• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steven Gerrard & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those things or others like them, yes. Basically my view is that Premiership management isn't something to step into until you've "paid your dues" in management and gathered all the experience you can, and I don't see Scottish football (even at an Old Firm club) providing a sufficiently demanding liftoff platform for it.

Those things or others like them, yes. Basically my view is that Premiership management isn't something to step into until you've "paid your dues" in management and gathered all the experience you can, and I don't see Scottish football (even at an Old Firm club) providing a sufficiently demanding liftoff platform for it.

Yea i agree about the SPL, maybe he needs a stepping stone elsewhere before the big time but he might just be one of the rarities that can do it at the top level immediately

It would, but I don't think Gerrard should make the move anyway. Well though Rangers have done under him, managing in the SPL is nowhere near as difficult as doing so in the Premier League. IMO taking the Villa job would be premature at this stage in Gerrard's managerial career and could well end badly for both parties.

It is a big jump, but he has to jump at some point. It will always be one. Of all the openings this season and probably last, this would be most interesting. A lot of talent to make an impact.

Whether he has the managerial talent is another question.

It is a big jump, but he has to jump at some point. It will always be one. Of all the openings this season and probably last, this would be most interesting. A lot of talent to make an impact.

yea this might be the opportunity for Stevie, you want to be coming into an underachieving squad with problems you can fix and a bit of money about. Villa seem to tick those boxes.

Could be a case of right man wrong time for Stevie if the rumours of him being their main man is indeed true.

Still sticking with my guns he won’t go there, not now anyway. He won’t take a job he’s not 100% sure about and how can he be when he publicly said he’d only leave Rangers for Liverpool.

If he's said he'd only leave Rangers for the Liverpool job then he's an idiot cos the Rangers job will never be enough to get him the gig at Anfield. Villa is probably his best Cas scenario, it's a big club with a young squad that does occasionally spend money.

They won't expect top 4 or a title challenge so he's going to get time. He's got to make the jump eventually, hard to see a better option coming along in the next 12 months. He's not going to get a club like Leicester or Spurs that want to compete at the top end of the league because he's relatively untested, and he's not going to want to take on a huge relegation battle like Norwich. Villa is pretty much his ideal scenario.

[article]Dean Smith has been relieved of his duties as Aston Villa manager and Steven Gerrard is one of the names that has already been linked with the job.

The current Rangers boss reportedly features on Villa’s current wish list of managers and it has been reported the club are keen to make an appointment before next week.

Gerrard was appointed as the Rangers manager in April 2018 and since then has taken the club on an astronomical rise, winning the Scottish Premiership in the 2020/21 season and winning the Manager of the Year award whilst doing so.

Here is a look into the managerial style and potential tactics Gerrard would implement if he was brought in to succeed Dean Smith.

Defensive stability

Rangers had conceded a total of 50 goals in the season before Gerrard’s arrival, which was double the figure of Celtic and more than any other side within the top seven. Gerrard’s first task was to solidify the defence and he did this to great effect.

In his first season in charge Rangers almost halved the number of goals conceded to 27 and then decreased this figure further in the next year to 19. However, this came in the season that was impacted by the pandemic.

The 2020/21 league winning season is where his impact on the defensive end was most impressive. Rangers kept a record 26 clean sheets and conceded just 13 goals as they went on to win the league by 25 points.

Villa desperately need an improvement defensively after shipping several goals in losses to Arsenal, West Ham United and in the well documented collapse against Wolverhampton Wanderers. The appointment of Gerrard could see a return of the defence that kept 15 clean sheets last season.

Villa have conceded 20 goals which is the third highest amount of goals so far this season, behind only Norwich City (26) and Newcastle United (24). Gerrard's immediate impact would have to be solidifying this defence.

Full backs

As Sky Sports have reported, Rangers have progressed due to the impact that their ‘modern day full-backs’ have had. James Tavenier and Borna Barisic have been vital to the progress of this team and this could be key if Gerrard was to arrive at Villa, due to the quality they have in Matty Cash and Matt Targett.

In his first season Barisic failed to contribute going forward and struggled with injuries, this therefore impacted Tavenier’s play as the key passes and attacking threat were not coming from both sides of the pitch.

In the title winning season however, both full backs contributed as Tavenier recorded 12 goals and nine assists and Barisic recorded one goal and six assists. The full backs are a key aspect of Gerrard’s style of play and if he is appointed he could get the best out of Targett and Cash.

Pressing

Gerrard and his staff have always emphasised how important pressing is in their style of play, and their recruitment was styled around this. They were over reliant on Alfredo Morelos in his first season and when he was out with an injury or suspension, the style of play suffered.

Villa have Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings at their disposal who are two forwards who are always keen to press from the front. Ings is amongst the leaders in the Premier League for pressures in the attacking third, whilst Watkins averaged almost 17 pressures a game last season and was renowned for his work rate.

Gerrard often utilises his front three to try and gain territory up the pitch, through the pressing, pace and possession in the final third. Villa may have the perfect set of players needed to implement the ‘all action’ style he wishes.

Villa have looked most threatening this season in a 4-3-3 formation. They switched to it in the second half against Watford, the win against Newcastle United and in the second half against Arsenal.

Gerrard is fond of the fluid 4-3-3 and it would allow him to implement his style of play whilst also including the quality Villa have amongst their ranks in Leon Bailey, Bertrand Traore and Ollie Watkins.

There are doubts and risks associated with this appointment but in terms of what system the players at Aston Villa could operate within, Gerrard’s tactics at Rangers possibly suit the team well.

Villa have the potential to be electric going forward, solid in midfield and can hound teams relentlessly. Which are all characteristics that you could associate with Gerrard’s Rangers side.

Whether or not his talents and tactics would translate over into the Premier League from the Scottish Premiership, remain to be seen.[/article]

If he's said he'd only leave Rangers for the Liverpool job then he's an idiot cos the Rangers job will never be enough to get him the gig at Anfield. Villa is probably his best Cas scenario, it's a big club with a young squad that does occasionally spend money.
The breakfast skim of the forum is revealing a Tony Cascarino obsession today

It seems to be generally accepted that Gerrard would want to manage Liverpool at some time. He won’t be in a position to do so unless he gets some experience in a top league.

There will be expectations at Villa. They have some decent players and money to spend. I would guess that they will be looking in the first instance to be in the top half then challenging for the European places and domestic cups.

Sure it is a bit of a risk and could go wrong, but you would think that Gerrard has to move to England at some point really, and the other alternative would be to take a relegation battler (and keep them up) or a strong championship club (and get them up) so all he is doing is missing a step. Worth the risk I reckon.

Paying your dues can hinder as well as help. Mid-table / lower league managers can easily become pigeon-holed as exactly that and unless you do something execptional, which is hard at that level, it becomes harder to break out as time progresses.

These days there is much more of a willingness to gamble big on an up and coming manager rather than another tired journeyman. Look at Arteta (no experience) and Vieira (a couple years in France and a couple years in the MLS). If you've got a good reputation, you'll probably get a shot and from that point on... either you've got "it" or you haven't.

If not the Prem, where is Gerrard gonna go? The Championship? Abroad?

Villa is probably quite a good fit for Gerrard actually. It's his what... 3rd or 4th season now in the SPL? There is nothing left for him to learn there really. In an ideal world (for him and Rangers) he'd win the league a second time and get a big send off... but as was the case with Rodgers, sometimes you just gotta take the opportunity when it comes along.

Man management, training and tactics. If he hasn't got that nouse now after the managers he's worked under then he never will because you aren't going to learn that in the Championship.
Managers that go that route have usually not had those benefits and need to learn, or if they have they simply don't have the ability. He's got it or he hasn't.

They won't expect top 4 or a title challenge so he's going to get time. He's got to make the jump eventually, hard to see a better option coming along in the next 12 months. He's not going to get a club like Leicester or Spurs that want to compete at the top end of the league because he's relatively untested, and he's not going to want to take on a huge relegation battle like Norwich. Villa is pretty much his ideal scenario.

How do you know that, he's a manager who's won and won well....went unbeaten all season in the league.

Lampard got the Chelsea job off back of managing Derby, Arteta got the Arsenal job of being Pep's lacky....Ok one got sacked after 18 months and the other has had mostly lows but that's besides the point.

What about Alex Ferguson going from Aberdeen to Utd?

Here's a question then, if the Liverpool managers job was vacant right now who would the better fit Stevie or Potter?

Last edited:
How do you know that, he's a manager who's won and won well....went unbeaten all season in the league.

Lampard got the Chelsea job off back of managing Derby, Arteta got the Arsenal job of being Pep's lacky....Ok one got sacked after 18 months and the other has had mostly lows but that's besides the point.

What about Alex Ferguson going from Aberdeen to Utd?

Here's a question then, if the Liverpool managers job was vacant right now who would the better fit Stevie or Potter?

Well, would you take Angelos Postecoglou, then?

Over Potter?

I can't see how Gerrard is gonna prove himself in any other way than the likes of the Villa job. It's not like he's about to learn Italian or something, and even if he did he hasn't got the kudos on the continent. Where else is there to go? He's done a far better job than I expected at rangers, would be good to see what he could do with a decent ambitious setup in this league.

I reckon he should go to a decent sized Championship club next, get them promoted and see how they do. It gives him an extra season or two before being in a relegation battle, which he'd be in from day 1 with Villa.

I reckon he should go to a decent sized Championship club next, get them promoted and see how they do. It gives him an extra season or two before being in a relegation battle, which he'd be in from day 1 with Villa.

The championship is an odd place, with all the parachute payments and yoyo clubs. It's totally imbalanced. It could be the end of him without it being his fault. I wouldn't do it if I was him anyway.

The championship is an odd place, with all the parachute payments and yoyo clubs. It's totally imbalanced. It could be the end of him without it being his fault. I wouldn't do it if I was him anyway.

Yeah, true. He just had it handy enough with Rangers where pressure was off a bit the first couple of seasons.

After Brighton and Crystal Palace, they have a run of games vs. Man City, Leicester and Liverpool. Not exactly the easiest of starts.

Good stuff, if he wants the Liverpool job after Klopp, he's gonna need to prove he can cut it in the Premier League. I personally don't think he's up to it but happy to look like a fool if he does the business there.

Was Gary Mac Assistant at Villa before? Maybe when Ged was manager?

EDIT: Never mind, He was. And caretaker manager too.

Good stuff, if he wants the Liverpool job after Klopp, he's gonna need to prove he can cut it in the Premier League. I personally don't think he's up to it but happy to look like a fool if he does the business there.

I doubt he will be taking over from Klopp anyway. If Klopp does leave in a few seasons’ time, Gerrard would have to have done wonders at Villa to be in the frame by then. Most managers need a good couple of years to get a team how they want it and start getting results.

I doubt he will be taking over from Klopp anyway. If Klopp does leave in a few seasons’ time, Gerrard would have to have done wonders at Villa to be in the frame by then. Most managers need a good couple of years to get a team how they want it and start getting results.

Yeah, but you know if he's kept Villa in the league, had a few cup runs, his name will pop up and I doubt he'll distance himself from it even if it's clear he's not up to it.

Considering that we've done it a couple of times in the past and failed at it, we'd be stupid to hire a manager for sentimental reasons. Unless of course Gerrard works wonders at Villa / elsewhere.

Imagine instead of Roy Evans if we'd gone and brought in a young Arsene Wenger.

Imagine instead of Roy Evans if we'd gone and brought in a young Arsene Wenger.

Imagine what that squad would have made of Wenger. I mean, these were players who were outraged at the utterly weird ruling by Souness that they couldn’t have steak and chips just before a game.

Not sure it's a good fit. Villa fall into the same category as Everton, Newcastle. The expectation will be a handicap. If he doesn't get a grip within a dozen or so games it could rebound slightly. To be fair to these clubs it is extreamly difficult to break into the top 5/6. Yes Leicester and lately West Ham have made inroads but that doesn't make it any easier.

Obviously he wants to test himself and prove he can be a success in this league. Give him about a 30% chance, there or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom