• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Other forum meltdown watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
City are still a very good team, but I watched that game and I was surprised at how flat and one-paced they were. Everything seemed too slow, and they didn't really change up how they played, even when it wasn't working.

Obviously they're missing players in defence and attack, but some of the big signings didn't look as good as the players they replaced; Rodri just doesn't sense danger like Fernandinho and doesn't offer as much protection; their LB (whoever they play there) is a fucking disaster; they don't actually have any decent fit CBs; Jesus is a poor substitute for Aguero and the two Silvas look well off the pace.

Any side would miss the likes of Sane, Aguero, Laporte and Kompany, but a club as rich as City should not have to play a 33 yaer old DM as a centre-half.

It makes you wonder if they had to curtail their spending, relatively speaking, so as to make it less blatantly obvious how much they were flouting FFP.

Probably just hubris and arrogance - almost sounded a bit Fumey there...

It makes you wonder if they had to curtail their spending, relatively speaking, so as to make it less blatantly obvious how much they were flouting FFP.

Probably just hubris and arrogance - almost sounded a bit Fumey there...

Well, I suppose they have eschewed big, splashy £70-80m-plus signings, but that doesn't really hide the fact they've spent over a billion on lots and lots of 30-40-50m signings.

Just look at the full-backs: Angelino (laughably shit) £11m; Walker £50m; Cancelo £60m; Mendy £52m.

fuck's sake.

Walker has been good for them.

Not sure what the deal is with Cancelo but Mendy for 50M has been a disaster so far.

Stuart Pearce has been saying city need another striker because if Jesus gets injured they have no backup. How many top drawer players does he want in that squad, sure why don't we just allow city to have a 40 man match day squad as they can afford to fill it.

Well, I suppose they have eschewed big, splashy £70-80m-plus signings, but that doesn't really hide the fact they've spent over a billion on lots and lots of 30-40-50m signings.

Just look at the full-backs: Angelino (laughably shit) £11m; Walker £50m; Cancelo £60m; Mendy £52m.

fuck's sake.

I don't remember the who's who now but lots of their defensive signings have been the second or third most expensive defensive signings ever at the time.

Sure they didn't sign Van Dijk but Stones and Walker were definitely not far off record breaking deals when they were done, it does make me wonder if @StevieM is right and the manager isn't allowed to break transfer records so they can hold some sort of high ground on spending.

Yesterday I heard on Talksport they were discussing a penalty decision and the commentator said he couldn’t understand why it was taking so long to award the penalty as it was obviously going to be given, in the studio they were talking about what VAR was checking and said “we can check what they are looking for on the App” and told the guy at the ground that VAR weren’t even looking at a penalty or offside but just if it was a goal or not.
What App are they talking about and surely if there is one it could be checked if VAR was working at all at Klanfield and also what is being checked each time.
The commentator said he was sick and tired of VAR and so was the SU manager when he spoke to him.
Just mic them up and show it on the screen so everybody knows what is going on, and if the ground doesn’t have a screen then they shouldn’t be allowed to play there, ie OT & Klanfield- make them have a screen and if they have to lose capacity then so be it.
We are going to be cheated out of the best ever footballing season of 100 points and the w4nkers in Merseyside will be shown as the highest points scorers and they remove all our records. It is a fraud of the highest order.
All this is designed so we implode, they are hoping our fans will stop going and our owners will leave, that’s what they want.
I fücking hate football with a passion right now, it is bent.

GOT currently debating the merits of the latest manager to be linked with Eberton: Unai Emery.

"He plays ponce football doesn’t he? When are people gona realise that ponce football never works at Everton. We are the Dogs of War!

We need someone passionate and loud. Look at Klopp, look at Bing Dunc, it is possible. Why are we always going for boring tacticians?"

Should probably out this thing that's it's all 14 yr old kids to rest.. the guys having a nervous breakdown

Wow.

So, the Sterling offside decision that the caller acknowledges was right, was wrong. Virgil "mowed down" the forward last Wednesday ("I have never seen a defender mow down a player like that before!") and Sadio being kicked across the back of both legs against Leicester wasn't a penalty?

Of course, no mention of the Villa game where VAR kept adjusting the line until it made Bobby 'offiside' for what should have stood as our equalizer...

These twats are fucking delusional.

Sadio was kicked. Didn't go down. And then decide to dive a second later.

Similar to Rashford's penalty against Spurs the other day.

But on the other hand, he was clearly fouled against Everton, when he went around the GK. Decided to try his hardest to stay on his feet and score, no advantage was gained, and yet the referee still didn't award a penalty or blow it back.

This is why players go down (albeit belatedly) when they are fouled. Because refs don't play the advantage rule correctly, in the box, when it comes to penalties.

The Leicester one was a definite penalty. I don't get why everyone moans about it. Yeah, he's gone to ground when he's felt the contact, but you have to there. Ref wouldn't give it otherwise.

I see what you say, but I am not sure I follow. It is a dive if you dive Surely?

What I consider "a dive" is when there's no contact and the player tries to con the ref.

What Sadio did against Leicester was feel the kick across both his legs, and go down. Flamboyantly, yes, but he wasn't conning anybody... There was a foul, hence there's not a dive (as I define it).

GOT currently debating the merits of the latest manager to be linked with Eberton: Unai Emery.

"He plays ponce football doesn’t he? When are people gona realise that ponce football never works at Everton. We are the Dogs of War!

We need someone passionate and loud. Look at Klopp, look at Bing Dunc, it is possible. Why are we always going for boring tacticians?"

I love how because he's funny and passionate that some fans of other teams don't realise that Klopp is an excellent "tactician". I guess that suits Klopp too though.

What I consider "a dive" is when there's no contact and the player tries to con the ref.

What Sadio did against Leicester was feel the kick across both his legs, and go down. Flamboyantly, yes, but he wasn't conning anybody... There was a foul, hence there's not a dive (as I define it).

But you can con the ref even when there is contact. I have seen many times i.e. Young at United kicking out making contact with a defender and throw himself to the ground. It is a con and shouldn't be awarded any foul. Bt when the contact is made and the player go down by just going down is a dive even if it is a penalty? I see JJ change the wording to simulation which complicates the whole thing.

And I mean we have been entitled to a lot of penalties not given us (especially Suarez was hard done by) and Mane has been entitled to penalties when going down a bit easy. But I am not sure I will start liking that players go down easy just because it is Mane instead of Young.

Yeah may be he dived...but if he didn't do that I would want him kicked out of the starting eleven promptly.

If you put body in line in midfield to win a freekick, it's an art....if you do it to win a penalty...?

There's a difference between leaving the leg in to draw contact and pretend you were fouled (Young) and going down, having been fouled (Mane).

I'm not arguing that any contact = foul, nor am I saying that it's not a dive if there's contact... The example you've given above is a dive. All that I'm saying is, specific to Sadio's penalty against Leicester, there was a foul and Sadio went down... The fact that he went down like he did doesn't change the fact that he was fouled initially, and, for me, if there's a foul - and not just contact, a la Young - it's not a dive.

That's all I'm saying. And I've really only been talking about that peno against Leicester.

But you can con the ref even when there is contact. I have seen many times i.e. Young at United kicking out making contact with a defender and throw himself to the ground. It is a con and shouldn't be awarded any foul. Bt when the contact is made and the player go down by just going down is a dive even if it is a penalty? I see JJ change the wording to simulation which complicates the whole thing.

And I mean we have been entitled to a lot of penalties not given us (especially Suarez was hard done by) and Mane has been entitled to penalties when going down a bit easy. But I am not sure I will start liking that players go down easy just because it is Mane instead of Young.

No, it really doesn't. On the contrary it's the term "dive" which does that, for two reasons: (a) because it means different things to different people as this thread demonstrates and (b) because it doesn't appear in the rules of the game, and it's those rules which say what constitutes a foul.

The penalty vs Leicester was subject to VAR review and still given, it was clearly a foul. Mane exaggerated but was fouled. I dont know if I count that as a dive. But it's not the equivalent of what young does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom