• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a 100% fact that his performance today would have annoyed plenty of posters on here.

It's his supporters (see dreambeleiver's posts in the match thread) that annoy plenty of posters....not his performance.

Embarrassing cheer leader who hang on to even the slightest positive thing he does and shout DID YOU SEE THAT.....I swear if he was sitting next to me, I would have stabbed him...

He had a good game, there is no need to qualify that with anything for or against him. He was far from the most important player of the game as was being made out...

Last edited:
The problem with Lucas is he can't dictate the tempo so isn't a midfield general. While he isn't quick enough to be a DM against the bigger and quicker counter attacking teams, so gives away silly fouls and gets booked. Hence we get frustrated.

He was never man of the match.
Coutinho was brilliant. 1 assist, 1 goal, 1 amazing run pulling the defenders away for the first goal, 2 other shots on target and should have had another assist.

Lucas was great, owned the midfield, but Coutinho won the game almost by himself. Not having Lucas motm at all.

Oh and I also thought Wijnaldum was brilliant again.

He's a good squad player but for a team that wants to fight for the title he cant play more than 5-10 matches

He had a great game, but Modo can't help using this to get back to his pet topic. And given Henderson was one of the best players in the team throughout the first half of the season, it again suggests selective amnesia on his part.

To be fair he deserves some credit for at least making the attempt to hide his laughably stupid opinion behind the "oh of course we still need better than Lucas, but he demonstrates what a good DM could do" narrative.

Isnt he right though?
Henderson isnt a DM. We need better.

To be fair he deserves some credit for at least making the attempt to hide his laughably stupid opinion behind the "oh of course we still need better than Lucas, but he demonstrates what a good DM could do" narrative.

Yes, although it is very obviously his standard agenda driven drivel, it shows a quaint attempt at subtlety.

Isnt he right though?

He has been excellent playing in the 6 position. His injury problems mean we do need someone else, but he was the top of the passing, tackling and ground covered stats before January. We couldn't really have expected much better.

Isnt he right though?

Henderson can attack from that position. Lucas can't. The better player we need has to be more like Henderson, and nothing at all like Lucas. Otherwise we'll improve to drawing against teams who park the bus instead of losing to them. Wow.

Lucas is going to be offered another contract, isn't he?

He's never leaving, is he?

He's like a footballing herpes.

Henderson is not a '6'. Anyone who thinks we can effectively challenge for the league with him there is deluded. Probably the same fans who claim 'next year is our year'. Or if we have a good start say 'its our year'.

In a word. No. He's a good 8.

I think its quite clear that he's proven he can play as a number 6. But we obviously need another DM aswell

Henderson can attack from that position. Lucas can't. The better player we need has to be more like Henderson, and nothing at all like Lucas. Otherwise we'll improve to drawing against teams who park the bus instead of losing to them. Wow.
Seems to work just fine for Chelsea who play with both Kante and Matic.
We did something similar yesterday playing with Lucas and Can.

Seems to work just fine for Chelsea who play with both Kante and Matic.
We did something similar yesterday playing with Lucas and Can.

Yes, so long as you ignore the subtle almost insignificant difference of how many defenders we play with compared to them.

I don't think that defensive midfielders should exist. All midfielders should both defend and attack. One of Benitez' failings was that he liked to play two defensive midfielders in front of the back 4, even against teams that had come to park the bus, and weren't going to give our defence many problems. Thus we were effectively reduced to 9 men before the match had started. And so often dropped points against lower league sides.

I don't think that defensive midfielders should exist. All midfielders should both defend and attack. One of Benitez' failings was that he liked to play two defensive midfielders in front of the back 4, even against teams that had come to park the bus, and weren't going to give our defence many problems. Thus we were effectively reduced to 9 men before the match had started. And so often dropped points against lower league sides.
I agree to an extent. But there are times you want a midfield destroyer in front of your back four. Vs other top teams away for a start. And Henderson is limited in that role.

Any Red who doesn't love this guy doesn't have a heart.

I have no heart. Lucas played well. But some of the comments would suggest he was Souness reincarnated yesterday

I suspect low expectations and his status as the loyal 'Old Yella' of Liverpool makes any display that is above his usual level seem astonishing and is eulogised and exaggerated accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom