• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Record breakers - Burnley post match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't easy for Thiago to play incisive passes when there are no runs... he has the ability, but we are static and there is little space as teams sit back.

It isn't easy for Thiago to play incisive passes when there are no runs... he has the ability, but we are static and there is little space as teams sit back.

But that's why he was bought. No one said it's easy, but that's why we got him!

Starting line up said it all. But Origi is completely out of favour, Shaq missed an entire year and a half (and we tried to sell him during that), and Ox is back from his 50th injury. You maybe play 1 out of form / match practice player, or 2 at the most, but 3 of the fuckers... Are we that desperate or are we trying to make a point to the owners.

Not that I think playing Bobby would have helped. Salah is marginally better, but still in horrendous form.

Jota, VVD and Gomez would obviously help. But we've only really signed 2 first teamers since Summer 2019

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Sepp van den Berg{/td}
{td}PEC Zwolle{/td}
{td}£4,400,000 *{/td}
{td}27 June 2019{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Harvey Elliott{/td}
{td}Fulham{/td}
{td}£0 *{/td}
{td}28 July 2019{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Adrián San Miguel{/td}
{td}Free Transfer{/td}
{td}Free{/td}
{td}5 August 2019{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Andy Lonergan{/td}
{td}Free Transfer{/td}
{td}Free{/td}
{td}12 August 2019{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Takumi Minamino{/td}
{td}Red Bull Salzburg{/td}
{td}£7,250,000{/td}
{td}1 January 2020{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Kostas Tsimikas{/td}
{td}Olympiacos{/td}
{td}£11,750,000{/td}
{td}10 August 2020{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Thiago Alcantara{/td}
{td}Bayern Munich{/td}
{td}£27,400,000 *{/td}
{td}18 September 2020{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Diogo Jota{/td}
{td}Wolves{/td}
{td}£45,000,000 *{/td}
{td}19 September 2020{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

The lack of investment has caught up. The cheap backups have been shit (Mini, Tsimikas) and then 2 backup keepers and 2 kids.

I wonder if he'll have enough time, or $$$s available, to rebuild this team ... because if we don't finish 4th, we're fucked.

This is the whole thing I argued the toss over during the last few weeks. We don't buy a defender now, we have players continuing to plug gaps and it continues to disrupt the team.

The defense has done brilliantly without VVD. Whoever has stepped in, by and large, has done well and we've not been embarrassed like many expected we would, but we're embarrassing ourselves by becoming too easy to read and too easy to nullify.

Injuries, a lack of depth (Robbo and Trent), a few years of the same intense tactics and natural decline is pretty much where we are at. Some of it is on Klopp, some of it's on the shitty side of our financial carefulness, and some of it is on player ego - some have won what they needed to win and some are believing their own hype.

It's natural, but this is where managers really earn their crust.

Also: goalkeepers coming up for corners is what desperate lower division teams do. All they do 999 times out of a thousand is get in the way of their teammates.

Not surprising though considering we've been playing like a lower division team for the last month.

Also: goalkeepers coming up for corners is what desperate lower division teams do. All they do 999 times out of a thousand is get in the way of their teammates.
Speaking of getting in the way, I saw two moments of Salah going for a shot at the same time of another player (one with Minamino one with Shaq). Super maddening.

Only thing that would cheer me is a signing before the end of this window.

Would give the whole club a lift.

I come back to the post that I wrote earlier about the psychology. We've built our winning runs based on skill, creativity, tactics and all that other good stuff, but one thing more than anything – we wanted it more than the other team, every single game, every single time. Watching this team this season, even in the games we've won, can you honestly say that's been the case? It's been a huge, foundational part of our success and it's not there anymore.

Last edited:
Remember that time, nearly 2 hours ago, when Origi should’ve slotted it? Fuck him.

I'd rather see a near miss, but hit with proper power and correct technique, than the tame, hopeless strikes our first-choice front 3 has been producing for the past few weeks. Origi and Shaq were probably our 2 best attackers today...

Last edited:
We aren’t feared anymore. We get the ball and cross it. No getting deep, no making them make mistakes, no breaking at pace. It’s ponderous and we are getting everything we deserve.

Reactions: Raz
I'd rather see a near miss, but hit with correct power and technique, than the tame, hopeless strikes our first-choice front 3 has been producing for the past few weeks. Origi and Shaq were probably our 2 best attackers today...

I’d rather he scored.

I used to think about what it would be like, once we won the title after so many years, to follow it up with a less than perfect season. Thought I'd be fine with it ... I was wrong.

What is it with this passion that we have to live so much in the present moment and don't allow ourselves anymore than the minimum time to enjoy the highs?

Just last month we looked like monsters again that everyone would look to beat, then Fat Cunt Sam came and spoilt the party. There is nothing that we are doing which is wrong other than the pace of our moves is just too slow in the final third, but we need more moments like what Gini did with his run, and we need our players to sometimes take the defender on rather than the pass. But ultimately we are killing ourselves by persistently slowing the attack down in the final moments and denying us an easier scoring opportunity, also the positioning of players next defenders - not helping when they are all lined up like cocaine. Anyway - like I said - getting 4th is our priority, league is done now, cannot see City losing a game, and United will drop few points if any.

going to bed, goodnite.

It was clearly not good enough for this match, but we also know Firmino hasn't been good enough for the last twelve, eighteen months.

I'd rather watch Origi come on and be more threatening in 55 minutes than Firmino has been in the last 360.

I would rather not get injured in a dead rubber and been fit to play this last 8 weeks.

I'm actually not arsed. I'm grateful that I at least got to see last season.

All this season I've been saying I'm done with footy, so I'm a bit meh. Can't wait for the season to end. Might get back into again next year if this isn't a blip for me. Or maybe not.

Meh. I'm not letting footy ruin my life anymore.

5 games, 219 crosses, 1 goal. Zero wins.

Bad coaching as much as anything

It's hard to argue with this.

I remember Lijnders crowing about how intensity is our identity or the Brain purring about how great we are at finding solutions. Get back to basics instead of tooting your own horn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom