• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poor the Emre..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bless his cotton socks.

Juventus will have a problem moving these players on. Free agents are great until they don't work out and you have to subsidise their wages for years.

I don't count 8-10 years ago as "recently.." - and that's Masher, Torres, Arsebeloa, and ZAAAAAAAAABIIII

Anectdotally, it feels like Klopp's stars at BD didn't perform as well after leaving, as when they were with him. There might be one or two that did, but he seems to get the best out of people

I think only Lewandowski, Hummels and Gundogan to an extent did well after leaving - and all 3 benefited from working with another great coach in Guardiola. A lot more players failed to recapture their level after Klopp: Gotze, Kagawa, Şahin, Perisic, Coutinho etc

I think only Lewandowski, Hummels and Gundogan to an extent did well after leaving - and all 3 benefited from working with another great coach in Guardiola. A lot more players failed to recapture their level after Klopp: Gotze, Kagawa, Şahin, Perisic, Coutinho etc
Klopp didnt sell neither of the three you mentioned

Perisic did quite well, probably the only player who did well after leaving Klopp.
Oh Zidan was sold by Klopp and then brought back during his Dortmund days.

Yeah Mascherano and Alonso. I wouldn't include Torres. He won stuff, yes, but he sold the adoration he had here and his personal performance. Depends what you'd rather have. Trophies and be a bit-part, average player, or be adored and one of the best players in the world.

It's strange to note that Torres actually played more games for Chelsea than he ever did Liverpool.

I know we all enjoyed watching that team with the likes of Alonso, Masha, and Torres - but lets not forget something ... they won fuck all playing together. I get fed up these days when we keep going on about that great midfield and great forward line with Torres, and SG banging them in - but ultimately we won nothing.

People keep discussing Can being the better athlete compared to the likes of Khedira.

This has nothing to do with atheltic ability - the reason he is not selected is due to his lack of tactical awareness.

In Italy, that trait is perhaps the most important - and especially for a manager like Sarri.

Sarri has always favoured tactically smart players over atheltic players.

Higuain the fat bastard is one great example - he understood the tactics at Napoli and banged in goals galore as a result. It's why he's exceeds in Italy but struggled in England where you struggle if your not up to it physically.

Jorginho & Allan also both ran the midfield.

People keep discussing Can being the better athlete compared to the likes of Khedira.

This has nothing to do with atheltic ability - the reason he is not selected is due to his lack of tactical awareness.

In Italy, that trait is perhaps the most important - and especially for a manager like Sarri.

Sarri has always favoured tactically smart players over atheltic players.

Higuain the fat bastard is one great example - he understood the tactics at Napoli and banged in goals galore as a result. It's why he's exceeds in Italy but struggled in England where you struggle if your not up to it physically.

Jorginho & Allan also both ran the midfield.

Yeah, I don’t think Can is thick, but he always had a trait of doing mostly what he wants, regardless of what the manager tells him to do. That trait definitely doesn’t go well with someone like Sarri.

Yeah, I don’t think Can is thick, but he always had a trait of doing mostly what he wants, regardless of what the manager tells him to do. That trait definitely doesn’t go well with someone like Sarri.

Yep, agree, he's got it in him to be the player he should be.

But he has brain fades and steps outside his tactical role too often.

It's very simliar to the problem with Lovren - has all the necessary traits to be a class defender, but loses focus in critical moments.

I know we all enjoyed watching that team with the likes of Alonso, Masha, and Torres - but lets not forget something ... they won fuck all playing together. I get fed up these days when we keep going on about that great midfield and great forward line with Torres, and SG banging them in - but ultimately we won nothing.

Well, yeah, but on the other hand are you saying that Players like Mascherano, Torres and Alonso wouldn't get into THIS Liverpool team?

Can is weird. I mean I thought he was capable of being one of the best central midfielders in the world, but then again I've more or less forgotten everything he did here. If I hadn't seen this topic I'd have forgotten he existed. Albert Riera left a more lasting impression.

Can is weird. I mean I thought he was capable of being one of the best central midfielders in the world, but then again I've more or less forgotten everything he did here. If I hadn't seen this topic I'd have forgotten he existed. Albert Riera left a more lasting impression.
I used to like Can while he was here, even though he sometimes promised more than he delivered. But you're right, I've totally forgotten about him. I think that's just testament to how good Fabinho has been in that DM role.

I used to like Can while he was here, even though he sometimes promised more than he delivered. But you're right, I've totally forgotten about him. I think that's just testament to how good Fabinho has been in that DM role.
Can wasn't disciplined enough to play in that role. Performances were very up and down.
Anyway...I wonder, would a midfield 3 of Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard work in the current Klopp system.
Mascherano would, not sure about Alonso and Gerrard. Not really 90 minute chasers them two...imo.

Gerrard could play in any system and was brilliant no matter what he was asked to do, whether it was in defence, on the wing, up front or in midfield. He'd have been boss in a klopp side

Some fucking mong will doubtless quack on about "discipline" and "tactical awareness" and conclude that one of the greatest players to ever play for Liverpool, might have struggled to get into a Klopp side that has featured midfield players like Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana and Henderson

As everyone is no doubt sick of hearing, I don't like Gerrard as a person that much. But fucking hell, what a player. If you were gonna design one on one of your new fangled computer games you couldn't do any better. He had the lot.

The only thing I'm doubting is the constant pressing. Gerrard would definitely get into the team, no doubt. I'm talking suitability in the same way Owen would get into Rafa's team but possibly not best suited to play alone upfront.
Also regarding tactical awareness, am I completely wrong in thinking that Rafa shifting Gerrard to the right or giving a free role in midfield was due to his tactical awareness not being up to Benitez standard? And Gerrard playing the DM role during your namesakes stint as manager, wasn't exactly his best position, was it?

As per that other thread I forgot he even scored goal of the season!

We would have won the league last season if we had gerrard in his prime. I'm guessing klopp would put him in the same role he uses for keita or ox as a attacking midfielder and he would have scored double figures definitely. Klopp would be begging to have a player like gerrard now. City have one and his name is De Bruyne.

We would have won the league last season if we had gerrard in his prime. I'm guessing klopp would put him in the same role he uses for keita or ox as a attacking midfielder and he would have scored double figures definitely. Klopp would be begging to have a player like gerrard now. City have one and his name is De Bruyne.
Yes but City use a different system. They don't play with a false 9. Also wouldn't Firmino and Gerrard get in each others way if Gerrard plays that role behind the striker like he did with Torres?

I always get to thinking about his pillow cases. How would you wash them, or do you think he buys new ones every week?

Rumour has it Rambo buys them for his missions

FirstBloodRambo_2087Pyxurz.jpg

102 league games for Liverpool
110 for Chelsea

142 all comps for Liverpool
172 for Chelsea

Significantly less goals at Chelsea, of course.

I think if the alternative was staying with us and not winning the league and CL and Europa League he’d still choose the path he took. He got the best of both worlds. Got to be an idol for a big club, got to play for his home town club and got to win every major honour in the game

Tish - who'd you drop for Torres ? And I think Fabs is one of the best I've ever seen.

This concept of people having different opinions now - problematic ?

There is a scale of opinions from entirely subjective (ketchup is shit) to entirely objective (three is a prime number). The opinion that Torres was a better player than Firmino is just a shade below the latter and million miles from the former. It is problematic when people use ketchup thinking to justify their right to hold ridiculous opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom