• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our future captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

momoWASboss

If you take me seriously then you’re an idiot
Trent has signed a new long term deal.

[article]
Trent Alexander-Arnold has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The 22-year-old, a product of the club’s Academy, has committed his future to the Reds by putting pen to paper on the terms.

“I'm honoured to be given the opportunity and to be shown the trust in the club to be given an extension, so it was a no-brainer for me,” Alexander-Arnold told Liverpoolfc.com.

“The state the club is in and where I'm at in my career is always a good option for me. To extend and make sure I'm here longer is always a good thing. I'm made up.

“It's the only club I've ever really known, so to be here for this amount of time and extending to be here for a longer amount of time is amazing for me and my family.

“It's a proud moment for me – it always is – signing a new contract here. To be given the trust, like I said before, by the club and the staff is an amazing feeling.”

After making his senior debut for Liverpool in a League Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield in October 2016, Alexander-Arnold has gone on to make a total of 179 appearances for his boyhood club, firmly establishing himself as one of the finest young talents in the game.

In addition, he has netted 10 goals to date and claimed Premier League, Champions League, FIFA Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup winners’ medals.

“It’s not too often [I think about it] but I think I've achieved so much, I've achieved so many dreams and goals that I never actually thought I would,” he continued.

“I live the dream every day really. Being able to represent the club and to be in and around names and players, and obviously managers and staff, that are world class every day is a privilege for me and I'm very fortunate to be in the position I am.”
[/article]

Last edited:
Great news. A couple more announcements like this and we can top the salary chart!

I wonder if this means he is going to move into midfield?

After all Gerrard started at right back.

Come on Gerrard barely played a season at RB
Not even that, I'd say half a dozen games max. I'm just taking the piss out of the repetitive "we should play Trent in midfield" bollox that comes up on here all the time, especially when it comes with the Gerrard comparison

Great news. A couple more announcements like this and we can top the salary chart!
James Pearce

Liverpool hope getting Alexander-Arnold tied down until the summer of 2025 will be the first of many contract renewals which are agreed by sporting director Michael Edwards in the coming weeks and months.

Alisson, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Salah, Mane and Andy Robertson are among those in line for extensions.

The Athletic recently revealed how talks with captain Jordan Henderson, whose current deal runs until 2023, had failed to progress following initial discussions this summer.

Me neither but that's what the mouthpiece Pearce says
69839be81eb3b61d69c8e219b13b2b37.jpg

What does it mean be wage bracket though? £125k+ or £150k+

It seems a strange thing to report. Especially as we are used to hearing ball park figures.

I wonder if this means he is going to move into midfield?

After all Gerrard started at right back.

I don't think it's that outlandish. The Gerrard comparison is lazy, because he played there out of necessity to get him in the team and to cover a position we were struggling in, he played 13 games but did fill in at right back, right wing back and even left back over the coming years, because he could, because he was that good. He wasn't then moved because he couldn't defend, but because we knew he would have even more influence further up the pitch.

As for Trent, the midfield idea also stems from the notion of him having more influence higher up the pitch, it's not that mad. When we consider he hasn't particularly improved as a defender, it's something at least worth considering. Teams target his side with good reason, great player but an average defender, which is why for me it's always been a no-brainer, get the best out of him and free him of some defensive responsibility, while solidifying the backline with a more natural defender like Robbo, but on the right.

I don't think it's that outlandish. The Gerrard comparison is lazy, because he played there out of necessity to get him in the team and to cover a position we were struggling in, he played 13 games but did fill in at right back, right wing back and even left back over the coming years, because he could, because he was that good. He wasn't then moved because he couldn't defend, but because we knew he would have even more influence further up the pitch.

As for Trent, the midfield idea also stems from the notion of him having more influence higher up the pitch, it's not that mad. When we consider he hasn't particularly improved as a defender, it's something at least worth considering. Teams target his side with good reason, great player but an average defender, which is why for me it's always been a no-brainer, get the best out of him and free him of some defensive responsibility, while solidifying the backline with a more natural defender like Robbo, but on the right.

I think your second paragraph is a bit like the media narrative. Statistically, he’s on par with those “better” English right backs. He’s even surpassed Finnan in some stats in half the number of games.

Another reason teams attack our right is because van Dijk is on the left hand side. Going to our right gives you Gomez or Matip.

Don't really buy that TBH. They continued to do it last season when none of those guys were there for very long. It's also worth remembering that Trent was a MF for the youth teams and - like Stevie G, dare I say - initially played RB to get him into the first team picture. He's grown into the role brilliantly and I don't think there's any hurry at all to switch him, but I agree with mark that it's by no means out of the question further down the line.

Don't really buy that TBH. They continued to do it last season when none of those guys were there for very long. It's also worth remembering that Trent was a MF for the youth teams and - like Stevie G, dare I say - initially played RB to get him into the first team picture. He's grown into the role brilliantly and I don't think there's any hurry at all to switch him, but I agree with mark that it's by no means out of the question further down the line.
We’ve had teams attack our right for the past 3 seasons. Probably due to the unit we have that side. Matip/Gomez/Lovren and Salah aren’t going to as difficult to attack as van Dijk and Mané. I think Wijnaldum also helped us more in the left than the right.

"Bracket" doesn't mean he's getting the same wages as Salah, VD and the rest.

"Bracket" doesn't mean he's getting the same wages as Salah, VD and the rest.
I think it does.

All the other players listed in the quote from Pearce (Salah, v Dijk, Firmino) are rumoured to be on 180k so it's hard to see how Trent isn't on that from this news.

Which sounds crazy to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom