• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool Football Club Statement on Matip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ok then, the real statement :D... Looking like Cameroon maybe throwing a spanner int he works..

[article="http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/250478-liverpool-fc-statement-on-joel-matip"]
Liverpool Football Club can confirm Joel Matip has been withdrawn from selection for today's Premier League fixture at Manchester United as the club continues to seek clarity from FIFA ‎as to the player's eligibility.

Matip, who was not included in Cameroon's final squad for the Africa Cup of Nations tournament, has previously communicated his withdrawal from consideration for international selection, with his last appearance for Cameroon occurring in September 2015.

The Cameroon Football Federation have failed to confirm that Matip can therefore play club football during the period of the Africa Cup of Nations. Liverpool have subsequently repeatedly sought, as a matter of urgency, clarity from FIFA in this regard. This includes assurances the player was called up for the tournament in accordance with the world governing body's regulations.

It is Liverpool's view that the player should be available for club football during the period of the competition and will continue to work for a speedy and unambiguous resolution.
[/article]

If Cameroon have been given the opportunity to clarify the matter and failed to take it, shouldn't we just have gone ahead and played Matip?

If Cameroon have been given the opportunity to clarify the matter and failed to take it, shouldn't we just have gone ahead and played Matip?
You'd think so.

I can only assume they've checked with the premier league & they've confirmed it'd be an issue if we did.

Perhaps he wasn't actually ready to be involved today so they are just trying to force the issue with the statement?

I think Fifa should enforce the change of African championship to summer like all continents Europe Asia South America confedaration cup world cup All are in the summer .June july

I think Fifa should enforce the change of African championship to summer like all continents Europe Asia South America confedaration cup world cup All are in the summer .June july

There's a very good reason they don't play it in June/July

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/klopp-demands-answers-from-fifa-over-joel-matip-772500.html

[article]"Our understanding is Joel is retired from international football and we, the club, did everything we had to do to make this clear but until now we could not get the response we need to be 100 per cent sure that he can play," said Klopp.

"It's pretty difficult and pretty frustrating, to be honest. He's been in training for five days and would have been in the squad, 100 per cent, maybe on the pitch today, so I don't think it's fair.

"But we cannot do more and are still waiting on the decision. We could not take the risk.

"But we need to get an answer as quickly as possible because on Wednesday we have the next game (an FA Cup third-round replay at Plymouth) and then another game and another game. We cannot wait forever.

"It is public now, we have this problem and we are not the only team with this problem."

West Brom have faced a similar situation with Alan Nyom, who has not played in the Baggies' last two matches because they have not had similar clarification from FIFA.

Klopp added: "I think Tony Pulis said a few things about it so I don't think that it is fair for the fans, for the clubs, for the team-mates and for everything.

"Now we have to wait in this moment and think about the game - and then after the game we will try again to get answers."

Liverpool consider the player eligible for selection and Press Association Sport understands they believe he has a stronger case than many of the other players who have refused the call for Cameroon given he has followed all the correct procedures associated with making himself unavailable for selection.

The club continue to push to get clarity from FIFA and the issue has been taken to the highest level with owners Fenway Sports Group now involved in the case.

However, as the world governing body has the power to ban players it feels have not correctly acceded to the request of their national association the Reds did not feel they could take a chance on playing the defender at Old Trafford.[/article]

Well, IMO that decision was a mistake. For a game against the Mancs I'd have taken the risk and played Matip.

We probably did the right thing not risking him. But we need him back quickly so this has to be resolved asap.

And faced the risk of him getting suspended, or even worst action against us?

Yeah, it would have been a risk. Imagine some kind of points reduction or whatever?

Unlikely perhaps, but this is FIFA and the equally corrupt and mental African football world

Well, IMO that decision was a mistake. For a game against the Mancs I'd have taken the risk and played Matip.
As much as I hate fifa, risking playing a player who is illegible to play usually results in a serious punishment.

My money would be on a points deduction.

It's fucking gutting, but I agree with the club's decision not to risk poking the bear in this instance.

As much as I hate fifa, risking playing a player who is illegible to play usually results in a serious punishment.

My money would be on a points deduction.

It's fucking gutting, but I agree with the club's decision not to risk poking the bear in this instance.
Surely if a player was illegible the ref wouldn't be able to write his name in the match report and everything would be good.

Its the clubs responsibility, not the refs. I dont think it would have been worth the risk. FIFA would obviously throw the book at us if possible.
He wasnt match fit and would probably not have started, but as an option for the last 10 minutes he could have been very good to have on the bench.

yeah, and he's not ready for a big game yet, but liverpool likely getting clarification ahead of the actual need to have the player in the team

So, FIFA are investigating it. Jesus to fuck.
They are the most incompetent people around. This will drag out until the end of the AFCON. No doubt.

I don't understand this at all. If he's retired from international football, and announced it, what is there to investigate?

Are Cameroon saying he isn't allowed to retire from international football? Is it an issue of vague wording?

If he hasn't retired, then one has to assume he doesn't want to retire, so the issue is moot.

In any case, loads of players announce their retirement, and then come out of retirement once the manager they hate has been sacked, so why not just do that?

I don't understand this at all. If he's retired from international football, and announced it, what is there to investigate?

Are Cameroon saying he isn't allowed to retire from international football? Is it an issue of vague wording?

If he hasn't retired, then one has to assume he doesn't want to retire, so the issue is moot.

In any case, loads of players announce their retirement, and then come out of retirement once the manager they hate has been sacked, so why not just do that?

I think the FIFA rule is that you don't have the authority or right to retire. Declaring yourself retired is little more than a gentlemen's agreement that you won't be selected again. Usually the national association plays ball, in this case they are being dicks. Regardless of Matip's declarations of being retired, he has to play for them if selected.

It's hard to have any sympathy, as most normal working people are unable to retire too. So fuck him from that point of view. From our point of view, then this bullshit has the hallmarks of that same idiot cunt lawyer we chose to represent Suarez. It's amazing how shit we are at telling people to fuck off.

I think the FIFA rule is that you don't have the authority or right to retire. Declaring yourself retired is little more than a gentlemen's agreement that you won't be selected again. Usually the national association plays ball, in this case they are being dicks. Regardless of Matip's declarations of being retired, he has to play for them if selected.

It's hard to have any sympathy, as most normal working people are unable to retire too. So fuck him from that point of view. From our point of view, then this bullshit has the hallmarks of that same idiot cunt lawyer we chose to represent Suarez. It's amazing how shit we are at telling people to fuck off.

That seems totally mad, regardless of how you view his intentions and reasons for not wanting to play for them.

If we really pushed this, it would be a simple matter to get that rule quashed on some sort of human/worker rights argument. It'd be worse than the Bosman ruling in terms of its importance, giving players the legal right to pick and choose their international games would effectively end international football once and for all. That'd be good. We just need a lawyer like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom