• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL - Offseason, Draft & 2016/17 Season

How did the Steelers do? Any insight welcome.

How did the Steelers do? Any insight welcome.

Walter Football write up:

[article]Pittsburgh Steelers: C+ Grade
Goals Entering the 2016 NFL Draft: The Steelers appear to have the fire power on offense to make a Super Bowl run. The problem has been their defense, particularly their secondary. The cornerback and safety spots must be shored up early in the 2016 NFL Draft. Pittsburgh also needs a couple of upgrades in the trenches, and a new backup quarterback wouldn't hurt either.

2016 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Steelers often are able to obtain a top-ranked prospect who somehow falls to them late in the first round. Jarvis Jones, David DeCastro and Alvin Dupree all qualify as examples. That, however, did not happen this year, and Pittsburgh didn't have a great option as usual. As a result, the team reached on the raw Artie Burns. The Miami product could fill a need if he develops, but there's still a lot of work left to do with him. That's not ideal for a first-round pick.

It got better for the Steelers after that, but only by default. Sean Davis was a fine pick in the second round, as he'll further bolster Pittsburgh's horrible secondary. Fourth-rounder Jerald Hawkins has some upside and could eventually start at left tackle. However, Javon Hargrave, taken in the third frame, was a confusing selection in terms of his fit into a 3-4 scheme.

Excluding seventh-rounder Tyler Matakevich, who actually might have been the steal of the entire draft, the Steelers didn't score higher than a B+ with any of their picks. Only two choices were worse than a "B," but one of those happens to be the No. 1 selection, so that carries extra weight.

The Steelers deserve an underwhelming C+. This certainly wasn't a horrible haul, but they could've done much better with their 2016 class. [/article]

Bottom line is though - with your team, you guys normally draft players who contribute regardless of what 'the geniuses' say ... So you'll be fine.

Art Briles, coach of Baylor fired after covering up of sexual assault by his players. This will have repercussions for Texas football.

Why Texas?

I did not mean Texas Longhorn football. I meant football in the state of Texas.

Last few years, there have been tons of articles and rightfully so about the power shift in football in the state of Texas. I think Baylor football program will dip after this for some years atleast.

"Repercussions" was a wrong word to use. What I meant that this can change the landscape a bit.

And College Football is back.

Tennessee stumbles against Appalachian State. Some good games this weekend

USC vs Bama, FSU vs Ole Miss, Clemson vs Auburn, Notre Dame vs Longhorns.

Houston are leading the Sooners around by their nose right now. Which is amusing.

Coach Herman must be the number one choice for all the coaching vacancies if the season goes this way.

Les Miles must be the favorite for the chop now after the loss to Wisconsin.

So how is this Dak Prescott lad then? Any good?

He's probably had one of the greatest preseasons by a rookie QB ever - and that's going by feedback from most 'experts.'

It means nothing in the regular season though ... To be good, he'll need Zeke and the OL to give him some time as he'll be facing quite a few 8 men fronts, as NFL Ds dare him to beat them with Dez/T-Will/Beasley ...

That Bridgewater injury sounds bad and the trade for Bradford means one of two things - either the Vikings think they have a good chance this year or they think Bridgewater will be out for more than a season.

I've no idea which it is

He's probably had one of the greatest preseasons by a rookie QB ever - and that's going by feedback from most 'experts.'

It means nothing in the regular season though ... To be good, he'll need Zeke and the OL to give him some time as he'll be facing quite a few 8 men fronts, as NFL Ds dare him to beat them with Dez/T-Will/Beasley ...

I saw some of the highlights yesterday from the pre season games. Looked good. As you say it will be quite different when the regular season kicks off against the Giants.

That Bridgewater injury sounds bad and the trade for Bradford means one of two things - either the Vikings think they have a good chance this year or they think Bridgewater will be out for more than a season.

I've no idea which it is

Their defense is good, they have a 1400+ yards per season RB, and their WR corps - if memory serves me well - isn't too shabby either.
Bradford, if healthy, can throw accurately ...
They were SB contenders before the injury ... They had to do this to at least stay relevant in the NFC, which they should.

Broncos - Panthers tonight. Will be good to get the season started.
Hoping for Cowboys win against the Giants @LeTallecWiz but I doubt that will happen

Broncos - Panthers tonight. Will be good to get the season started.
Hoping for Cowboys win against the Giants @LeTallecWiz but I doubt that will happen

We have had a really good record against them in openers ...
They spent billions (ok ok I exaggerate) to improve their d, which will need to be at its best to control the Cowboys' o-line. The Giants could start 5 kindergarten students on their OL, and Eli would still be ok - he releases the ball so quickly.

Key match ups -
Zeke/Dak vs the Giants D. The last time a rookie QB/RB started was Weeden/Richardson I think ... That was pretty crap ... Let's see what these boys can do.
Smith vs Vernon ... He killed Smith last year while at the Dolphins ... Blind side protection key for Dak.
Claiborne/Carr/Scandrick vs Giants WR ... The Cowboys D line will get no pressure on Manning (if it's really possible) so they'll have to be bloody good and take advantage of any presents Manning gifts thems.
Keep an eye out for Brown (Rookie CB - he's been fantastic in preseason) and Swaim (2nd year TE, whom Dak really did well with the last few months)

Cowboys-Giants post game:

-Meet the 2016 Cowboys, same as the 2015 Cowboys ... Good effort all-round but FGs don't win games in today's NFL.
-Tough debut for Zeke (will get to it later)
-Surprised with our defense - to hold the Giants to what we did was impressive, but as usual, when you need stops (2015 is over guys!), they don't give 'em ... 3 for 3 in red zone is crap.
-Dak looks like he's going to be a solid NFL player - which is what you want from a 4th rounder. The upside is there, and it seems the game plan was simple (as it was for Weeden Cassel etc last year), which is going to cause the same issues it did last year.
-If Beasley doesn't drop a rather simple catch in the beginning, it's 7-0 ... not 3-0.
-Last but not least ... This Giants team has all the 'signs' of a super bowl winning team (unfortunately). QB who never gets injured and is clutch? Check. Solid RBs? Check. WR playmakers? Check. Scary defensive line (JPP, Vernon, Snacks and Hankie)? Check. Ballhawk CBs? Check. Their only question marks are the O-Line, which seems solid and will grow in confidence if it stays healthy, and a average LB core ... Dark horse ...

If we get that ball out of bounce with 6 seconds left, there was every bit of chance that we could win it with a FG.
Feels bad that loss. :(

Did not watch the entire game but was impressed with Prescott from what I saw. Early days but Carson Wentz looks like a star.

Very happy with that today.
Roethlisberger managing a game like a franchise guy.
Brown on fire. And Williams playing like a man 10 years younger and covering brilliantly for Bell.

I know its only the Redskins, but a big win on the road game 1.
All day long.

If we could keep out roster fit and on the field we could go deep into the playoffs.

I fell asleep at halftime last night.

The first half was tight but the Steelers had some good luck - Brown's fumble called as incomplete, Roethlisberger's fumble being fumbled by Kerrigan and recovered by the OL that hit him, the ricochet TD- but that good luck was mixed with real ballsy play. The pass to Brown for a TD on 4th and 1 , going for a similar play again and 4th and 1 led to the second TD.
Fortune favours the brave, I suppose!

The LA Lambs are back in style ... My biggest fear is JJ fires Garrett at season's end and replaces him with Fischer, whom he loves ...

I fell asleep at halftime last night.

The first half was tight but the Steelers had some good luck - Brown's fumble called as incomplete, Roethlisberger's fumble being fumbled by Kerrigan and recovered by the OL that hit him, the ricochet TD- but that good luck was mixed with real ballsy play. The pass to Brown for a TD on 4th and 1 , going for a similar play again and 4th and 1 led to the second TD.
Fortune favours the brave, I suppose!
Those two bombs down the left from Ben were epic. That changed the game.
I loved Tomlins play calling all night. They set up for rush and faced nothing but zonal. I was surprised they never adapted.
The concern for me was how easily and quickly the punched through in the 4th quarter.

All in all very happy though, ben was scoring for fun and great to see some old school Steeler running.

The one to Brown was perfect - i know a big deal was being made of Josh Norman not being on that side , but Breeland wasn't exactly terrible on the play. A great receiver was hit with a perfect pass.

The LA Lambs are back in style ... My biggest fear is JJ fires Garrett at season's end and replaces him with Fischer, whom he loves ...
Zero points with Gurley and Austin in the offence is pretty embarrassing for Fischer and staff.
Keenum is downright awful though.
Surely Goff can't be this bad?

Zero points with Gurley and Austin in the offence is pretty embarrassing for Fischer and staff.
Keenum is downright awful though.
Surely Goff can't be this bad?

Nah - considering the success of the 3 'Rookies' (I'm counting Grufallo - yes I know), I'd agree.

Back
Top Bottom