• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA Regular Season Thread & Playoffs

Today's results.

As mentioned earlier by LTW, Mavs beat the Spurs 3-1. Looking more and more likely that the Spurs are out.

Hornets finally get on the board, beating the Nuggets. 2-1 to the Nuggets.

D-Wade leads Miami to a win over Atlanta, 2-1 Miami.

Finally, Lakers smash the Jazz behind Kobe's 38 points. 3-1 LA.

Let's go Lakers!

Today's results.

Cavs sweep the Pistons. We should be seeing a MAJOR upheaval in Detroit this close season. Wallace and Iverson are presumably out and there're rumours that Prince and Hamilton are on the trading block.

Celtics/Bulls turning into quite a series. Bulls win game 4 in double OT, series tied 2-2.

Orlando beat Phily to tie the series 2-2.

Houston come from behind to the Blazers and take a 3-1 lead. Is this the end of Yao's record of not making it past the 1st round of the playoffs? As for T-Mac, pfffft.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg853864#msg853864 date=1240826723]
Cavs sweep the Pistons. We should be seeing a MAJOR upheaval in Detroit this close season. Wallace and Iverson are presumably out and there're rumours that Prince and Hamilton are on the trading block.
[/quote]

they would have been better off with Chauncey ...

But they need to break up that team and rebuild it ...

I swear to sweet baby Jay-zus, the Celtics are trying to piss game 5 away here...

The only reason that they may win the f#$!ing thing eventually is that they should already be done, as sloppy as they've been.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=28209.msg855272#msg855272 date=1240966164]
I swear to sweet baby Jay-zus, the Celtics are trying to piss game 5 away here...

The only reason that they may win the f#$!ing thing eventually is that they should already be done, as sloppy as they've been.
[/quote]

I'm following it on ESPN gamecast, Celtics seem to be closing in after the bad start to Q4.

Is Rondo having a good game? 20-6-8 is remarkable. And as I type, Rondo assists on a Ray Allen 3 pointer.

Boston win, up 3-2 on Da bulls
Orlando win, up 3-2 on Philly
Portland win, Houston up 3-2
Mavs win, eliminate Spurs 4-1.

Dirk had his first 'game of the postseason, scoring 31 points. Let's have some more of that vs Denver and we can take 'em too.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg855275#msg855275 date=1240967831]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=28209.msg855272#msg855272 date=1240966164]

[/quote]

I'm following it on ESPN gamecast, Celtics seem to be closing in after the bad start to Q4.

Is Rondo having a good game? 20-6-8 is remarkable. And as I type, Rondo assists on a Ray Allen 3 pointer.
[/quote]

Another ridiculous o/t game, that we almost handed back to them with three seconds to go... Sloppy stuff. If we get to Cleveland, they'll murder us.

And Rondo has been brilliant all series - He's really come into his own this season...

Today's results.

Nuggets steamrolled past the Hornets and advance to the Western Conference Semis. Billups for Iverson: Best trade this season?

Atlanta literally fought their way to a win over Miami. 3-2 up. Come on Heat! Would love to see a Lebron-Wade matchup.

Other news: Howard will be suspended for one game after elbowing Dalambert in the previous game.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg855987#msg855987 date=1241074655]
Billups for Iverson: Best trade this season?
[/quote]

I would think so - Iverson needs to become a 6th man ... I don't think he's good enough anymore to be a starter and play big minutes ...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg855995#msg855995 date=1241075817]
[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg855987#msg855987 date=1241074655]
Billups for Iverson: Best trade this season?
[/quote]

I would think so - Iverson needs to become a 6th man ... I don't think he's good enough anymore to be a starter and play big minutes ...
[/quote]

His ego wouldn't allow it Wizzy. He has said before that he would retire if he has to come off the bench. Which is a pity actually because he can be that spark off the bench, c.f. Jason Terry.

No Howard? No problem! Magic eliminate Sixers, 4-2 overall

Bulls force game 7 with 3OT win over Celts ... DA BULLS!

Houston blaze on, defeating Portland 4-2.

Game 7 tonight ... Bulls vs Celts ...

Let's hope the Bulls win ... would be a great upset, even though the Celts are probably at best a 4/5 seed with KG.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg857463#msg857463 date=1241299947]

Let's hope the Bulls win ... would be a great upset, even though the Celts are probably at best a 4/5 seed with KG.
[/quote]

You mean withOUT KG, right?

Ben Gordon can't miss tonight... Not feeling good about this.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=28209.msg857508#msg857508 date=1241311318]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg857463#msg857463 date=1241299947]

[/quote]

You mean withOUT KG, right?

Ben Gordon can't miss tonight... Not feeling good about this.
[/quote]

sorry, yes WITHOUT! With KG, they're definitely top 3 (though not sure they're better than Orlando or LeBron)

they won. the cellllts win

1st game of round 2.

Nuggets beat the Mavs. Nuggets really surprisingly alot of people this year.

LeBron (newest league MVP) and Cavs beat Hawks, up 1-0 (i think it will be a sweep).

Mavs lose HOward and game to Nuggest, down 2-0 (I think this will probably be a sweep too if HOward isn't back)

Lakers and Celtics beat the Rockets and Magic respectively to tie each series 1-1.

Lakers vs Rockets

FIVE technical fouls, Fisher ejected with a flagrant 2 and Artest thrown out as well.

The NBA. Where WWE happens.

Some sad news, Chuck Daly has passed on.

RIP.

DETROIT -- Chuck Daly, who coached the original Dream Team to the Olympic gold medal in 1992 after winning back-to-back NBA championships with the Detroit Pistons, has died. He was 78.

He died Saturday morning in Jupiter, Fla., with his family by his side, the team said.The Pistons announced in March that the Hall of Fame coach had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was undergoing treatment.

He was renowned for his ability to create harmony out of diverse personalities at all levels of the game, whether they were Ivy Leaguers at Pennsylvania, Dream Teamers Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley, or Pistons as dissimilar as Dennis Rodman and Joe Dumars.

"It's a players' league. They allow you to coach them or they don't," Daly once said. "Once they stop allowing you to coach, you're on your way out."

Daly was voted one of the 10 greatest coaches of the NBA's first half-century in 1996, two years after being inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. He was the first coach to win both an NBA title and Olympic gold.

"I think Chuck understood people as well as basketball," former Pistons guard Joe Dumars told The Associated Press in 1995. "It's a people business."

Daly did famously at the Barcelona Games with NBA superstars such as Magic Johnson, Jordan, Larry Bird and Barkley, using a different lineup in every game.

"I played against Chuck's teams throughout the NBA for a lot of years. He always had his team prepared, he's a fine coach," Bird said shortly after Daly's diagnosis became public.

"Chuck did a good job of keeping us together," Bird said. "It wasn't about who scored the most points, it was about one thing: winning the gold medal."

Daly humbled the NBA superstars by coaching a group of college players to victory in a controlled scrimmage weeks before the Olympics.

"I was the happiest man in the gym," Daly said afterward.

Daly also made the right moves for the Pistons, who were notorious for their physical play with Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn leading the fight, Rodman making headlines and Hall of Fame guards Isiah Thomas and Dumars lifting the team to titles in 1989 and 1990.

Former Piston John Salley gave Daly the nickname Daddy Rich for his impeccably tailored suits.

Daly had a career regular-season record of 638-437 in 13 NBA seasons. In 12 playoff appearances, his teams went 75-51. He left Detroit as the Pistons' leader in regular-season and playoff victories.

"The Daly family and the entire Detroit Pistons and Palace Sports and Entertainment family is mourning the loss of Chuck Daly," family and team spokesman Matt Dobek said. "Chuck left a lasting impression with everyone he met both personally and professionally and his spirit will live with all of us forever."

Despite his success, Daly wasn't part of a Coach of the Year presentation until he handed the trophy to then-Detroit coach Rick Carlisle in 2002.

"This is as close as I've ever been to that thing," Daly said, looking at the Red Auerbach Trophy.

Born July 20, 1930 in St. Mary's, Pa., Charles Jerome Daly played college ball at St. Bonaventure and Bloomsburg. After two years in the military, he coached for eight seasons at Punxsutawney (Pa.) High School and then spent six years as an assistant at Duke.

Succeeding Bob Cousy as coach at Boston College, Daly coached the Eagles to a 26-24 record over two seasons and then spent seven seasons at Pennsylvania, leading the Quakers to the Ivy League championship in 1972-75.

Daly joined the NBA coaching ranks in 1978 as an assistant under Billy Cunningham in Philadelphia. His first head coaching job was with Cleveland, but he was fired after the Cavaliers went 9-32 over the first half of the 1981-82 season.

In 1983, Daly took over a Detroit team that had never had two straight winning seasons and led the Pistons to nine straight. He persuaded the likes of Rodman, Thomas, Dumars, Mahorn and Laimbeer and to play as a unit and they responded with back-to-back championships in 1989 and 1990.

Far from being intimidated by the Pistons' Bad Boys image, Daly saw the upside of it.

"I've also had players who did not care," he said a decade later. "I'd rather have a challenging team."

After leaving Detroit, Daly took over the New Jersey Nets for two seasons and led them to the playoffs both times.

He left broadcasting to return to the bench 1997 with the Orlando Magic and won 74 games over two seasons, then retired at the age of 68 because he said he was weary of the travel.

Daly joined the Vancouver Grizzlies as a senior adviser in 2000.

In retirement, he split time between residences in Jupiter, Fla., and suburban Detroit.

The Pistons retired No. 2 to honor their former coach's two NBA titles in January 1997.

"Without you, there wouldn't be us," Mahorn said to Daly during the ceremony.

Daly is survived by his wife, Terry, as well as daughter Cydney and grandchildren Sebrina and Connor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4153982

Today's results.

Magic pummeled Celtics, Orlando leads 2-1.

Lakers beat the Rockets, LA leads 2-1.

James (47 pts) & Cavs in another 10 pt+ win, are now up 3-0 on the Hawks.

The same ref that cost the Spurs a chance to tie the series with the Lakers last year (when they were down 2-1 in the series) blew 2 clear fouls by Wright on Carmelo last night in the closing seconds ... Carmelo hits a game winning 3, and the Mavs (unless they have BoSox blood) are out as they're down 3-0

yeah that was rough, i think the playoffs are always filled with so much controversy though. I'm till stunned that Rondo didn't get a flagrant 2 and a suspension, that was a dirty play

[quote author=Assulin link=topic=28209.msg863842#msg863842 date=1241983184]
yeah that was rough, i think the playoffs are always filled with so much controversy though. I'm till stunned that Rondo didn't get a flagrant 2 and a suspension, that was a dirty play
[/quote]

or suspend kobe for his elbow ...

impressive stuff from the rockets ...

No Tracy ... No Yao ... and they twat the lakers by 10 points in game 4 ... 2-2 and 'we have a series'.

On form right now, the Nuggest and Cavs are looking fantastic.

i understand the kobe incident a little more, but the Rondo one, come on your just hacking at the end of the game to save your team, thats a retarded call. The kobe one was def a foul, maybe a technical, but you cant suspend him for that, its physical and dirty but its not OTT. Artest getting ejected was complete bs. I really like the rockets, getting to watch them play has been fun these playoffs

[quote author=Assulin link=topic=28209.msg864012#msg864012 date=1242025810]
i understand the kobe incident a little more, but the Rondo one, come on your just hacking at the end of the game to save your team, thats a retarded call. The kobe one was def a foul, maybe a technical, but you cant suspend him for that, its physical and dirty but its not OTT. Artest getting ejected was complete bs. I really like the rockets, getting to watch them play has been fun these playoffs
[/quote]

Hold on, amigo...

You have a bigger issue with Rondo than Kobe? Come on.

Rondo was a dirty play, yes. But there was no hack, as you claim. He wasn't trying to hurt Miller, just ensure that he didn't score. It was a hard foul, but hardly premeditated violence.

Kobe violently elbowed Artest right around the throat. It was disgusting. And it was FAR worse than anything Rondo has ever done. Had it been Artest on Kobe, he'd still be in prision...

Rondo should take a game ... Kobe too, and add Carmelo too with his nice 'missed punch' attempt.

Mavs should be tied 2-2 now with the Nugs, but are down 3-1. Can they win 3 more? Not a chance in hell but hey, this team has done some impressive stuff this year when their backs were against the walls, so let's hope for a miracle.

Cavs finished off the hawks. Another sweep. They're looking really good ...

Back
Top Bottom