• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Maureen has lost the dressing room already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woland

Part of the Furniture
According to The Telegraph.

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho's criticism of players 'nastier and more personal than Sir Alex Ferguson's ever was’

108627286_Jose_Mourinho-SPORT-xlarge_trans++Ah6hY9ILRlHdR4OHO9-DCJdtcnWG-pN3B6lE1vISQfU.jpg

Jose Mourinho, the Manchester United manager, has resorted to personal attacks on his players CREDIT: REX FEATURES

What did Greta Garbo and Winston Churchill have in common?

They were so different in many ways yet they loved one very special town
Read more ›
Sponsored
20 SEPTEMBER 2016 • 9:23PM
Manchester United’s players fear that Jose Mourinho’s fierce private and public criticism is damaging confidence and already having a destabilising effect on their season.
The squad have been left shocked not only by Mourinho’s public censure of individual players, including Luke Shaw, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Jesse Lingard, but the personal nature of criticism behind closed doors as the United manager faces an early crisis in his reign.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s “hairdryer” treatment became infamous at Old Trafford but Mourinho’s rebukes are believed to carry a nastier edge that has not gone down well in the dressing room.
108627664_jose-mourinho-sport-xxlarge_trans++n4o7s-rBRtXzfzRmV46Fo_i1rM99uPa0ygT14_qczKA.jpg

Mourinho is understood to have upset several senior United players CREDIT: REX FEATURES
United face League One side Northampton Town at the Sixfields Stadium in the EFL Cup on Wednesday evening on the back of three successive defeats before champions Leicester City visit Old Trafford in a crucial game on Saturday lunchtime.
United’s hierarchy were relaxed about Mourinho’s abrasive nature and capacity for controversy when they appointed the Portuguese as manager in May and believe he shares many of Ferguson’s characteristics.
But one of Ferguson’s golden rules was not to castigate players in the media, and while Mourinho retains the steadfast support of United’s power brokers, his persistent public criticism already carries echoes of his final months at Chelsea when he lost the dressing room before being sacked.
108623484_mourinhomain-large_trans++kGW-1LhyL18B4gNu5bWl0OFjmtnbR66CRAiV6LQlVO8.jpg

Mourinho has now lost three consecutive games as Manchester United managerCREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
Several of United’s senior players went to see Louis van Gaal to urge the former manager to lay off Shaw after the Dutchman’s frequent public criticism of the England left-back during his first season in charge.
There was concern that Shaw’s confidence was being eroded by Van Gaal’s behaviour and it remains to be seen whether senior players also seek to confront Mourinho over his public criticism of the defender in the wake of Sunday’s 3-1 defeat by Watford, and of Mkhitaryan and Lingard after the loss to Manchester City a week earlier.
Mourinho criticised Shaw for not being closer to Juan Zúñiga before he scored Watford’s second goal five minutes from time but it emerged that the 21-year-old, still finding his feet after 10 months out with broken leg, was carrying a groin injury at the time that could now keep him out for up to three weeks.
Wayne Rooney has always been a vocal voice in the dressing room but the United captain is understood to feel under immense pressure after a disappointing start to the season and is worried about his place in the team against Leicester after a dismal showing at Watford, when he came in for severe criticism on social media from fans.
Mourinho could not stand accused of failing to give Rooney an opportunity if he now opts to drop the England forward but his captain’s deployment in a midfield role against Watford contrasted starkly with the manager’s insistence in July that the player would “never be a No 6 or No 8” under him.
Mourinho believes he has taken on a bigger job than he initially thought at United as he attempts to effectively “reprogram” players indoctrinated over the past two years by Van Gaal’s risk-averse tactics.
But while United’s squad are thought to acknowledge the scale of the task, they are increasingly concerned that process is being aggravated, not smoothed, by Mourinho’s tongue lashings.
Most have been taken aback by the sudden criticism given how Mourinho was described by prominent figures at the club as having a “hypnotic” presence over the players, who “stood a little taller” in his company during his first couple of months at the helm.
Mourinho’s criticism of Shaw was a surprise given that he recognised early on that his full-backs were among those players who faced the biggest demands adjusting to his methods. Whereas Mourinho wants his full-backs to get forward and overlap, Shaw and Antonio Valencia were instructed under Van Gaal to look primarily to pass inside to the centre-halves.
mourinho_and_guardiola-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Mourinho lost out to his bitter rival Pep Guardiola in the recent Manchester derbyCREDIT: ACTION IMAGES
Shaw and Valencia are not alone. Spanish midfielder Ander Herrera, for example, is being asked to pass and move in a way very different to what Van Gaal wanted and Mourinho is thought to have been sympathetic to the confusion that has occasionally caused in training.
Yet there has been a distinct change of mood since the 2-1 defeat by City, after which Mourinho rebuked Lingard and Mkhitaryan, whom he felt were overwhelmed by the occasion, and in the subsequent losses to Feyenoord and Watford.
The public remarks aside, the private criticism has also been savage.
“His delivery of criticism is nasty,” one source said. “It is far more personal than Fergie ever was.” Mourinho was accused yesterday of “losing the plot” by Christophe
Dugarry, the former Barcelona striker and World Cup winner with France. “I get the feeling Mourinho’s last tactical success was that Champions League [semi-final] game between Inter Milan and Barcelona [in 2010],” said Dugarry, who hosts a radio show in France. “He’s won titles since but I think he has lost the plot. He believes he has become more important than the team.
“Tactically, I think he doesn’t put anything in place. Apart from the players, who have changed, it’s the same organisation as last season under Van Gaal.”
There has certainly been surprise in some quarters of the dressing room that Michael Carrick has been overlooked in midfield.
Aside from 61 minutes in the Community Shield win over Leicester, Carrick has not featured at all when former players, such as Paul Scholes, believe the 35-year-old, or Morgan Schneiderlin or the exiled Bastian Schweinsteiger, could offer the sort of controlling presence in midfield that would enable £89 million signing Paul Pogba to flourish.
Carrick may finally get another run out against Northampton on Wednesday night but Mourinho’s failure to settle on a system that maximises Pogba’s abilities has raised eyebrows with the France midfielder’s deployment predominantly in a midfield pairing with Marouane Fellaini yet to convince.

Over on Red Cafe they've figured that the only players who played under Bacon face and Maureen who would be arsed leaking this are Rooney and Carrick. So civil war.

Yay!

Gary Neville is having a mini breakdown on Twitter about all this stick United are getting too.

I can imagine that Mourinho will currently be getting lots of advice from Sir Alex and the rest of the Old Trafford establishment. This won't go down at all well. I can see him walking.

I decided to have a sporting bet on Mourinho to be the next Premier League manager to leave. William Hill were offering 33/1. I tried to put £20 on, but they wouldn't take the bet. The maximum they would allow was £1.

Betfair were offering a more modest 20/1 but they took my £20.

Early days but if they lose Saturday then the game against us could be crucial.

Great to see.

I didn't think the supposed criticism was that bad. Very similar to Klopp pointing out Matip went to ground too easily, no?

The knives are definitely out in the media it seems. I bet Mourinho misses the days of "The Special One".

I decided to have a sporting bet on Mourinho to be the next Premier League manager to leave. William Hill were offering 33/1. I tried to put £20 on, but they wouldn't take the bet. The maximum they would allow was £1.

Betfair were offering a more modest 20/1 but they took my £20.

How many pints can you buy for £400?

He really is the friend from Hell. First he negotiates a job behind the back of his 'great friend and mentor,' Louis Van Gaal, while the latter is in that job, thus undermining and even humiliating him for months on end. And then now, via sneaky briefings to the media, he tries to blame just about everything that's wrong with his team at the moment on Van Gaal. He's a major creep.

He will never never restrain himself from putting the blame everywhere else than at him. He will point fingers at everyone, and if they win he will tell the story about how he corrected all others mistakes.... God what a wanker. They sooo deserve that fuckhead.

Interesting that 3 managers have been mentioned for critiscising Luke Shaw.
Maybe the fat cunt is just not very good.

Posted this in another thread, but equally belongs here.

Back on topic, I am certainly enjoying the building media frenzy.

But so far, Mourinho seems to be quite calm and controlled, and he knows his position at United is safer than it ever was at seismic and toxic Chelsea. What is always interesting is how Mourinho's own interest and engagement levels can vary, for whatever reasons.

I mentioned it here over summer, but there were some very intriguing stories that emerged from his final few months at Chelsea: a demotivated manager, disenchanted with the summer transfer activity, picking fights with players, who simply let things slide, and didn't really appear to be engaged. Or even arsed. Does that sound like Mourinho? Maybe all the battles and years of attritional behaviour have worn off a few of his edges?

There was one report that after falling out with several players, his own medical staff, his bosses etc, he simply gave up and his usual meticulous training and tactical sessions dropped right off. Until he managed to get himself motivated for one game - possibly Spurs? - and all the old fire returned, with the usual dossiers and amazing tactical detail and individual plans for each players. But it was the exception rather than the rule?

Maybe he just can't keep it up anymore? So to speak?

Mourinho doesnt really seem calm or controlled though. He's attacking his own players, referees and Van Gaal.
He also looks quite rough and under pressure now compared to the start of the season.
The bags under his eyes could contain every match ball at OT these days.

I've always said that something changed in Madrid. He just didn't seem like the old Mourinho after he returned to Chelsea.
I actually think Madrid, Ronaldo and co broke him.

He can't have much in the way of complaints. We all know they spent heavily and attracted top end talent despite not being in the Champions League.

LVG and Mourinho are both naturally conservative managers so it's not like he's overhauling a whole new philosophy. Getting a full backs to overlap seems pretty basic shit to me.

That said some perspective is needed. Many on here were tipping them for the league 2 weeks ago. Now we're crossing our fingers expecting a sacking.

He can't have much in the way of complaints. We all know they spent heavily and attracted top end talent despite not being in the Champions League.

LVG and Mourinho are both naturally conservative managers so it's not like he's overhauling a whole new philosophy. Getting a full backs to overlap seems pretty basic shit to me.

That said some perspective is needed. Many on here were tipping them for the league 2 weeks ago. Now we're crossing our fingers expecting a sacking.

I don't think most people think he's finished, or expect him to get the sack. He will do well at united.

Maybe, maybe not. I wanted him to get the job coz I thought he'd fuck it up. Kinda like how a Trump presidency might be great fun from the outside.

Reactions: C/O
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom