• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Manchester City Post Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our midfield is mediocre against quality teams unless we're pressing them at maximum level. No quailty service in the final third, just hopeful punts to Salah. Its been the same situation for the last 3 games.

Feel like it was a fair result. Leading up to the pen, Fernandinho goes straight through the back of Salah and it's a free kick all day. Instead that tit waves play on and that's what creates their chance. Justice was done draw was fair.

We’ve played Tottenham away, Chelsea away and city at home in our first 8 games, and we’re level at the top of the league, and we’re not playing well, if you’d have said that to me in August I’d have taken it.

We never got going today, City probably deserved a win there but we need the luck sometimes.

We have to find some fucking form, we’ve not played well all season bar one game, something needs to give.

I’m withholding judgement on Keita just yet, it is early days. Gini was fucking class today, what a game, VVD was immense bar the one fuck up and Alisson was cool, calm, collected and reliable as always.

Of our attacking players, I agree Salah was probably the best, looked the most threatening, it’s just not clicking for him atm.

Why are you thinking we aren't?

Because usually we have some players in form the pick up the slack for the ones out of form, and then that naturally builds back up

As the seasons progressed the absence of form has spread from Salah, to the other front 2, to the midfield (bar wijnaldum), and now to the full backs. Maybe even Virgil.

Add in the steadfast inability of klopp to change some players out of form, and we're we're gen going to be demotivated

Four games without a win, but a draw today was fortunate and so I'm not too disappointed with the result. The performance wasn't great though.

Just a shame that after spending 140m quid to fix the defence (today's stupid penalty notwithstanding), the attack has fallen apart and the midfield looks flat.

You can see why Klopp was desparate to sign Fekir.

Keita has looked shite so far, too. Brainless and tentative all game

We were poor but thankfully let off the hook by City at the end there.

Moment of the match was Lovren flattening Jesus with a great tackle.

Joint top in the League with City and Chelsea and we haven't been playing our best football.

Think about that one a minute..

Thats how you win titles... All the best teams have that sort of lull... When we click, we will be some force...

Last edited:
Lovren is good but quite slow.

I wouldn't break up the Gomez & Virgil partnership if both are fit.
we lose twice as chopping and changing the CB partnership is never a good idea, and as Gomez is no right back so we lose the right flank.

I'd also fast-track Keita and Fabinho, i think we'd be quite better off with a real DM in the side(we seem to be vulnerable at times and the full backs sometimes are reluctant to move further up the pitch, Fabinho can help balance the team and make us less vulnerable) and a firing Keita making forward runs from midfield carrying the ball is vital to the front 3 it seems.

I realise Klopp likes to integrate slowly but the team is not functioning right now and new ideas need to be tried out.

Alisson 8 So great having him between the sticks isn't it.
Robertson 7 always an option and kept possession well. Mostly kept Mahrez quiet too.
VvD 7 (a point deducted for giving away the penalty - he should have let Sane run it out)
Lovren 7.5 Made two great tackles, one on Mahrez and another on Jesus.
Gomez 8 Can't believe how critical people are, he had by far the most difficult job of the back five. He made a couple of small errors but look who was up against : Sterling, Aguero, Mendy and then Sane and Jesus, and yet he always involved in the play and he still got forward to put in a couple of good crosses !!
Wijnaldum 8.5 Control, technique just wished his passing to the forwards was more potent and more frequent but I guess I can't have it all.
Henderson 7 Did a great job today, tackling and pushing the team forward but I wish he'd lose those Hendo patented over the top balls which always go long.
Keita 6 Needed to do more, I felt like he didn't get into 'the flow'. However when he goes forward he makes things happen with his deft touch.
Milner 6 Not having a great game before he came off.
Salah 6.5 Little to no service but so much defensive attention.
Firmino 5 I wasn't sure he was even playing - worst game we've seen from him in a long time.
Mane 6.5 Lots of effort, which mattered, but ineffective and I feel he's starting to go down far too easily when if he stayed on his feet he can make things happen.
Sturridge 6.5 Lots possession once but his knack of keeping the ball set up a couple of attacks, close from Gomez's cross, could he have done better ?

Why are people just thinking we're gonna find form?

Because we’ve seen that team repeatedly play scintillating footy is why. It would be pessimistic to predict that they wouldn’t find that again.

I think Keita will adjust and be a significant player for us.

Yup, my gut says this too.
Partially because I watched a few of his games in Germany - kid can play.
Partially because I think he'll gel like most of Klopp's attacking signings after a few months (see Ox, Salah etc).
and partially because he has to overtake Titi as the best Guinean to ever play for Liverpool.

I'm a bit concerned in all honesty, how many shots on target in the last two games?

Not great but the unbeaten start in the league is hard to argue with.

I hope it all comes together soon

It's only good if we stop now, take a breath, sort out our problems and then push on. Our attacking game has just not clicked. Salah, god knows that the problem is - he can't seem to judge a basic pass, let alone a shot. We have to work like mad during the break to shake ourselves out of this mental torpor.

Someone will get a hiding soon I reckon. It's hard to judge though whether to stick with the three who did so well last year, or to now mix it up and make players force their way back into contention. I don't think Mane is playing particularly bad, or Salah, but they are both misjudging everything. Firmino has been a non-entity of late, which perhaps might explain why our attack has broken so badly, because his role is so instrumental in everything else working. It's hard to then throw in Sturridge, who by comparison is work shy, or Shaqiri who by comparison is too selfish. Hopefully it'll click sooner rather than later, but Klopp is stuck with either stubbornly waiting for the favourite three to come good, or breaking that up and risking unsettling his favoured system.

Lucky to have got a point.
But we're joint top of the league.
Chuffed.

Small point but we aren’t joint top.

We are second on goal difference.

Hopefully we can go on another run of 6 wins now and City stumble.

Edit - Third.

#Kloppout

Last edited:
I see Klopp is moaning about the fixture list.
Yeah, it was tough, but he didn't use his subs or rotate players.
He rather ran them into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom