• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Shrewsbury Town FC (FA Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be that cocky.

Whilst on paper we should walk it, as our weakened side will probably look fairly strong simply cos we want to get games into people who haven't played much, that means our side will have a lack of rhythm & won't be used to playing together, in contrast to theirs.

On top of that, they play a very defensive style as their normal game, it's not like they're a side who normally play a different style but change it to play us.

I wouldn't be massively surprised if we went ahead early & got a few, but equally, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a very tight game.

Aye I was just spouting hyperbole mate. Don’t know an awful lot about them to be truthful, but if they play defensively we should probably win by a couple. I’d be happy with that and no injuries.

I'm gonna be watching it on my phone while I'm at the St Johnstone Celtic match.

Aye I was just spouting hyperbole mate. Don’t know an awful lot about them to be truthful, but if they play defensively we should probably win by a couple. I’d be happy with that and no injuries.
Yeah, if I were to stick a score on it I'd say 1-2 or 1-3, apparently they surprised Bristol with their ability to get in behind them as Bristol attacked them, so despite being good defensively they clearly have the ability, & with the back five most likely being short of a bit of match fitness that could cause us some issues.

I just want to get through. Unlike Klopp, if it went to a replay I'm not convinced that would be such a bad thing, we'll be playing an almost completely changed team regardless, so shouldn't affect the 'first 11', & too much time off never does us much good anyway.

Liverpool: Adrian, Williams, Matip, Lovren, Larouci, Fabinho, Chirivella, Jones, Minamino, Elliott, Origi.

Subs: Kelleher, Keita, Firmino, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hoever, Alexander-Arnold.

Milner still not 100%.
Glad the kids who starred against Everton get their chance again.

We should win comfortably and hope only Hoever and Keita get run outs as Bobby, salah, Ox & AA should rest

Guessing we're going 4-3-3 with Minamino left and Elliot on the right.

Looking forward to seeing more of Minamino. He was getting into decent positions versus Wolves but players seemed hesitant in passing to him. Hopefully these younger lads will look to he his experience and we can see what he can do in the attacking third.

It's always exciting to see Elliot also. His decision making is far ahead of heads it's genuinely a bit scary. Makes the right decision time and time again and most has the technique to pull it off.

Guessing we're going 4-3-3 with Minamino left and Elliot on the right.

Looking forward to seeing more of Minamino. He was getting into decent positions versus Wolves but players seemed hesitant in passing to him. Hopefully these younger lads will look to he his experience and we can see what he can do in the attacking third.

It's always exciting to see Elliot also. His decision making is far ahead of heads it's genuinely a bit scary. Makes the right decision time and time again and most has the technique to pull it off.

wouldn’t be surprised if we went 4231

Liverpool: Adrian, Williams, Matip, Lovren, Larouci, Fabinho, Chirivella, Jones, Minamino, Elliott, Origi.

Subs: Kelleher, Keita, Firmino, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hoever, Alexander-Arnold.
Lovern is the weakest link ;)

My lad's mates is starting. He scored the winner for Oldham against Fulham last year.

The ex-Liverpool striker & Everton fan who dreams of scoring for Shrewsbury

Press Association

As an Everton fan, Shrewsbury striker Callum Lang grew up dreaming about scoring against Liverpool. On Sunday, he will try to dump Jurgen Klopp’s world and European champions out of the FA Cup.
featureimage-11-600x400.jpg

For the 21-year-old Lang, on a season-long loan at Montgomery Waters Meadow from Wigan, the fourth-round tie will be personal.

ADVERTISING

Lang was at Anfield when a youthful Liverpool beat Everton 1-0 in the third round three weeks ago—his suffering enhanced as he was made to sit amid the home fans with his girlfriend’s family—but the result gives him a chance to face a club whose academy he once played in.
Lang was 10 when he joined Liverpool’s academy, playing alongside the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold in their development teams, but he was at least spared from having to pull on a red shirt.
“In the development squad you wore your own kit,” Lang said. “I wore an England kit to keep it safe. I didn’t have it in me to wear the Everton kit. My dad wanted me to wear it, but England was safer.”
Despite his Everton connections, Lang admitted it was still a brutal day when he was released by Liverpool.
“When you get let go, you are gutted,” he said. “You’re crying like every kid is when they get released. Straight after that I went to Bolton and the same thing happened.

“As a kid your dream is to play football and it was looking like it wasn’t going to happen, but I went to Wigan and they gave me a contract straight away.”
embedded240483621.jpg

Lang has since spent time out on loan at Morecambe and last season was at Oldham, where he wrote FA Cup headlines with the winner over then-Premier League club Fulham in the third round.
“That is probably the highlight of my career so far,” Lang said.
“It was such a big game and I had all my family there. The way the game went, from 1-0 down to getting the equaliser, scoring the penalty and then scoring late, it was just the way it worked.
“It is a moment I will never forget. I still look at the video all the time.”
Lang admitted last season had been a strange one, with Oldham sacking Frankie Bunn before Paul Scholes’ brief, ill-fated spell in charge, but one he feels helped him develop.

His season-long loan at Shrewsbury has been hampered by a metatarsal injury which sidelined him for three months, returning in early January, but he is looking to take further steps under Sam Ricketts, who has his own ideas for Lang’s development.
2019-12-29-123-Liverpool_Wolves.jpg

“This is only my assessment but I think he’s very similar to Diogo Jota at Wolves,” said Ricketts, who has encouraged Lang to study videos of the Portugal forward.
“He can play in a top two or drop into a three, he can go wide. He’s a goalscorer but he’s quick. They’re very, very similar players. Not big in height, in stature, but a nuisance to play against. Langy is very similar.”
Now Lang is hoping to be a thorn in the side for Liverpool this weekend.
“As a kid all I dreamed of was coming off the bench and scoring a little header last minute against Liverpool at Goodison or Anfield.
“Obviously if I can do it here that would be just as special. It is such a special moment for the club and I’m sure it will give me the same sort of feeling doing it in a Shrewsbury shirt as it would an Everton one.
“It is the stuff of dreams as a kid and a moment I have thought of since I was a boy.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom