• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New striker

Status
Not open for further replies.
[article]Liverpool great Robbie Fowler won't be surprised if Jurgen Klopp makes a move for Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins.

Writing for the Mirror, Fowler declared: "I look at him, and I see a striker who is prepared to learn, prepared to work. In fact, I spotted last year his work rate is incredible, and Dean Smith says he's the best pressing centre forward in the league.

"To me that's significant. Because what do the top teams want? A forward who performs a crucial pressing role. Manchester City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea. They all want a striker who performs the press with energy and intelligence, and does more than one job.

"Of course, they'd like one who scores too, but it's not just about goalscoring any more. Far from it. Look at Roberto Firmino at Liverpool, look at City without a recognised number nine, and Chelsea sticking with Werner.

"I'm not trying to sell Watkins - honestly Villa fans! - but he's taken the step up every time so far, and I can see him doing it again. To the very top level, if he can keep the trajectory of his work rate, attitude and mentality.

"Interestingly, Jurgen Klopp absolutely sang his praises a few weeks ago, and you can definitely see someone with his pressing ability - and the stats to go with it - doing well under that sort of manager.

"And believe me, clubs like City and Liverpool with their massive analytics departments will have run those stats many times already."[/article]

[article]Liverpool great Robbie Fowler won't be surprised if Jurgen Klopp makes a move for Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins.

Writing for the Mirror, Fowler declared: "I look at him, and I see a striker who is prepared to learn, prepared to work. In fact, I spotted last year his work rate is incredible, and Dean Smith says he's the best pressing centre forward in the league.

"To me that's significant. Because what do the top teams want? A forward who performs a crucial pressing role. Manchester City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea. They all want a striker who performs the press with energy and intelligence, and does more than one job.

"Of course, they'd like one who scores too, but it's not just about goalscoring any more. Far from it. Look at Roberto Firmino at Liverpool, look at City without a recognised number nine, and Chelsea sticking with Werner.

"I'm not trying to sell Watkins - honestly Villa fans! - but he's taken the step up every time so far, and I can see him doing it again. To the very top level, if he can keep the trajectory of his work rate, attitude and mentality.

"Interestingly, Jurgen Klopp absolutely sang his praises a few weeks ago, and you can definitely see someone with his pressing ability - and the stats to go with it - doing well under that sort of manager.

"And believe me, clubs like City and Liverpool with their massive analytics departments will have run those stats many times already."[/article]

Watkins looks very promising but can he handle the pressure of playing for us?

Wilcock looks good too.

Peterborough United chief Darragh MacAnthony says Liverpool should take a punt on future England international Ivan Toney

[article]MacAnthony, a lifelong Liverpool fan, believes Toney, who has just won promotion from the Championship with Brentford, would score 20 goals in a Premier League season with a top-end club.

Posh have already sealed a further £1 million from Toney’s transfer to the Bees because of their promotion. They stand to make millions more from a healthy sell-on clause if he leaves Brentford.

I’m a Liverpool fan and I know my players,” MacAnthony said. “And I’d be delighted if we signed Ivan. Give me him over (Divock) Otigi any day of the week.

“Liverpool cross the ball with quality for fun and imagine Ivan getting on the end of those crosses from those full-backs!

“Obviously we’ve done well financially from Ivan’s transfer and we could do better down the line, but I don’t mind him staying at Brentford either as we get paid if they stay in the Premier League.

“Ivan is only 24/25 and not yet at the peak of his powers. I can see him scoring 15 goals for Brentford and I can see him playing for England next season.

“There’s no way Brentford will be relegated either. They have an outside chance of a top 12 finish in my opinion. They have a good coach and they are a club who spend well who now have around £200 million to play with.”

MacAnthony was speaking on his popular ‘Hard Truth’ podcast.[/article]

Peterborough United chief Darragh MacAnthony says Liverpool should take a punt on future England international Ivan Toney

[article]MacAnthony, a lifelong Liverpool fan, believes Toney, who has just won promotion from the Championship with Brentford, would score 20 goals in a Premier League season with a top-end club.

Posh have already sealed a further £1 million from Toney’s transfer to the Bees because of their promotion. They stand to make millions more from a healthy sell-on clause if he leaves Brentford.

I’m a Liverpool fan and I know my players,” MacAnthony said. “And I’d be delighted if we signed Ivan. Give me him over (Divock) Otigi any day of the week.

“Liverpool cross the ball with quality for fun and imagine Ivan getting on the end of those crosses from those full-backs!

“Obviously we’ve done well financially from Ivan’s transfer and we could do better down the line, but I don’t mind him staying at Brentford either as we get paid if they stay in the Premier League.

“Ivan is only 24/25 and not yet at the peak of his powers. I can see him scoring 15 goals for Brentford and I can see him playing for England next season.

“There’s no way Brentford will be relegated either. They have an outside chance of a top 12 finish in my opinion. They have a good coach and they are a club who spend well who now have around £200 million to play with.”

MacAnthony was speaking on his popular ‘Hard Truth’ podcast.[/article]
Yeah I listen to a lot of podcasts when I am driving and guardian football weekly and Football ramble have both given Ivan Toney glowing praises and said that he will definitely be the guy that will step up to the premiership with ease. I really want us to go for him if we can get him at the right price... Can't we swap him for Origi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom