• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Other games 21-22 January

Status
Not open for further replies.
What they really need is Rio as director of football

451wA05.gif

I don't think they're going to sack him... They're showing no desire to do anything other than keep him around. I really don't think that the owners give much of a shite about football, once the bottom line remains healthy.

(Waits for news of Ole's sacking in the next 20 seconds)

The more seasons they spend out of the Champions League the less healthy their financial position looks.

Poor the Utd they made great strides against us and then they lose against the ginger1.

I'm scared that I/we are enjoying United's situation too much and karma is going to kick us in the balls tomorrow night

The prevailing sentiment from the media and club seems to be that Gollum Jr will be given time, patience and the chance to build, regardless of where they finish relative to European places.

We keep reading how much time Klopp was given, or indeed Baconface himself. But those two came with pedigree and trophies. Ole was managing Molde and relegated Cardiff before being sacked. His lack of credentials and obvious managerial talent has so far been given a protective layer by his Old Trafford status.

And I get that. But the problem is while patience, time and rebuilding are all laudable, it has to be under the right manager. And that seems a huge gamble, even if Woodward has had so many managerial failures under his watch, perhaps he's got a "last chance saloon" feeling now; he HAS to make it work.

But how long can that be sustained? What if he loses more games than he wins between now and the rest of the season, and finishes mid-table? Doesn't seem likely he would survive that.

The prevailing sentiment from the media and club seems to be that Gollum Jr will be given time, patience and the chance to build, regardless of where they finish relative to European places.

We keep reading how much time Klopp was given, or indeed Baconface himself. But those two came with pedigree and trophies. Ole was managing Molde and relegated Cardiff before being sacked. His lack of credentials and obvious managerial talent has so far been given a protective layer by his Old Trafford status.

And I get that. But the problem is while patience, time and rebuilding are all laudable, it has to be under the right manager. And that seems a huge gamble, even if Woodward has had so many managerial failures under his watch, perhaps he's got a "last chance saloon" feeling now; he HAS to make it work.

But how long can that be sustained? What if he loses more games than he wins between now and the rest of the season, and finishes mid-table? Doesn't seem likely he would survive that.

It is worth to mention that even with a superior bag of money (two of the richest guys in Norway is from Molde and has had a habit of covering their overspending by the end of each season, in addition to building them a new fansy stadium some years ago) he was not one of the three nominees for Coach of the year over here the season before Man U came for him.

@Insignificance totally unrelated but I've seen a few norwegian interviews on Viasat conducted by Fjortoft and I wonder why I as a Swede understand what Solskjaer is saying while Fjortoft sounds like he's speaking a different language(than Norwegian obv).

Last edited:
Agent Solskjaer is doing a cracking job and needs our full support. If he keep up the trend of win one, lose one, win one, lose one, until the end of the season, that will surely seal their fate of him getting at least another year with him.

He better get his shit together, we don't want them bringing in Pochettino in the summer

@Insignificance totally unrelated but I've seen a few norwegian interviews on Viasat conducted by Fjortoft and I wonder why I as a Swede understand what Solskjaer is saying while Fjortoft sounds like he's speaking a different language(than Norwegian obv).

Interesting enough they are from the "North West coast" so they are branded neighbours from the same county. But where Fjørtoft is from a small Island out in the sea Solskjær is from mainland at the other end of the county. Norwegian dialects is very distinctive and if you got an ear for dialects it is pretty easy to spot the area a person comes from with quite good accuracy. That said, there are a lot of fjords separating the south of their county to the north, hence Ole and his fellow from north of the Møre belongs more together with Trondheim in dialects than Jan Åge and his fellows from South of Møre, which is an "isolated" area from old days with a lot of mountains and water around them. I also believe there is a distinct difference in personalities between those places if I am allowed to stereotype a little bit, with Jan Åge being an atypical person from that area. They are known to be more down to earth and almost darkminded. They are also extreme tight on the money, so if you have a business and looking for a CFO it might be a good thing to look for CV's from that area.

I only half-watched the first 45 minutes, but I was quite taken by how mesmerisingly awful Pereira was. I think he was hooked at half-time anyway, but it was easy to see why.

He's really weird, in that it seems like he's doing the right things, and has decent attributes - he works hard, is quite nippy, has those busy, quick feet that can be so useful in attacking positions - He's Brazilian!....but Christ alive, he's fucking useless.

He has zero brains, no idea of where to run, or be, or stand or anything. His control vacillates between competent and laughably atrocious; it can rebound off him like the ball's just been fired out of a cannon at a fucking climbing frame. His passing is all over the place like the proverbial mad woman's piss, and he flicks and backheels the ball to nobody at all.

And his shooting. Jesus wept.

I haven't seen a player that looks good but is so incredibly awful for a loooong time

I only half-watched the first 45 minutes, but I was quite taken by how mesmerisingly awful Pereira was. I think he was hooked at half-time anyway, but it was easy to see why.

He's really weird, in that it seems like he's doing the right things, and has decent attributes - he works hard, is quite nippy, has those busy, quick feet that can be so useful in attacking positions - He's Brazilian!....but Christ alive, he's fucking useless.

He has zero brains, no idea of where to run, or be, or stand or anything. His control vacillates between competent and laughably atrocious; it can rebound off him like the ball's just been fired out of a cannon at a fucking climbing frame. His passing is all over the place like the proverbial mad woman's piss, and he flicks and backheels the ball to nobody at all.

And his shooting. Jesus wept.

I haven't seen a player that looks good but is so incredibly awful for a loooong time

A lot of the Man U fans were crying out for him to be a starter after some promising friendlies in the summer, but I agree with you. He is not very good. Not even managing to utilize his strengths that you point out. Still I think Ole showed himself as the master tactician he is by removing one midfielder and loosing the pressure they had through the first half, and replacing him with a forward who didn't have the supplyline anymore. Hence the second half when needing desperately a goal was very tame. Not sure what their options were, but good managers manage to keep the balance in the team. I know supporters will allways scream out for another striker when things are not going well, but that is not neccesary the only joker in the deck of cards. Rafa showed in Istanbul that he was able to identify that we needed to controll midfield better if would have any chance of creating the opportunities needed.

The perils of appointing a club legend as manager.

Obviously there's plenty of examples where it has worked, but we've got enough examples of both extremes on our own to show that caution is required.

But Ole and United seemed to be a really obvious case of "No. Fucking. Way" because he had zero track record, the job was too huge and he got the job through a combination of desperation, accident, luck and misty-eyed emotion. Which is recipe for disaster.

You could argue that the job was also "too huge" for Souness, for example, but he seemed a great fit for many obvious reasons, had massive success at Rangers to help justify it, and most of us were excited.

The Scottish league at the time was of higher quality then it is now?

We appointed KD more on emotion than logic. His signings and system were the classic 2 wingers (downing) to cross in for a 2 strikers, the classic big man (Carroll) which was football from different era.
There is already noises we should be looking at Gerrard to replace Jk when he goes

Obviously there's plenty of examples where it has worked, but we've got enough examples of both extremes on our own to show that caution is required.

But Ole and United seemed to be a really obvious case of "No. Fucking. Way" because he had zero track record, the job was too huge and he got the job through a combination of desperation, accident, luck and misty-eyed emotion. Which is recipe for disaster.

You could argue that the job was also "too huge" for Souness, for example, but he seemed a great fit for many obvious reasons, had massive success at Rangers to help justify it, and most of us were excited.

Interesting enough they are from the "North West coast" so they are branded neighbours from the same county. But where Fjørtoft is from a small Island out in the sea Solskjær is from mainland at the other end of the county. Norwegian dialects is very distinctive and if you got an ear for dialects it is pretty easy to spot the area a person comes from with quite good accuracy. That said, there are a lot of fjords separating the south of their county to the north, hence Ole and his fellow from north of the Møre belongs more together with Trondheim in dialects than Jan Åge and his fellows from South of Møre, which is an "isolated" area from old days with a lot of mountains and water around them. I also believe there is a distinct difference in personalities between those places if I am allowed to stereotype a little bit, with Jan Åge being an atypical person from that area. They are known to be more down to earth and almost darkminded. They are also extreme tight on the money, so if you have a business and looking for a CFO it might be a good thing to look for CV's from that area.

As one being from Molde, the city in between those regions in the county, that is quite accurate.
OGS is not from the mainland though. Kristiansund is a city on islands, and the sea connects just as much as it separates people.

The Scottish league at the time was of higher quality then it is now?

We appointed KD more on emotion than logic. His signings and system were the classic 2 wingers (downing) to cross in for a 2 strikers, the classic big man (Carroll) which was football from different era.

No denying that at all, but when you've come out of the horrors of Gillette/ Hicks/ Hodgson, it's not massively surprising (and many of us did have valid concerns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom