• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

'That Divok Banner'

Status
Not open for further replies.

6TimesaRed

Not a Bot....
Administrator
Here is a post on Reddit from six months back in relation to Divock nicknames

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolF...s_on/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The question are various nicknames in relation Divok really a problem ??

Didn't we call Solanke something similar ?

Was the reaction to the banner tonight just PC gone mad, innocent bad choice from fans or just damn right racist ?

Was it intentionally racist ? I would probably like to think not.. Just not well thought through from the fans that put the banner up..

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Explicit racial stereotypes are added to the mix of genitals; together they conjure up an image of the primitive black African man, strong and muscular, characterised by his cock.

- I believe that this way of speaking reduces a man and his talent, and convey an extremely narrow perception of who that person is; in such a lens, he's got no mind or talents – just biology, flesh and natural drives.

- I don't think you have to be oversensitive to race issues to pick up on this. I believe mere reflection on the matter would be more than enough to recognise what is actually very obvious.

I was wondering how it could be considered racist, and this seems to be the nub of the argument.

I think it's overthinking it to the point of ridiculousness

I think it was a brave but still fun (original) move. Fuck it, we are who we are. Fans looking for some identity and reasons to stand out. Will everything be perfect? No, but life is not perfect.

If football as a whole is looking for perfect (VAR and now no slurs) the fans will leave. We need some place to relieff steam and have some fun. A decent crowd with nothing to discuss doesn't sound fun to me.

Big cock Origi is just a play on his name and because he has a knack of scoring important goals

Scouse Humour..

Wee cock origi would work in the same manner if he was Scottish mind..

They just made sure he'll never die alone for sure.

I think Oncy might be back for this thread though

Silly nonsense of course. Totally inappropriate sexually. Racist - tough one.

Is this it?

Liverpool-Divock-Origi-banner-Genk-1194764.jpg

I was wondering how it could be considered racist, and this seems to be the nub of the argument.

I think it's overthinking it to the point of ridiculousness

Any thinking is overthinking. The test is very clear "abusive and/or insulting and/or including a reference to race and/or colour". It's not racist because it is a compliment. Simples. The club must think it's 2011 still.

Of course its fucking racist - its playing on the racial stereotype of black men having big dicks. Probably wasn't intentionally so, but it is racist.

Dig out the Anfield Wrap podcast on racism & discrimination and listen to Mo Stewart's explanation on why the Utd chant about Lukaku was racist

In fact it was re-tweeted last night :

[bcolor=#ffffff]

No, unless he is an abnormally mature 8 year old, there is no excuse or time for that sort of crap, he can shove that podcast straight up his arse along with the rest of himself.

It will be 2029 before human beings have a fresh chance to rethink their attitude to racism. Until then, tough fucking luck should be the default response. It isn't because people don't understand racism. Or need to be educated by a twat explaining to us that 1+1=2 on a podcast. It's because they told us it equaled 3 to fail us in the exam, so nobody gets to use 2 anymore. Fuck off with that 2. You said it's 3, seeing how that works out for everyone ever since is most hilarious. Another decade of it is left to go and that's it.

I think it’s in bad taste and not what I’d expect from those who make our flags. We are usually are more intelligent than that.

I also think it is racist. As pointed out above we are making out that all black men have oversized dicks.

Its crude, grotesque and really inappropriate as children could have been in the stadium. Racial stereotype that is for sure

After the number of racist related incidents in the last couple of weeks across all levels of football whoever displayed the banner must be pretty stupid to think that wouldn't be highlighted and criticised.

Yes, its fucking stupid more than anything else, and there is no doubt it is rooted in racial stereotyping. Time to cut this shit out.

I didn't see the cock as I only saw a rubbish photo on twitter and didn't really know what was going on until late last night.

It's basically a shoddy rehash of David Brent's bread bin joke.

It's quite obviously racial stereotyping.

Some might wonder if perhaps it's accurate - there are certainly statistics that show ethnic and geographic differences in penis size (sorry Japan) - and I'm sure there will be some who say "well, it's a compliment isn't it?" but again, that's dangerous territory.

Because if you start accepting positive stereotypes - them Kenyans are good at running, eh? - which are demonstrably true, then you open the door to musings about the negative stereotypes, and that gets awkward and a bit "No! NOT THOSE STATISTICS" and possibly a bit KKK pointy hat, alt-right Master Race eugenics.

So all in all, best not, eh?

And yeah, it isn't appropriate anyway, kids where watching and also in the crowd, so it was fucking stupid and sarcastic "well done"'s to everyone involved.

Funny - yes
Perpetrating a racial stereotype [whether positive or negatively] - yes
Stupid to put on a banner - yes

We'll get hit with a fine I expect. I wonder whether Divvy will comment on it.

It's pretty dumb to bring that out, particularly in the current climate.

It's still a shame that it's treated to the same headlines / reports / apologies as the other racist incidents that have been in the media recently.

Think some distinction needs to be made.

If the banner is guilty of racial stereotyping, then the 'nickname' is and needs to be stopped aswell. However, I've not heard the same furore over that being used. There undoubtedly are clear undertones of racial stereotyping underpinning it, but then its also a nod to him turning up in big moments, so its not just that. So, as Keni says, its not comparable to other racist actions we've recently seen.

The banner was also wrong as its obscene and shouldn't be anywhere near the game. Its now brought the club into disrepute and UEFA will likely take a dim view.

It's a play on his name and it's something many (even in this forum?) have used without (I would guess) any intentional racial overtones. However in this PC fucking mad world it was obvious it would be construed that way. Even without thought for children watching/in the crowd. So was it stupid ? Undoubtedly. Was it racist ? I really doubt it was intended to be so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom