• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's his first goal again. And for the record, I thought Salah was going to be a duff signing as well.

Really. In the Klopp era, Jurgen knows best.

Finally, we can say again "In Jurgen we trust"

Oh man, you were all so wrong.

Some renowned posters claiming this would be terrible :)

Not too many; a lot of us were positive on this, even @Glen C was optimistic for once...

My post from that thread:
Mane's streakiness concerns me somewhat, but I also think that he has room to grow and become an even better and possibly more consistent player – he is not a player who is already at his peak like Downing was when we bought him or a fundamentally flawed or limited player like Carroll and Benteke (I'm throwing these names around not because they are in any way similar to Mane, but because people keep using them and others as examples why buying expensive EPL players is supposedly always a bad idea). I think we should judge each player on his own merits and not let only superficially related examples cloud our judgement. Mane is a technically solid, versatile, intelligent player who still has room for improvement – let's stop beating him with a "Downing" or "Lallana" stick.

[article]
On this day in 2016, Liverpool completed the signing of striker Sadio Mane from Southampton.

The Senegal international made the switch from St. Mary’s to Anfield for a fee of £30million in what was the first major transfer of the Jurgen Klopp era.

It was a second bite of the transfer cherry for the Reds boss, who had admitted not signing Mane for Borussia Dortmund was one of his ‘biggest mistakes’.

The German coach was certainly overjoyed with the then 24-year-old's arrival, but a portion of Liverpool fans were under whelmed and unsure.

In the age of social media many supporters were vocal in expressing these concerns across the various platforms.

Some complained the fee was excessive, others were annoyed Liverpool had signed yet another Southampton player, while some were simply unconvinced by Mane's ability to flourish at Anfield.

Playing primarily as a winger, Mane had scored 25 goals in 75 appearances at St Mary's - including two in a comeback victory against the Reds - but that didn't seem to be enough to win fans over.

Liverpool had previously expressed an interest in World Cup winner Mario Gotze, and many fans believed that the Reds had missed out on the better player.

But Mane got straight to work in silencing his critics and proving himself to be one of the world's best from the very start.

On the opening day of the 2016/17 campaign Liverpool faced Arsenal in a thrilling tie, but it was the Reds' new number 19 who stole all the headlines with a sublime debut goal as Klopp's men ran out 4-3 winners.

His jaunting solo run saw him bypass the Gunners' defence, and he sent an arrowed finish into the top of the net.

A strike as famous for its craft as it was for the ensuing celebration chaos.

Mane ran hurriedly towards the technical box, his arms swimming through the air - he wanted to celebrate with the man who made this moment possible.

And that man, Klopp, welcomed him in the most spontaneous way as he offered Mane an impromptu piggy back ride.

That was the start, those who had questioned the Senegalese star would begin to eat their words and delete their tweets.

It was a landslide from there on in, Mane would go on to secure his legendary status with 59 goals and counting.

He not only paved the way on the Road to Madrid with a blindingly memorable effort against Bayern Munich, but last season he scored 22 times in the Premier League and was joint top-scorer.

Along with helping Liverpool secure that historic sixth European Cup, Mane has done something else, he has changed fans willingness and acceptance when it comes to transfers.

He is the bedrock success story which aids Michael Edwards and Klopp's work in the transfer market.

Most Reds’ fans will now no longer question the transfer fee of a player because Mane proved their doubts to be wrong.

When Virgil van Dijk arrived in January 2018 for a record-breaking sum of £75million, the only noises being made by Liverpool fans were ones of excitement not trepidation.

The need for a rock-solid central defender was obvious and Van Dijk, now regarded by many as the world's best, was the cure.

When Alisson was bought from Roma for £65million fans expressed gratitude and optimism.

Last summer’s other arrivals Naby Keita and Fabinho cost £52million and £39.3million respectively.

In 2017, Mohamed Salah was £36.9million and a deadline day deal saw Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain come in for £35million.

None of these fees have been a big issue for Liverpool’s fan base and that’s because of Mane’s hit the ground running success.

Supporters of other clubs have of course questioned the transfer fees of the Reds' signings.

But they have been answered with a blistering 97 points return, teamed with Champions League glory.

Mane proved so many wrong, and in doing so restored the fans' trust in the transfer market.
[/article]

Our thread discussing about him signing for us back in 2016: http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/sadio-mane.85933/ :D

That's a very good thread, funny and some well-argued thoughts.

And there was plenty of people who thought it was a good signing. Plenty

Did my own digging, fuck me I have 119 replies in the 'L' thread...
Talk about obsessed.

"In the unlikely event Mane totally outperforms my expectations, i unreservedly apologise for being neagtive and wrong".

Name the poster? [emoji28]

Rosco?

I thought I would've posted in that thread but I never. I vaguely remember being underwhelmed with signing him, though I thought he was a decent player. Think it was mainly due to another huge fee from Soton when we'd been stung a few times before.

He was phenomenal in his debut, though, and won me over instantly. Was well better than I thought, and keeps improving.

Mané's debut always reminds me of Moreno, though. He was fucking pathetic. Gave away a pen and was absolutely nowhere for their first goal.

[article]Senegalese FA boss Saee Seck says Sadio Mane has fulfilled his potential at Liverpool and wants him to join Real Madrid this summer.

The 27-year-old won the Premier League Golden Boot last season and there has been consistent reports in the Spanish media that Zidane sees him as the final piece of his Madrid jigsaw that will challenge Barcelona for the La Liga title next season.

The former Southampton man only recently signed a long term deal in Merseyside and has distanced himself from reports of a switch to the Spanish capital, but his country’s FA boss says it’s time for him to make the big move.

“Everybody in the world knows that Mane is in the top ten best footballers in the world and he has achieved significant success at Liverpool in the past season,” Seck told the Mirror Sports in Cairo.

“He alongside Mo Salah and Firmino are phenomenal. But this is football and he won the Champions League last season and he has the chance to go to Madrid. For me I think it’s the best club in the world, even if I am a Barcelona fan I still think Real is the best and Mane should be thinking of that offer seriously.

“The career of a footballer is very short and sometimes you don’t get the chance a lot so if it’s there, and I think Zidane likes him, why not?

“He played in Southampton and when the chance came he took it and went to Liverpool and he has held the challenge well in England. I think he will do well with another challenge in another country.”

Mane is currently enjoying a good Africa Cup of Nations with three goals and two assists in the competition making him the stand out contributor to his country’s quest to win their first AFCON.

His involvement in the AFCON however, means he is likely to miss a chunk of Liverpool’s pre-season training and will not be ready for the start of the new Premier League season.

“Look it’s in the interest of Liverpool to allow him to rest properly after this AFCON. Last season, he was in the Champions League final and after that the World Cup and after that a full season and here he is again, so he will likely need a good rest which I am sure the physios at the club will agree with me.

“Footballers like Sadio are always willing to play. We gave him ten days off after the season and he is here with us and playing so well, so I am sure if Liverpool give him some good days it will be in his interest and that of everyone involved.

“There is no doubt he will not make it for the start of the season so it’s important he gets some really good rest to recharge his batteries.”[/article]

As always, national team managers can fuck right off
If it's a true quote it is either the ramblings of a mad man (in which case there's nothing to worry about obv) or he had Sadio's blessing and it's the beginning of a want-away saga. If it's the latter, we are in a strong position as he has just signed a new contract. We tell Madrid we want £175m or they can fuck off. If Sadio "down's tools" i.e. does a Coutinho, then we might reluctantly accept their offer of £165m. We then* go out and buy any 2 from 3 of Coutinho/Pepe/Fekir for a combined £135m and put the balance towards our transfer kitty for January.

*Obviously we negotiate the transfers before admitting Mané is going so their prices don't go up when teams realise we have the Mané money.

Didn't Salah's manager link him to Madrid last year? Who gives a fuck, we have all the cards in our hand, and if Mane really wants a move, and I personally doubt it, then we'll absolutely rape them on the price and buy Mbappe. Chill.

By the way, big props to @Woland and Brendan on the original signing Mane thread who were assured on his quality. I sat on the fence, and I accept the pointy marks on my buttocks as a badge of shame.

I honestly think none of our main players will want to leave. I think last season with the UCL final win, and the whole welcome back is something that will make them realize that they are already at a massive club, and given the shit their old colleague is getting at the lesser of the two big Spanish cunts - they may have second thoughts about such a move and the pressure that comes with it.

Delighted it looks like he’s staying.

My favourite current player which is impressive when we have so many likeable/great players.

What a signing he has been.

[article]
On this day in 2016, Liverpool completed the signing of striker Sadio Mane from Southampton.

The Senegal international made the switch from St. Mary’s to Anfield for a fee of £30million in what was the first major transfer of the Jurgen Klopp era.

It was a second bite of the transfer cherry for the Reds boss, who had admitted not signing Mane for Borussia Dortmund was one of his ‘biggest mistakes’.

The German coach was certainly overjoyed with the then 24-year-old's arrival, but a portion of Liverpool fans were under whelmed and unsure.

In the age of social media many supporters were vocal in expressing these concerns across the various platforms.

Some complained the fee was excessive, others were annoyed Liverpool had signed yet another Southampton player, while some were simply unconvinced by Mane's ability to flourish at Anfield.

Playing primarily as a winger, Mane had scored 25 goals in 75 appearances at St Mary's - including two in a comeback victory against the Reds - but that didn't seem to be enough to win fans over.

Liverpool had previously expressed an interest in World Cup winner Mario Gotze, and many fans believed that the Reds had missed out on the better player.

But Mane got straight to work in silencing his critics and proving himself to be one of the world's best from the very start.

On the opening day of the 2016/17 campaign Liverpool faced Arsenal in a thrilling tie, but it was the Reds' new number 19 who stole all the headlines with a sublime debut goal as Klopp's men ran out 4-3 winners.

His jaunting solo run saw him bypass the Gunners' defence, and he sent an arrowed finish into the top of the net.

A strike as famous for its craft as it was for the ensuing celebration chaos.

Mane ran hurriedly towards the technical box, his arms swimming through the air - he wanted to celebrate with the man who made this moment possible.

And that man, Klopp, welcomed him in the most spontaneous way as he offered Mane an impromptu piggy back ride.

That was the start, those who had questioned the Senegalese star would begin to eat their words and delete their tweets.

It was a landslide from there on in, Mane would go on to secure his legendary status with 59 goals and counting.

He not only paved the way on the Road to Madrid with a blindingly memorable effort against Bayern Munich, but last season he scored 22 times in the Premier League and was joint top-scorer.

Along with helping Liverpool secure that historic sixth European Cup, Mane has done something else, he has changed fans willingness and acceptance when it comes to transfers.

He is the bedrock success story which aids Michael Edwards and Klopp's work in the transfer market.

Most Reds’ fans will now no longer question the transfer fee of a player because Mane proved their doubts to be wrong.

When Virgil van Dijk arrived in January 2018 for a record-breaking sum of £75million, the only noises being made by Liverpool fans were ones of excitement not trepidation.

The need for a rock-solid central defender was obvious and Van Dijk, now regarded by many as the world's best, was the cure.

When Alisson was bought from Roma for £65million fans expressed gratitude and optimism.

Last summer’s other arrivals Naby Keita and Fabinho cost £52million and £39.3million respectively.

In 2017, Mohamed Salah was £36.9million and a deadline day deal saw Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain come in for £35million.

None of these fees have been a big issue for Liverpool’s fan base and that’s because of Mane’s hit the ground running success.

Supporters of other clubs have of course questioned the transfer fees of the Reds' signings.

But they have been answered with a blistering 97 points return, teamed with Champions League glory.

Mane proved so many wrong, and in doing so restored the fans' trust in the transfer market.
[/article]

Our thread discussing about him signing for us back in 2016: http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/sadio-mane.85933/ :D

Woland owned that thread with his first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom