• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

South Africa vs Australia

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
I normally would't bother with this thread but today's cricket has been phenomenal ... mind blowing ...

Australia finish their 1st inning on 284

Up come SA, and all out for 96.

Check out these bowling lines:
Harris 4-33 off 10.3 overs
Watson 5-17 off 5 overs

How do South Africa react? Bowl out Australia for 47 ... They were 21/9!

Philander took 5 for 15 (7 overs) and Morkel got 3 for 9 (6 overs).

23 wickets so far today (South Africa is currently 52/1).

Un-fucking-real.

Watched this live last night, terrific stuff.

Clarke's 150 was an incredible innings given the hogwash that followed. Australia are still in with a huge chance here if Watson and Sidddle can get the seam going again and the weather suits. I think Hussey dropping Amla last ball may live to haunt them though.

I caught this as well. Fantastic bowling by Steyn! What a player!

Clarke's counter attacking inning was true captain's stuff, especially cuz he didn't look comfortable early on and mostly against Steyn.

The second innings collapse was just crazy stuff...dunno what happened out there.

Philander moves the ball so much!

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=47481.msg1424458#msg1424458 date=1320969947]
Philander moves the ball so much!
[/quote]

Quite a debut, eh?

Ryan - of course Australia has a chance. Despite the great start last night, bowlers have the edge here and we saw how easily wickets crumbled. The only thing standing against Australia is the weather. It was getting sunnier yesterday and if the pitch hardens, the swing we saw may listen.

Btw, how many reviews yesterday? 9?

This has been an unbelievable test (not over yet, but it certainly seems that way).

Smith finally plays a captain's innings, and Amla manages a century after been dropped twice in 3 overs.

Australia are fucking useless. Get rid of MJ and Haddin (total shite) and get some of the likes of Cummins, Copeland and Pattinson in.

But i like MJ!!!!

I admit.... he only ever gets it right rarely, but when he does....boy he is a sight to watch!

The innings by Clarke was mind blowing as much, I suspect, for the fact it was so unexpected as anything else. He's never played anything close to a defining innings in his career and then does it against possibly the best bowling lineup in the world.

Bit surprised by the comment on Smith finally playing a captains innings - not sure who by. From the time he made his debut he's been someone that opposing teams have found confrontational and Australia have often commented he's one of the few who really took them on when they were destroying teams internationally. There's something intimidating about his capacity to look totally calm and imperious no matter the situation.

I know he had some luck but Amla is some player.

Smith and Chanderpaul are hands-down the most ugly batsmen to watch....i'm not commenting on their looks.

It's a fucking eyesore ...their technique.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=47481.msg1425016#msg1425016 date=1321102420]
Bit surprised by the comment on Smith finally playing a captains innings - not sure who by. From the time he made his debut he's been someone that opposing teams have found confrontational and Australia have often commented he's one of the few who really took them on when they were destroying teams internationally.
[/quote]

For a player of his talent, he's struggled over the past year ... That's a comment most Protea fans said yesterday -

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47481.msg1425156#msg1425156 date=1321142034]
Clarke won't last long as skipper.
[/quote]

A couple more innings like that and a follow up against India - it'll be his for as long as he wants. Australian selectors have been wanting him to be captain since he was in the youth set up - they won't need a lot to justify their choice. Innings like these against the top teams in the world would qualify as plenty.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=47481.msg1425156#msg1425156 date=1321142034]
Smith and Chanderpaul are hands-down the most ugly batsmen to watch....i'm not commenting on their looks.

[/quote]

Certainly not the elegance of David Gower or Mark Waugh but then neither of them were particularly winners. I can remember a coach saying one time that some people want to look good and lose rather than look bad and win. Smith is definitely one of the latter which is why he intimidates opposing teams.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47481.msg1425156#msg1425156 date=1321142034]
Clarke won't last long as skipper.
[/quote]

Don't know....his first innings is the definition of a skippers innings. I always thought he was too soft to put up a fight like that. It took me by surprise. I liked watching Steyn vs Clarke in the first innings. It won't be talked about much, but in my eyes it was an epic battle, one that gave Australia a winning position, which they let slip right through their hands.

I think it's time to stick a fork in Ponting. Give Clarke a young side and some time, i think he has it in him to build a team to the future. Hussey can play the role of a senior for one or two more years.

I don't think Australian cricket is going to be in a free-fall, like others seem to think. It's their batting frailties that has given them grief recently. But Warner will come through for them and i think he is potential super-star, Khawaja, Marsh are all good batting prospects. I actually think Phil Hughes will also come good for them. He is not without his weakness, but he seems like a tough cookie he may find himself in and out at the start a few times, but eventually he can become a good player like Slater or Langer. The potential is there.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=47481.msg1425223#msg1425223 date=1321158058]

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=47481.msg1425156#msg1425156 date=1321142034]

[/quote]

Certainly not the elegance of David Gower or Mark Waugh but then neither of them were particularly winners. I can remember a coach saying one time that some people want to look good and lose rather than look bad and win. Smith is definitely one of the latter which is why he intimidates opposing teams.
[/quote]

True...can't disagree with you there. But as a neutral, i would just prefer to not watch them bat. Same with Trott actually, that's more because he is a snore-fest. A shot less wonder....

I never said Clarke wasn't a good player. He is. I just don't think he'll last long as Captain. Half the squad hates him.

The innings by Clarke was mind blowing as much, I suspect, for the fact it was so unexpected as anything else. He's never played anything close to a defining innings in his career
[/quote]

2007 Ashes in England, he was outstanding.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=47481.msg1425251#msg1425251 date=1321173680]
The innings by Clarke was mind blowing as much, I suspect, for the fact it was so unexpected as anything else. He's never played anything close to a defining innings in his career
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, some good performances but not to match this; incredibly hostile wicket, very hostile bowling; trying conditions and team mates going down like skittles. I'm amazed he had it in him to be honest.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=47481.msg1425419#msg1425419 date=1321199810]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, some good performances but not to match this; incredibly hostile wicket, very hostile bowling; trying conditions and team mates going down like skittles. I'm amazed he had it in him to be honest.
[/quote]

I thought the SA bowling attack went too easy on him at the beginning of his inningws. they let him get into his groove a bit to readily. Anyway, still a wonderful knock.

Larry - who else would you have as captain? Watson? The captaincy 'issue' is the least of their problems in my opinion. Talk of Warner being drafted back in this morning. Not sure about that; it's one thing whacking baseball like deliveries all over the shop in T20, it's a different thing facing off an attack of Steyn, Morkel, Philander, etc.

Still, can't be worse than Phil fucking Hughes.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=47481.msg1425605#msg1425605 date=1321228083]
[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=47481.msg1425419#msg1425419 date=1321199810]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought the SA bowling attack went too easy on him at the beginning of his inningws. they let him get into his groove a bit to readily. Anyway, still a wonderful knock.

Larry - who else would you have as captain? Watson? The captaincy 'issue' is the least of their problems in my opinion. Talk of Warner being drafted back in this morning. Not sure about that; it's one thing whacking baseball like deliveries all over the shop in T20, it's a different thing facing off an attack of Steyn, Morkel, Philander, etc.

Still, can't be worse than Phil fucking Hughes.
[/quote]

Not a fan of the young Captain Dynamo, Ryan? ;D

Who, Clarke? I am actually, mustn't have made that clear. He's a very good test batsman.

Nah...Warner doesnt slog mate. He plays proper cricket shots even in T20. He is just a gifted shot-maker. He is proving that he has the temprament for the long game as well....i think he will be star!

I just reached home and caught a bit of the game....what a gun player is AB De Villiers!!!

I can watch him bat all day...

It was a collapse, but there was some decent bowling in there too. At 107-2 at lunch and Harris (their best bowler) on a plane back to Australia, I feared the worst so that's a decent recovery.

Just retire, Ricky. Still good start from Oz. Hope they push on and make this test intresting unlike the last one.

Ha....what do you say now about Hughes Ryan?

He is not in the class of a Mark Waugh, Hayden or even Langer as an opener. But he can do a job like Slater. I think he gets way too much stick from the fans. Australia will benefit immensely by sticking with him.

AB and Amla again!!!

Measured innings this has been from Amla! But AB is just a class act! Both of em are proper gun players!

Back
Top Bottom