• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL Regular Season Thread

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26841.msg760723#msg760723 date=1230054352]
as do the Manning brothers
[/quote]

echem...one of those Manning brothers has only ever shown to be clutch and had one of the most clutch drives of all time with the most clutch play of all time in one of the best games of all time

Eli is cool calm leader of troops and definitely a winner.

Another Cowboys player moaning....

Williams frustrated in return to Texas
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 26, 2008, 10:44 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print

Field Pass: Cowboys Vs. EaglesA Dallas Cowboys wide receiver says he's frustrated by a perceived lack of involvement in the offense -- and it's not Terrell Owens.

Nearly a month ago, Owens and fellow receivers Patrick Crayton and Roy E. Williams met separately with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to express their concerns about the team's offense.

Since then, Crayton and Owens have said they've seen some positive results in the way the offense is running. Williams, however, has been frustrated as the Cowboys have struggled, and admitted as much as Dallas readied for its win-or-go-home game Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation
Williams, who has been dealing with a foot injury, has 17 receptions for 194 yards and one touchdown since the Cowboys dealt their first-round, third-round and sixth-round picks to the Detroit Lions to acquire him. And after trying to dismiss questions about his limited production since coming to Dallas, in a trade that was seen as a way for the Cowboys to open up the offense and give quarterback Tony Romo a deep-ball threat, Williams opened up.

"I know I am a player in this league," Williams said, according to Dallas-Fort Worth area media reports. "My thing is, if you brought me in half the season, you obviously know what I am capable of doing. You wouldn't have spent what you did to get a person. You know what I can do. I know what I can do. I can tell you what I can't do. I'm just waiting."

Owens stuck up for Williams, saying his teammate has legitimate reasons to be frustrated.

Roy E. Williams

"If you bring a guy over here and you pay him that much money, you want [him] to be involved," Owens said, according to The (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram. "He has a lot of talent. Otherwise, he wouldn't be here. I'm not saying that in a negative way. I'm saying that because I know he can help the team. Once we figure out a way we can get him more involved and he can help this offense, the better off we'll be."

The trade rescued Williams from the hapless Lions and brought him back home, where he starred at Texas and at Odessa Permian High School (of "Friday Night Lights" fame). It also resulted in a five-year, $45 million contract with the Cowboys.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said a number of factors have played a role in Williams' lack of production with the Cowboys. He came to the team at midseason and didn't play with Romo, who was out with a finger injury, for three weeks, Phillips explained. And Williams' foot injury has also affected him, Phillips said.

"I think we do need to get comfortable with him," Phillips said, according to the Star-Telegram. "I don't think we've come to that point. We haven't had that feel yet. But I think we will as we go along or certainly next year."

Williams said he has not been hindered by the injury -- and that he is getting open on the field.

"People can watch the film," Williams said, according to the Star-Telegram. "I'm doing what I am coached to do."

But Williams said the most important thing is for the Cowboys to win on Sunday and earn an NFC wild-card playoff berth. He said he made that point earlier this week to teammates who have been ribbing him about having played for the winless Lions, who could become the NFL's first 0-16 team on Sunday.

"That's what I told guys," Williams said, according to the Star-Telegram. "They joke about me with the 0-16 Detroit thing and I just told them, 'If we don't win this game, we're all in the same boat. We both are going to be watching the same playoff game next week.' They all understood that. That put it in perspective."

Owens, for his part, said the Cowboys' offense will click "if we do the necessary things," according to the Dallas Morning News. "If Tony has the time and we get holes for guys who run the ball effectively and Tony can pass effectively, we can't be stopped."

Sunday's game against the Eagles does offer some hope for Williams and the Cowboys. The last time he played in Philadelphia, with the Lions, he had 204 yards receiving.

"I've always wanted to be on a team that just streaks, you know, that just hits it," Williams said. "I hope that we can do that. All we need is just five wins in a row. ... One of my goals also is to be the first team in the [Obama] White House."

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has fallen behind in his recovery efforts from knee surgery and could risk missing next season if a second operation is needed, NBCSports.com has reported.

Brady, who underwent surgery on Oct. 6 after tearing the ACL and MCL ligaments in his left knee in the first quarter of the season's first game, had subsequent operations on the knee after it became infected.

The scar tissue has also affected Brady's ability to fully begin rehabilitating his leg, the report said, and the repaired ligaments remain loose.

Another surgery could also be needed for that condition, the Web site reported.

Backup quarterback Matt Cassel replaced Brady as the starter and has helped lead the Patriots (10-5) to the verge of a playoff berth.

[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=26841.msg764063#msg764063 date=1230494315]
14-14 Detroit - You have to believe SG.
[/quote]

Ha, CJ x2.

Kevin Smith on 69 yards. Needs 114 in total for 1000 for the season. For a rookie who's only played half the season as starter and is behind the worst o-line in the league, that would be incredible.

a few NFL & a team record broken today:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison and Dallas Clark wasted no time in hitting milestones Sunday against Tennessee.

Manning extended his own NFL record for 4,000-yard passing seasons to nine, while Harrison moved into second on the NFL's career receptions list and Clark broke the franchise's long-standing single-season record for yards receiving by a tight end.

Manning entered the game needing 93 yards to hit 4,000, achieving it on a 55-yard touchdown play to Joseph Addai. The two-time league MVP left the game after the opening possession, finishing 7-of-7 for 95 yards with one TD and a perfect 158.3 rating. He has failed to hit 4,000 yards passing in only two of his 11 NFL seasons -- 1998, his rookie year, and 2005, when he threw only 14 passes in the final two games and finished with 3,747 yards.

Dan Marino ranks second all-time with six 4,000-yard seasons.

Harrison, the record-setting receiver, achieved another milestone midway through the second quarter. A short pass from Jim Sorgi gave Harrison his seventh reception of the game and 1,102 in his career. It moved him past Cris Carter for second all-time, leaving him behind only Jerry Rice, who holds the league record with 1,549.

Clark also had his moment in the spotlight.

He needed 41 yards to break the record set by Hall of Famer John Mackey in 1966. Clark accomplished that when he turned a short pass into a 23-yard gain on the second play of the second quarter. He left the game with six catches for 59 yards, giving him 848 yards, 19 more than Mackey's previous mark.

[quote author=bkwitche link=topic=26841.msg764070#msg764070 date=1230494560]
My home state Panthers whoopin up right now.
[/quote]

Oops!

And there we have it. I had 30 teams to choose from when I started watching American Football, and I have chosen to support the team that in 2008 became the worst team of all-time. 0-16 is fantasy no longer.

I thank you.

Well, you're a true fan, amigo.

Congrats, by the way.

In other NFL news, Brett Favre f#$!s up in a big game shocker! Let's turn this one back around, eh, Brett?

Iggles up 10-3 ... Judging by how this season has gone, I don't think we're going to win this one ... Just don't see it unfortunately.

what can i say ... this is probably the most disappointed i've been as a cowboys fan ...

the team isn't prepared for a 'playoff' game ... they look scared and disinterested ... to be down 27-3 to a team that got 3 pts against the Redskins is rather embarrassing and pathetic.

A few points:
1) Witten is the only 'proper' offensive player we have (not including o-line). He actually plays football - doesn't talk, doesn't moan - just plays football whether he's healthy or not.
2) Jason Garrett needs to go - he is the most overrated coordinator in the history of the sport and I wonder if Jones is cursing his luck that he paid 3m for this guy to keep him away from Baltimore.
3) Wade Phillips can coach our defense next year - get Bill Cowher in here.
4) Tony Romo is a gifted lad - but his inability to stop making stupid throws game after game will certainly keep him from being a 'great' QB. I wouldn't put him in the top 10 in the league due to this.
5) A team trades for a gifted WR and doesn't use him at all - and when it does, it's for 2 yard passes. Yup, Roy Williams ... Great trade for the Lions, and will hopefully prove to be a 'great' trade for the Cowboys next year. This year however? F

At least I don't have to waste sleeping hours after this game until next season - I just hope the Falcons or Panthers can represent the NFC ...

I think this team has to rank up there with the 'Jackie Fox' Cowboys team (that dropped a Super Bowl trophy) as the most disappointing ever.

i won't bother responding ... and hopefully, this is my last NFL related post till the draft ...

this is one bad year for dallas' sporting teams ...

A few things as the season wraps up for my beloved Pats.

1. Congrats to Miami - Superb turn-around from last year. Well deserved.

2. Well done also to New England - Considering the injuries they've had all through the season, they did a great job to be in contention on week 17.

3. It's insane that a team can finish at 11-5 and NOT make it to the playoffs, when another team can go 8-8 and get in.

4. The New York Jets are quite simply, a worthless franchise. EVERY single f#$!ing time it matters, they bend over and take it up the arse - The quintessential choke artists...

5. ... who are quarterbacked by the single biggest choke artist of them all. Ladies and gentlemen, one of the most overrated players of all time:

favre%20cries%20at%20presser.jpg

What's wrong, goldenballs? Were you asked why you continue to throw pathetic interceptions EVERY time it really matters?

Do us all a favour... Stay retired this season, will ya? Douchebag.

Meh...

Outstanding from NE today and for adapting to the Brady loss... They were spunking over Cassel on Sky today... From what i've seen he won't be as good as Brady.

Sad way for Favre to go out, Picked followed by Illegal Pass.

I seriously hope one of the lesser fancied teams go on to win it now.

San diego were my pick from the start of the season, and im starting to think they might just be gaining momentum at the right time.
Obviously they have to actually get there, but if they do......

Cowboys cut ties with CB Jones after one season
Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- Cornerback Adam Jones was released Wednesday by the Dallas Cowboys following a season in which he was suspended six games for an off-field incident.

Dallas Cowboys
» Video | Schedule | Stats
» Roster | Depth chart | Transactions
» Official team site: DallasCowboys.com
The transaction will not become official until Feb. 9, the first day NFL teams can make waiver requests.

"He was surprised, and I think he was obviously somewhat hurt," said Worrick Robinson, Jones' agent. "At the same time, he understands the business behind what is happening here."

The Cowboys traded for Jones during the offseason, even though he had been suspended for the entire 2007 season because of a series of off-field incidents.

Jones missed six games this season for violating the league's player-conduct policy after an Oct. 7 scuffle with a team bodyguard at a Dallas hotel. He missed a seventh game because of an injury.

Jones averaged just 4.5 yards per punt return and had no interceptions.

Robinson said he didn't believe Jones' suspension was a factor in the Cowboys' decision to release the cornerback.

"We don't have any reason to believe at this point that that off-the-field incident had anything to do with the team's decision today," Robinson said. "I know there was certainly a lot of bad that came out of that situation, but there was some good that came out of that situation as well."

Back
Top Bottom