• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steve Bruce's next job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan O' Neill

Well-Known
Aston Villa have sacked manager Roberto Di Matteo after just 123 days, the club have announced.
The Italian has left with Villa 19th in the Sky Bet Championship despite spending around £50million in the summer.
Di Matteo was appointed in June with a remit to gain an instant return to the Premier League after relegation last season but won just one of his 12 games in charge.
Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Preston proved the final straw and a Villa statement read: “Aston Villa Football Club has today parted company with manager Roberto Di Matteo.
“The club decided to act following a run of disappointing results which has left the team occupying 19th position in the Championship.
“The club would like to place on record its appreciate to Roberto for all his efforts in helping rebuild the squad and wish him well for the future.”
Assistant manager Steve Clarke will be in caretaker charge but Villa do not play again until after the international break, when they host Wolves on October 15.
A difficult decision 4the board. But rather sooner than later we'd make the decision. All need learn&not repeat mistakes again&again. #UTV
— Dr. Tony Xia (@Dr_TonyXia) October 3, 2016

Di Matteo’s reign is the shortest of any permanent Villa boss in the club’s history and they are now looking for their fifth full-time manager since February 2014.
The former Chelsea manager made nine signings in the summer, including spending £12million on Ross McCormack and £15million on Jonathan Kodjia, but the strikers have scored just three goals between them and McCormack had a penalty saved against Preston at the weekend.
He has also paid the price for Villa dropping 11 points in the final five minutes of games, when they have conceded five goals.
Villa’s net spend was £34million and Di Matteo had made assurances to the club’s hierarchy they would win promotion if they were in the top six at Christmas.
But they are 15 points behind leaders Huddersfield and owner Tony Xia, who bought the club in the summer, has acted – with Steve Bruce and Brentford boss Dean Smith linked to the vacancy.

Could well be Hull again if they ever manage to sort out their ownership problems.

Mike Phelan's offer seems to change daily and they might fancy a change anyway if he doesn't take enough points from the easier run of fixtures they've got coming up.

Di Matteo is a fucking terrible manager. They should have appointed Bruce in the first place, like the rest of the Villa board suggested in summer.

Imagine winning the Champions League and then, 4 years later, being sacked by Villa being 19th in the Championship.

Tim Sherwood has expressed an interest in the managerial vacancy at his former club, Aston Villa.
Sherwood acted as manager of Villa for eight months, guiding the club to Premier League safety upon his appointment in February 2015, before being sacked with the club bottom of the table by the following season in October.
The 47-year-old has been out of work since on the managerial scene, but is open to returning to Villa Park after Roberto Di Matteo’s sacking on Monday.
The Italian was fired just 123 days after being appointed as manager, with the club currently 19th in the Championship, with one win from 11 games.
Speaking to talkSPORT, Sherwood expressed his interest in the job, while he also blamed the problems posed by former owner Randy Lerner for his struggles in his first spell.
“I don’t know these owners. I was there under a different regime,” he said.
“The guy I was with wanted out so it was a really difficult situation for me.
“When you go into a club where someone wants to really pick it up and take it forward then it’s a great opportunity for any young manager.
“I’d be no different to anyone else (in being interested).”

Not the easiest job regardless of which manager they selected this summer.
Will probably give it to Bruce. Good appointment in the Championship.

Tim Sherwood has expressed an interest in the managerial vacancy at his former club, Aston Villa.
Sherwood acted as manager of Villa for eight months, guiding the club to Premier League safety upon his appointment in February 2015, before being sacked with the club bottom of the table by the following season in October.
The 47-year-old has been out of work since on the managerial scene, but is open to returning to Villa Park after Roberto Di Matteo’s sacking on Monday.
The Italian was fired just 123 days after being appointed as manager, with the club currently 19th in the Championship, with one win from 11 games.
Speaking to talkSPORT, Sherwood expressed his interest in the job, while he also blamed the problems posed by former owner Randy Lerner for his struggles in his first spell.
“I don’t know these owners. I was there under a different regime,” he said.
“The guy I was with wanted out so it was a really difficult situation for me.
“When you go into a club where someone wants to really pick it up and take it forward then it’s a great opportunity for any young manager.
“I’d be no different to anyone else (in being interested).”

That would be the most ill-advised and doomed to failure appointment since McLeish was appointed the manager of.....oh.... Aston Villa.

Sunderland and Aston Villa have a fucking gift for continued manager ruination.

Its fucking amazing. Doesnt matter who is in charge, how much they spend, how they line up, NOTHING.
They serve up shit and rotate managers on a regular.
On multiple times the budget of your Swansea, Bournemouth, Stokes and Leicesters of the world. Never ending shite.
Ancelotti could go Sunderland and be given £400m and they would still battle relegation.

Whats the opposite of Midas touch?

Villa's recent history of hirings has been very uninspiring since O'Neill left. Houllier had been about 3 years out of the game and had a history of heart trouble, MacLeish came directly from their local rivals, having just gotten them relegated while playing awful football, Lambert did ok(ish) for a while but was given a new contract after two years of narrowly avoiding relegation and well everyone knew how it would turn with Sherwood.

Sunderland and Aston Villa have a fucking gift for continued manager ruination.

Its fucking amazing. Doesnt matter who is in charge, how much they spend, how they line up, NOTHING.
They serve up shit and rotate managers on a regular.
On multiple times the budget of your Swansea, Bournemouth, Stokes and Leicesters of the world. Never ending shite.
Ancelotti could go Sunderland and be given £400m and they would still battle relegation.

Whats the opposite of Midas touch?

Can we add Newcastle to that too?

The Guardian reporting they want David Wagner from Huddersfield.

He's flavour of the month because he's Klopp's mate.

Admittedly he's also top of the league with Huddersfield, which might make it a bit tricky to get him to drop 14 places to join Villa, even if they are a much bigger, richer club.

I'm not sure joining that madhouse would be a great move, especially with an owner like Xia

Odds slashed on Giggs to Villa.
That would be a very typical Villa move. And one I hope would fail massively.

Given that Bruce havent gotten more teams promoted to the PL than anyone else, I'd probably go for him..

Odds slashed on Giggs to Villa.
That would be a very typical Villa move. And one I hope would fail massively.

Given that Bruce havent gotten more teams promoted to the PL than anyone else, I'd probably go for him..

Christ. They'll hardly go for Giggs? Hahaha

Obviously they should get Bruce but Giggs would be fucking amazingly excellent. I think it would be neck-and-neck as to who would be worse Di Matteo, Giggs or Sherwood but it is so much funnier if it's Giggs.

Obviously they should get Bruce but Giggs would be fucking amazingly excellent. I think it would be neck-and-neck as to who would be worse Di Matteo, Giggs or Sherwood but it is so much funnier if it's Giggs.

Yeah, but at least with Sherwood you always get some amazingly funny sideline histrionics and halfwitted interviews.

Giggs looks like he's just been given a glimpse into a wormhole to a parallel Universe ruled by crawling chaos, which has cracked his mind entirely, but nobody has noticed and just assumes he's being taciturn.

That might also explain his apparently "underwhelming" interview for the Swansea job.

Giggs looks like he's just been given a glimpse into a wormhole to a parallel Universe ruled by crawling chaos, which has cracked his mind entirely, but nobody has noticed and just assumes he's being taciturn.
Manchester-United-Ryan-Giggs.jpg

Exactly! Tell me that he hasn't seen terrible things.

Fuck only knows what he said to Huw Jenkins.

Huw: "So, what are your thoughts about the playing staff we have here, Ryan?"

Ryan: ".............stars.......stars with infinite mouths, feeding on the souls....within these strange, twisted lands, life itself is death....."

Huw: "Er......right.... and what are your thoughts about having a defined playing style?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom