• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post match Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their possible pen would have been wiped out by our pen when their defender practically dragged VVD to the ground. That's something refs just seem to ignore these days, even though there was a directive a year ago demanding they penalise it.

I think that was before the corner from which Gini scored, no? All this shoving and shirt grabbing kind of backfired on Spurs as Vorm couldn't get through the crowd of bodies and punch the ball cleanly.

BTW on the subject of penalties, one detail that this game reminded me of is that for all of Mane's defensive diligence, he sometimes does more harm than good when he gets very deep to defend. That late challenge on Son could have undone all our good work and he also conceded a very dangerous free-kick on the edge of the box in the first half (especially dangerous given how good Eriksen and Trippier are in these situations). I think he's conceded at least one penalty for us before – if I were Klopp I would forbid him to tackle anywhere near our box.

Last edited:
It wasnt a particularly good game although we were clearly the better side. Sometimes you get these games after and international break when players just look a bit jaded. Cant be too critical of a team thats won 5 on the bounce but we havent looked clinical in front of goal at all this season. On the plus side Gomez and VvD are building a very balanced partnership and Allison is miles better than any keeper weve seen since Reina joined the club. When the front 3 click and Keita finds his rhythm we are going to be lethal.

5 games 5 wins, two tricky away wins, one monsterous away win and two routine home wins.

What a start and we haven’t even been that good going forward.

It’s all been about our back 5.

Immense again today.

VVD MOTM.

One would have to acknowledge that we weren’t playing well the last couple of games but at the same time we have deserved to win those games as well....

Yesterday we played much better, not only defensively and in the middle of the park but all over the pitch including a big reduction in sloppy passes...

We’ve been very willing to rightfully point out that our defense is looking pretty damned sound but what I liked yesterday was the fact that we repeatedly carved Spurs open and with a little bit more focuse from our front three we would have absolutely fucking destroyed them....

Our best performance this season so far...

Away against a very tough opponent...

Bag o shite compared to us tho eh...

I think at some point this season we are gonna rack up a cricket score.

That pass by Mane to Keita on the counter almost felt like Mane refused to give it to Salah who was in a better position.

Some unhealthy competition between the two?

That pass by Mane to Keita on the counter almost felt like Mane refused to give it to Salah who was in a better position.

I think initially Keita was actually in a better position, because a Spurs defender covered Salah. But Mane's desire to create a goal for his "little brother" was so obvious that defenders were able to pick up on it and switched closer to Keita's side at which point Salah was all open – but Mane's mind was all made up and he wasn't even looking at Mo.

What Klopp needs to make clear to both of them is that in football you can't think about things like whose "turn" it is to score – the situation changes every instant and you have to have open mind to react accordingly. Too often in recent games both Salah and Sadio seem to decide whether they want to shoot or pass well in advance – if we can see them telegraphing these things on TV, then surely it's even easier to see for the defenders. They need to take all this thinking out of the game and once again rely purely on their excellent goal-scoring instincts.

Some points you say about the others being clinical...you are correct..but the rest regarding our performances and not just you...is utter emotional bollox.

FYI....I saw the game today and I was never convinced at 2-0 up...we needed that 3rd goal.

When we face more talented opposition who are up for it then we can make a judgement on our title credentials. Spurs have lost their mojo somewhat. But the front play of Chelsea looks very much their teams worth. As for City..they had Sane back again and he looked the bollox against Fulham today.

Again, you haven't watched the other teams.

Chelsea have played what 'top teams'? Arsenal? Great, we played Spurs - next? The 'front play'? They beat Huddersfield 3-0 (who City trashd 6-1 - seems like the 'drek' of our league unfortunately for them), barely scrapped by Arsenal (3-2) who are still developing a 'defensive' identity, barely scrapped by Newcastle 2-1 despite having 99% of the possession, and the last two games (Bournemouth and CARDIFF, a team everyone has picked to get relegated) have looked more clinical.

City barely beat Wolves, and were struggling early season. The team is a step down from last year and Pep has basically alluded to it a few times.

And then you mention manchester united - a team that has looked utter tosh, got humped 3-0 by spurs and has so many internal issues it's ridiculous.

As for today's game - I didn't watch it, but everyone says we dominated ... I'll take their word for it as you're looking at us through Manc lenses.

'emotional bollox'? I said we've not even come close to playing a 'great' game this year ... our defense and midfield has done a lot of good stuff, but our front 3 have a bit of work today. 'Emotional bollox'? Even Dreamy got excited, so cut the shit, enjoy a win against a team who beat us 4-1 last year and will finish top 4, and UP the REDS you miserable git.

Have to admit that I'm not really feeling this win like I usually would and it's all because of that missed penalty call.
To be blatantly honest, I feel like we robbed them or more specifically, that the ref robbed them.
Can't really digest it somehow. The last thing I want, is us winding up in a situation where one of our players gets brought down in the box during dying minutes and some ref decides to play the karma card.

One positive is that we're winning games like a Fergie team used to and that usually means titles.

Last edited:
Mane apparently deleted his latest Instagram post. Apparently he was getting abuse from fans calling him selfish etc. ....and no it wasn't me.

Their possible pen would have been wiped out by our pen when their defender practically dragged VVD to the ground. That's something refs just seem to ignore these days, even though there was a directive a year ago demanding they penalise it.
Yeah but we scored 2 secs later :D

I thought the player ratings on BBC interesting and were more in line with what I saw : No Spurs player above a 6 and the vast majority of our starting XI were given a 7 or an 8.

Footy365's 16 conclusions:

[article]This Liverpool formation is simply made for Milner, who can go wide and use his trusty thwack of a right leg to deliver balls into the box, but then tuck inside to press and to hound. Playing in a midfield two might not be an option anymore, but dovetailing with the understated intelligence of Wijnaldum from an inside right position showcases the very best of Milner in terms of both quality and effort. He will take some shifting.[/article]
[article]Virgil van Dijk really is imperious. There was a minute in the first half when he won a towering header and then a second later he made a perfect interception in which he not only came away with the ball, but delivered it – perfectly weighted – into the feet of a midfielder, who had sent Sadio Mane away within another second. Now multiply that minute by 90 and you arrive at the £75m that Liverpool paid for the Dutchman.
We rarely give prizes for the signing of a calendar year, but I saw little in the summer of 2018 to rival the capture of Van Dijk in January. We knew he was good. But did we know he was this good?[/article]

I thought the player ratings on BBC interesting and were more in line with what I saw : No Spurs player above a 6 and the vast majority of our starting XI were given a 7 or an 8.
That sounds pretty spot on to me. We were easily the better team.

Footy365's 16 conclusions:

[article]This Liverpool formation is simply made for Milner, who can go wide and use his trusty thwack of a right leg to deliver balls into the box, but then tuck inside to press and to hound. Playing in a midfield two might not be an option anymore, but dovetailing with the understated intelligence of Wijnaldum from an inside right position showcases the very best of Milner in terms of both quality and effort. He will take some shifting.[/article]
[article]Virgil van Dijk really is imperious. There was a minute in the first half when he won a towering header and then a second later he made a perfect interception in which he not only came away with the ball, but delivered it – perfectly weighted – into the feet of a midfielder, who had sent Sadio Mane away within another second. Now multiply that minute by 90 and you arrive at the £75m that Liverpool paid for the Dutchman.
We rarely give prizes for the signing of a calendar year, but I saw little in the summer of 2018 to rival the capture of Van Dijk in January. We knew he was good. But did we know he was this good?[/article]

The whole thing is well worth reading.

Milner is a monster and a clear leader, his endurance is amazing and he's certainly not afraid to put in a challenge

Its been almost every game this season.
It needs a kickin

It was the same at this stage last season, where we'd go 2-0 or 3-0 up and then shots would be sliced, tricks would be tried and passes wouldn't happen. I wonder if it's down to the fact that the movement is so intricate and quick that it takes a few games for everyone to really 'click' in terms of awareness of each other. Or maybe they're just finding their form.

Seen the highlights and give the team 7.5/10. We were wasteful in front of goal. Salah needs a week off but I don't think we can rest him till the League Cup

Have to admit that I'm not really feeling this win like I usually would and it's all because of that missed penalty call.
To be blatantly honest, I feel like we robbed them or more specifically, that the ref robbed them.
Can't really digest it somehow. The last thing I want, is us winding up in a situation where one of our players gets brought down in the box during dying minutes and some ref decides to play the karma card.

karma for the penalties last year.

But he only got to have blown for that infringement. That said, Oliver is the best of a poor bunch.
Yes, but if we hadn't we wouldn't have got it. It's happened several times to us this year and refs just bottle it.
The issue is that the referees' association is full of crap. I'm sure they said last season defenders would be penalised more for infringements (such as holding) in the box yet nothing seems to have changed.

I was thinking about this too, but I think it was more him trying to help his new mate by giving him his first goal at the club (Keita) as opposed to ignoring Salah. Either way not on when you're only two up.

I was thinking about this too, but I think it was more him trying to help his new mate by giving him his first goal at the club (Keita) as opposed to ignoring Salah. Either way not on when you're only two up.
I could accept it if we were 2 up and only one min before the end of the game.

Unfortunately ratings are so often dictated by the result. If Tottenham had tied the game at the end those ratings would have changed significantly.

Unfortunately ratings are so often dictated by the result. If Tottenham had tied the game at the end those ratings would have changed significantly.
No I don't think so. Virtually every paper / media outlet I've read has said we deserved to win by more and totally outclassed them. I think it was the Telegraph that said it would have been a 'travesty' had Spurs tied it up.

No I don't think so. Virtually every paper / media outlet I've read has said we deserved to win by more and totally outclassed them. I think it was the Telegraph that said it would have been a 'travesty' had Spurs tied it up.
They can say all that ... but everyone knows that had the ref seen that last minute incident they would have drawn that game. Lesson to be learnt is that dominance of a game must be reflected in the scoreline.

They can say all that ... but everyone knows that had the ref seen that last minute incident they would have drawn that game. Lesson to be learnt is that dominance of a game must be reflected in the scoreline.

Everyone knows that if we'd buried our 5-6 good chances, we'd have won 8-2.
Everyone knows that if your uncle had a pussy, he'd be your aunt.
Yes, everyone knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom