• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The 6 Nations

I guess its to be expected. The better teams usually enjoy a fierce rivalry on and off the pitch.

Allthough its always enjoyable to beat the english it's become a bit well......Easy.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=31054.msg826946#msg826946 date=1237471203]
Hey, it's fun watching the Celts be nasty to each other!

[/quote]

Bryndaloo is very funny, he is the most mild mannered young man you're ever likely to meet UNLESS he's discussing rugby, he becomes a vituperative and argumentative ogre when egg-chasing is the topic.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=31054.msg826971#msg826971 date=1237472811]

[/quote]

Bryndaloo is very funny, he is the most mild mannered young man you're ever likely to meet UNLESS he's discussing rugby, he becomes a vituperative and argumentative ogre when egg-chasing is the topic.
[/quote]

An ogre? Aren't ogres normally quite tall?!

We all have subjects we're passionate about, for me it's Rugby, for you Grandad-collared shirts...
;)

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=31054.msg826980#msg826980 date=1237473876]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We all have subjects we're passionate about, for me it's Rugby, for you Grandad-collared shirts...
;)
[/quote]

They will come back into fashion (when I die and consequently stop wearing them).

[/quote]

[/quote]

;)
[/quote]

I know something else you're passionate about Bryn.

oxfam_sheep.jpg

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=31054.msg827002#msg827002 date=1237474704]

[/quote]

[/quote]

;)
[/quote]

I know something else you're passionate about Bryn.

oxfam_sheep.jpg

[/quote]

Aye, back legs down the wellis and front legs over the shoulders - else you miss out on all the kissing...

O'Gara isn't the greatest defender in the world, that's hardly news. It's why I'm quite happy to see Henson rather than Roberts playing at 12 for you.

It's interesting that the Welsh camp seem to have done a PR u-turn today. Shanklin was in the press saying BOD was world class. Did the penny drop with Gatland maybe ?

My problem with ROG is that we haven't seen a complete outhalf performance from him in a very long time, perhaps since the mauling of England in the first Croke Park game with them. We haven't really tested alternatives, and he hasn't been pressured for his place since Humphries (who for me, was a better player). Whether he can hold his composure in this game will be a massive factor.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=31054.msg827206#msg827206 date=1237494197]
My problem with ROG is that we haven't seen a complete outhalf performance from him in a very long time, perhaps since the mauling of England in the first Croke Park game with them. We haven't really tested alternatives, and he hasn't been pressured for his place since Humphries (who for me, was a better player). Whether he can hold his composure in this game will be a massive factor.

[/quote]

Humphries was undoubtedly the better all-round player IMO. I've always thought Ireland short-changed themselves when O'Gara was picked ahead of him.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=31054.msg827232#msg827232 date=1237495526]
[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=31054.msg827206#msg827206 date=1237494197]

[/quote]

Humphries was undoubtedly the better all-round player IMO. I've always thought Ireland short-changed themselves when O'Gara was picked ahead of him.
[/quote]

A Munsterman was always going to get preferential treatment over an Ulsterman with O'Sullivan JJ.

I thought it was Gatland that began picking ROG over Humphries.

Given how often Humphries failed to perform over the years I can't reallt blame him.

Humphries didn't have the team around him for so much of his career (in comparison with the players ROG has been surrounded with for most of his playing career with Ireland). He was far more consistent than ROG has ever been with the boot, out of hand and goal kicking. In fairness to ROG, some of his best play came when he and Humphries were battling for the number 10 shirt. That massive drop goal in the final seconds to beat Wales comes to mind.

One of the other reasons ROG got the nod was not only did he outplay him at that time, he was simply younger. Humphries lasted a lot longer at the top level than most expected, so I could see why they went with ROG.

I think Humphries was more creative with ball in hand than ROG, but he didn't control games the way ROG can with his tactical kicking.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31054.msg827244#msg827244 date=1237496464]

I think Humphries was more creative with ball in hand than ROG, but he didn't control games the way ROG can with his tactical kicking.
[/quote]

I disagree there. In part, anyway. ROG has controlled games with the boot, of course, but increasingly rarely. Humphries kicked longer, and more accurately for me, far more consistently- he was supremely capable of dictating games with the boot. My opinion is perhaps jaded (perhaps by a subconscious Ulster bias), but also probably by the fact that ROG hasn't controlled an Irish game that way in ages. I can't remember the ROG who controlled games because I haven't seen him in so long. He was beyond hopeless in the world cup, and has only shown flashes of his old self since. I can't understand why we haven't been entrusting other players with the position- why not bring them on when it's obvious Ronan's fucking it up. Some of ROG's woeful performances in the past few years couldn't be outdone.

Humphries had more in his locker all round IMHO. For me running with the ball and tackling were other areas in which he outdid O'Gara. I once saw him in the Varsity Match (obviously a lower standard than what was then the 5 Nations, but not by that much in those days) take Cambridge on practically single-handed. Oxford still lost but Humphries gave perhaps the best MOTM performance I've ever seen from a player who ended up on the losing side.

I watched him regularly for Ulster and he looked like he always had the field at his mercy. His wee brother might well turn out to be even better given a chance.

Missed it unfortunately, but well done the Irish.

The priest and his curate at our church are Scottish and Welsh respectively and take some pleasure in rubbing it in when England slip up, so I had some sport with the two of them this evening. Probably left them thinking some very unChristian thoughts. Oh well. ;D

I have to say my eyes were wet after that. My brother and I hugged at the final whistle and I felt a tear roll down my cheek (the last time that happened was my wedding day). I've been supporting Ireland from being a wee bairn on my dad's knee over 30 years ago, and dreaming of this day. We outfought Wales in every area of the pitch, yet looked like we were contriving to throw it away with silly errors when we were in promising positions.

A very, very proud day for the men in green, and a very happy day for the Mac family.

Well done Ireland, ROG pulled it out of the bag, O'Driscoll /O Connell pulled us through. I'm sure Ross is in for a great night in Cardiff.

Wales finished forth does that put Gatland under pressure ?

A great moment in Irish sport.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=31054.msg828790#msg828790 date=1237669686]
I have to say my eyes were wet after that. My brother and I hugged at the final whistle and I felt a tear roll down my cheek (the last time that happened was my wedding day). I've been supporting Ireland from being a wee bairn on my dad's knee over 30 years ago, and dreaming of this day. We outfought Wales in every area of the pitch, yet looked like we were contriving to throw it away with silly errors when we were in promising positions.

A very, very proud day for the men in green, and a very happy day for the Mac family.
[/quote]

Literally, so I hear. ;)

Enjoy it and, when you get near the black stuff or the Bushmills or whatever's your pleasure, sink one for me.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=31054.msg828798#msg828798 date=1237670194]
[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=31054.msg828790#msg828790 date=1237669686]

[/quote]

Literally, so I hear. ;)

Enjoy it and, when you get near the black stuff or the Bushmills or whatever's your pleasure, sink one for me.
[/quote]

Cheers JJ. I was given a bottle of 10 year old Bush for my birthday and I'll toast you (and Ireland) right now.

[As for the 'fightings', there was a bit in the first 20, but it was generally fiercely fought within the rules after that.]

What an amazing performance from the lads.
A momentus day. For Kidney to guide us to the clean sweep in his first season is an amazing achievement.

Great game, had our mothers day early yesterday (off on a course today with work) so missed it & just watched it now.

Well done the Oirish, thoroughly deserved.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=31054.msg828990#msg828990 date=1237717570]
Well done to the Irish!!!

(If anyone says that O'Gara can tackle, then they are wrong)
[/quote]

Anyone who says the Welsh are better than the Irish were wronger.

Back
Top Bottom