• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sturridge and Moreno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sturridge at his best was a magnificent player and even Moreno has had his decent moments. They need to move on, but I for one wish them both well.
Nicely said Judge.

I think that season under Rodgers we new the true value of Sturridge when he played by himself at the start of the season because suarez was either banned, or injured. We were winning games 1-0 and he was scoring some unreal goals for us.

It is a big shame he never produced that same form for us, and boy did we wait and wait cfor that Sturridge to show up. In many ways he really was a one season wonder for us.

Let it be said, though, that I wouldn't be wishing Moreno any luck if we hadn't won the Champions League.

Despite his injuries in the last 2 seasons, I think we didn't get the most out of Sturridge and that's mostly down to Klopp having different tactics that didn't suit him.

Sturridge excelled under Rodgers because our midfielders were making runs behind the opposition defence which created space for Sturridge - in particular we used to see Henderson make quite a lot of these forward runs from midfield, off the ball.

But now we don't really see that from any our midfield at all.

Instead we our wide players are drifting in, and our full backs overlapping, and Firmino's role is to drop short to receive the ball with his back to goal - whereas Sturridge used to receive the ball facing goal.

Anyways, best of luck to him & Moreno - served the squad well.

On the positive side, we might not have won CL if it wasn't for his important contributions during the group stages so nice for him to properly feel part of that campaign. Will be interesting to see where he goes next. I'd bet on it being a London club.
Indeed.

There's absolutely no doubt he loved being here even if he had next to no game time. Likely be was a positive influence in the changing room and at Melwood otherwise Klopp wouldn't have kept him on.

Reckon he's nailed on to go back to Spain as he still has national team ambitions. Good luck to him it's always good to have ex -players so love the club.

Zlatan isn't exactly a normal physical specimen ...

Studge would do great in France or Spain.
True some extent but from what I've heard he still avoids astro turf and he did have a serious knee injury a while ago.
Also the reason why I'm thinking MLS for Sturridge is because he's about that life. Don't see him settling in Spain or France.

I think the body just refused to exert itself anymore. Instinct just reigns it in. Injuries and age do that to you.

This explains a lot. Like why I find it so difficult to get out of bed, chairs and generally go from a sitting position to standing without making a noise or feeling dizzy.

Sturridge at his best was a magnificent player and even Moreno has had his decent moments. They need to move on, but I for one wish them both well.

It was a real shame that Sturridge began suffering from constant injuries right when he came into the peak of his career, technically gifted and lightning fast if it weren't for the fact he was playing alongside the most outright venomous striker I've seen, Suarez, he would have been praised even more. People chatting about Kane being worldclass etc... I'd prefer a fit and on form and at his peak Sturridge... the most gifted English striker I've seen for a while...

On his day brilliant.

I wish Studge all the best...

As for Moreno, ironically if it weren't for his disastrous performance against Sevilla when Sturridge had had them under the cosh first half... Moreno was never designed technically to be a left back was he... but still... Good luck to him too...

I think the Sturridge we've seen since 2015 was not the same Sturridge of his first 2 seasons at Anfield. I guess his injury record had a lot to do with that, but even when fit he was never a Klopp type of player.
He did score the occassional goal (some were spectacular), but for me he should have been sold 2-3 years ago.

As for Moreno, there were doubts from day one. I remember reading how the Sevilla fans were not impressed by his departure, and were baffled by his move to us. Klopp realized very early that he was not good enough to be our starting LB and used Milner, Gomez and finally Robertson instead.

So best of luck to both players wherever they play (unless it's for one of our "enemies"

I think he's done at Prem level. If he hadn't been, I'd have backed our coaching staff to get more of a tune out of him.

Hope those don't turn out to be Famous Last Words though.

Sad that Sturridge declined as he did, but what beautiful balance and what a great touch he had on him at his best. As for Moreno, good riddance - after about five years with us, he still can barely speak a sentence in English and makes Gareth Bale seem like he's gone native by comparison. The man is probably the thickest player we've ever had.

D8T29ekUEAIivFu.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect. He should be a level above everyone in the SPL, hopefully enough to overcome any physical deficiencies and have an enjoyable goal laden few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom