• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Off Season - FAs, Trades, Draft etc

The second time I went to see detroit was against green bay because I wanted to see favre. Everyone felt sorry for me on the flight. Immigration didn't believe me 'no one comes 4000 miles to watch the lions' then said 'god bless you son' when I showed my jersey, and let me through.

Anyway, went to see favre, and their running back ended up throwing a 50 plus yard td instead.

We lost obviously.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1148343#msg1148343 date=1280954996]
Just say you don't wanna do training camp! I'd have no problem with that.
[/quote]

Yup, me too to be honest.

Btw, MC Golgotha - you're a great addition to the NFL fan base on this forum! You're like my ESPN insider as I just don't follow the entire NFL like I used to in the good ole US of A.

From what I saw of Dez, he looks phenomenal. His injury may be a blessing though - people were expecting Randy Moss. Now we still may get that but it's better that people just don't expect that much from him so quickly. He's gifted and seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder.

Fuck Brett Favre, I am so sick of hearing about this every year all year. He is going to get what he deserves, hopefully this season.

Every fucking sports talk radio show, and ESPN, all we hear about is Brett Favre. Last night ESPN was supposed to re-air the 92 NFC championship game, but instead there is a Sports Center special about Brett's retirement.

Just go back to the trailer park so we can all live in peace, please.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=39035.msg1148345#msg1148345 date=1280955131]
Even though he has been a Cheesehead AND a Vike, I'd still watch Favre before most QBs. Dude is an old time gunslinger. He doesn't give a fuck how it's supposed to be done on the park, he'll throw it how he wants, and he got it done.

What happens off the the park doesn't bother me so much. He courts the media. He's not free-handing women in a bar or shooting himself in the leg.
[/quote]

Yup. And his Sears commercial lampoons himself pretty good.

Put this way: As a Vikings fan, would I rather see Jackson lining up beneath the center against the Saints Week 1? Would I fuck!

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=39035.msg1148345#msg1148345 date=1280955131]
Even though he has been a Cheesehead AND a Vike, I'd still watch Favre before most QBs. Dude is an old time gunslinger. He doesn't give a fuck how it's supposed to be done on the park, he'll throw it how he wants, and he got it done.

What happens off the the park doesn't bother me so much. He courts the media. He's not free-handing women in a bar or shooting himself in the leg.
[/quote]I Agree totally. He's a sideshow, but on the field he's still great value. I love his little shovel passes, dump offs, pocket work. He's an old time showman and as you say he gets it done. Happy to see him for another season.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1148342#msg1148342 date=1280954772]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=39035.msg1148287#msg1148287 date=1280952050]
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1148198#msg1148198 date=1280938741]
He's a fucking wanker.
[/quote]

Agreed. He's a comnplete phony, the epitome of the selfish, me-first superstar althlete.

There's not a f#$!ing thing wrong with him. He just thinks himself above training camps and the everyday life of a footballer. He just wants to show up, play, be worshipped, and get all the glory.

I cannot stand him. And he's overrated. VERY overrated.
[/quote]

I want to play devil's advocate here. I think this is a joke too tbh but still:

1) Favre obviously doesn't want to deal with training camp for reasons of health or whatever. If this is the best way to protect himself and give the Vikes another shot at the SB (and they were not that far off last year), then it's not being selfish really. If I was a Vikes fan, I would happily have him sit out till whenever as long as snap 1 of the regular season, he's there and ready to win another 10-14 games.

2) He's not overrated. He's one of the best QBs in NFL history. Just like Marino. He may not be a great winner, and he may have choked in his fair share of big games, but he has his ring and has broken records that some of the best in the game held.

Yes he's coming off as a wanker, yes he's not as good as many QBs of his generation (be it Manning, or Brady) but that doesn't mean he's no one of the best.
[/quote]

He's NOT one of the best QB's in NFL history. He's one of the most famous and he's THE most durable.

But I can give you ten QB's that I'd pick ahead of him to lead a drive to save my life ahead of him, without even thinking too hard about it... He's lost as many big games as he's won, if not more, and as such, as far as I'm concerned, is more deserving of comparison to the likes of Jim McMahon than Joe Montana. Yes, he has many records, and he's obviously not a bad QB, but most of those records are based on longevity as much as anything else.

And yes, I get that the training camp thing is not a big deal to most of you, but if that's the case, why is EVERY OTHER PLAYER IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE at training camp? Why is he alone too good to go to training camp? Manning is there. Breese is there. Brady is there. This is EXACTLY why I (sports) hate the prick... He believes his own hype - He honestly thinks he's above everybody else.

Did yiz all hear about him sexting a Jets sideline reporter shots of him having an aul' wank?

USA Today pre-season Coaches Poll for 1-A.

1 Alabama (55)
2 Ohio State (4)
3 Florida
4 Texas
5 Boise State
6 Virginia Tech
7 TCU
8 Oklahoma
9 Nebraska
10 Iowa
11 Oregon
12 Wisconsin
13 Miami (FL)
14 Penn State
15 Pittsburgh
16 LSU
17 Georgia Tech
18 North Carolina
19 Arkansas
20 Florida State
21 Georgia
22 Oregon State
23 Auburn
24 Utah
24 West Virginia

Doesn't mean shit at the moment, but interesting to see where peoples' heads are. Good to see the Broncos and Hornfrogs so high. If either/both go unbeaten again they will definitely be in BCS bowls, and looking at Boise's schedule they could be in the national game picture, especially as Florida and Alabama will likely meet twice this season.

Could be a happy day for Mich St if the Wolverines fall foul of the NCAA again. After RichRod's major violations, it now turns out the NCAA is investigating his tenure at West Virginia for similar infractions. Given that Michigan pleaded for leniency because Rodriguez had a history of following the rules, I imagine the NCAA will want to revisit the Wolverine problems too. Always good to laugh at state rivals, especially when you're looking for a hat-trick of wins against them.

Emmit and Jerry into the hall today ... What a class ... the best WR in NFL history, the best RB in NFL History (sorry George, I said it).

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1150301#msg1150301 date=1281221012]
Emmit and Jerry into the hall today ... What a class ... the best WR in NFL history, the best RB in NFL History (sorry George, I said it).
[/quote]

Well, you're half right... Better than normal for you, when it comes to # 22! ;)

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=39035.msg1150530#msg1150530 date=1281289230]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1150301#msg1150301 date=1281221012]
[/quote]

Well, you're half right... Better than normal for you, when it comes to # 22! ;)
[/quote]

blah blah blah blah

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1150531#msg1150531 date=1281289360]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=39035.msg1150530#msg1150530 date=1281289230]
[/quote]

[/quote]

blah blah blah blah
[/quote]

Ditto, mate. You started it.

And if he didn't, you'd rip him for a lack of humility...

You need to unclench when it comes to all things Cowboys, Avy - I'm just f#$!ing with you.

See Bryant motherfucked Williams when he gave him his pads to carry. No doubt he's a Cowboy already then. Contrast with how Tebow took his far more severe hazing and you probably have your answers to any character questions.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=39035.msg1150801#msg1150801 date=1281343407]

See Bryant motherfucked Williams when he gave him his pads to carry. No doubt he's a Cowboy already then. Contrast with how Tebow took his far more severe hazing and you probably have your answers to any character questions.
[/quote]

Oh come on now, Bryant a) had no idea what it was about and b) explained it really well. If there's one thing I really loathe about Cowboy haters is that EVERYTHING that is done, 'Oh he's already a Cowboy.' He's been a great kid so far, working his ass off, on time every day and showing talent that should have made him a top 10 pick. I could care less how other rooks take their hazing (be it our OLs, Tebow or whoever).

Yeah, Bryant didn't understand about hazing. Shit, he was a Cowboy before he was a Cowboy, in more ways than one, and it cost him his junior season and a shot at the Heisman. Still, I guess it allowed him to slide to his dream team. Nobody really blames him. And now he's owned by Jumbotron Jerry, nobody really expects any class. Probably for the best Michael Irvin wasn't there doing haircuts.

I'm not going to apologise for hating the Cowboys. They're a hatable organisation for two reasons. One - Absolutely everything they do. From their ridiculous video board to their revenue deal shattering big-market sense of entitlement. Two - fishing for Cowboys fans is funny.

that he was an immature kid, isn't a reason to say he 'was a Cowboy'. I know plenty of college kids who missed classes, missed practices etc. They're kids. The US collegiate system isn't really designed for the majority to undertake serious academics, it's parties and fun (and studying senior year). So he fucked up. He paid for it financially ('he was a cowboy,' yes that's why he was the 1st round pick to sign and for far less than he knew he was worth, alla crabtree). Now he's come to work his ass off and you're ripping him for this? Come on ... Give the lad a break. He's not put a step wrong yet, and that's impressive considering the baggage he came with.

You should hate the Pack and Vikes ... At least they prevent the Bears from being great year after year. We rarely have the chance, unless Drew Henson is starting!

Dude, I was goosing. He was a Cowboy because he played at Stillwater. Oklahoma State are called the Cowboys. And I was referencing his dubious relationship with Deion that saw him suspended for much of last season.

I do hate the Pack and the Vikes. But they don't prevent the Bears from being great. We do that all by our ownselves.

My hatred of the Cowboys is more a hatred of Jerry Jones. I despise him. He'd happily tear the league down just to win another Superbowl. He loved the days of the big market NFC domination. The idea of the Saints and Cardinals competing offends him as he sees revenue sharing not as a protection of a truly competitive league's integrity, but as parochial backwater teams dipping into his pockets.

That doesn't mean I don't think the team, or Bryant, are talented. They are. It would have been nice to see Bryant being able to take the thin end of the wedge though.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=39035.msg1150822#msg1150822 date=1281346202]
[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=39035.msg1150801#msg1150801 date=1281343407]

[/quote]

Oh come on now, Bryant a) had no idea what it was about and b) explained it really well. If there's one thing I really loathe about Cowboy haters is that EVERYTHING that is done, 'Oh he's already a Cowboy.' He's been a great kid so far, working his ass off, on time every day and showing talent that should have made him a top 10 pick. I could care less how other rooks take their hazing (be it our OLs, Tebow or whoever).
[/quote]

I have absolutely no issue with DB not allowing Roy Williams (of all f@#!ing people) to screw with him. Actually showed some balls, in my opinion. Hazing is shite.

But don't pretend that you believe that he didn't know what it was all about. He's been playing top-level football since he was a teenager. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

hazing can be fun though ... at uni, we made the freshman on the team dress up as school girls and sing songs for willing pedestrians. good fun! :)

I guess Urban Meyer went to the hall of fame inductions, and Emmit did not mention the Gators once in his speech. Does he have some beef with the school?

Also why Ohio St is ranked so high is beyond me, Big 10 schools should be disqualified from the top 10.

Blatantly biased obviously, though they have a point ;)

Around here, Sanders is still the one
BY JOSHUA WOOD
The Wichita Eagle
Watching the buildup to this year's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony, the attention centered, understandably, on Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith.

The former, we'll grant, is the greatest receiver in the game's history, setting record numbers that far and away eclipse those of his next closest competitor.

Of course Emmitt Smith, the holder of the career rushing record, is unquestionably the greatest... well, no... I can't write it.

While Smith was a fantastic running back and certainly the perfect fit for the dominant team of the 1990s, here in Barry Sanders country, we can't accept that Emmitt was better.

Sure it's all well and good to provide empirical evidence to bolster Smith's status, such as those 18,355 rushing yards, the 164 rushing touchdowns and the Super Bowl XXVIII MVP trophy.

How can we even counter Smith's dominance?

We could argue Sanders' 10-8 advantage in Pro Bowls and 6-4 margin in All-Pro selections; his superior yards per attempt (5 to 4.2) or his yards per game (99.8 to 81.2).

Of course the numbers that really stand out for Barry are the 15,269 rushing yards in only 10 seasons, where Emmitt needed 15 seasons to accumulate his total.

And then there's this number (as the billboard off I-135 attests from time to time between other advertisements):

Emmitt never had a season like Barry's 1997 campaign. Fourteen straight 100-yard games, including two of more than 200 to finish with 2,053 yards. In Detroit's season finale the Lions played a win-or-go-home game against the New York Jets. Barry ran for 184 yards, propelling the Lions into the playoffs, where...they lost.

Barry is the greatest player in the history of one of the oldest, if not always successful, franchises in the league's history.

Emmitt wasn't always even the best player on his own teams.

The Emmitt vs. Barry numbers don't really matter, though.

Barry was better, because he was ours. It's as simple as that.

Who in Wichita, outside of the city's contingent of Cowboys fans, would argue otherwise?

Aside from Barry's father, that is, who always gave the nod of "Greatest Ever" to Jim Brown.

Barry was better because one was likely to see him in Wichita from time to time — on the golf course or in a store.

He was polite. He signed autographs. He allowed fans to tell him repeatedly of that one game, or that one run or that amazing move.

He was the type of person who would invite a fan to his table at a restaurant and share the pizza he and his friends were eating.

Of course the same could probably be said of Emmitt Smith in Dallas or his hometown of Pensacola, Fla.

I have no evidence that Smith is a bad guy at all.

He's just not ours.

There is this final argument in Sanders' favor: there is not a significant portion of his Wikipedia page dedicated to a dance-by-dance breakdown of his appearances on "Dancing with the Stars."

Who's next? — In the time since Sanders took the mantle from Jim Ryun as Wichita's most famous athlete, we've had a number of false starts for the subsequent generations of athletes.

DeAngelo Evans and Korleone Young didn't quite make it to NFL and NBA the way we thought they might.

Maurice Evans, Rashad Washington, Elbert Mack, Mike Pelfrey and Kamerion Wimbley have all had nice pro careers, but they haven't made the national impact Sanders did.

To the next group of potential stars, I just ask this: Be cool. Don't embarrass yourself. Make us proud when you're in an All-Star Game or a championship series.

Then for the rest of your life you'll have middle-aged sportswriters and bar patrons in Wichita sing your praises and claim you were way better than Michael Jordan, Johnny Unitas or Joe DiMaggio.

We're easy to please.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/08/08/v-print/1438106/around-here-sanders-is-still-the.html#ixzz0w94cApVA

I liked some of the Big 10 teams last year, but I think everyone lost their minds at Tyrelle Pryor's Rose Bowl performance when he lit up the Ducks. Not sure that's a bellwether for what we'll see all season. They have to go to Wisconsin and Iowa in divisional play, and Penn State have a reasonable side right now so long as Paterno stays upright. It's Wisconsin I quite like though. All of their O-line return, and I think they only lost one starter on the offense as a whole. John Clay has machine legs and Tolzien looks like he could be an efficient game manager. Other side of the ball might be a problem as they lost Schofield and a few others. Chris Borland is a terrific LB though. Like you said though, none of them are top ten sides.

Thing is, Ohio return most of their team. They'll probably win 11 games, minimum. Florida are Tebowless, and Alabama lost most of their defence. Florida and Alabama meet in a scheduled cross-divisional in the SEC and then could meet again in the SEC championship game. So one or both of them will definitely have a loss, possibly two. A good season will see Ohio in the national title picture for sure. I mean, if they lose one game, they'll easily be ranked in front of an undefeated Boise or TCU side. Big market BCS conference sideswill always be ranked above their ability. Jesus, look at the Big 12. Joke of a conference. I don't believe for a second that Texas would have beaten TCU or Boise last season.

Big 10 gets more interesting with the Cornhuskers next season, and a Championship game. And the Big 12 gets significantly less interesting as it literally becomes the new Big 10 as Colorado walk too.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=39035.msg1151320#msg1151320 date=1281388259]

We could argue Sanders' 10-8 advantage in Pro Bowls and 6-4 margin in All-Pro selections; his superior yards per attempt (5 to 4.2) or his yards per game (99.8 to 81.2).

Of course the numbers that really stand out for Barry are the 15,269 rushing yards in only 10 seasons, where Emmitt needed 15 seasons to accumulate his total.

[/quote]

End of discussion.

Barry did better per carry, per game and per season (1,527 yards V 1,224) on a bad team, that played two or three less games per season, with a terrible O-Line than Emmitt did on a dynasty, behind arguably the greatest O-Line ever assembled.

Q.E.D.

Who did better per game and per season, Joe Montana or Dan Marino? Who had better tools and a better OL?

If you're going by stats, I guess Mr. Tennessee is a better back than Barry and Emmit? If he does it for 6-7 more seasons, I guess that's all you go by ...

Back
Top Bottom