• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our Rivals' summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean the squad has stagnated because it's the same as last year, aside from a couple of extra teenagers.

I take your point, but Gomez, Lallana, Keita, Ox all back and firing on all cylinders takes the edge off. I think our squad looks mental.
Two best full backs in the league. Three world class CBs and a top quality fourth. Best keeper in the world. Decent back up keeper.
Ridiculous depth in midfield with Hendo, Milner, Fab, Gini, Shaq, Ox, Keita, Lallana and prob someone else I've forgotten.
Best front three in the world as a collective unit and ORIGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A load of exciting young uns.
WE'RE FUCKING MINT

I take your point, but Gomez, Lallana, Keita, Ox all back and firing on all cylinders takes the edge off. I think our squad looks mental.
Two best full backs in the league. Three world class CBs and a top quality fourth. Best keeper in the world. Decent back up keeper.
Ridiculous depth in midfield with Hendo, Milner, Fab, Gini, Shaq, Ox, Keita, Lallana and prob someone else I've forgotten.
Best front three in the world as a collective unit and ORIGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A load of exciting young uns.
WE'RE FUCKING MINT

A lot of this post is bilge.

Arsenal:
Tierney - potential class LB, problem position for them last year
Luiz - meh
Pepe - could make their attacking unit as deadly as ours or city.
Ceballos - loan

City:
Rodri - Fernandinho's replacement
Canelo

Manure:
Bissaka - potential class RB, problem position for them last year.
Maguire - solid CB worst case scenario, problem position for them last year.

Spurs:
Ndombele - class MF
Lo Celso - good AM (Eriksen replacement?)
Sessegnon - Bale MK II?

Chelsea:
Pulisic
Lampard - a young manger who will give their talented yoofs a go

These teams, bar maybe Chelsea, have got much better - and we've not even mentioned Wolves & Everton, who've also improved drastically imo.

Going to be a really tough season ...

I think we NEED the league to be tougher to have a chance of beating City. We'll lose more points I think, but there's more chance of them losing points too. When we shake it up, we could well benefit.

I might be completely wrong about this but in recent times I always get the impression that we have to work harder for our wins on the whole. We need to run more, want it more... have more togetherness. Even prior to Klopp's arrival.

It's a type of football that resonates with the fans and creates some pretty great memories but it's also hard to sustain. If we do want to be able to dial it down a bit and rely on quality alone... we're lacking... this season more than previous ones for all the reasons already mentioned.

People have gone on about increased contributions from the likes of Keita and Ox but that will only be enough if they properly level up.

Just seen that officially Cancelo went to City for £60m. (Danilo went the other way for £30m).

How many hundreds of millions have they spent on full backs alone!?

I might be completely wrong about this but in recent times I always get the impression that we have to work harder for our wins on the whole. We need to run more, want it more... have more togetherness. Even prior to Klopp's arrival.

It's a type of football that resonates with the fans and creates some pretty great memories but it's also hard to sustain. If we do want to be able to dial it down a bit and rely on quality alone... we're lacking... this season more than previous ones for all the reasons already mentioned.

People have gone on about increased contributions from the likes of Keita and Ox but that will only be enough if they properly level up.

Compared to which team though?

If you're talking about City then that's probably true but I don't think it's true compared to, say, Spurs who are the next best after us.

Yes, Keita and AOC do need to level up if they are to contribute fully but I think that kind of applies to the other teams new signings too. They've got it all to prove at this moment.

from what i understood in Trent's article

Obviously, as incredible as that night was, that wasn’t our final goal. We had experienced the heartbreak of losing the final in Kiev the year before, and we learned a lot. We’d been taught a hard lesson about how to win a final. Madrid knew exactly what they were doing. There was no luck involved. Especially after they scored the third goal — we just couldn’t get the ball off them. It was clinical. It was frustrating. It was heartbreaking. But I think it was also a bit of a blessing in disguise. Throughout last season, we did to teams what Madrid had done to us. We closed out matches, won the one-nils and two-nils. We learned from them.

it sounds like we played more controlled games, less huffs and puffs, so, less 4-3 wins, more 1-0s. hence, an obvious lack of heavy metal football last season.

Cheaper than Zaha I guess.
Shitter too.

And some people were raving about Everton's signings this summer. If they sign that numbnut Rojo as well then give them a trophy for the best transfer window by a club ever.

This 100%. Last season, even though we won so many games, it always feels like city win easier while we have to work our bollox off to the max. Its been like that for years even under GH and Rafa. Never an easy victory for us. Having said that City worked hard for those games at the end of the season, but you never thought they would lose those games because they dominate possession and the entire team is parked inside the oppposition half.

I think we can.

Alright we haven't bought anyone. We are the same team as last year, who were good enough to win a European Cup. So thats OK with me, even though I would have liked to see another attacking option. I think we are massively gambling on Mane and Salah staying fit for the whole season. When those two arent there, the quality drop off is evident.

But I don't think City have improved either. I dont know anything about the CM they bought. Fernandinho is a year older and his legs are on the way out. Same with Aguero, he looked like he was on a downturn last year, he's not the player he was. And Kompany has gone. The only plus for them is that De Bruyne is fit again (but for how long).

I do think we have to worry about Spurs though. They have bought well and were a pretty good team last season already. They wont be 26 points behind us this year. They are a danger.

Agree with pretty much all of this, my main comfort with the squad comes from how settled it feels, I'd expect us to come flying out of the blocks this year. I'm also comforted by Keita and Fabinho being ready to hit the ground running, and Ox being back. Conversely a lot relys on Salah, Firmino and Manes fitness, as well as the ability of Origi, Shaqiri and Brewster to step into their shoes.

Re Spurs, they're clearly much stronger, although I am expecting a big departure, probably Eriksen, before the end of the season. I think they'll get a clear third again, and improve on last season, I don't think the quality of their starting eleven is close enough to ours and City's though.

City, I have to say I think they've regressed, they've lost Sane and Kompany, they intend to start the season with Zinchenko, and Silva, Aguero and Fernandinho are all a year older and starting to creak. I'm also really unimpressed with Rodrigo, he was poor against us, I reckon he'll be a liability for City this season.

Those three teams are the only ones to take seriously IMO.

Everyone waxing hysterical and harping on about rivals strengthening their squads whilst we did didly squat.

Some of you guys are missing the point.

With the exception of city I think we have the next best squad. We were never gonna buy a left back and put him on stupid money like City did just for competition with Roberts. Likewise at rightback, the only question marks we have is that our midfield could be better but Ox has had a full pre season, Fabinho is settled and I expect Keita to get up to speed now he's had his first season and play the all action football like he did in Germany. Add to the mix Hendo Shah, Gini.

Up front no one is gonna come here whilst we still have those three and if we throw stupid money at them to sit on the bench. Realistically it just isn't going to happen. I like what I've seen of Brewster so far and if Origi is played through the middle I think he will score more goals.

Now about our competitors.

Spurs: are you telling me you'd rather their goalkeeper and defence over ours? Go on man for man their defence and keeper.

Lloris - gotta a fuckup in him most seasons
Alderweirald and Vertonghen over Matip, VVD and Gomez?
Their fullbacks over ours? Granted they got rid of Trippier who was muck but they've not replaced him with anyone better.

Arsenal: still question marks over their keeper and despite having a shit defence last season have decided it's better to sell their one and only decent centre back, keep Mustaphi and buy that clown from Chelsea in David Luiz.

More questions about their midfield, they lost Ramsey, Ozil is finished.

Granted they'll score a shit load of goals but they'll concede just as many like Newcastle on Keegan circa 1995

Chelsea: transfer ban so not bought anyone except Pulisic from the Jan window. Can he cut it in the league?

Hazard their star player gone.

Defence is still questionable especially central anyway.

New manager in Lampard too so expect him to lose a load of games whilst he gets used to his first big job in management.

Utd:

Have kid of solved some of their defence frailties getting Maguire and Binsaka however Shaw/Young are still gash and with Solskjaer supposedly wanting his defence to play a high line. Maguire has the speed of the Titanic. He's not even had a full pre season with his new club or team mates.

Usual midfield issues with pogbas head a miss. Jesse I just wanna sell loads of clothes and practice stupid celebrations Lingard.

Up top they've let that Donkey Lukaku go and not replaced with him anyone. Sanchez is shot.

Telling you, Solskjaer is in serious trouble with that squad. A few defeats and the fans will be on his back.

Everton: no comment it's Everton. Every year they think they've won the transfer window.

And that is why I'm pretty happy with the squad we have. No star player pissing off for a big fee and us scambling like dickheads to replace him.

I think this is why for the first time I'm confident we can do it. You look at the times we came second under Houllier or Rafa we also seemed to lose key players and piss away the following season, this year I'm certain Klopp will extract even more out of them to enable us to reach the promised land.

from what i understood in Trent's article

it sounds like we played more controlled games, less huffs and puffs, so, less 4-3 wins, more 1-0s. hence, an obvious lack of heavy metal football last season.

Yeah we did but a) we had a few games go right to the wire and I wouldn’t like to rely on heroics and b) summer schedule for our best players was crazy.

As said, we need the other guys to step up and become match winners in their own right.

It is difficult to complain about our transfers given that they have gotten so much right the past few years. But I feel that not buying anyone to serve as a substitute for our front three is an unnecessary gamble.

There is always going to be a drop off when one of the front three is injured or tired but this was the right window to go for that extra bit of quality on the bench. We have the right mix now to win the title - top quality from front to back and in goal, the mentality, nice mix of quality and experience. Some one like Coutinho to help us out over the December January phase where we are going to feel the tiredness would have helped.

Sane could be a big miss for them with ACL injury. he didn't start much last season, but scored a few coming off bench. He's massive threat. Still think they should have signed CB, no real leader in that back line with stones et al..talk of fernandinho playing cb.

Last edited:
47 games, 16 goals and 18 assists last season. Yeah, they’ll definetly miss him.
They’ll also miss that unpredictable and loads of pace playing style. Not much pace bar Sterling and Jesus now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom