• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool vs Burnley RAAAAAAAAATINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

manwithnoname

Bravo old man. Bravo.
Banned
I'm not sure if this thread exists and I'm just blind, or if the general chat is in the Klopp thread, but anyway, here's the always enjoyable ratings.

The game itself was a microcosm of our frailties, strengths and ongoing worries about Klopp's ability to build a team capable of winning the title. Does he have the required pragmatism? Because without the untold riches available to Guardiola at Abu Dhabi FC, we're going to need it.

Plenty of rotation, as several first team players sat this one out, and a new-look midfield was tried, but the formation looked skewwhiff, with Milner drifting very wide and Can dropping deep, leaving the middle of the pitch uncontested at times.

We had lots of possession and had a lot of shots, but too many were from distance, and once again the profligacy up front was costly. But we didn't need a top striker, just like we didn't need a DM, or two new CBs, or a new goalkeeper. Burnley deserved their draw, and stay above us in the league table with a goal difference of +1 to our zero.

Mignolet (7) The hokey-cokey nature of Klopp's goalkeeping selection saw Mignolet return, and to nobody's surprise at all, concede a goal. Wasn't his fault, and he claimed a couple of high balls well, although was left all at sea for a couple of corners and was grateful to Matip for a clearance off the line.

Alexander-Arnold (4) At fault for the opener and weak in the air all game, he was a liability in defence and mediocre in attack.

Matip (5) Another Keystone Klopp comedy defensive routine for the first goal, crashing into the hapless Binman to allow Arfield to score. Great save from off the line to prevent what would have been a winning goal for Burnley, but he's far too timid and weak in his challenges, for all his eye-catching football in possession

The Binman (4) Trundles about the box crashing into players like a possessed bumpercar. Made some good aggressive interceptions, but is too error-prone and clumsy.

Robertson (7) The best of the defenders, which is hardly much of an accolade, but he was busy, tidy, kept mistakes to a minimum and while he didn't seem to get that many crosses in while attacking, he showed signs of a decent level of competence, which is rare in a Klopp defence.

Can (6) Dropped deeper than usual in Henderson's absence, and there were times that his oil tanker mobility looked more obvious than normal. Got the ball forward well on occasion, helping create the equaliser, but scrappy on and off the ball and needed to be calmer and more authoritative.

Milner (6) Created two or three very good chances which were wasted, and was pretty solid, although he kept wandering far too wide. Decent enough.

Coutinho (6) There were several flashes of his quality, with a few turns and swerves into space that left Burnley gasping, but he was very wasteful with the ball, hoofing several long shots into the crowd, and not creating enough.

Sturridge (6) Not ever going to be the player and threat he was, with the electrifying pace and acceleration a distant memory, but his movement was still clever, and he crafted a few decent half-chances and openings, but only made the keeper save once.

Firmino (5) Some decent early workrate coughed up possession, but didn't create much at all, and never really threatened to score. He isn't suited to playing wide really, for obvious reasons.

Salah (8) In Mane's absence, easily our best player and biggest goal threat. Relentless effort, blistering pace and a constant menace, he scored the goal and probably should have had a penalty too. Has had a quite brilliant start to his Anfield career.

Can't argue too much with that analysis, we played quite well and it was not as turgid as some of the games last year when the build-up play was far too slow. This time we moved the ball quite well and maintained the pressure but what let us down was some awful shots on goal from promising positions and some poor judgement on the final ball.

Plus some predictably hapless defending. Klavan has completely lost his bottle and we would be better off trying Conor Masterson at CB, at least he can head the fucking ball.

I would dock Mignolet a point for being so indecisive in his distribution, the Kop wanted the ref to book him for timewasting at the end the clueless oaf.

Are you kidding me? Matip a 5?
He's surrounded by oafs.
Deserves a 6 at least.

Are you kidding me? Matip a 5?
He's surrounded by oafs.
Deserves a 6 at least.

I'm a bit confused by Matip right now. He's clearly not a terrible defender, the best of our bad bunch certainly, but even he is looking a bit error prone and getting caught out of position from time to time. It was the same last year too.

If we ever do decide that following through on the idea of buying a quality CB or two is actually a good idea, I'll be interested to see if Matip's level/consitency improves accordingly.

I agree pretty much with all your ratings. Matip would be a much better centre back if he attacked the ball more and was more assertive in his challenges. He did well to clear off the line towards the end but he's also part of a defence that allowed Burnley to get two free headers from consecutive corners. Probably our best centre half but that doesn't mean he's good.

It's very upsetting that we haven't had a CB anywhere close to as good as Jamie Carragher, and he retired nearly five years ago.

Christ, I miss Skrtel sometimes.

I agree pretty much with all your ratings. Matip would be a much better centre back if he attacked the ball more and was more assertive in his challenges. He did well to clear off the line towards the end but he's also part of a defence that allowed Burnley to get two free headers from consecutive corners. Probably our best centre half but that doesn't mean he's good.
How is Matip supposed to cover for his shitty teammates on corners?
I mean, his man didn't get two clear headers...
As I see it Matip is getting a lot of unnecessary flack.
Its not his fault that Klavan runs around and bumps into other teammates as well.

Last edited:
How Matip supposed to cover for his shitty teammates on corners?
I mean, his man didn't get a two clear headers...
As I see Matip is getting a lot of unnecessary flack.
Its not his fault that Klavan runs around and bumps into other teammates as well.
The goal was on Matips side. Klaven should not have got sucked in but Matip was never winning that ball. He never made it off the ground.

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk

How is Matip supposed to cover for his shitty teammates on corners?
I mean, his man didn't get two clear headers...
As I see it Matip is getting a lot of unnecessary flack.

Klavan had to come over as Matip had already dithered long enough for the player to get goal side of him. If Matip had attacked the ball instead of ball watching the player wouldn't have been able to take him out of the game. Klavan making a complete mess of clearing the ball only exacerbated Matips mistake not excused it.
I didn't say he was at fault directly for their chances from corners and gave him credit for clearing off the line but he has looked shaky whoever he's been partned with since he returned from injury last year. Up until christmas I had high hopes for him but now he looks as nervous as anyone when we're defending.

Matip is another player of ours who would look great if you plonked him in the best team in the world. In a lesser team where his contributions are scrutinized closer, and he might be expected to do more, he's often found wanting.

Is Matip our Henchoz? Do we just need to find the rock to sit beside him and form a great partnership. At the moment I can see his qualities but he's not impressing me a great deal, let's not get wrapped up in the forward runs either that's not important right now.

Salah & Matip - 7

Robertson & Trent - 6

Rest were 5s

TAA was poor. Nervous wreck all day and lost most of his headers. And his crossing when put clear was worse than Clyne on a bad day.

Robertson has alot of heart. But he has to realise he is playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world now. If he wants to go safe every single time he should just go home. Frustrating to watch him jitter out everytime.

Is Matip our Henchoz? Do we just need to find the rock to sit beside him and form a great partnership. At the moment I can see his qualities but he's not impressing me a great deal, let's not get wrapped up in the forward runs either that's not important right now.

Henchoz? He's nothing like him. Putting Hyypia next to Henchoz was putting two 'rocks' together.

Matip getting alot of unnecessary flack? Do me a favour, he's made mistakes this season too and generally looked ponderous and like he has a mistake or two in him. Talk about the age old 6cm thing, for our more slightly cultured players to get away with murder (see Agger, Wignaldum etc). Oh, and it's always from the same posters too. Go figure.

He's not had a good season so far, and there's only so much you can keep pinning on his teammates.

Henchoz? He's nothing like him. Putting Hyypia next to Henchoz was putting two 'rocks' together.

Not saying he is in playing style but he came on a free like Henchoz and at least in my eyes didn't have a big reputation. I'm not sure Henchoz was particularly special without a decent partner either, that's my main point.

Not saying he is in playing style but he came on a free like Henchoz and at least in my eyes didn't have a big reputation. I'm not sure Henchoz was particularly special without a decent partner either, that's my main point.

We bought Henchoz from another Premier league team for 3m, and he was partners with Hyypia, who was even less well known

We bought Henchoz from another Premier league team for 3m, and he was partners with Hyypia, who was even less well known

Really I always had it in my head he was a freebie. Yea fair play to Houiller for putting that together.

It's very upsetting that we haven't had a CB anywhere close to as good as Jamie Carragher, and he retired nearly five years ago.

Christ, I miss Skrtel sometimes.
I was thinking this yesterday. How much better is Skrtel than The Hound and Lovren?

Fucking LOADS is the answer.
Skrtels mistakes were once every five games and he challenged for everything.
Letting him go was a monumental mistake.
Almost as monumental as not signing any defenders this summer......or last January.

Matip takes a lot of the blame for their goal IMO. Klavan was sucked in but Matip made no effort to clear the ball. Their striker was nearly allowed to take it down in the box between our two centre backs. Not good enough. I can't believe we bought Ox for 35 million when we didn't overly need him but didn't buy a CB.

All managers do things that confuse and frustrate us. Rafa had his quirks, so had Rodgers and now Klopp's odd quirk seems to be his total lack of awareness when it comes to our defense. Changing keepers from game to game, different FB's, different CB's. CB's not good enough, LB not good enough. Clyne would be welcomed back asap to play LB.

I thought Matip while shite for the goal was head and shoulders above the rest of our defenders in that game.

We were a lot more defensive in the ged / rafa year. Playing opening / expansive system will expose sub stand standard defenders.

We were a lot more defensive in the ged / rafa year. Playing opening / expansive system will expose sub stand standard defenders.

This. Both Ged and Rafa built from the back then added a world-class forward who could make or sniff out one or two crucial chances a game. If you are not hard to beat you will never win anything.

TAA was poor. Nervous wreck all day and lost most of his headers. And his crossing when put clear was worse than Clyne on a bad day.

Robertson has alot of heart. But he has to realise he is playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world now. If he wants to go safe every single time he should just go home. Frustrating to watch him jitter out everytime.

The rotation thing cannot be good with anybody trying to establish themselves. Playing every other game with different players all the time must be a nightmare.

The rotation thing cannot be good with anybody trying to establish themselves. Playing every other game with different players all the time must be a nightmare.

True. The problem with us is we make things so difficult for ourselves, we always have to go 90 mins hands on deck with little respite just to try to grind out a win. It takes alot out of the players physically and mentally.

Look at United and Citeh this season, most games are almost always over by 60mins and they down gear and get their rest. We hardly get that luxury so it is no surprise our players need to be rotated more regularly.

True. The problem with us is we make things so difficult for ourselves, we always have to go 90 mins hands on deck with little respite just to try to grind out a win. It takes alot out of the players physically and mentally.

Look at United and Citeh this season, most games are almost always over by 60mins and they down gear and get their rest. We hardly get that luxury so it is no surprise our players need to be rotated more regularly.

But it still all comes down to our pathetic defence. Even if we are 3-0 up after an hour no one can relax because we are so easy to score against and we ALWAYS give teams a helping hand to get back in a game. And without a class DM and a new keeper and a new world-class CB it will never change. not sure Klopp will ever get us there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom