• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Six Nations

England are at a slight disadvantage in that Scotland *always* raise their game for us and today was no exception.

A draw was a right result in the end. Neither team had the quality in the back-line to make use of the good chances available throughout.

Wilko's got no options from 11/14, 15, or 12, so I feel for him in that regard.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=38718.msg1068934#msg1068934 date=1268499216]
Well done to the Irish on a deserved victory!

Another ref goes onto my hate list though! We get a yellow for a minor offence, yet the Irish get away with conceding about 150000000 penalties without any further punishment.

*Runs off to put his kilt on*
[/quote]

I have to say he's the worst ref I've ever seen in an international game. Byrne's yellow card was ridiculous, even worse was the penalty we got when Sexton held onto the ball on the ground a few metres out from the Welsh line with three Welsh defenders on him. I had it tallied it at 8 points we got that we shouldn't have and six that you got that you shouldn't have (going by a normal referee).

That said we were the better team throughout. Wales seemed to lack ideas, every move was a crash ball to Roberts and even though most of the time he made yards it was so predictable that we were able to set our defence well for second and third phase possession and ensure we we're never really stretched.

As for our own game, the scrum held up quite well despite the significant amount of weight we were giving away, the lineout was just as good as usual, our play on the deck was quite good, the backline functioned quite well but our kicking game was not as good as usual. So many kicks were sliced out into touch on the full.

Individually Healy and Best had big defensive games, O'Connell showed some soft hands in the try for O'Leary. Heaslip was quiet but Wallace and Ferris had beastly games, both carrying a lot of ball to great effect. O'Leary, despite his shite passing technique, had a superb game for us - his own try was a feat of sheer determination but his heads up play for Earls' second try was excellent as well. Sexton had a mixed game, too many sliced kicks from hand but he ran the line pretty damn well and showed some excellent hands and steps during the game (I don't get as upset as others about kicks missed from the touchline). O'Driscoll had a solid game in defence but did little going forward, D'arcy added further weight to the theory that drummers in Spinal Tap have better life expentancies than the Irish no.12's. Earls had a very good defensive game at both wing and centre and finished both tries very well, he also put in a couple of superb kicks and had the moment of the match (for me) when Dricco gave him a pass to the bootlaces which he managed to knock up into his hands. Bowe was his usual excellent self and Murphy showed despite the fact that he looks like a throwback to the amateur days that he's just so far ahead of others with his reading of the game and his all round skills that it never really matters. Kearney wasn't great when he came on, and his form this season is reason for concern but I think he'll come around with more game time.

*satisfied*

I enjoyed both games today - Ireland-Wales for the passing and running (I thought your hate-figure O'Leary was brilliant), and Scotland-England for the brutal battling.

I really enjoyed the Scotland - England game as well, I'd had too many pints by the time it kicked off to do any sort of reasonable analysis of it though.

It was played at a hectic pace that was conducive to errors and both teams served up enough them, but the sheer commitment of both sides to every run, tackle and breakdown battle was brilliant to see. Unfortunately it culminated in a nasty collision between the Scottish 6 (Brown ?) and Ugo Monye but that's often a price you'll see paid when two teams go balls out in a game.

Completely different to the Ireland - Wales game but every but as enjoyable

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=38718.msg1069020#msg1069020 date=1268515256]
I enjoyed both games today - Ireland-Wales for the passing and running (I thought your hate-figure O'Leary was brilliant), and Scotland-England for the brutal battling.
[/quote]

Credit where it's due, O'Leary was a different player for us today. Other than once or twice, he moved the ball quickly from the base of the breakdown, and some great breaks. Its the first time I've seen him play like a top international scrum half. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Flood in for Wilkinson, plus five other changes for the France match. Tindall for Tait being one of them, Foden for Armitage another. Shaw's back in too. On the whole, I'd say those changes are positive, but I do wonder about the wisdom of dropping Jonny for this particular match. If we're to have any chance we'll need to defend well and kick our penalties, and I'd have thought Wilkinson is more reliable in both areas than Toby Flood, even if he restricts us in terms of our backs' play.

I think we'll either get thrashed or scare the living shit out of France, and which one it is will depend on our start. Stop them scoring/creating chances during the first half an hour, and I'd give us a good chance. If they score early, we're in for a looooong game.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=38718.msg1071549#msg1071549 date=1268859806]
Flood in for Wilkinson, plus five other changes for the France match. Tindall for Tait being one of them, Foden for Armitage another. Shaw's back in too. On the whole, I'd say those changes are positive, but I do wonder about the wisdom of dropping Jonny for this particular match. If we're to have any chance we'll need to defend well and kick our penalties, and I'd have thought Wilkinson is more reliable in both areas than Toby Flood, even if he restricts us in terms of our backs' play.

I think we'll either get thrashed or scare the living shit out of France, and which one it is will depend on our start. Stop them scoring/creating chances during the first half an hour, and I'd give us a good chance. If they score early, we're in for a looooong game.

[/quote]

England to beat France by 40 points please.

I'm really looking forward to todays games, mainly because we should start off proceedings with a good win!

In particular i can't wait to see how Prydie (18) and Warburton go.

If you don't win Gatland and Edwards will get the chop, but it's only Italy so there shouldn't be that much chance of it happening.

We seem to have stuck with the same team as last time, which in light of the fact it's a Triple Crown game isn't surprising but it is disappointing. I'm not talking about putting out an experimental side but a change at tighthead would have been sensible as would one at inside centre. We need to find out if Buckley is good enough to step in for Hayes permanently and the Scottish scrum is a decent test, D'Arcy hasn't done enough to justify his inclusion, mainly because he keeps getting injured but it's because he keeps getting injured that I think we should try Wallace again.

I think we'll win this one by about 15 but there should be some good battles around the park, the back row in particular would be a highlight. The Scottish back row unit is winning plenty of admirers this year but I don't think the new interpretation of the tackle/ruck formation law brought in last week does their openside, Barclay, any favours whereas Wallace will be unaffected because he isn't a "genuine No.7" as the purists would see it. There have been less and less genuine openside flankers in the game in recent years but this rule change will definitely ensure they'll become extinct soon enough. It's a pity, but it appears that in a misguided attempt to draw in more viewers (and advertising revenue) by making the game more free flowing the powers that be are diluting what sets the game apart from other sports. The openside flanker is the first casualty. The next one will have to be the front row because what they do isn't sexy so they'll come up with some ridiculous reason for uncompetitive scrummaging in future.

Speaking of uncompetitive scrummaging, the normally dire Ireland scrum has been quite solid all season long. Healy has shown himself to be impressive in the loose, but he really seems to be improving quickly in the scrum. Best has added a bit more steel to it too. We'll be tested today with Murray at tighthead for the Scots, so Healy will be tested again.

There's not too much I can say about the Irish team at this point, we know exactly what to expect. Good tactical kicking, excellent set piece execution and extremely dangerous strike running out wide. We did attack from deeper against the Welsh than we have done against others and I think we'll do the same again today once the first 20 mins are over. It would be nice to land a few more of the difficult place kicks today to give ourselves a cushion to play a bit more rugby.

I can't see us losing, but even if we did i think G&E jobs would be safe. Results have been poor as of late, yet at the same time they've been doing a good job developing a young and very promising squad.

Ha ha, where are all our Irish friends now?

Although I shouldn't be laughing, given that England are probably about to be destroyed.

Deserved victory for the Scottish ;)

This Referee is an idiot and missing *so* much. He's also handed the French 6 points by those harsh penalties at the scrum.

We really missed Wilko in the rain too, to give us some territory and help dictate proceedings. Hopefully now it's stopped Flood can show why he's in the team. I like how we're getting it wide from quick ball, instead of slow ball, which seems to have been a 'tactic' in this tournament, and is both equally pointless and suicidal.

Fucksake, why did our winger kick so early?

There was an easy two-on-one a few yards up the pitch. That's like missing an open goal in football - it's really that bad.

Tindel has made a massive difference (as predicted, haha), bit gutted he's come off.

England were the better team in that match.

Yet another example of a totally shite ref in this years Six Nations.

Well, we played with a lot of guts and spirit in that match, which hasn't always been the case under Martin Johnson. Ultimately, though, winning two matches out of five is not acceptable.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=38718.msg1073761#msg1073761 date=1269111817]
Ha ha, where are all our Irish friends now?

Although I shouldn't be laughing, given that England are probably about to be destroyed.

[/quote]

I might give you a full rundown tomorrow if you really want it, but for now I'm pissed so this is the best I can manage - I thought we disrespected the Scots and rightly got stung by it, In the first half we never kicked for territory, compare that to every other game we've played this season and you'll see we fought for territory first and the game second in every other game buagainst the Scots it looked like we thought we could beat them by running the ball from everywhere. We're a good team but we're not that good. We deserved to get beaten if that is the way we approached them game.

Very few had games of note, O'Driscoll despite his try was largely anonymous - as was D'arcy. Bpwe was his usual determined self, Simon Geoghegan can forget whatever claims he had to the throne of best winger the country has had.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=38718.msg1073801#msg1073801 date=1269121324]
Well, we played with a lot of guts and spirit in that match, which hasn't always been the case under Martin Johnson. Ultimately, though, winning two matches out of five is not acceptable.
[/quote]

Probably not mate. I can't help thinking this side could have won the 6 nations had we got it right and had a few factors or decision gone our way.

As far as I'm concerned, the talent is there, especially in the forwards.

The French were deserved winners of the tournament, but not the Grand Slam, IMO. They were not very good today and the Ref helped them a lot.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=38718.msg1073798#msg1073798 date=1269120959]

[/quote]

Most of the really poor ones have been from the Southern Hemisphere. That Kiwi twat yesterday looked as though he was going to shit himself when Johnno went over for a not so quiet word after the game.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=38718.msg1074434#msg1074434 date=1269191051]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=38718.msg1073798#msg1073798 date=1269120959]

[/quote]

Most of the really poor ones have been from the Southern Hemisphere. That Kiwi twat yesterday looked as though he was going to shit himself when Johnno went over for a not so quiet word after the game.
[/quote]

He nailed us on the Lions tour as well if i recall correctly mate?

He was unbelievably picky, yet missed the most obvious penalties time and again yesterday.

Was that him, or was it that prick Steve Walsh who also got into a barney with the England fitness coach during the 2003 World Cup and was suspended for it? Either way, it's a pity their "best" refs aren't in the same universe as their best players.

I'm not sure mate, but i was referring to the yellow (obvious red, i thought he was the linesman) for Burger. I do agree with you though about the SH ref's, they've been shite.

Back
Top Bottom