• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Napoli v Liverpool Match Thread - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there was a lot of sloppy touches, especially from our front three yesterday. I don't know if it could be related to the condition of the pitch or not, but it is not often they are so inaccurate and sloppy.

I thought there was a lot of sloppy touches, especially from our front three yesterday. I don't know if it could be related to the condition of the pitch or not, but it is not often they are so inaccurate and sloppy.
Pitch didn't look great did it, felt like I was watching is super low definition or 240p

But yes none of the front 3 came away with any praise.

Callejon made a meal out of it but I agree, I also think it was a pen. Robbo stuck a leg out and missed the ball. Where is Callejon supposed to go, jump over Robbo's leg? It wasn't a trip but he kinda impeded him.
If I stick out my leg and you're 100m away and run into it, and go over. Is that any different from being 0.5m away and doing the same thing?

For me, when a striker kicks a defender's leg and even starts goes over before he makes contact, it's actually a foul the other way. Yes, there was contact, I agree. Contact that Callejon initiated. Therefore it's a freekick to Robertson and a yellow card for diving/fouling to Callejon.

As for why we lost.

3 reasons (more than just Napoli's diving).

1) A poor display from all the front 3. Their poorest display yet. We had enough changes to score first.
2) Koulibaliy was immense. We just couldn't get around the big fucker.
3) Napoli played 2 quick CBs and a very tight set of FBs. Almost like playing 4 CBs at times. There was little space to penetrate centrally. Thus we need either our FBs to create chances out wide. Or Henderson and Milner to make runs out there to open up space inside (as opposed to Mo/Mane doing that). We didn't do this well and when our FBs did have the chance to cross, their delivery wasn't very good or Koulibaliy basically won everything.

Were you in the coffee house? Thought I saw you in there.

Also Pat, stop chatting shite.

Yeah man, was out with our Mike and a couple of the blue noses. Didn't see you,but then again I'd had about 8 pints!

I don't like doing RAAAAAAATTTIIIIINGS when we lose. It's harder still when we didn't play too badly. And do I rate players based on what they usually do, how highly they perform on a regular basis? Or try and make them more objectively? Is an under-par Salah a 4? Or actually just a 6 vs a normal type of footballer?

Whatevs. We lost - again - and that stings, even if we did play a bit better than the last time Napoli beat us. Mind you, poor results away from home is not unusual with this Liverpool side in Europe, and we're Champions. Napoli were pretty impressive, especially in defence, with well-drilled players and quick transitions. But we should have punished them, because we had chances, even if the final pass or delivery was often sloppy and misplaced.

Adrian (8) Conceded two, and the last one from Llorente was a shot he should have done better with arguably. But then there was that save. It was incredible really, hanging in the air like he was Superman and then adjusting himself to fling a hand up while on the way down again. Brilliant. And he made two other decent stops earlier from Ruiz.

Virgil (6) Is 6 fair? I dunno, he's been so...perfect that it's weird to see him make any mistakes at all, but his dreadful pass that bewildered Robbo and allowed that carthorse Llorente in to score was fucking horrible.

Matip (7) Started nervously and his use of the ball was sloppy, but improved after that and made some good interceptions in a pretty solid display

Robbo (5) Kept busy by Napoli and had his chances to attack restricted. Looked uncomfortable at times, and this seemed to contribute to that dopey non-challenge that Callejon exploited to dive over his trailing leg.

TAA (5) They knew how to get at Liverpool, and making our flying full-backs defend more than they attack is a pretty sound strategy. Gave the ball away endlessly.

Fabinho (8) Kept up his current imperious form, snapping away at Napoli all night and using the ball well. Some thunderous challenges and bossed the middle.

Milner (5) Busy bee as usual, and spent much of his time out wide helping out Robertson. Couldn't do enough with the ball to cause problems and was denied space and time. He looked totally knackered in the second half, and that manifested itself in some tired challenges and eventually a booking. Subbed.

Henderson (6) Worked hard and one lovely pass deserved better, but he was also dragged into wide, deep positions too often, with TAA needing help, so our three man midfield at times resembled just one, and not even Fabinho can do it all.

Mane (5) I dunno, he was dangerous when driving forward, and he kept Napoli's defence busy, but he was also wasteful and made too many wrong decisions, and that pass to Salah when they both ran clear was dire. Had a decent strike saved by their keeper.

Salah (6) As quick and skilful as ever, and one lovely shot on the turn in the period when Napoli (and especially Manolas) were rocking a bit was well saved. Had a great battle with the excellent Koulibaly, who seemed to have cloned himself at times, but rarely got the better of him/ them.

Firmino (5) Found himself more space than most Liverpool players, but did little with it. One headed effort wide and one lovely flicked pass was about all he managed to conjure up, though.

All in all, too many ordinary performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom