1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

NFL Thread 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Karl Hungus, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Leo

Leo Curse the day Banned

So it wasn't an excellent throw as you first said.
    Either way it was brilliant from Sherman but I still don't get why they didn't go for at least one screen play and use a time out but I'm not a coordinator spose.
    The officiating was hideous too.
    The roughing the passer call on that punt was a real game changer.

2. DHSC

DHSC Well-Known Member

fuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk.

:(

3. Whirly

Whirly Sucks to Suck. Member

Yeah, on second look it was a bit short. Still the right read I would say.

I'm a big proponent of screen passes, but I don't think the 49ers have the best personnel to run screens.

Officiating missed a couple of calls absolutely, but other than the Bowman fumble recovery and the punter bit, I thought they did a good job. The call on the recovery needs to be made quickly if they want to avoid the ball changing hands at the bottom of the pile which is the issue, but we saw the same rule come up with the Steelers/illegal bat play during the regular season. I see why the rule exists, but they can probably add some circumstances where possession can be reviewed.

Happy with the non-call on the punter, even if it was the wrong call letter of the law. Running into the punter/kicker shouldn't exist IMO, and Roughing should be the penalty if there's obvious malicious intent/excessive contact. Incidental contact shouldn't be a foul I say, as was the case.

4. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Administrator Administrator

5. LeTallecWiz

It was a good time to take a shot into the endzone. Your favorite WR, 1 on 1 with no help. Bar a brilliant defensive play from the best corner in football, he most likely catches it.

As for his comments - Part and parcel of the NFL (& NBA). Non-stop trash-talking and jawing (I didn't see any complaints when Boldin did this non-stop against Carolina, or Kaepernick taunted Cam Newton). It may not come off nice, but it's part of the proper rivalries (look at Cowboys-Giants jawing, and they're both shit, and then Jason Hatcher's post game speech, "I ate me a Giant").

I love it though understand why it turns you guys off.

6. RedZeppelin III

RedZeppelin III Guest

Is being the best cornerback in the league a bit like being the best full back or centre back in football ? You're rightly praised but you're no messi , ronaldo or suarez.

7. LeTallecWiz

It's not a glamor position like the offensive positions ... but you remember Primetime and what being the best CB meant to him...

Deon actuall mentioned something on NFL.com - he says Seattle's secondary may be one of the best ever. They have a right to be cocky ... Will be interesting to see how Sherman a) handles Super Bowl week (I bet he's far far clamer, the kid is smart) and b) if he shuts down Thomas.

8. LeTallecWiz

9. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Sherman is a cunt. Great player though.

10. Rosco

Rosco Worse than Brendan Member

Statistically they are I think.

There was some crazy stat that the QB rating of Seattle's opposing quarter backs was worse than the worst QB rating by any starter over the season

11. Rosco

Rosco Worse than Brendan Member

Best offence v best defence = classic Super Bowl

12. LeTallecWiz

Article: RENTON, Wash. -- Richard Sherman isn't who you think he is.

He isn't any of the awful things he's being called on Twitter these days.

He isn't a gangster or a punk or a moron or a classless jerk.

And, in all honesty, before I became the Seahawks reporter for ESPN.com's NFL Nation this season, I thought a few of those things, too.

I hadn't met Sherman personally and knew him only from his arrogant ways on national television and his occasional taunting of his opponents. He seemed like one of those pampered professional athletes who cared only about himself.

I'm here to tell you, it just isn't true.

As someone who interacts with Sherman on a regular basis, I can say, unequivocally, that he is as nice a guy as you could ever meet. He goes out of his way to be cooperative and courteous to anyone who needs a moment of his time.

Sherman also is one of the most intelligent young men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He is a proud graduate of Stanford, one of the most prestigious academic universities in the world.

He is a rare individual who managed to overcome his station in life, growing up in L.A.'s Compton neighborhood, a place where danger lurks, on every corner, at every moment.

That environment comes with people constantly doubting you, a feeling Sherman knows all too well. So he enters each day wanting to show those doubters they were wrong.

And, sometimes, it gets the best of him, as it did after Sunday's emotional 23-17 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game.

Sherman made the game-saving play at the end, showing his athleticism in tipping away a pass in the end zone intended for 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree, which linebacker Malcolm Smith intercepted for the Seahawks.

That's when Sherman lost his composure in the excitement of the moment. He failed to take the high road and reverted to his bad-boy image.

“I'm the best corner in the game," Sherman yelled in a Fox Sports interview moments after the game. “When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're gonna get. Don't you ever talk about me. Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm gonna shut it for you real quick.”

So Sherman let it fly and fed into all the perceptions people have of him. He apologized on Monday, but probably made a lot of people Broncos fans for the Super Bowl.

That doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's sad that Sherman's national reputation is so different from the person he is, a truly giving and passionate guy who dedicates himself to underprivileged kids growing up in the same environment he faced. He tells them, "If I can do it, you can do it."

Sherman is an emotional man. Those emotions are heightened in the heat of a game.

“We did sit down and talk about it,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Monday. “I want him to present himself in his best light. He's an incredible kid. He really cares and has great awareness. He's a very thoughtful person, but he knows he caused a stir.

“He was really clear [in their meeting] that the last thing he wanted to do was take something away from what our team has accomplished. He got caught in the throes of the battle, particularly for a guy who plays on such an edge, emotionally, like Richard does.”

One of the many things I have learned in more than 30 years of covering sports is that an athlete's public image often differs enormously from who he or she is away from the public eye.

An athlete can come across as Santa Claus when the camera lights are on but be closer to the Grinch when no cameras are around.

Sherman is the opposite side of that equation, an ogre to some in his national persona but a man you would be proud to call your friend if you knew him away from the limelight.

Sherman made a mistake Sunday night, but he isn't the person you think he is.

13. Leo

Leo Curse the day Banned

What a cheesy load of shite that article is.
    If I hear about another guy's struggle growing up on the wrong side of the tracks I'm going to be ill.

14. LeTallecWiz

Sherman's jersey is now one of the top 10 most selling jerseys ... Only defensive player in the list.

15. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

16. Leo

Leo Curse the day Banned

Fancied Denver originally but changed to the Seahawks over the last few days.
    If Lynch can keep Manning off the pitch by moving the chains there's only one winner.

17. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Very Well-Known Honorary Member

18. Leo

Leo Curse the day Banned

Seattle keeping manning on the sidelines here.
    That hit on Demarius Thomas was fucking crunch.

19. livvy145

livvy145 Well-Known Member

Denver getting bummed

20. RedZeppelin III

RedZeppelin III Guest

as a 49ers fan i fucking hate seattle . Not enjoying this .