• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Matip

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Modo likes to bang on about him, and he's right ...
When healthy, he's a top top class CB ... not VvD class, but that level below which is why those two are so hard to get by.
I think this pairing is on the same level as Rio-Vidic, Terry-Carvahlo etc ...

He needs to stay fit for a whole season before he can even be discussed like that.
Even then we’d want to win 1 or 2 more league titles for those comparisons.

Yeah, Modo is right to bang his drum as well. When fit, which has been a major issue obviously, he has slowly developed into one of the top CBs in the league. No doubt.

The stats with Virgil - Matip - Alisson are insane.

Fingers crossed he can stay fit for the entire season. He has looked fantastic, again.

Rough translation - Matip didn’t play for Man Utd or was coached by the greatest manager ever that isn’t called Sir or Pep, to be considered “that” level.

Also - neither are Roy Keane.

He runs like a giraffe, but he's very hard to stop when in full flow. Taking full advantage of Leeds' man-to-man marking to become the spare man that unlocks the defense.

Last edited:
I actually think the "not as good as VVD" caveat isn't that necessary any more.

Plenty of games now where he's been the better of the two.

was going to say this myself, there was a run of games where you’d think he was the one that cost £75m a while back

Well, the one thing that VVD has over Matip is the dominant physicality – players know that he can bully them as well as outplay and outpace them. And it's important to have an alpha dog in the team. But in terms of the defender's craft: positioning, marking, decisions, all those things – Matip is second to none including VVD. It's so good to see him and Virgil in action together, in fact like @LeTallecWiz said that defensive "diamond" with Alli and Fabs is just spectacular. Please stay fit, Joel!

Last edited:
Modo likes to bang on about him, and he's right ...
When healthy, he's a top top class CB ... not VvD class, but that level below which is why those two are so hard to get by.
I think this pairing is on the same level as Rio-Vidic, Terry-Carvahlo etc ...

I think VVD-Matip as a partnership are better on the ball than Rio-Vidic, particularly Vidic, but as good defensively. I don't think Terry-Carvahlo will look quite as good in a Klopp-style attacking setup.

That God for that. I dread seeing a 'Matip' thread as I always 'know' it's going to be a story about how he injured himself getting out of the car and is out for 3 months.

That aside agree with everyone. He's Class.

He is 1 of the best defenders in the world,

How many games is it we've lost when he's played? like 2 in the last 50?

Bit of a shame he's 30 now, feels like he's only been here for 2 years.

He's got two more games. Then he'll snap his nob or break a thumb or something equally fucking daft. He's a very good player while he's playing but it's a good job we bought that other dude.

I really hope Klopp keeps him just for PL games, manage his workload, keep him healthy & recovered and use other top class CBs in the CL & cup games. We need him, he is superb in the air, good on the ball and really getting into rhythm quickly.

Fair enough I missed the diamond bit.
For me Salah goes in any world spine in whatever context every time.

How many points did it cost us by not having our diamond available last season?

I reckon 15 to 20

Matip's always been great and it's easy to see why he's the preferred partner to VVD. He's started the season in his very best form.

It's a bit tough on Konate and Gomez and I'd like so see them get some game time soon. However if you accept that it's inevitable Matip will break down, it makes sense to use him whilst he's fit and playing very well.

I think he is that tier below Virgil. Bringing out the games he’s been better than VVD is ridiculous. I’d be shocked in a h2h comparison it isn’t 7:1 in Virgil’s favour.

I remember saying that Maptip was a better CB than Gomez and was only replaced by him becuase of injury and people giving me jip for saying it.
Funny how many of you now are saying the same thing

I remember saying that Maptip was a better CB than Gomez and was only replaced by him becuase of injury and people giving me jip for saying it.
Funny how many of you now are saying the same thing

Rightly or wrongly there's periods when people judge Matip when he's coming back from injury and finding his form, which is pretty frequent.

How many points did it cost us by not having our diamond available last season?

I reckon 15 to 20

I think we could have won the title with Rhys & Nat if we'd kept Fabs (and Hendo, when we dropped him back too) in DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom