• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Name your five best Liverpool matches since the start of the premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donavan Ried

Alive and still kicking, Just
Criteria: - matches had to have taken place between 15 August 1992 and the current day
Matches are not restricted to the premier league, they can include, the FA cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Europa League etc.
Five games only, plus dates and results
Mine are
CL Final 2004/05 Liverpool 3 (6) vs A.C. Milan 3 (5)

PL 1996 Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3
Premier League Classic: Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle | Incredible late drama at Anfield
PL 2009 Man Utd 1 Liverpool 4

CL 2019 Semi Finals Second Leg Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0

PL 2009 Liverpool 4 vs Arsenal 4
Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal | Arshavin scores 4 in 8 goal thriller! | 21st April 2009 | PL Vault

Yeah fuck that 4-4. It was awful.

When we bounced arsenal and scored about 7 in the first ten mins when SaS were up front. That was great. Olympiakos was also great. Dortmund was ace. Can't argue with the rest.

Tried to throw a couple of different ones in

Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1; Suarez V Norwich
Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0
Luton 3 Liverpool 5; pure FA cup, Xabi halfway, good fun
Liverpool 2 Man Utd 1; 2019, good game with a belting late goal, Ali's celebratiion and it was the moment we knew.

Liverpool 2 Man Utd 1; 2019, good game with a belting late goal, Ali's celebratiion and it was the moment we knew.
Pretty sure it was 2-0. Salah's goal defo wasn't the winner, it just sealed the points
... and it was 2020

4-3 Newcastle
3-3 CL
3-3 FA Cup
5-4 UEFA Cup
4-0 Barca

Honourable mentions to Utd 3-3, 3-1, 4-1, 2-2 Spurs 5-0, Palace 6-1, Newcastle other 4-3.

Shouldn’t this just be a list of us humping Man City, Man Utd, Everton or any team managed by Jose Mourinho.

I mean sticking 6 past Norwich is great, but an undeserved last minute winner in a bore-Fest against Man Utd is infinitely sweeter and more satisfying.

Istanbul
Liverpool Barca semifinal at Anfield
Liverpool Chelsea semifinal at Chelsea
Title winning season: Leicester away (send out to a signal to the rest of the PL), Utd with Salah scoring the second goal ( we knew we were going to win the league).

I know we have participated in so many great games. But after experiencing winning the league, I am finding it difficult to rate other games like the 4-1 win over United as it did not lead to any trophies.

Special mention: The Michael Owen FA cup final and Steven Gerrard FA cup final.

Surprised there is so little love for the Dortmund 4-3 EL quarter final.
I reckon it was one of those pivotal games in our current revival under Klopp and fully introduced the power of the Anfield crowd and Jurgen to each other.

Last edited:
Surprised there is no love for the Dortmund 4-3 EL quarter final.
I reckon it was one of those pivotal games in our current revival under Klopp and fully introduced the power of the Anfield crowd and Jurgen to each other.

Yeah, one of the best European games in recent memory, only topped by the Barca game.

One game that's special to me personally is Liverpool-Monaco 2:0 in September of 2004. Baros and Cisse scored and we've played the kind of one-touch perfect football I've always dreamed about. That was the game I immediately fell in love with Rafa's team and became a Liverpool fan.

I also think many of the games we've played against Man City in Klopp's time here were special and the quality of football produced by both teams was just on another level to what everyone else was playing. The 4:3 game in the league was memorable for the goals, the 3:0 demolition in the first leg of 2018-19 CL (actually happened exactly 3 years ago to the day – happy anniversary!) was when this team really announced themselves as a world-class power, then the 1:2 in the return leg had the iconic Salah goal and celebration, the 3:1 the following season had the long-range Fabinho strike and one of my all-time favorite "geometric" goals: the zig-zag across the whole pitch, Trent's left to Robbo to Salah's head. Even the away loss that season was objectively a great game between two teams at the top of their powers and Firmino's goal there was one of the best team goals we've scored under Klopp.

Last edited:
My favourite live was the CL QF against Arsenal. Was very lucky to get a ticket from Sunny, a night I’ll never forget (footy was ok too).

Agree on the Arsenal thumping, particularly the one with the booming Skrtel header. That felt like a changing of the guard.

Leicester at Christmas last season was probably my favourite of the season. With Fabinho’s goal versus City my favourite goal.

Surprised there is so little love for the Dortmund 4-3 EL quarter final.
That was a great game, but I think that the fact that it was the Europa League and that we squandered the chance to win it in the final has soured our memory of it somewhat.

One of my fav games was the 3-2 at Anfield against City in 13-14 when Coutinho scored the winner. Genuinely thought at that moment that we'd win the league.

One of my fav games was the 3-2 at Anfield against City in 13-14 when Coutinho scored the winner. Genuinely thought at that moment that we'd win the league.
Same didn’t want to fully believe until after Chelsea at home :(

Just thought the Arsenal Game was a great watch, and a real roller coast

I don't think I've EVER felt worse than after that game. It was the end of our only real title challenge in about 20 years, and I had to watch the fucking thing with a bunch of Arsenal fans.

I wanted to fucking top myself on the way home.

There have obviously been loads of great games in that time so it kind of comes down to personal preference. Recently I really loved the 2-1 win at City in the CL.

Shouldn’t this just be a list of us humping Man City, Man Utd, Everton or any team managed by Jose Mourinho.

I mean sticking 6 past Norwich is great, but an undeserved last minute winner in a bore-Fest against Man Utd is infinitely sweeter and more satisfying.

Scrappy, lucky, totally undeserved wins in big games is definitely an underrated category.

I don't think I've EVER felt worse than after that game. It was the end of our only real title challenge in about 20 years, and I had to watch the fucking thing with a bunch of Arsenal fans.

There have obviously been loads of great games in that time so it kind of comes down to personal preference. Recently I really loved the 2-1 win at City in the CL.

I live in Tottenham, so I have both the Arsenal. and Spurs fans to contend with lol...
I just ask them "How many Cl Cups they have won"

Istanbul
Liverpool Barca semifinal at Anfield
Liverpool Chelsea semifinal at Chelsea
Title winning season: Leicester away (send out to a signal to the rest of the PL), Utd with Salah scoring the second goal ( we knew we were going to win the league).

I know we have participated in so many great games. But after experiencing winning the league, I am finding it difficult to rate other games like the 4-1 win over United as it did not lead to any trophies.

Special mention: The Michael Owen FA cup final and Steven Gerrard FA cup final.

The Momo Sissoko and Steven Gerrard FA Cup Final. Without Momo playing W.Ham practically on his own for much of that game, Stevie would never have had the chance to score those boomers.

Nice one Niall. While Momo wouldn't get anywhere near the All-Time XI, his performance that day was one of the best individual displays by a Liverpool player that I've ever seen. He also monstered the much vaunted Barcelona midfield when we beat them over there one year.

Momo Sissoko YNWA.

That 2-1 was a cracker. The 4-3 league game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom