CL campaign was something special.

Liverpool v Barca 2nd leg
Istanbul v Milan
4-1 win at United
3-3 draw with United after being 3-0 down
4-3 against Newcastle (the first one, Collymore closing in...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's been ones out of the blue that were just ace, that probably don't quite make it into the top 5, but were tremendous. That 0-5 against Spurs in 2013 gave us a real injection of belief that nearly propelled us to the title. Beating Madrid 4-0 at Anfield when we just looked unstoppable. The Dirk Kuyt hat trick game against Utd when Suarez just tore them to fucking shreds. The final against Roma in 84, which is the first European game I can properly remember (I somehow actually remember watching the Wembley one aged tiny, but absolutely nothing from the game- just the banners), just for the Spaghetti legs. I was a keeper and Grobs was my idol. None of these are in the top 5, but they're great memories all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom