• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Players Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot is the real deal, he just needs time and patience. Hes done superbly on his loan spell, happily leave him there for the season and reasses in the summer.

If Shaq is moving on theres the potential for him to take the step up to a squad role, but given his age and the need for games its very likely he will go out for another 6 months at least, hopefully to a PL side.

[article]Liverpool starlet Adam Lewis is the Pilgrims’ first signing of the January transfer window.

The 21-year-old wing-back, who is capped for England at under-20 level, joins the Pilgrims on-loan until the end of the season.

A product of the Liverpool academy, Lewis is highly regarded behind the scenes at Anfield, and boasts Liverpool icon, and current Rangers manager, Steven Gerrard, as one of his high-profile admirers.

Gerrard spent a spell as Adam's coach in the youth set-up on Merseyside, with the former England captain stating that Lewis was one of the best players going forward he had seen at under-18 level.

Having sufficiently impressed, Adam made his senior Reds bow in last season’s Emirates FA Cup fourth-round replay against Shrewsbury Town at Anfield. During the off-season, Lewis’ promising development secured him a long-term deal with the Premier League champions.

Adam joined French Ligue 2 side Amiens SC on-loan for the first half of the 20/21 campaign, where he made nine appearances. He will wear squad no.22 during his stay at Home Park.

Deal subject to EFL approval and international clearance.[/article]

[article]Ryan Lowe hopes the capture of Adam Lewis will be the first of many loan signings that Plymouth Argyle make from Premier League champions Liverpool.

Lewis, a highly-rated 21-year-old, will spend the rest of the season with the Pilgrims after cutting short a spell with French Ligue 2 side Amiens.

He has been brought in by Liverpool-born Lowe to compete for a place at left wing-back after a knee injury to George Cooper.

Lowe revealed that the England under-20 international had been on Argyle’s radar before they completed a permanent move for Cooper from Peterborough United last summer.

Midfielder Conor Grant has been filling in at left wing-back since Cooper was sidelined and now Lowe has addressed that area of the squad with the signing of Lewis.

Lowe said: “I’m buzzing. He’s a fantastic player, we have monitored Adam for a while.

“He was one we were monitoring if we didn’t get George Cooper. To get him is fantastic for us.

“We have been working on it a while. We knew he wasn’t playing many games at Amiens.

“With losing George, we felt we needed to solid up down that side defensively and attacking wise.

“He is a mixture between a Callum McFadzean and a George Cooper.

“Conor has been doing fantastic out there but in terms of competition we needed to make sure we added a little bit more quality, going forward and defending also.”

Lewis signed for Amiens on what was intended as a season long loan but after making six starts and three substitute appearances the deal was called to a halt.

That opened the way for him to complete a move to Argyle, with Lowe keen to build a relationship with Liverpool where more loan deals could be possible in the future.

Lowe said: “They have got to be right. Just because they play for Liverpool Football Club it doesn’t mean they are going to be right for us.

“We have got to make sure the fit is right. Adam is five minutes from round where I live, which is good because he’s on my wavelength and he’s a proper Scouser.

“In terms of Liverpool, they have been fantastic with us. We spoke to all the main and relevant people there and they have been different class with us.

“We want to build that relationship, that’s the first hopefully of many.

“They have given us an opportunity to work with Adam because they feel we are progressing in the right way, they will be coached properly and we play a good brand of football.

“It’s pleasing to finally get a loan off my hometown football club.”

Lowe has been aware of Lewis and his capabilities since his days as the boss at Bury.

“When we were at Bury we managed to get a game against Liverpool at Melwood and Adam played in it,” said the Pilgrims’ boss.

“They had (Alex) Oxlade-Chamberlain, (Joe) Gomez and (Rhian) Brewster playing.

“We had nowhere to train on the Tuesday and they said ‘Come, you will have your breakfast and dinner’. It was great.

“We played four 25 minutes and we won the games 4-0. That kicked us on.

“We saw Adam then and we felt he was the right fit for us now that we have lost George for a while.”

Lewis, who signed a long-term contract with Liverpool last July, will add some versatility to the Argyle squad.

Lowe said: “The fans will see a terrier who will get stuck in around the place. He jumps on presses very well.

“He has got George Cooper type quality, he’s very defensive minded as well as attacking minded.

“He predominantly plays at left wing-back but he can also play in that holding midfield role. He can spray a ball around.

“He’s that size where he’s dainty but gets up and down, and loves a tackle.

“He’s a pass finder as well. He has got a great range of pass on him so he can play in a few different positions for us

“He could probably even play in the eight position (central midfield) as well, hence why we have brought him.

“He can play that many positions because he’s a fantastic footballer and you don’t sign a long-term contract at Liverpool if you are not any good.”[/article]

[article]Speaking to Argyle Media, Lewis explained why he wanted a fresh challenge after his time with Amiens.

He said: “I was in France, obviously on loan, never worked out for me. When this came up, I was right at it, obviously because I haven’t played a lot.

“It’s a massive club, the manager’s great, the backroom staff, so I didn’t think twice of coming here.

“I can’t wait to get on that pitch and show everyone what I’ve got.”

Asked what his targets are for the remainder of the season, he said: “Get as many games in as possible, obviously in France I didn’t play as much as I’d like to.

“But I think here I’ll probably get the chance to play against better players, get my confidence back, and show all the fans and everyone in the Argyle family that I’m ready to be here.”[/article]

[article]Blackpool boss Neil Critchley is open to keeping hold of Liverpool winger Ben Woodburn.

His current loan deal is due to expire soon but the Tangerines could keep him until the end of the season.

The 21-year-old has made 10 appearances for the Seasiders so far this season and came off the bench for their 1-1- draw with Hull City at the weekend.

Critchley said: “That's a discussion we're going to have now (about keeping him). We wanted to get through this game and see where we're at.

“I thought Ben came on and did really well, he made a real difference. He looked bright and burst in behind to get the lad (Reece Burke) sent off.

“He also produced some good crosses and deliveries. That's a discussion we're going to have now and we'll see what happens with him."[/article]

[article]Liverpool are reportedly interested in signing Erling Haaland, with the Borussia Dortmund forward linked with a host of teams around Europe. However, one pundit believes the Reds already have their own version of the Norwegian in their ranks.

The Norwegian striker has been on fire since joining Dortmund a year ago, having scored 35 goals in 35 games across all competitions for the German side.

Dortmund have reportedly included a release clause of just £68million in his contract, but that clause won’t be valid until next season.

Regardless, the 20-year-old has been tipped to move on this summer, with Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United all interested.

And it seems Liverpool are also in the mix, with reports suggesting the Reds are monitoring Haaland ahead of a potential future move.

But Bundesliga expert Constantin Eckner believes they could have their own version of the striker on their books already.

Liverpool signed Nigerian forward Taiwo Awoniyi back in 2015, but due to work permit complications he has never been eligible to play for the club.

Instead, he’s been forced to spend the last five years out on various loans, with his latest at Union Berlin proving to be a success.

He’s scored five times in 12 league games for the Bundesliga side and has looked impressive, with Reds fans hoping he could be involved at Anfield before long.

And Eckner believes that while he isn’t at the same level as Haaland, the Nigerian 23-year-old plays in a similar way to Haaland and could be of use in the future.

“I think he’s found his level there, he’s what you would call a utility player, so he is perfect for the role they’ve given him,” he said.

“He works quite well for the Union Berlin system, which is also kind of direct, a lot of vertical passes, he makes a number of runs behind the backline.

“It’s a hard one to come up with a good comparison, I mean, in a way he reminds me of Erling Haaland with the runs he makes behind the line.

“Of course, he’s nowhere near the level of Erling Haaland, but just his style is somewhat similar, and he’s a good, not great poacher inside the box, he’s a decent finisher at least.”

Liverpool are going through something of an attacking crisis at the moment, having failed to find the net in each of their last three league matches.

Their goalless draw with Manchester United on Sunday left them trailing behind in the Premier League title race, and they go into Thursday’s game against Burnley knowing they need a win to keep the pace.[/article]

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-sunderland-player-ratings-4906716
[article]Adam Lewis 7 - Put Argyle ahead only 11 minutes into his full debut, sliding in to get onto the end of low cross into the Sunderland six-yard area from Conor Grant. Taken off shortly after the hour mark due to cramp.[/article]

Build up to the goal right at the start of the video (goal scored @ 0:21)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55731024
[article]On-loan Liverpool defender Adam Lewis needed just 11 minutes of his first league start in England to get on the scoresheet for the Pilgrims at The Stadium of Light.

Lowe says the 21-year-old left-back has impressed him with how he has applied himself in less than a week at Home Park.

"Credit where credit's due," said Rowe. "He's only been with us a short while but he's listened, he's learning every day.

"He's come from a football club that play a different brand and a different way. We play wing-backs and he's gone right in as a wing-back and he knows we want our wing-backs getting into the box to score goals because there's always chances there, and to see the two wing-backs getting a goal was great.

"We didn't plan on playing Adam early on because we know he hasn't played many games and his fitness levels might be a bit different.

"We felt we could use Adam out wide for 60-odd minutes while he played. I'm pleased for him to get his goal, he's a good kid, a good footballer and he'll keep playing and growing with us."[/article]

[article]Liverpool loan signing Adam Lewis already feels at home at Plymouth Argyle and says the style of play under Ryan Lowe suits him perfectly.

To cap it all off, the 21-year-old scored the first goal of his professional career on his full debut for the Pilgrims in their 2-1 win away to Sunderland on Tuesday.

Lewis spent the first half of this season at French Ligue 2 club Amiens, making six starts and three substitute appearances.

When the chance came for him to sign for Liverpool-born Ryan Lowe’s Argyle he did not hesitate.

Lewis completed his move last Thursday and made his debut as a substitute in the 1-1 draw with Crewe Alexandra at Home Park 48 hours later.

The England under-20 international then started the game at Sunderland playing at left wing-back.

He lasted for more than an hour before his lack of match sharpness took its toll and he was substituted.

Lewis told Plymouth Live: “It’s a different environment from being in France but I’m absolutely loving it.

“The lads have welcomed me in so much, every single one of them. I just can’t wait for the rest of the season.

“I will do anything for a good career. I didn’t think twice about it, I just wanted to get here as soon as possible.”

Argyle’s win at a rain-soaked Stadium of Light was their first on the road in the league since last February.

“As lads we said that we were not going to get starstruck by the stadium,” said Lewis. “We went there to put up a fight and we did that.

“The plan was to get at them from the first whistle and the lads were absolutely brilliant at it. We dug deep all game and we got the win.

“They (Sunderland) are a good team, you can’t take that away from them, but we never gave up.”

He added: “I was over in France and haven’t played for two months so it was good to get back out there and topped it off with the win.

Lewis opened the scoring against Sunderland only 11 minutes into the game with a close range finish after a cross from Conor Grant.

He said: “It was a dream come true. It’s my first professional goal. I saw Conor Grant look up, no-one was in the box and I just darted my run across the front post and got there.”

Skipper Joe Edwards was Argyle’s other wing-back against Sunderland and he also got on the scoresheet with the winning goal in the 55th minute.

Lewis said: “Before I came here and I looked at how we play and it suits me perfectly because I’m more of an attacking player.

“The same with JoBo (Edwards). We get forward a lot and hopefully we can get many more goals.”

Argyle should be able to use the confidence they gained from beating Sunderland when they play Sheffield United in the FA Cup fourth round at Bramall Lane on Saturday.

United have won only two of their 21 matches this season, including a 3-2 win at League One club Bristol Rovers in round three.

Lewis said: “We can’t look back now, we have got to always look forward. We have got the FA Cup game on the weekend against a Premier League team.

“Our thought is we can win that. We are believers, that’s all that matters.

“It’s just another game of football in our eyes. They are in the Premier League but we are a great team as well.”

All matches continue to be played behind closed doors during the latest national lockdown and that seems unlikely to change any time soon.

Nonetheless, Lewis has heard all about the support of the Green Army, both in terms of numbers and their passion for the club.

Lewis said: “I’m used to that back at home with Liverpool, the fans are crazy there.

“Hopefully soon enough the Argyle fans can get back into the stadium and I can play in front of them.

“I’m not really thinking about myself at the moment. I just want to think about the team. Our aim is make the play-offs, and that’s it.”[/article]

Fuck my life Harvey could be a bit food for us couldn't he?

Half kill for his creativity for us now

Millar's goal for Charlton at 0:22. They beat MK Dons 1-0.

[article]The Addicks Manager reserved special praise for Canada international Millar. He said: “I have to say Liam Millar defended the far post outstandingly well, for a young lad right at the death there, maybe 87th or 88th minute, they put a great cross in and he just got a little toe onto it. I was really pleased with him tonight.”[/article]

[article]Liverpool are reportedly interested in signing Erling Haaland, with the Borussia Dortmund forward linked with a host of teams around Europe. However, one pundit believes the Reds already have their own version of the Norwegian in their ranks.

The Norwegian striker has been on fire since joining Dortmund a year ago, having scored 35 goals in 35 games across all competitions for the German side.

Dortmund have reportedly included a release clause of just £68million in his contract, but that clause won’t be valid until next season.

Regardless, the 20-year-old has been tipped to move on this summer, with Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United all interested.

And it seems Liverpool are also in the mix, with reports suggesting the Reds are monitoring Haaland ahead of a potential future move.

But Bundesliga expert Constantin Eckner believes they could have their own version of the striker on their books already.

Liverpool signed Nigerian forward Taiwo Awoniyi back in 2015, but due to work permit complications he has never been eligible to play for the club.

Instead, he’s been forced to spend the last five years out on various loans, with his latest at Union Berlin proving to be a success.

He’s scored five times in 12 league games for the Bundesliga side and has looked impressive, with Reds fans hoping he could be involved at Anfield before long.

And Eckner believes that while he isn’t at the same level as Haaland, the Nigerian 23-year-old plays in a similar way to Haaland and could be of use in the future.

“I think he’s found his level there, he’s what you would call a utility player, so he is perfect for the role they’ve given him,” he said.

“He works quite well for the Union Berlin system, which is also kind of direct, a lot of vertical passes, he makes a number of runs behind the backline.

“It’s a hard one to come up with a good comparison, I mean, in a way he reminds me of Erling Haaland with the runs he makes behind the line.

“Of course, he’s nowhere near the level of Erling Haaland, but just his style is somewhat similar, and he’s a good, not great poacher inside the box, he’s a decent finisher at least.”

Liverpool are going through something of an attacking crisis at the moment, having failed to find the net in each of their last three league matches.

Their goalless draw with Manchester United on Sunday left them trailing behind in the Premier League title race, and they go into Thursday’s game against Burnley knowing they need a win to keep the pace.[/article]

[article]The Addicks Manager reserved special praise for Canada international Millar. He said: “I have to say Liam Millar defended the far post outstandingly well, for a young lad right at the death there, maybe 87th or 88th minute, they put a great cross in and he just got a little toe onto it. I was really pleased with him tonight.”[/article]

At 0:32 well worth a watch. Very well taken goal.

[article]The Liverpool forward, operating on the right flank, once again took the plaudits at the weekend after further improving his impressive numbers for the campaign.

Except this isn't Mohamed Salah we are talking about.

While the Egyptian was moving on to 19 goals in 28 appearances this term with his brace in the FA Cup defeat at Manchester United, a few hours earlier Harvey Elliott was continuing to bolster his own burgeoning reputation.

Elliott, on a season-long loan at Championship side Blackburn Rovers, was the creator for Joe Rothwell to score the only goal in a 1-0 triumph at Middlesbrough.

It progressed the 17-year-old to eight assists for the season, the highest tally in the Championship alongside another teenager, 19-year-old Michael Olise of Reading. Four have come in his last five league games.

"He's been performing extremely well!" says Jaquob Crooke, Blackburn Rovers reporter for Lancs Live. "Expectations were pretty high upon his arrival but he's exceeded those.

"His abilities have been a vital asset to this Blackburn team but it's his maturity and professionalism that stands out above all else.

"His passing range is sublime - whether it be short or long - and he possesses the vision to predict situations and spot the run of a team-mate that not many other members of the squad would be able to see.

"And from a defensive perspective we're seeing increased contributions as the season progresses."

Having featured in every game for which he has been eligible for Blackburn - starting all but two - it's clear the Liverpool youngster has the trust of Rovers boss Tony Mowbray.

"Mowbray absolutely adores him," says Crooke. "I'm sure he will be having conversations with Jurgen Klopp if it's possible to keep him next year.

"Mowbray said in an interview last month how he urges his team to give Elliott the ball at the earliest convenience, purely because he trusts him to make the correct decisions. And it can take a lot to earn Mowbray's trust but the pair have formed a very special relationship.

"As for the players, they're similarly in awe but it's his relaxed, affable demeanour that make him such a likeable character in the dressing room.

"Bradley Dack - Blackburn's star man who has just returned from an ACL injury - spoke of how he relished teaming up with Elliott as he edged closer to a first-team return.

"He likes him that much that both he and Ben Brereton dragged Elliott onto a Rovers superstore episode - if you haven't seen it, I urge you give it a watch. Let's just say he isn't ready for a career in acting."

While the amateur dramatics may not be up to scratch, Elliott's numbers on the field are eye-catching.

He has also notched four goals, and factor in his assist for Curtis Jones in Liverpool's League Cup win at Lincoln City back in September, the youngster now has 13 goal involvements in 22 outings this season.

And in the Championship, only three players - including Harry Wilson, on loan from Liverpool at Cardiff City - play on average more key passes per game.

"Assists can always be a sketchy statistic - against Sheffield Wednesday he made a short pass to Joe Rothwell who proceeded to skip past four players and finish - but his creativity levels have been astonishing," says Crooke.

"He's progressive, proactive and then you only have to look at his defence-splitting passes against Birmingham City, Preston North End and Watford to understand how Elliott possesses the spark that can alter the complexion of a game entirely with one divine throughball. I think that's his biggest weapon."

Not that Elliott is anything like the finished article just yet. At such a tender age - he became the youngest player to start a Liverpool game in September 2019 - there is plenty of room and time for improvement.

"He just needs to be more selfish!" adds Crooke. "But he's learning that. It's all part of the experience when it comes to decision-making.

"There were instances where he had great opportunities to shoot but opted to pass and the opportunity then diminished. If he was a bit more selfish he'd have chalked up a few more goals by this stage.

"In the last couple of weeks he's struggled to replicate his early intensity but given that he's featured in every game except one since joining the club in October, he's done astonishingly well to have not burnt out by this stage.

"I would argue that he could probably have an impact on the Liverpool team now, a creative spark that can dissect opponents and pull defensive markers from spaces of which his team-mates can exploit.

"It promises to be a big second-half of the season for Blackburn, having fallen behind in their pursuit for a top-six finish but Elliott will be a key influence in dictating whether Rovers are successful in their play-off quest."
[/article]

Goal @0:59

[article]Cardiff City's on loan Liverpool player Sheyi Ojo has dedicated his goal in last night's 2-2 draw with Barnsley to Bluebirds team-mate Sol Bamba.

All Nigeria Soccer reports the winger has dedicated his most recent goal to Ivory Coast international Sol Bamba who has started a course of chemotherapy treatment after he was confirmed to be suffering from cancer.

Writing on Instagram, Ojo said: "Sol Bamba we fight with you brother.. that Goal was for you."[/article]

[article]Liam Millar knows there is plenty of room for improvement in his game despite hitting the midweek matchwinner for Charlton.

The 21-year-old Canadian, who joined on loan from Liverpool earlier this month, fired in the clincher at Milton Keynes on Tuesday night.

It was Millar’s sixth appearance for the Addicks and the rightfooted winger, who operates down the left, reckons he is already beginning to play to his strengths for the South Londoners.

“I was brought in to carry the ball forward and drive at players,” said the Reds youngster. “It’s my best asset, getting the ball and taking on people one-v-one.

“My final ball needs to improve but I’m doing really well at picking up the ball and getting the team forward.”

Millar’s diligent defensive work was also noticeable in Buckinghamshire.

“It’s not something that every winger wants to do,” he said. “You want to attack, score goals and get assists. But when teams play wing-backs it is my job to deal with them. You have to work back.

“You put your head down and do it. Then when you get your chance to go forward you need to make the most of it.”

Millar has also played at the tip of a midfield diamond for the Addicks but prefers a wider role where he can cut inside.

“Left wing is my favoured position,” he said. “I do enjoy playing that free roam ‘10’ where I can drift from in to out.

“It’s important that players are versatile and can play more than one position because it gets you in the team more. Everyone just wants to play.”

Millar’s only previous spells away from the Merseysiders were two stints with Scottish side Kilmarnock.

He has started all six matches since opting for a temporary move to Charlton.

“It’s obviously a lot different from U23s football,” said Millar.

“When I first came in I was blowing a little bit, because the intensity is just so different.

“I’m starting to get into the game more and the rhythm.

“I can tell the midfielders trust me now. They give me the ball – I can do what I can do.”

Millar has praised former Portsmouth midfielder Gary O’Neil, now U23 assistant coach at Anfield, for his help.

“Me and Gaz have worked a lot on cutting inside and finishing. He’s helped me loads. I’m really grateful.

“I’ve always needed to improve my final ball and sometimes on my finishing. It’s great I can see progress. I can see myself getting better and better at it every week.”[/article]

Elliot's loan looks to be having exactly the right effect on his development. Lots of minutes and he's thriving. I wonder if he'd become part of the squad next season or another loan, perhaps in the PL.

Paul Joyce:

The dazzling showreel highlights defence-splitting passes, nutmegs, mazy dribbles and shots curled, left-footed, into the top corner. More than that, it reveals a Liverpool player in blistering form.

Harvey Elliott is unique in that respect, despite all the hints at a revival demonstrated in the victory by Jürgen Klopp’s side away to Tottenham Hotspur last night. That the 17-year-old is accelerating his development on loan at Blackburn Rovers, rather than Anfield, should not detract from the eye-catching progress he is making.

Elliott has 12 goal involvements — four strikes and eight assists — in 20 league appearances for the side lying tenth in the Sky Bet Championship, who are at home to Luton Town tomorrow. It continues a remarkable rise for the teenager, who at 16 years and 174 days became the youngest player to start a first-team game for Liverpool when making his debut in September 2019 against MK Dons in the Carabao Cup.

“Someone told me before the Middlesbrough game last week that he has the most goals and assists combined of any teenager in the top ten leagues in Europe,” the Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray told The Times. “It is unbelievable to think how advanced he is for such a tender age.”

Elliott joined Liverpool in the summer of 2019 after turning down a professional contract at Fulham — an independent tribunal has still to determine the level of compensation the Anfield club will pay — and took the opportunity to move on loan in October to ensure regular first-team games rather than the unchallenging diet of under-23s football, for which he is eligible for the next five years.

Mowbray has found a youngster whose capacity to shape matches dovetails with an insatiable appetite to learn and polish his skills. It has made the process of trusting the right winger in a fiercely competitive league all the more easy.

“When he does what he does I think you can [trust him],” Mowbray said. “If there is a cliché of the 17-year-old in a playground who loves football, then that is what he is really.

“He just wants to join in everything we do. If we are doing a crossing session he wants to join in, if we are doing a finishing session he wants to do it, possession he wants to do it. I find it hard to say, ‘Harvey, enough today, get yourself in, have some lunch, go home and rest.’

“He is an infectious kid. It is great to see because we do have some lads who I am trying to get to do extra, trying to get them into the analysis booth with the coaches and look at their clips from the weekend and work through the areas of improvement. Harvey wants to stay until it gets dark, really.

“What does he bring? He brings class, he brings talent, he brings a weight of pass, he brings enthusiasm — all of those things. He is a pleasure to have at the club. The players can feel his talent.”

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F21454ac2-6247-11eb-86d9-8d012affb84d.jpg

Elliott has already featured for the Liverpool first team but went on loan to Blackburn to ensure more regular game time
PHIL NOBLE/EPA

Bradley Johnson, the Blackburn midfielder, is well placed to offer his insight. He was at Derby County when Mason Mount spent a season at Pride Park honing his skills as a 19-year-old, contributing eight goals and five assists in 35 Championship appearances from a central midfield role.

Johnson recognises Elliott and Mount as examples of the fearless, precocious talents that English academies have been producing more and more regularly in recent seasons.

“They are different players, but also exactly the same in some ways,” said Johnson, who shares the same agent as Elliott and was able to look out for the “shy” kid who first pitched up at Ewood Park. “They have all the talent in the world but they also have desire and know they have to work hard for the team. Harvey has that hunger in abundance.

“When he plays he is like a senior pro. His best quality is that he can win a game at any moment. No matter where he is, he can play a through-ball. He has a killer instinct. He is the best 17-year-old in the country.”

At some point in the future, Elliott must buck the trend. It is hard to think of a player Liverpool have sent out on loan who has returned to the club and forced his way into Klopp’s first-team squad, where the standard is so exacting.

Rhian Brewster was once earmarked to make that graduation but, after a successful loan spell at Swansea City last season, the 20-year-old forward was sold to Sheffield United for £23 million. Ryan Kent was 22 when he was offloaded to Rangers in 2019 after a successful loan spell.

Harry Wilson, presently at Cardiff City, has had various loan moves and the 23-year-old would be allowed to leave permanently, while Marko Grujic, 24, is at Porto and seemingly unlikely to force his way back into the fold.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F70c8dfaa-6247-11eb-86d9-8d012affb84d.jpg

Elliott has scored four goals and contributed eight assists this season for Blackburn
NATHAN STIRK/GETTY IMAGES

Time spent at Blackburn is far from a love-in, however, and Elliott has been on the receiving end of a few harsh lessons.
“It is unlikely that at 17 he is going to be playing for Liverpool’s first team, so I think he is in the right place, playing against men — not under-23 teams — and learning his trade,” Mowbray said. “That means getting shouted at sometimes, getting brought off, dealing with the negativity or a lack of positivity towards him.

“With all of my decisions he has been very humble, really. At the time, he finds it hard but that is OK. He has a competitive edge to him.

“It is not all about his talent, it is about the team and structure. But he is working on all that and I am sure if he is ever going to be a regular in Liverpool’s team he will have to have that discipline. Mo Salah plays off the right, [Sadio] Mané plays off the left, [Roberto] Firmino plays as a striker, or a withdrawn striker — you know where they are on the pitch.

“That is what Harvey is learning here: when to run, when to stand, when he is doing his defensive duties, how far back does he track the opposition full back? He is learning as he is going. Overall, we are fully enjoying having him at the football club and he is impacting our team.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom