1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Squad Stretch

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Brizzle, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Brizzle

Brizzle Well-Known Member

So next year we have the Club World Cup in Dec (only 2 games tbf) to add to a schedule that will as always include FA Cup & League Cup.

How do we all feel about this? With Studge out surely we 100% will be bringing in at least one new set of legs to join Origi & Brewster as rotating attackers. Maybe Shaq is going to get more time in that front three too?

Whilst the PL is #1 aim, i'd want us to be in a position to be able to compete early in the season in these cups through rotation of players who are capable of winning us games to actually rest the big guns.

Anyone else getting anxiety about this?

2. SummerOnions

SummerOnions Let's Push Things Forward Member

I'm having absolutely no anxieties about next season in June.

I'm still hungover from Saturday

Frogfish, doctor_mac and Jack D Rips like this.
  3. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Mo(ssa)d Administrator

I got it after the 2nd time Sumo ...

SummerOnions likes this.
  4. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

Why are people so fucking worried about that tournament, it's basically one game!

peterhague likes this.
  5. hmmmmm1

hmmmmm1 Very Active Member

Cus of the travel and disruption to an already busy period of the year

6. Brizzle

Its in the busiest part of the year? Plus we will likely have at least one of the LC/FA Cup around that time too. If we want to properly compete in the PL again next year we need more players we trust to take on these other games. I want us targetting 90+ points again but it means we need clever resting of full backs and front 3.

7. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

We needed a bigger squad this season so of course we need it next season.

8. peterhague

peterhague Very Well-Known Member

No I'm not worried at all.

I couldn't give a toss about the domestic cups, as far as I'm concerned Klopp can play the youth team in them.

This thing is basically one game, because the only even half decent other team will be the SA one we play first.

But that doesn't mean we don't also need a bigger squad, because we do.

9. Modo

Obviously I'm expecting us to sign at least 2 players

10. eecheerow

eecheerow Active Member

I figure we’ll just replace our outgoing players, but with more quality:
    Sturridge out, new forward, on par with the quality we already have, in
    Moreno & Clyne out, new FB who can cover both sides equally well, in
    Lallana out, new, better attacking midfielder, in

If Mignolet leaves, we need another keeper, etc. Replace those players with real quality and well have a squad built to challenge on all fronts.

11. doctor_mac

doctor_mac My cowboy name is Garland Justice Moderator

Ox and Brewster are basically 2 new signings. If Lallana goes then Wilson covers him. We deffo need a top quality versatile front 3 player and we deffo need a left back. Hoever and Gomez provide cover on the right.

12. HC

HC Very Well-Known Member

Giveth zeroeth fuckeths about the league cup, play the womens team or whatever actually I feel similarly about the World club cup.

Actually, given our league form, almost feeling similarly about the FA Cup, the irony there is that I think we could walk the FA cup and league cup , or atleast to whatever round we face City if we tried and silverware is silverware.

On the balance of it all I would have zero issues mirroring our approach from this season, League and Champions league taking precedent and the rest being squad jobbies.

13. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

Mane and Salah are participating in AFCON, Alisson and Firmino in Copa America. The likes of Shaqiri, Lallana and even Keita were rarely available for prolong periods while we had to content with injury crisis in the defence at one point of the season (mainly Gomez and Lovren). So even before any departures, we ought to be strengthening our options (and as previously pointed out by some in earlier discussions, even looking at options aiming at improving the XI, not merely backups).

Markovic, Moreno, Sturridge off the wage list, close to £50m from Ward, Solanke and Ings' sales + increased revenue and cash prizes. As much as squad balance and harmony is important, perhaps we can be a bit ambitious and aim to win more, besides the league?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  14. davud graham

davud graham Dude Member

It all depends on whether we want to cash in on the likes of Wilson, Lallana, Kent and Grujic or use them as squad players. Brewster probably takes Sturridge's spot and Chamberlain bolsters the midfield choices.  
    Ideally we want at least a pacy forward/Winger to supplement the ones we have and full back cover but that's about it really. If we were going to do anymore signings then I'd expect it to be younger and cheaper players.

15. peterhague

peterhague Very Well-Known Member

I read somewhere we won't be selling Grujic this summer. Whether he goes on loan again though, who knows.

Realistically we only really need another forward and LB cover, but I hope we spend more than that on any available top young players.

We've got the money and a great platform to build on, now's the time to consolidate.

16. Modo

Might have a look at Norwich full back Max Aarons. Recognise the name?
    Well he's the brother of Rolondo Aarons. Problem is that he's predominantly a right back but he can play on the left as well.

There's also Sessegnon, but I'm not totally sure about him.

17. Modo

How about we get some squad players that contribute. I think times up for Lallana. Neither Wilson nor Kent are good enough.
    I want to see Grujic, but we'd be stupid to bring him back to be our 5th choice behind, Keita, Wijnaldum, Hendo and Milner with regards to the CM position. Dunno if Klopp would have him as second to the DM position.

18. Brizzle

I'm all in favour of playing the kids/ressies in the cups to focus again on the PL. My worry is that we might not do that given mixed levels of uproar this season and that would lead to a fatigued squad later in the year.

19. eecheerow

eecheerow Active Member

This 100%.

Brewster might be good enough now, Wilson might be good enough, etc. but we have to be looking for better than “might.” Brewster will still get time and if he proves himself, deal with that “problem” then. Replace the squaddies with players that will contribute and we’re off. Bringing in players that will allow us to rest Bobby, Mo, Robbo, Trent, etc. and not see our performance drop should be of paramount importance.

20. davud graham

davud graham Dude Member

I t depends on how much Klopp wants to change the first team as he's usually pretty loyal to players who've done well for him and I can't see us playing fortunes for players to sit on the bench or in the stands. Replacing Moreno, Clyne, Sturridge and possibly Lallana will be the priority i think for the squad but who knows if he'll do it from players we already have or by signing new players. I know that for the first time in a long time i trust the manager and the scouting staff to make the right decisions which is a pleasant change.