• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steven Gerrard & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My days I love this legend, it’s a matter of time before he does it for us as a manager in the not too far distance future.

Is it just me or does he seem a better manager than he was a captain?

Very impressed and happy for him.

Major props to Gerrard. Honestly didn't think he had it in him, but he needs to challenge himself now and get a job in England, before I start entertaining the thought of him managing LFC.

Not sure how long Rodgers will be at Leicester. Probably next 2 seasons more if all goes well till then. Otherwise a club well supported by the owner or a club with well functioning system, would be best for Gerrard before joining Liverpool in case he directly comes to England. Probably Leeds/Arsenal//Southampton might not be bad also. Spurs or Chelsea should be avoided at all costs. If Gerrard is comfortable in learning some other European language, a club like Dortmund or Leipzig or some top 4 Spanish club would be equally great.

With him joining Liverpool directly after Rangers will be a huge risk. The club can make it success but then you have to financially support him like dumb Ole is being supported at Utd. Gerrard might still need time to learn and manage a top 4 club in England with constant pressure. It will be an experimental project with ups & downs. Everyone including fans will need to be patient even if he fails initially. I doubt at Liverpool he will get that, specially after seeing so much success with Klopp.

E12yKOCXEAAi6aV

[article]Jamie Carragher has revised his theory on how long he thinks Steven Gerrard will stay at Rangers.

The Liverpool legend initially predicted his mate would try and get a Scottish Premiership title in the bag early to stop the ten then look to return south.

But Gerrard now has three years under his belt at Ibrox and has just ended a decade of Celtic dominance by running away with the league.

With a crack at the Champions League to come next season and no sign of the Hoops getting close to them, there appears little reason for Gerrard to want to move on.

And Carragher now sees him staying out for longer than he originally may have planned, with winning the title in front of the fans now next on Gerrard’s list to tick off before he departs.

He told the Greatest Game podcast: “I initially thought that Stevie would go up to Scotland, try and stop 10 in a row, get his league and do three or four years, because he is away from home, and then come back to England and to the Premier League.

“That’s not something he ever said to me, but how long are you in a job normally?

“I actually think that being no supporters in there maybe has slightly taken the gloss off that title.

“I think, now, that Stevie will have that drive to dominate Scottish football for Rangers in the next few years.

“That’s not something he’s told me but he’ll want those supporters in there for European nights, he’ll want to win the league in front of supporters.

“I think Stevie now looks at this and thinks this could be a five or six year job, as opposed to a two of three year one when he first came in.”[/article]

Hmm wonder who's the man Gerrard will be sparring with. Lampard?

[article]Following very positive and detailed discussions with Eddie Howe, with the belief that he would be an excellent candidate for the position of Celtic Manager, we allowed time for the process, given he’d previously made it clear he was not looking to return to management until this summer at the earliest.

We can now confirm that Eddie will not be joining the Club, for reasons outwith both his and Celtic’s control.

We wish Eddie success for the future.

As part of the ongoing process we have engaged with a number of candidates. We fully appreciate our fans will be seeking clarity on this matter and we aim, very shortly, to announce the appointment of a Manager with the quality and desire to take Celtic forward and bring further success to our supporters.[/article]

Ange Is taking the job. Solid coach.

Howe will go to Wolves or Spurs
I'm not sure that someone who has only coached in Asia, a 3rd division Greek club aside, (South Melbourne, Panachaiki, Brisbane, Melbourne, Australia and Yokohama) is a solid appointment of the ilk Celtic should be looking at. They'd be much better off looking at other managers in the PL, ESL or successful managers of minor clubs in Europe.

I'm not sure that someone who has only coached in Asia, a 3rd division Greek club aside, (South Melbourne, Panachaiki, Brisbane, Melbourne, Australia and Yokohama) is a solid appointment of the ilk Celtic should be looking at. They'd be much better off looking at other managers in the PL, ESL or successful managers of minor clubs in Europe.
I remember him for his 36-game unbeaten run with Brisbane Roar. Didn't seem to achieve much after that. Yeah, someone like Wilder might be able to do a better job?

If he gets the gig he’ll be very successful. Great coach.

E36MLnCWUAAMfAa

[article]Rangers will have to play the second leg of a potential £30m Champions League showdown just days before they face off against Celtic in the first Old Firm derby of the season.

The Ibrox side harbour heady ambitions to make Europe’s elite competition for the first time in eleven years and have a third-round qualifier to navigate in early August to make even the Playoff.

But should Rangers – who are seeded for the third-round – make it to the Playoffs the second leg on the 25th of August is just days before the club welcomes Celtic to Ibrox on the 28th.

Celtic will harbour their own ambitions of making the Champions League but in taking the non-Champions path face a considerably harder task.

Our Old Firm rivals could also be set to play a Europa League Playoff should they fail to get past the third qualifying round of the the Champions League.

It means both sides will be going all out to qualify for European competition whilst a vital Scottish Premiership campaign kicks off.

The winner of this year’s title will earn automatic entry into next season’s Champions League to provide added incentive ahead of the new campaign.[/article]

Potential LFC coach?

Rangers' set-piece guru Tom Culshaw's incredible journey from tarmacing to the marble staircase
[article]Tom Culshaw was on the same path as Steven Gerrard at Liverpool before taking different turns when they reached first-team level.

And after becoming disillusioned with the game he loved, the rising Reds star took up tarmacing for a spell at his mate’s firm.

But Culshaw is now helping put Rangers on the road to title glory after resuming a shared journey that started more than 30 years ago with Gerrard.

Culshaw is the unsung member of the Ibrox coaching team put together by Gerrard when he landed the Light Blues job back in the summer of 2018.

James Tavernier pinpointed the technical coach’s work at set-pieces just a month after his arrival and again praised his input following the skipper’s stunning free-kick in the win over Dundee United last month.

Tavernier said after that 2-1 Tannadice victory: “We work extremely hard on set-pieces in training. TC has us working hard with them all week and it shows in the games as they can effectively give you three points.”

After landing a huge job for his first managerial gig at the age of just 38, it was important for Gerrard to get the right people around him.

Gary McAllister was appointed for his experience in the game and knowledge of the Scottish scene as well as his popularity in the dressing room.

Gerrard also brought in a creative coach in the shape of Michael Beale.

McAllister’s CV speaks for itself while Beale’s incredible journey started with charging kids £4 for futsal lessons in his local church then took him to Sao Paolo via Merseyside and back to Anfield.

That is where Gerrard first encountered the Londoner but the Gers boss can often be seen liaising with Culshaw in the technical area thanks to a trust built up since they were kids who shared an Anfield dream.

Culshaw’s grandparents lived in the same street as the Gerrard family home in Huyton, the same area of Merseyside where Steve McMahon, Peter Reid and Joey Barton set out on the road to stardom.

A friendship that included a mutual love of football began and they were pupils at Cardinal Heenan High School before joining the youth ranks at Liverpool where they shared the dream of making it to the first team at Anfield.

An England Schoolboys international of some promise, Culshaw was handed the captain’s armband of the reserve side by then second-string boss Sammy Lee.

At 16 he also graduated from the FA National School where he spent two years living at Lilleshall with future stars Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher.

But after four years as a professional at Liverpool, Culshaw, like so many others, failed to make the final jump to the first team like Gerrard and they went their separate ways. In an interview with the Liverpool club website, Culshaw said: “I probably had my first bump in the road at 21 and I really didn’t know how to handle it.

“It was hard, it was a tough few years for me. Especially when I saw my mates, the likes of Steven, Carra, Michael Owen – lads who I’d come through the youth team with – progressing.

“My friend had a tarmacing firm so I went and worked with all my mates for a while.”

Culshaw moved abroad and after coaching kids in Spain decided to pursue that career path, landing a part-time role at Liverpool’s Academy that eventually turned full-time with Gerrard promoting him from the Under-15s to become his Under-18s assistant.

Gerrard said at the time of being appointed academy coach: “When I started out full-time as an apprentice, Tommy was a year above me so I know everything about him and he knows everything about me.

“I thought he was the perfect partner to go into it.”

Now the lifelong friends have been reunited in the south side of Glasgow for the last two-and-a-half years and are firmly on course to complete the final step of Rangers’ decade-long journey back to the Scottish Premiership summit.

And their former manager for Liverpool Schoolboys, Dave Singleton, admits he beams with pride when the camera pans on the pair in the Ibrox dugout.

The 69-year-old took a trip down memory lane for Record Sport and said: “When Steven was appointed Rangers manager I read that he’d taken Tom with him and whenever I watch games on TV now and see them in the dugout together I feel immense pride.

“But Steven’s career achievements speak for themselves and it’s great when the person who isn’t the figurehead gets some credit and there is nobody more deserving than Tom.

“When they were younger you’d have thought both of them would have gone on to make it but there’s a lot of luck in football, being in the right place at the right time.

“Steven is a year younger than Tom but they both played for me in the Under-14 Liverpool Schoolboys FA team in 1992/93.

“Stevie was very small and didn’t start growing until he was 16 so I used to put him on the wing because schoolboys football was based on size and a lot of teams just picked the biggest lads who could plough their way through anything.

“So I put Stevie on the wing where he wouldn’t get hurt and could use his skill. Tom was a centre half and the captain of the team.

“And at the end of that season he went to the FA’s School of Excellence at Lilleshall and he gave me a photo of him receiving his England schoolboys cap.

“He was a commanding centre half but exceptionally skillful too. He could play the ball out from the back.

“We had one game where he picked the ball up on the edge of our penalty area, dribbled the full length of the pitch and scored from the opposite penalty area.

“And like most people coaching at any level I was screaming ‘pass it!’. He had a physical presence and was good in the air so he was great for set-pieces and comfortable with either foot but stronger on his right.

“They were exceptionally nice lads, a credit to their school, parents and city. It’s so great to see people like that go on and do well. It would be absolutely brilliant if they could win the league with Rangers together.”[/article]

Was expecting a friendly vs. us.

Rangers Pre-Season Calendar

Monday July 5 – Partick Thistle (A) 7pm

Saturday July 10 – Tranmere Rovers (A) 12:30pm

Saturday July 17 – Arsenal (H) 2pm

Wednesday July 21 – Blackpool (A) 7pm

Friday July 23 – MyGers Open Training Session at Ibrox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom