• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post match Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
5 games 5 wins, two tricky away wins, one monsterous away win and two routine home wins.

What a start and we haven’t even been that good going forward.

It’s all been about our back 5.

Immense again today.

VVD MOTM.

I would give it to Robertson, had a very good match. Always seems to make the right judgement between fancy and safe.

Gini would be my next pick as he had a difficult game.

As I type Fulham lie down to make it 2-0 to City - changes channel

It's not the first time Virgil shun away from a shot. He could have stopped it if he had move towards the ball and/or stuck out a leg.

Again, that was comfortable. Scoreline flattered the opposition once more. All that matters, as ever, is the 3 points. Great win.

Great win but we nearly had to see Kane steal a point from the penalty spot. Again.

Someone needs to have a word with our forwards. We need to be more clinical.

Someone needs to have a word with our forwards. We need to be more clinical.

Yes, although it occurred to me as I watched that we were like this at the same stage last season - we wasted loads of chances every second half. Then we seemed to click and the right passes were made, the finishing grew more clinical and we started getting big wins.

I don't give a fuck about all your 5s and 6s.

I was pissed off that the international break came at the wrong time for us, as we were on a run of results.

Back from the break, we have a win in the early kick off and have the rest of the weekend to watch other teams huff and puff... couldn't have been more perfect. Everyone gets a 10..

Very encouraging that we were much better in the 2nd half. We maybe edged the 1st half, but they had loads of possession for much of it and Lucas Moura and Eriksen were pulling some strings.

2nd half - Moura had one good chance which he created on his own and Eriksen was missing. Bar the last 3 minutes, we completely dominated and should have at least 3 more goals.

Usually, I think we start strong and then hang on. Only worry was the poor decision making up front, leading to poor finishing.

Another gem of an article by Barney Ronay. I couldn't help but Binnify my favorite parts:
Get ready. It looks as though, this time, the Reds really are coming up the hill. It was not that Liverpool played irresistibly well. This was not a performance to drive the imagination or a whirl of red pain for Tottenham. Instead this felt like something better. Liverpool were solid in every position, their combinations well-grooved, every starting player blessed with the same intelligence, the same speed and spiky aggression.

There was some fine movement at times from Sadio Mané and Roberto Firmino, who still seems to be under the impression he has only borrowed the centre-forward position and needs to absolutely thrash it into the ground every second he is there before someone asks for it back. Nobody tell him just yet. James Milner made more tackles than anyone else and prowled the midfield with a snarl, snapping after the ball like a pair of ragged claws across the turf. Virgil van Dijk did not seem to do very much, but still gave the impression of being the game’s designated grown-up.

But this was, above all, an expression of the collective, the shared will of those red shirts. It was these qualities rather than any outstanding individual show that drove Liverpool to a win that made it five in a row at the start of the season for the first time since 1990.
Only one of those victories has been comfortable. Three have been away from home. Six different players have scored. Nobody out there is going to match Manchester City for football of the imagination or attacking resources, for the ability to take the game away from their opponents. But this team has something else in Jürgen Klopp’s third full season. Liverpool are ticking.

There was a good example with 74 minutes gone. Spurs had a free-kick on the edge of the Liverpool box. Érik Lamela spanked it low into the wall, got the ball back, played it out to Christian Eriksen. But from there something else started to happen. As Tottenham tried to pass and turn and play they were harried and hurried, constantly biting their own tongue, and eventually forced to scuff the ball right back to Michel Vorm, a team in the process of being eaten by a very hungry red caterpillar.

This was just one game in September. And Spurs were unusually poor. Baked by a sickly autumn sun, they were enervated from the start, rallied at the end and should have had a penalty to make it 2-2. But that would have been entirely against the flow of a game Liverpool could have won by quite a few more.

Mauricio Pochettino had packed the heart of his team with gristle, Eric Dier coming in to add a note of obstruction in central midfield alongside Mousa Dembélé . The more artful Harry Winks also started, a daunting lunchtime task for a man with six minutes of football since February.
Liverpool were shark-like in those opening moments, ripping into Tottenham’s left side. The full-backs stood out again. One thing you miss about Trent Alexander-Arnold on TV, perhaps because of his baby-face, is what a fine and powerful athlete he is, with a fearlessness to his positioning: the modern full-back who knows he has the presence to win a duel high up the pitch, the speed to get back if he does not.

The opening goal came six minutes before half-time. Vorm made a hash of a punch from a corner. Eventually, Georginio Wijnaldum headed back into the top corner, just out of the reach of Kieran Trippier and Vorm’s clawing hand, a superbly well-executed finish.

Harry Kane was an absence in that first half. He touched the ball 11 times despite Spurs taking 62% of possession. He had no shots, won no headers, made no dribbles. His only tangible contribution was to complete four passes. Some have suggested teams have worked out Kane, but this seems a little too clever. With the kindest will in the world there is not much to work out. The complete attacking secrets of Harry Kane would be a slim volume. His game at its best is beautifully simple: high-energy, highly effective meat and potatoes. He just looks very tired.

Elsewhere, Dier was poor in midfield, passing the ball like a man who had seen other people do it, but was not quite sure if it was for him just yet. Spurs improved as they switched to three at the back with Lamela on the right, from where he scored in stoppage time. But Liverpool were just that bit more coherent throughout.

As the final whistle peeped there was a brief celebration. Klopp chest-bumped his staff on the touchline. But the excitement was restrained. What will please him is how little this win seemed to take out of Liverpool. When these two teams met in his first game in charge it was a furious, bruising occasion, a ragged version his best high-energy approach. Here, every part of the machine looked calm and settled. Liverpool have a run of hard games coming up in the next months, but they look ready for them, a team that won its toughest so far with strength in reserve.

Last edited:
RatingsIdent-1024x110.png

IT’S glorious winning at Wembley, isn’t it?
We used to do it all the while y’know. Let’s do it all the while again, aye?
Alisson: 8
Back to making his shit look easy, isn’t he? Loved it when that 1945 fella upfront for them tried to lob him with a header and he just caught it and told him to shut his mouth.
Trent: 8
He’s probably the best centre mid in the world and we play him right back for a laugh.
Virgil: 9
Lashed the afterburners on to bail Joe Gomez out there second half. Loved his dialogue with him after it.
“Lad”
“I know, lad”

Marked that blue whale-mouthed fucker right out of it there, didn’t he? Imagine the shite he collects in his throat. He needs a filter fitting, him. Probably gets half his calories off spiders and flies, and that.

Joe Gomez: 8
Had an Igor whacky 10 minutes second half when he went shite for a bit, but then clobbered their best player. Virgil loves him, I reckon.
Andy Robbo: 9
Captain. My captain. He’s boss, isn’t he? Juicing on Irn Bru, him.
Gini: 8
Thought he struggled first half but bosses it second half. Loved it when he twatted it into their Kryton lad who plays centre mid. No fucking way that hurt him, mate. Probably just endangered his oil supply or something. He’s like Pinocchio him, lad. I’m a real boy. Look, it hurts. No you’re not, now get up.

Milner: 8
Like all the midfield, thought he struggled first half weirdly but was glorious second half. Twatted it against the robot to prove a point, had a load of lovely chats with the ref and managed us through the game.
Naby: 7
Thought he was alright. Looks like he’s just figuring us out. Him and Mane are going to wound people back end of the season down that left, y’know.
Mo: 8
Not at his best but could have scored four. Fancied a goal late on, reckon he’s getting a bollocking for that as we speak.

Sadio: 8
Looked like he had forgot how to run for a bit there and still set up the second. Like he’d been spinning a brush over his head. His legs were a show. Loved it when he got a cob on with Lamela.
Firmino: 9
Thought he was our best attacker, you know. Till that slow crab gouged his eye out. Hope he hasn’t been Momo’d.
SUBS
Henderson: 8

Come on and looked bigger and harder than everyone else.
Sturridge: 7
Free kick winner these days. Like Didi Hamann upfront .
Blue-Whale Grid:
Two celebration goal.
Harry Winks:
The last cockney.

Ratings for me:
Allisason - 7 very calm and dominated his box
Trent - 7 easy and capable all game
Gomez - 6 one poor mistake but over all very good
Virgil - 8 massive he was
Robertson - 8 dont think ive ever give him less than 7

Milner - 8 excellent as per
Gini - 8 really playing well this year. Classic ghost fixture this last year
Keita - 6 thought he was average today

Mane - 6 was a bit in and out today
Firmino - 8 fantastic front play all night
Salah - 6 still a yard off and still making crap choices

Trent did well but as I said about the previous game, he doesn't seem to have benefited so far from the throw-in coach. It's like he's got the yips. I said last time he was lucky not to get booked for time wasting and the ref went over and warned him during today's game. He needs to either leave it to someone else or just throw it quickly, because when he hangs on to it and looks around it's as if he's paralysed himself with indecision. The other players, moving once, then again, then a third time, must be thinking, 'Just hurry up and throw the fecking ball!!!!'

A few questions as I only watched highlights:

1) Based on the chances I saw, it seems that we were the better team most of the game - fair assessment?
2) Question about Bobby's goal - why wasn't that offsides? Just curious
3) Read in post match that Pochettino said they deserved a penalty late on - fair?
4) How did Keita play?
5) Gomez-VvD partnership was ok? I saw Gomez was skinned by Moura once for their opportunity.
6) Allison's distribution?

Lastly, a Gini away goal in the premier league ... :)

A few questions as I only watched highlights:

1) Based on the chances I saw, it seems that we were the better team most of the game - fair assessment? - YES 100%
2) Question about Bobby's goal - why wasn't that offsides? Just curious - Correction. He just wasnt offside. Came from behind the ball
3) Read in post match that Pochettino said they deserved a penalty late on - fair? - YES 100%
4) How did Keita play? - OK.
5) Gomez-VvD partnership was ok? I saw Gomez was skinned by Moura once for their opportunity. - YES. Gomez made a couple of errors but they backed each other well.
6) Allison's distribution? - OK. Not as good as usual. But neevously clearing it

Lastly, a Gini away goal in the premier league ... :)

Their possible pen would have been wiped out by our pen when their defender practically dragged VVD to the ground. That's something refs just seem to ignore these days, even though there was a directive a year ago demanding they penalise it.

I thought we completely bossed that game. Had so many good chances and also retained possession really well. Wasted so many chances and would have been a joke if we hadn't won it.

Yeah great victory for victories sake. But I am not buying into that shit about us as title contenders just yet. I still look at the other three (United, City, and Chelsea) with fear - simply because they look more assured than we do, more stronger etc. I mean ask yourselves - since the season began we are all pretty much in agreement that in overall consistency, and impact - it has been Milner who can be considered our best performer. Lovren's injury has been a blessing because it has allowed Gomez to play at at the back with VVD.

Gomez, Robertson, VVD, Milner, and Gini - these boys have been the rock and foundation of us winning our games despite the rest of the team playing what I consider average at best. The decision making of Mane, and Salah needs to be sorted ASAP, and nearly every week we keep talking about an incident involving TAA - if he was not a pure home grown - I think most of you on here would be giving him the Alberto treatment. I saw a game today where Spurs looked like a bunch of dozy cunts and Kane looks utterly fucked. My worry is that thus far we have not come up against the really big name players of the PL - and we really need to sort our shit out because watching the front play of the likes of City, and Chelsea - it really will be a massive test for our lot.

Yeah great victory for victories sake. But I am not buying into that shit about us as title contenders just yet. I still look at the other three (United, City, and Chelsea) with fear - simply because they look more assured than we do, more stronger etc. I mean ask yourselves - since the season began we are all pretty much in agreement that in overall consistency, and impact - it has been Milner who can be considered our best performer. Lovren's injury has been a blessing because it has allowed Gomez to play at at the back with VVD..

You clearly aren't even watching their games ...
United have been as 'poor' (or 'good') as us.
City have struggled to play with the same mojo as last year - the only thing that is different between us and them so far this year? They've been more clinical ...
Chelsea have yet to play a top team (sorry Arsenal) and until today, were struggling to break teams down.

As I said last week, no team is looking 'great' right now - and it's reassuring that despite us not being near top form:
1) Our GK issue seems to be resolved.
2) Our defense looks very solid
3) We've won 5 of 5 games.

Be happy you miserable git.

I have a feeling Klopp is going to have a serious talk with Salah and Mane. They both lost their focus a little bit. When Spurs scored their goal, Klopp had this expression that said "this is what happens when you don't finish the game off" – he's going to let them hear it.

I have a feeling Klopp is going to have a serious talk with Salah and Mane. They both lost their focus a little bit. When Spurs scored their goal, Klopp had this expression that said "this is what happens when you don't finish the game off" – he's going to let them hear it.

Its been almost every game this season.
It needs a kickin

You clearly aren't even watching their games ...
United have been as 'poor' (or 'good') as us.
City have struggled to play with the same mojo as last year - the only thing that is different between us and them so far this year? They've been more clinical ...
Chelsea have yet to play a top team (sorry Arsenal) and until today, were struggling to break teams down.

As I said last week, no team is looking 'great' right now - and it's reassuring that despite us not being near top form:
1) Our GK issue seems to be resolved.
2) Our defense looks very solid
3) We've won 5 of 5 games.

Be happy you miserable git.
Some points you say about the others being clinical...you are correct..but the rest regarding our performances and not just you...is utter emotional bollox.

Try and be objective...apart from todays game the other 4 fixtures we won are games we won last season...but we looked more composed and scored more. The behaviour of Salah and Mane up front is a serious issue...and none of the last 3 games have been comfortable watching. Currently both are showing those stupid characteristics why African teams never progress in world cups with their selfish pig headedness regarding grabbing the headlines. Both need to calm down and Klopp needs that chat with them. I suspect Salah is on a mission to prove he can do it again and Mane wants to prove he can also score loads.

FYI....I saw the game today and I was never convinced at 2-0 up...we needed that 3rd goal.

When we face more talented opposition who are up for it then we can make a judgement on our title credentials. Spurs have lost their mojo somewhat. But the front play of Chelsea looks very much their teams worth. As for City..they had Sane back again and he looked the bollox against Fulham today.

Hi everyone.

Just popped In to say I’ve had a boss day. I’m up at slaley hall in Northumbria on my society golf weekend away. 8 Evertonians and myself headed up here early so I could watch the match and it disappoint. Yeah I only scored 15 points on the golf and came last but fuck that, it’s all about the wind up. It’s been immense: I’m fucked like and na night xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom