• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Paying the penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet
Honorary Member
Sam McGuire

We haven't has a penalty this season since the Spurs game at the end of October apparently.
Var was supposed to rectify poor decisions by the ref yet it seems to rarely over rule a penalty decision. Coupled with a seeming reluctance to award our players penalties in the first place this means that we are probably not getting the amount of penalties we should.
Are refs listening too much to social media and football pundits with an anti Liverpool bias and if they are is there anything we can do about it?

There have been so many situations were You’d think the VAR would intervene, but just stayed quiet. Very strange.

Utd were awarded 14 penalties, which is just mind boggeling.

There have been so many situations were You’d think the VAR would intervene, but just stayed quiet. Very strange.

@SamMcGuire90

For a little more context, United had two players in the top 25 for this metric, yet were awarded 14 penalties.

VAR has been crowned Manchester UTD’s Player of the Year, following in the footsteps of luminaries such as Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo. The sentient technology awarded UTD a league record 14 penalties this season.

“I’m delighted for Varsy,” Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told Soccer on Sunday. “Obviously Bruno’s arrived in January and been outstanding, the front three have been different class — but Varsy just showed that consistency. I’m made up for him and his parents, who I believe are a toaster and a microwave oven.”
“Varsy can still improve,” said the former striker. “That’s the scary part. 14 penos this season, but who knows? Maybe a peno per-game next season? So long as he stays humble and doesn’t let it go to his motherboard.”
“Varsy has all the tools to kick-on now,” added Solskjaer. “Specifically, a spanner and a Phillips head screwdriver.”

I think this is skewed horribly by the ridiculously brilliant close control all three of our first choice strikers have

We're definitely getting the short straw. Sterling got a peno against gomez. Possibly fair, but a pretty cheap. Contrast with Salah getting blocked off I think against Chelsea over and over again. No pen, no review. Crap.

And while we're at it, outside the box our players stand really strong under massive physical pressure from behind and rarely go down.

When the positions are reversed we hit the player less hard, they go down and bang, it's a foul.

Sometimes I think we're guilty of playing through fouls. Mane in particular. It's a trait I admire but it occasionally costs us.

We're definitely getting the short straw. Sterling got a peno against gomez. Possibly fair, but a pretty cheap. Contrast with Salah getting blocked off I think against Chelsea over and over again. No pen, no review. Crap.
That Sterling pen against Gomez bugs me. Sterling was literally pulling Gomez's shirt for about 3 seconds, before Gomez decided to return the favour, at which point Sterling collapsed and was awarded a penalty. Ridiculous inconsistency. No lose situation for an attacker in that scenario.

I think it is a case of them not wanting to correct refereeing decisions, despite it being there to help referees out. If they get a decision wrong then VAR should step in every time, that is definitely not currently happening.

The other issue is that there are clear incidents which VAR are getting wrong.

I said at the start of the season, that a big issue is this unwillingness to admit a refereeing mistake which, I believe, has led VAR to be not much more than a glorified offside & occasional handball machine. If everyone accepts that referees can & do make mistakes, and there is no shame in that, and allow VAR to intervene when that happens then it will be much better.

At the moment it the attitude amongst referees seems to be one of never admitting a mistake as that is perceived to be a sign of weakness ... which is f'kin mad

I said at the start of the season, that a big issue is this unwillingness to admit a refereeing mistake which, I believe, has led VAR to be not much more than a glorified offside & occasional handball machine. If everyone accepts that referees can & do make mistakes, and there is no shame in that, and allow VAR to intervene when that happens then it will be much better.

At the moment it the attitude amongst referees seems to be one of never admitting a mistake as that is perceived to be a sign of weakness ... which is f'kin mad
And IMO that comes down to allowing the ref. to correct his own error or omission, by simply stating that "Fred, you need to take a look at X on the pitchside monitor".

Reactions: dee
And IMO that comes down to allowing the ref. to correct his own error or omission, by simply stating that "Fred, you need to take a look at X on the pitchside monitor".
I fear some of the prima donnas would still fail to overturn their own decision, fearing it would be seen as a sign of weakness

Is anyone gonna demand the blood of a referee who makes a mistake if they're called out for it by VAR? This is a problem all of their own doing. They're making an absolute mess of it. Nobody is expecting them to be perfect, and nobody is going to have a go at them for fucking up as long as it's overturned. It's literally the referees being weird little bum sniffers.

Sam McGuire

We haven't has a penalty this season since the Spurs game at the end of October apparently.
Var was supposed to rectify poor decisions by the ref yet it seems to rarely over rule a penalty decision. Coupled with a seeming reluctance to award our players penalties in the first place this means that we are probably not getting the amount of penalties we should.
Are refs listening too much to social media and football pundits with an anti Liverpool bias and if they are is there anything we can do about it?

We had one against Leicester in December that Milner scored. Cant remember any since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom