• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match - Red Star (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No comment, no chat, no overview. Just RAAAAAAATTTIIIINNNNGSSS!

(We were fucking shite)

Allison (4) He should be doing much better with their second goal and made some bewildering passes.

TAA (3) Another laboured display; poor touch, defensively nervous, sluggish going forward. Abysmal and rightfully pulled off at half-time. It's reasonable to expect some poor displays in his embryonic career, but he needs pulling out of the team.

Matip (4) 50p-headed twat was his usual average self. No presence or authority on show, and shouldn't be in the team.

Virgil (5) Easy to blame his CB partner, but he was a bit sloppy and lacked his usual effortless calm. Culpable for the first goal, when easily beaten in the air.

Robertson (6) Not at his best here, but did better than most. Attacked with determination, but wasteful in possession. Had one or two decent crosses, but should have done more with the ball after the break, as Red Star sat back.

Wijnaldum (3) Horrible shithouse display. Showed nothing as Red Star pressed forward and was totally overrun. The sort of neat and tidy player who does well when we're on top, but plays exactly the same way when we aren't.

Milner (4) He never shirks, but he was heavy-legged, poor in possession and devoid of inspiration and quality. His worst display of the season

Lallana (4) Almost entirely ineffective, he showed a few little flashes of quality, but he's no longer good enough, looks even slower than before his injuries and should be sold.

Mane (5) Oscillated between looking our best player and then seeming as if he had never played football before. Some of his touches were wince-inducing, as he wasted some promising opportunities after his pace and close control got him space and time.

Salah (5) Had one shot hit the outside of the post, and drew a decent save in the second half, but was largely ineffective and couldn't get any space to work in. Struggled.

Sturridge (3) Wandered about without much effort or conviction and wasted a glorious chance. Hooked after a half of football he will want to forget. Pathetic.

Subs: Can't be arsed. All shit.

If there was serious concern about safety, I would fully support it.
However, from what I read - and please correct me if I'm wrong - it was about 'distraction' that his presence would cause ... If that meant 'safety', I take back my criticism.

I do know that the local hacks, when they came to Anfield, made a point of meeting the Liverpool ones to tell them the issue was way, way, more serious than they seemed to think, and left them all in no doubt that the club should be concerned. In fact the Echo hacks were left quite shaken by what they were told.

Fuck me, this thread is as bad as that brexit, the sky is falling in, thread.

Unbeaten in the league.
2pts off top of the league.
As it stands, a good chance to qualify for the last 16 of the champions league.
A team with Alisson, VVD, Robertson, Gomez, Mane, Salah in it.
Played Chelski, City, Arse, Spurs all in the league - unbeaten.
A player in our team that scored 44 goals last year.

We lose a single game that we should have won, just one, whilst playing some of the reserves, and that's it we're fucked, the world is ending.

Merge this with the brexit thread.

Unbeaten in the league.

We lose a single game that we should have won, just one, whilst playing some of the reserves, and that's it we're fucked, the world is ending.

Ha - you've made me smile in a good way. Thank you.
I hope I can return to this way of thinking after Salah & Firmino hat trick on Sunday in a 8-0 win over Fulham.

I do know that the local hacks, when they came to Anfield, made a point of meeting the Liverpool ones to tell them the issue was way, way, more serious than they seemed to think, and left them all in no doubt that the club should be concerned. In fact the Echo hacks were left quite shaken by what they were told.

Yikes.

Unbeaten in the league.

We've got Everton and the mancs coming up soon, and unless we suddenly find our best form we could be six points down and out of the top four, so that increasingly frail protestation that we're still at the/near the top of the league is barely persuasive any more.

According to the stats, our midfield three didn't complete a single tackle all match yesterday, and only made six interceptions. Only Gomez, TAA, Matip and Robertson won a tackle.

Unbeaten in the league.

People are entitled to see it for what it is and be disappointed. It was a shocking performance. We have been mostly below par to ok this season. The exceptions being home to West Ham and maybe an hour in each of the games against Spurs and PSG.

Why 2 clear goals ? On head to heads it's aggregate that counts. So whatever happens away in Paris if we win at home to Napoli we're through whatever the scoreline.

I think you are wrong.

We get beat in Paris and they beat Red Star.

What if we beat them 2-1 at home? Both on 9 points and then it goes to head to head.

Dont they go through on away goals? 1-0 at their place and 2-1 at ours. So we would have to beat them either 1-0 to force extra time, or by 2 goals.

Or does it go on Goal Diff after the head to head (we beat them 1-0 so both results between us and Napoli the same) ? In which case, with us beat in Paris and they beat Red Star, our GD would be worse, and we would have to beat them by two goals anyway to win on the head to head.

We've not lost a game whilst playing below par to ok in the league, whilst playing chelski, city, arse and spurs. I'm more than happy with that, knowing that the odds are that sooner or later we'll play well for a bit. If we don't lose when we're playing below par to ok, then I'm sure it will all work out fine. We used to win the league doing that. Unfortunately there's 2 other teams doing the same this season by unlucky chance.

Unbeaten in the league.

Faith restored - thanks mate

In fact, faith has been resorted to the extent that I now feel up to posting TAW's answer to Brendan:

Red Star Belgrade 2 Liverpool 0: Match Ratings

by Ben Johnson | Nov 6, 2018 | 9 comments

WE could have played till the fucking cows — those famous, wondering cows who fucked off years ago and have been having the time of their lives, eating grass and fucking lying down — come home.
Sometimes things don’t fall for you, sometimes things don’t go your way, but fucking hell that was pretty shite. It’s just one game though isn’t it, except it’s two defeats out of two away in the Champions League against a decent side and a fucking Championship-standard one, and in the broadest of broad strokes that’s a worry.
Our inability to pass the ball to our own players is a worry. Our lack of any control in midfield whatsoever is a worry. Our ability to nullify our own most dangerous players is a worry. It’s a bit of a worry.
Or alternatively, it just makes the last few games more interesting. Lets wait and see, eh?
Alisson: 6
Had nothing to do apart from watch the first one in and watch the second one fly past him. Could he have done more with their second? Probably, I reckon. He didn’t half fucking belt it like, but still.
Trent: 5
Silly backheel first half that went out for a goalkick lost him a point. Might have given it away every time he had it which isn’t ideal, in fairness. Seems counter intuitive to take him off when we are getting beat but then in fairness he was pretty shite, so you know.
Joel Matip: 6
Made a couple of good interceptions there in the first few minutes, especially the one where Rory Delap popped up with a Serbian wig on and launched it over the Black Sea. How’s he missing that header though, lad?
Virgil: 6
Shite header in the passage that led to them scoring. Couldn’t do much about either goal, in fairness.
Andy Robbo: 7
Par, probably the only one who was.
James Milner: 5
Gives it way in the buildup to the second. That said, their fella is 50 yards out when that happens. Done what Gini should have done when Sturridge gave it away at 2-0. Worked hard but part of a midfield three that offered not a great deal aside from the ball to the other team.
Gini: 5
Weak as a kitten in the first half an hour and frankly shite for their second. Gets rolled to easy, wrong side too easy, gives up too easily. If a fella with the ball is attacking your centre halves and you have the opportunity to fucking boot him, fucking boot him and we will talk about your options later. Part of a midfield three that offers not a great deal aside from an easy passage to our centre halves.
Adam Lallana: 5
Was just looking for him, as in literally looking to see if he was there when he won the ball back twice in a minute and set up Mane for the big Sturridge chance. Shite for the goal, wasn’t he? Isn’t it his job to block the first runner? Fucking hell, he was like them ribbons your nan used to have hanging from the back-door frame. What the fuck were they about?
Unlucky with the header that their lad knew nothing about. Tried to get in the half spaces all second half but with no joy whatsoever. Part of a midfield three that offered not a great deal all fucking night long. Is it their fault or are they just a manifestation of the team’s wider struggles?
Mo Salah: 6
Kicked a corner straight out second half and I nearly blew my neck up trying not to scream in the house. Like trying to contain a sneeze. Lost the ability to pass to anyone but that effort against the post was unlucky there, you know. Needs some help.
Sadio Mane: 6
Does brilliant down the left a few times to open them up, particularly for the Sturridge chance. Got moved to the right second half and was nowhere near as effective. Worked back well, though. That said, all of our players, when trying to play the ball forward seem to think that the laws of physics don’t apply.
Yer, yer, I’ll just pass this through this obstacle, what do you call it, this human body. Fairly sure it will just appear on the other side of it exactly where I want it, like walking through a fucking waterfall. No, no, you see Isaac Newton’s three laws of physics, yer, means I can pass it through this physical object with sufficient force that it will just ghost right through him. Something to do with the third rule, lad. Lad, anyway, fucking shut up. Who the fuck do you think I am, anyway? Fucking Brian Cox, the D:Ream twat. Things didn’t get better, did they lad? They got well fucking worse.
Dan Sturridge: 5
Missed an absolute sitter after 15 and then showed great movement to get in and ludicrous decision making not to pull it back to Lallana on the edge of the box. Then again, 10 minutes later, brilliant technique, and fucking shite decision making to ignore Trent and shank a shot on his weaker foot. Daft and then dragged. Missed him second half mind you, especially when you are bringing on Divock Origi with 10 to go.
SUBS
Joe Gomez:

Did alright
Firmino: 5
Did great for about five minutes and then they got to grips with our shape and then he played centre mid which was a massive waste of everyone’s time.
Divock: 5
Did great to beat his man and then let it go out, like Mignolet’s Braveheart “hold” effort at Burnley.
NON SUBS
Degsi:

Honest to God, needs some fucking antibac gel. Like in the hospital.
He who shall not be named: 9

We've not lost a game whilst playing below par to ok in the league, whilst playing chelski, city, arse and spurs. I'm more than happy with that, knowing that the odds are that sooner or later we'll play well for a bit. .

But it's not about odds. It's not as if we're playing well but being unlucky, or creating loads of chances but missing most of them. Then it might make sense to say the odds are the luck will change. But when the pattern of play is consistently substandard, the midfield (multiple versions of which) is poor, and two out of three strikers look painfully out of sorts, it's no good just saying 'the odds are' that'll all change. We can hope that the tactics change, and the team choices improve, and the form improves, but there's no palpable evidence of this in what we've seen so far. This, so far, looks like a team that at best can keep a clean sheet and hang on to a goal lead, and at worst goes behind and can't recover. The odds are that will be it unless serious changes are made.

In fact, faith has been resorted to the extent that I now feel up to posting TAW's answer to Brendan:

Red Star Belgrade 2 Liverpool 0: Match Ratings

by Ben Johnson | Nov 6, 2018 | 9 comments

WE could have played till the fucking cows — those famous, wondering cows who fucked off years ago and have been having the time of their lives, eating grass and fucking lying down — come home.
Sometimes things don’t fall for you, sometimes things don’t go your way, but fucking hell that was pretty shite. It’s just one game though isn’t it, except it’s two defeats out of two away in the Champions League against a decent side and a fucking Championship-standard one, and in the broadest of broad strokes that’s a worry.
Our inability to pass the ball to our own players is a worry. Our lack of any control in midfield whatsoever is a worry. Our ability to nullify our own most dangerous players is a worry. It’s a bit of a worry.
Or alternatively, it just makes the last few games more interesting. Lets wait and see, eh?
Alisson: 6
Had nothing to do apart from watch the first one in and watch the second one fly past him. Could he have done more with their second? Probably, I reckon. He didn’t half fucking belt it like, but still.
Trent: 5
Silly backheel first half that went out for a goalkick lost him a point. Might have given it away every time he had it which isn’t ideal, in fairness. Seems counter intuitive to take him off when we are getting beat but then in fairness he was pretty shite, so you know.
Joel Matip: 6
Made a couple of good interceptions there in the first few minutes, especially the one where Rory Delap popped up with a Serbian wig on and launched it over the Black Sea. How’s he missing that header though, lad?
Virgil: 6
Shite header in the passage that led to them scoring. Couldn’t do much about either goal, in fairness.
Andy Robbo: 7
Par, probably the only one who was.
James Milner: 5
Gives it way in the buildup to the second. That said, their fella is 50 yards out when that happens. Done what Gini should have done when Sturridge gave it away at 2-0. Worked hard but part of a midfield three that offered not a great deal aside from the ball to the other team.
Gini: 5
Weak as a kitten in the first half an hour and frankly shite for their second. Gets rolled to easy, wrong side too easy, gives up too easily. If a fella with the ball is attacking your centre halves and you have the opportunity to fucking boot him, fucking boot him and we will talk about your options later. Part of a midfield three that offers not a great deal aside from an easy passage to our centre halves.
Adam Lallana: 5
Was just looking for him, as in literally looking to see if he was there when he won the ball back twice in a minute and set up Mane for the big Sturridge chance. Shite for the goal, wasn’t he? Isn’t it his job to block the first runner? Fucking hell, he was like them ribbons your nan used to have hanging from the back-door frame. What the fuck were they about?
Unlucky with the header that their lad knew nothing about. Tried to get in the half spaces all second half but with no joy whatsoever. Part of a midfield three that offered not a great deal all fucking night long. Is it their fault or are they just a manifestation of the team’s wider struggles?
Mo Salah: 6
Kicked a corner straight out second half and I nearly blew my neck up trying not to scream in the house. Like trying to contain a sneeze. Lost the ability to pass to anyone but that effort against the post was unlucky there, you know. Needs some help.
Sadio Mane: 6
Does brilliant down the left a few times to open them up, particularly for the Sturridge chance. Got moved to the right second half and was nowhere near as effective. Worked back well, though. That said, all of our players, when trying to play the ball forward seem to think that the laws of physics don’t apply.
Yer, yer, I’ll just pass this through this obstacle, what do you call it, this human body. Fairly sure it will just appear on the other side of it exactly where I want it, like walking through a fucking waterfall. No, no, you see Isaac Newton’s three laws of physics, yer, means I can pass it through this physical object with sufficient force that it will just ghost right through him. Something to do with the third rule, lad. Lad, anyway, fucking shut up. Who the fuck do you think I am, anyway? Fucking Brian Cox, the D:Ream twat. Things didn’t get better, did they lad? They got well fucking worse.
Dan Sturridge: 5
Missed an absolute sitter after 15 and then showed great movement to get in and ludicrous decision making not to pull it back to Lallana on the edge of the box. Then again, 10 minutes later, brilliant technique, and fucking shite decision making to ignore Trent and shank a shot on his weaker foot. Daft and then dragged. Missed him second half mind you, especially when you are bringing on Divock Origi with 10 to go.
SUBS
Joe Gomez:

Did alright
Firmino: 5
Did great for about five minutes and then they got to grips with our shape and then he played centre mid which was a massive waste of everyone’s time.
Divock: 5
Did great to beat his man and then let it go out, like Mignolet’s Braveheart “hold” effort at Burnley.
NON SUBS
Degsi:

Honest to God, needs some fucking antibac gel. Like in the hospital.
He who shall not be named: 9

Yeah, this was better.

Heard someone on radio this morning say that this was Red Star's first ever CL group win. Is this true?

So was it just a bad day, a change of playing style, lack of intensity, complacency or all of those?

Just a temporary blip or a realization?

Heard someone on radio this morning say that this was Red Star's first ever CL group win. Is this true?

Seeing as they haven't been in the competition for ten years, it's not THAT amazing. It's like when commentators point out breathlessly that some team hasn't won at a ground for fifty years, when the reality is they've only played there a couple of times in fifty years. Our record against them is played four, won one, if 'historic' records are deemed relevant to 2018. I just hope they go on now to play at the same level as yesterday, because they certainly upped their game.

If it takes a beating in the CL group stage to make Klopp think about changing things up in the league, i'm for it. I just hope we are learning from this and some of our previous insipid performances.

If it takes a beating in the CL group stage to make Klopp think about changing things up in the league, i'm for it. I just hope we are learning from this and some of our previous insipid performances.

Central midfield has been appalling in the last few games, with Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Lallana and even Milner all struggling, so I'm expecting some changes there deffo.

Not sure how fit Keita or Henderson are, but one or both could be back in for Fulham, and Shaqiri will also start.

I think you are wrong.

We get beat in Paris and they beat Red Star.

What if we beat them 2-1 at home? Both on 9 points and then it goes to head to head.

Dont they go through on away goals? 1-0 at their place and 2-1 at ours. So we would have to beat them either 1-0 to force extra time, or by 2 goals.

Or does it go on Goal Diff after the head to head (we beat them 1-0 so both results between us and Napoli the same) ? In which case, with us beat in Paris and they beat Red Star, our GD would be worse, and we would have to beat them by two goals anyway to win on the head to head.
Yeah. That was my calculations.

Yeah. That was my calculations.

Yep. We need to try and get a draw in Paris. I dont want to go into the last game having to beat them by two goals. I cant take that Olympiakos style shit again. It nearly killed me first time around.

Yep. We need to try and get a draw in Paris. I dont want to go into the last game having to beat them by two goals. I cant take that Olympiakos style shit again. It nearly killed me first time around.

Agreed. We barely got a touch of the ball in Napoli. Watching them against PSG last night, I think it would almost be easier winning in France, than beating Napoli by 2 goals.

Napoli are one of the best home teams in Europe, but they havent been that good away from home with 9 points from 5 games in Serie A.
But a draw in Paris would be excellent. Just needing any kind of win against Napoli would be best.

We've just got to return to high press, high pace play. I thought yesterday, and against Arsenal, it was quite apt we now advertise Western Union on our arms because we damn well telegraph every pass we make. Speed up!

A very similar side looked shite against Cardiff until Shaq came on. We might have a better squad on paper but fucking about with Lallana and Studge doesn't work. Surely Klopp can see that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom