• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Race-swapped "Blackface Books" For Black History Month

manwithnoname

Bravo old man. Bravo.
Banned
In one of the most eye-gougingly terrible ideas I have seen for at least a week, US book-seller decided it would be a good idea to celebrate "diversity" in books, by race-swapping the covers of existing classic novels. All of which are by, yeah you guessed it, white people.

Yes, really.

Here's "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, with its new "diverse edition" cover:

1800.jpg

And a few more:

diverse-edition-PAGE-2020-640x360.png

Hahahahahahaha!

Unsurprisingly, the announcement was not altogether well received and it has been hurriedly shelved (I thankyew), but not before TBWA (obviously an ad agency was involved, because of course it was) tried to explain their reasoning, and how it was inspired by casting a black actress as Hermione in a stage version of Harry Potter & The Cloak of Mediocrity:

"We just had a long conversation about how a lot of assumptions are made when books are made into films or books or even packaged and illustrated book covers, but really the power of reading is, you can imagine whatever you want beyond the words on the page.”

I do think Moby Suck My Dick has potential, though

Back
Top Bottom