• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Record breakers - Burnley post match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t get Jota back quick enough.

So many poor displays today.

This sort of saviour mentality is clearly a misplaced function of how badly its all unravelled this season. Jota wont fix Trents dreadful crossing, he wont fix our inability to win a header in the opposition area, he wont fix the lack of creativity in midfield. We had the same with Thiago, 'once hes back we will be flying', now its Jota, after he comes back it will probably be Keita. It just doesnt work that way, we are nowhere near the level we were at a year ago. Its not down to one player, or one VAR decision having too many games, having too much time between games etc anybody who has been watching us can see were devoid of ideas and confidence. Weve somehow turned the best counter attacking side in world football into a toothless possession based team.

Genuinely think its time the squad had a proper clear the air session. Something has gone fundamentally wrong with how we play. If its as simple as players with a bag of medals arent going to run like dogs for 90 mins every 3 days then Klopp needs to hear that. If there are players who havent been putting the effort in they need to be called out. If some egos are no longer willing to work together then they need to either bury the hatchet or somebody will be forced to step aside.

There are still some things that can be salvaged from this season. A top 4 finish and European trophies amongst them, but not like this. We have to be honest about where this team is at mentally.

There was a conversation in a thread a few weeks back about what would happen when some of our players were past their peak. I dont think its a hypothetical scenario anymore.

Exactly. Too many people are going on about how we're not scoring goals because Jota's out. There's another eleven men on the field who have been going through the motions since Crystal Palace from whom we should expect better.

There was a conversation in a thread a few weeks back about what would happen when some of our players were past their peak. I dont think its a hypothetical scenario anymore

And this is what scares me ... when klopp cant see how Bobby is likely finished. If he cant see the obvious, theres a chance hes in the same boat as our players.

This team of the last few games needs a leader more than ever, who can turn a game with sheer will. I love Hendo but it's not always what he's capable of.

And this is what scares me ... when klopp cant see how Bobby is likely finished. If he cant see the obvious, theres a chance hes in the same boat as our players.

I dont think so, not yet. Im willing to believe hes too loyal, too wedded to a certain way of playing or that he misjudged how much last season had taken out of us. Any of those is recoverable. He deserves the full backing of the club given his relentless forward progress to this point. But this summer but he needs to start rebuilding and far more ruthlessly.

I like Ox, he seems like a nice guy, but after 4 years its clear he has no business being at the club. And hes not alone

Players need to know no one is indispensable. That's why City is a top team. Their players don't get to be shit for too long. Always another 50 million pound player waiting on the bench...

Players need to know no one is indispensable. That's why City is a top team. Their players don't get to be shit for too long. Always another 50 million pound player waiting on the bench...

You dont often see a player play for City who doesnt look like he has a clue what hes meant to be doing. Alot of our players look like that. At times last night Shaq, Mané Ox and Origi were getting in each others way without any sense of who was meant to be doing what.

This sort of saviour mentality is clearly a misplaced function of how badly its all unravelled this season. Jota wont fix Trents dreadful crossing, he wont fix our inability to win a header in the opposition area, he wont fix the lack of creativity in midfield. We had the same with Thiago, 'once hes back we will be flying', now its Jota, after he comes back it will probably be Keita. It just doesnt work that way, we are nowhere near the level we were at a year ago. Its not down to one player, or one VAR decision having too many games, having too much time between games etc anybody who has been watching us can see were devoid of ideas and confidence. Weve somehow turned the best counter attacking side in world football into a toothless possession based team.

Genuinely think its time the squad had a proper clear the air session. Something has gone fundamentally wrong with how we play. If its as simple as players with a bag of medals arent going to run like dogs for 90 mins every 3 days then Klopp needs to hear that. If there are players who havent been putting the effort in they need to be called out. If some egos are no longer willing to work together then they need to either bury the hatchet or somebody will be forced to step aside.

There are still some things that can be salvaged from this season. A top 4 finish and European trophies amongst them, but not like this. We have to be honest about where this team is at mentally.

There was a conversation in a thread a few weeks back about what would happen when some of our players were past their peak. I dont think its a hypothetical scenario anymore.
I agree & disagree. I hate the pointing to a player out, and claiming he is the difference ... likewise the logic of then blaming Klopp for playing him in a CL game. The whole team is having a bad patch, and I would hazard a guess that, even if Jota was here, it would be similar - he was in great form, but at Wolves he tended to be streaky, so there is zero guarantee that form would have persisted indefinitely.

In fact it is puerile in the extreme to pin all hopes on one returning player.

At the same time, I refuse to believe, this team is completely screwed. We're having a very poor run, but all our contenders, including City, who everyone seems to be lauding at the moment, have had bad runs. Like them we will turn it around

I haven't given up on the title, but then I never did for the last 30 years, so don't read too much into that

This team of the last few games needs a leader more than ever, who can turn a game with sheer will. I love Hendo but it's not always what he's capable of.

Good point. When Hendo or van Dijk are injured there's no leader on the pitch.

It certainly doesn't help when someone like Wijnaldum carries the armband around.

I don't think that's the case, or at least I'm not convinced it is. I don't know what our plans would have been in the summer had covid not come along, but I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was to bring in someone to replace Bobby. Whether that would be some like for like player I don't know of, or a different forward, they'd be likely to cost upwards of £50m and unlikely to be something we could do whilst balancing the books. Klopp in the past has stuck to bringing in a small selection of players rather than signing anyone to fill a gap, so if he wasn't able to afford the players he want I suspect he decided to see if he could get another season out of the forwards before making a change next summer.

I know we signed Thiago and Jota this summer, and that might have been enough if we could rely on Origi, Keita, Minamino and Ox to come in, stay fit and challenge the first team, and maybe there's mitigation but they've all failed to step up. Added to that is Matip's inability to stay fit, which really should have prompted a centre back signing by now.

This reminds me of playing FIFA - play it wide, cross, hope the ball finds a forward. Utter turd. Onwards.

Hopefully the owners can see now that you can't get away with coasting in this league. Maybe they thought that we could tread water and if not retain the league then at least breeze into a top four space, but because a lot of our team are around the same age there was always the risk that they could decline at the same time. Even if we're only talking about minor drops in ability/form, if that happens to half the team at once you're talking about the potential for a major drop in performance. We needed to bring in more players in the summer and start the process of evolving beyond the first 11 of the last couple of years.

At the same time, I refuse to believe, this team is completely screwed. We're having a very poor run, but all our contenders, including City, who everyone seems to be lauding at the moment, have had bad runs. Like them we will turn it around

I broadly agree with this, we are now where City were 12 months ago. Jaded, way off form and looking vulnerable. They had big players that needed to be replaced, injury problems for key players and others that wanted out. So yes theres no reason to say the decline is terminal yet.

City have lost some key players in the last couple of seasons, but theyve also been more ruthless about replacing them. We havent needed to do that up til now but its clear as day that we need to move on 3 or 4 players and begin succession planning for some very important positions. If we're unwilling or unable to do that then I believe we have a much bigger problem long term.

Crucially we have to be better at it than City, we dont have their margin for error.

I actually think one good catalyst could very well save our season. We still have great players who are just low on confidence. Scoring goals and winning games restores that. Jota will do that.

Have City gone 5 games with 2 points and 1 goal scored this season? Have the Mancs? Leicester? Spurs?
If they have, fair point ... If not, then ...

Why is there two post match threads?
Also, here's why I think Firmino hasn't been good this season. He's a showman, he needs a crowd.

More of the same shite. I feel we've mentality shut down after the CB injuries and some questionable VAR calls. We just seem to be going through the motions.

Klopp is trying to mix it up, which offers some hope, but the passing patterns remain depressingly familiar. There's no short, zippy passing around the box, no instinctive movement. Everything is done in hope rather than expectation. We've had one game plan drilled into us over the years, and it's given us huge success. If Plan-A was failing to spark, we upped the intensity to make it work. There was never flexibility in our approach, because it wasn't needed. Now it's not working, and furthermore we've lost confidence in it, we just look aimless and bereft.

Restricting Thiago to a holding role, when Burnley will sit back and Wijnaldum can do it, was a significant mistake. Consequently, Thiago was limited and ineffective. The miss from Origi was criminal for a professional footballer at this level. He's been practising that for 20 odd years. There are no excuses. Watching Trent is like watching a fly banging its head against a window all afternoon. Utterly mindless and ineffective. Fabinho just seemed rattled all afternoon, lacking all the usual calmness he brings to the game. Klopp losing his shit at HT was pretty embarrassing when he's preaching 'calmness' about our current situation. The last thing the players need is a manager who looked rattled.

The long and short of it is we've built a squad whereby the constant injuries and increased reliance on a core group of players has led to mental/physical fatigue, to the point where are now playing as shadows of their former selves. There can be no debate. We've had three insane, intense seasons, that have been the among the best in our history, and now we're in the hangover of all that 'euphoria'. It would be easier to take if we could have actually celebrated it, but for most football fans its pretty first-world problems stuff.

If Klopp was considering how to evolve this side, he needs to sharpen his mind and put that plan into overdrive. There very clear reasons why managers do not last six years at football clubs. Players get tired of same messages, same style every single day. Klopp needs to follow Fergusson now, and ruthless cut loose anyone who isn't listening and acting to instructions, or is so injury prone they may as well not exist. Loyalty ceases to exist when the results aren't there. Working out how to evolve this side without losing our competitiveness will be among the greatest challenges of his career, and require expert judgement. If the core group don't snap out of this slump this year then it's going to be a long and bumpy road ahead.

Last edited:
More of the same shite. I feel we've mentality shut down after the CB injuries and some questionable VAR calls. We just seem to be going through the motions.

Klopp is trying to mix it up, which offers some hope, but the passing patterns remain depressingly familiar. There's no short, zippy passing around the box, no instinctive movement, everything is done in hope rather than expectation. We've had one game plan drilled into us over the years, and it's given us huge success. If Plan A was failing to spark, we upped the intensity to make it work. There was never flexibility in our approach. Now it's not working, and furthermore we've lost confidence in it, we just look aimless and bereft.

Restricting Thiago to a holding role, when Burnley will sit back and Wijnaldum can do it, was a significant mistake. Thiago was limited and pretty ineffective. The miss from Origi was criminal for a professional footballer at this level. He's been practising that for 20 odd years. There are no excuses, in what was otherwise a brighter appearance- at least he posed some sort of threat. Watching Trent is like watching a fly banging its head against a window all afternoon. Utterly mindless and ineffective. Fabinho just seemed rattled all afternoon, lacking all the usual calmness he brings to the game.

The long and short of it is we've built a squad whereby the constant injuries and increased reliance on a core group of players has led to mental/physical fatigue, to the point where are now playing as shadows of their former selves. There can be no debate of that. We've had three insane, intense seasons, that have been the among the best in our history. Now we're in the hangover of all that 'euphoria'. It would be easier to take if we could have actually celebrated it, but for most football fans its pretty first-world problems stuff. It will get better, but if Klopp was considering how to evolve this side, he needs to sharpen his mind and put that plan into overdrive. There very clear reasons why managers do not last six years at football clubs. Players get tired of same messages, same style every single day. Klopp needs to follow Fergusson now, and ruthless cut loose anyone who isn't listening and acting to instructions, or is so injury prone they may as well not exist. Loyalty ceases to exist when the results aren't there. Working out how to evolve this side without losing our competitiveness will be among the greatest challenges of his career and require expert judgement.

Excellent post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom