• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Manchester United (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gomez starts for me. Pace to burn and he’s just had the experience of being up against a counter attacking pair. Can’t remember which game it was but Klopp moved the back line a few yards back to guard against counters. With their pace up front, I wonder if he’ll do the same.

Agreed, Gomez needs to start with Rashford & Martial likely deployed on the counter.

Great for us that United are playing Wolves mid-week. I'm equally nervous and excited for the game, no matter how crap Maguire seems in open play, they are worse without him and we will be a huge threat at set plays without him in there.

As I predicted before our last game against them this will be a tough fixture. We know that they basically want to be and have only the tools to be a counterattacking side. The fact is those are good tools. Rashford always plays well against us, and he is perhaps the best player in the league (perhaps other than a fit Sane) at exploiting the space behind Trent. Martial is a quality player. Other than that they just need to put in the low block that will never be easy to break open. With that in mind if Shaq is fit I'd really like him to play in midfield, as he just has the craft and guile to pick out a tight pass between the lines.

As I predicted before our last game against them this will be a tough fixture. We know that they basically want to be and have only the tools to be a counterattacking side. The fact is those are good tools. Rashford always plays well against us, and he is perhaps the best player in the league (perhaps other than a fit Sane) at exploiting the space behind Trent. Martial is a quality player. Other than that they just need to put in the low block that will never be easy to break open. With that in mind if Shaq is fit I'd really like him to play in midfield, as he just has the craft and guile to pick out a tight pass between the lines.

Shaq is a great shout. I'd like to have seen a fit Naby in this one but I think a Shaq/Ox is essential to complement the front three. Gini & Hendo can manage Fred, Mata, Pereira.

You know who didn't play when we drew against Man U last time? Salah.
We definitely needed him in that game because of the tactics you just described.

Minamino may well get a chance to shine here, in a role behind the front three, but doing a similar role to what Firmino does when drops back to link up play & play balls through to the front, freeing up Firmino to terrorise their defence along with Salah & Mane.

Minamino may well get a chance to shine here, in a role behind the front three, but doing a similar role to what Firmino does when drops back to link up play & play balls through to the front, freeing up Firmino to terrorise their defence along with Salah & Mane.

I think it would be interesting to see Minamino in the central attacking midfield role, or at least be the player who is supposed to "break the lines" and "work between transitions" or whatever the fuck it's called these days: the CM player who has the most advanced and fluid position, with Henderson/ Fabinho/ Wijnaldum/ Milner further back and more disciplined.

Certainly, it's the role that we have sometimes seen Chamberlain, Shaqiri or Keita do (or expected them to), with varying degrees of success and regularity.

The issue or drawback is that Klopp often seems to worry about the shape and solidity of the team when this is tried out, and also that Firmino drops so deep, that he's playing that role himself anyway, as well as striker.

I think it would be interesting to see Minamino in the central attacking midfield role, or at least be the player who is supposed to "break the lines" and "work between transitions" or whatever the fuck it's called these days: the CM player who has the most advanced and fluid position, with Henderson/ Fabinho/ Wijnaldum/ Milner further back and more disciplined.

Certainly, it's the role that we have sometimes seen Chamberlain, Shaqiri or Keita do (or expected them to), with varying degrees of success and regularity.

The issue or drawback is that Klopp often seems to worry about the shape and solidity of the team when this is tried out, and also that Firmino drops so deep, that he's playing that role himself anyway, as well as striker.
That last point is what I mean. Minamino seems to have the work rate to get right back & get stuck in but also do that 'transitional' & breaking lines bit that we want Shaq to do.

I can see why klopp wouldn't want to try it away against a Mourinho side, for obv reasons, but at home against a side who want to let us have the ball & don't have as many physical players, I think it could be something he'd try.

Craig Pawson is the ref for the game and Paul Tierney the VAR assistant
So, we've got a decent record with Pawson reffing, but then again, he hasn't reffed that many big games. At Anfield we've had 7 wins and 2 draws with him in charge. His only game between us and the Mancs was when he reffed the really shit 2:1 defeat to the scum in 2018, with Rashford torturing Trent and scoring a first half double. Let's hope we see a very different game.

So, we've got a decent record with Pawson reffing, but then again, he hasn't reffed that many big games. At Anfield we've had 7 wins and 2 draws with him in charge. His only game between us and the Mancs was when he reffed the really shit 2:1 defeat to the scum in 2018, with Rashford torturing Trent and scoring a first half double. Let's hope we see a very different game.

Paul Tierney has been the VAR ref for someone decisions that have gone in our favour as well.

Paul Tierney has been the VAR ref for someone decisions that have gone in our favour as well.

As he has duly been instructed to give us by the Pope, FA, The Queen, FIFA, Sky sports, BT sports, Amazon Prime, BBC MOTD and a whole vbunch of other stakeholders who all of a sudden got tired of Man City and Pep Guardiola dominating the game for decades and therefor used VAR to put a stop to it.

For the gamblers out there this will be my third visit to Anfield this season with Arsenal and City being the other 2. That was a free tip from me.
So we won both our games when you went to Anfield this season! You must be a lucky charm. Shame yo didn't go to the other 9 as well!

So we won both our games when you went to Anfield this season! You must be a lucky charm. Shame yo didn't go to the other 9 as well!

Just a small gamble tip that the games I attend this season ends 3-1. You don't have to put any does on it but don't moan afterwards.

BTW most people attending games at Anfield this season will have a all win record.

Just curious what 9 you refer to?

Other 9 home league games.

Was thinking that we won all our home games (except Napoli) so reporting a 100% winning record in games attended doesn't carry the weight it often does. Didn't think of the scoreline. You just missed out on Newcastle for the 3-1 set.

If you can keep your 3-1 record up this weekend I will be very happy - though, as I am not a gambling man, it will be without the financial gain.

As he has duly been instructed to give us by the Pope, FA, The Queen, FIFA, Sky sports, BT sports, Amazon Prime, BBC MOTD and a whole vbunch of other stakeholders who all of a sudden got tired of Man City and Pep Guardiola dominating the game for decades and therefor used VAR to put a stop to it.
And don't forget the Colonel, with his wee beedy eyes.

And the eastern betting markets.

Fuck that, we're on a clean sheet roll
You can stick your clean sheet roll up your ..... never mind. Yes - would love to win with another clean sheet, but I just want the win, and if it can be a little less stressful than most, that would be appreciated.

Liverpool duo Fabinho and Joel Matip returned to full training on Wednesday ahead of the Super Sunday clash with Manchester United.
Midfielder Fabinho has been out since an ankle injury forced him off in the 1-1 draw with Napoli on November 27, while centre-back Matip has not played since Liverpool last met Manchester United on October 20 when he suffered a recurrence of the knee injury he first picked up in the win at Sheffield United.

Alisson Fab Lallana Ox Minamino Mane Firmino
If fab is fit, I think it is too bigger game to start him in, just coming back from injury after so long, GK Alisson Back Four should be Trent Gomez Virgil Robbo Midfield Henderson,Gini,Lallana, The front three Mane,Frimino Salah Bench Adrian, Matip, Fabinho, Jones,Shaqiri,Minamino, Origi

If fab is fit, I think it is too bigger game to start him in, just coming back from injury after so long, GK Alisson Back Four should be Trent Gomez Virgil Robbo Midfield Henderson,Gini,Lallana, The front three Mane,Frimino Salah Bench Adrian, Matip, Fabinho, Jones,Shaqiri,Minamino, Origi
I'd be tempted to give Fabs an hour max if fit enough.. then bring Lallana on and shift Hendo back.

Otherwise agree with your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom