• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

THE ASHES... 2009

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33622.msg902779#msg902779 date=1247130980]
I can't believe how much of a hard time the press are giving KP, it was one of those freak shots, a rash decision by him to play it, fine, but some of the criticism has been way over the top. We're only on Day 2, maybe we should give the team a chance before we get on the backs of our players, especially the best one.
[/quote]

It doesnt matter what day it was Anita. He was in and controlling the game and threw his wicket away. The problme being he does it ALL the time.
No world class batsman in history throws his wicket away as much as Super Kev.

Yes the game isnt over and his 69 could be vital, but his 145 would have been better, he just doesnt know how to build an innings, never has.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33622.msg902779#msg902779 date=1247130980]
I can't believe how much of a hard time the press are giving KP, it was one of those freak shots, a rash decision by him to play it, fine, but some of the criticism has been way over the top. We're only on Day 2, maybe we should give the team a chance before we get on the backs of our players, especially the best one.
[/quote]

I'm in Oz, so I have no idea how much he's been savaged by the U.K. Press. I also forgive him, because he's a batting genius, and you have to take the rough with the smooth.

What I will say though, is that the more I see of it, it was fundamentally a thick cunt of a shot.

Premeditated or not, you don't reach a yard outside off to sweep.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg902842#msg902842 date=1247133301]
16 tons and an average of over 50 says you're wrong.
[/quote]

Its not about what he has, its about what he could have.

I love Kev, but he throws away wickets all the time. If you disagree then fine, but it would make me think you know a lot less than i thought you did regarding cricket.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg902853#msg902853 date=1247133711]
[/quote]

I love Kev, but he throws away wickets all the time. If you disagree then fine, but it would make me think you know a lot less than i thought you did regarding cricket.
[/quote]

Oncy he's the best England batsman for many a year and he has the most tons out of any of the current team. By getting so many test 100's i think its fair to say that he clearly knows how to build a innings.

If he changed the way he plays then maybe that would take away from his game (i for one love the way he dominates attacks).

He's a very attacking batsman and with that he's going to get out playing shots that others wouldn't dream of playing. Like someone else said, you've got to take the rough with the smooth with regards to KP.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg902863#msg902863 date=1247134338]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg902853#msg902853 date=1247133711]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oncy he's the best England batsman for many a year and he has the most tons out of any of the current team. By getting so many test 100's i think its fair to say that he clearly knows how to build a innings.

If he changed the way he plays then maybe that would take away from his game (i for one love the way he dominates attacks).

He's a very attacking batsman and with that he's going to get out playing shots that others wouldn't dream of playing. Like someone else said, you've got to take the rough with the smooth with regards to KP.
[/quote]

Others wouldnt play it because its a stupid fucking shot. He should be taking his place in the middle this morning instead we are scratching around to make 350 or 400 at best with our bowlers.
Dont get me wrong, Strauss, Bopara, Cook, Flintoff, Prior all got starts but NONE of them abandoned their innings in quite the fashion Kev did.

Im not getting on his back anyway, i really dont mind to be honest and i agree you do take the rough with the smooth when it comes to world class talent. I was simply answering Anita's question as to why he's getting slated. He's getting slated because he has a history of throwing his wicket away regardless of how great a batsman he is.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg902875#msg902875 date=1247134972]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg902863#msg902863 date=1247134338]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Others wouldnt play it because its a stupid fucking shot. He should be taking his place in the middle this morning instead we are scratching around to make 350 or 400 at best with our bowlers.
Dont get me wrong, Strauss, Bopara, Cook, Flintoff, Prior all got starts but NONE of them abandoned their innings in quite the fashion Kev did.

Im not getting on his back anyway, i really dont mind to be honest and i agree you do take the rough with the smooth when it comes to world class talent. I was simply answering Anita's question as to why he's getting slated. He's getting slated because he has a history of throwing his wicket away regardless of how great a batsman he is.
[/quote]

I was just pointing out that imo the point you made about him not knowing how to build an innings is wrong mate, like i said i think it's clearly proven incorrect by the number of tons he's got in his career so far. His conversion rate from 50 to 100 is up there with the very best as is his test average, so when he gets in he generally makes a big score.

It was a shite shot though.

379/8

So unusual to see the England "tail" wag against anyone let alone the Aussies.

Anderson 25 Not Out
Broad 19
Swann 36 Not Out

I can't see Panesar troubling the scorer too much though.

I'm fucking loving watching our tail wag for a change.

I just know we're going to bowl Australia out for 184.

Swann looks quality. Is nice to see us batting down to 9 with Anderson no pushover aswell.

435 all out.

You know you're in difficulty when Jimmy Anderson is reverse sweeping your best spinner for 4 at will. I fail to see how that Australian line up is gonna take 20 wickets to win games.

Anyway, Australia are on. I think katich will score big, Phil Hughes won't.

By the way, oncy was spot on above about kp.

Broad should offer Hughes a knife and fork whilst he's at it here, cos every delivery this far has been on a fuckin plate.

Why aren't they bouncing it at his teeth?

I think we can all agree that Stuart McGill is a massive, unfulfilled, ugly, porcine fucking cunt.

(This may only apply to Antipodean viewers)

I know, Stevie and I were chattin about him last night.

He's got such a punchable face, the vacant cunt.

You just know if you punched him, his face would wobble in the direction of Damien Martyn who would then take it as his cue to offer some meaningless, uncharismatic insight into some shit that no-one cares about.

I hate lunch breaks.

Freddie in fine form. Bowling in the 90s. Almost got a c&b but it was a very tough chance

Big test this for Jimmy Anderson. There's a big differenc between bowling out middle order west indies batsmen and getting the wicket of a ponting, Clarke, hussey in the middle of an ashes.

[quote author=TheFasterBlade link=topic=33622.msg902978#msg902978 date=1247142029]
You just know if you punched him, his face would wobble in the direction of Damien Martyn who would then take it as his cue to offer some meaningless, uncharismatic insight into some shit that no-one cares about.

I hate lunch breaks.
[/quote]

MacGill & Martyn are f**king hopeless at presenting. MacGill's clearly had too much crap Wolf Blass down his neck.

If MacGill says "what do you think make" one more time in his camp accent with his left eyebrow twitching I'll through something at the TV.

Least he's not stuttering as much as Day one. You might have missed that Ryan.

Mind you comenmtators in any sport in Australia tend to be terrrible. Anywhere that has Spencer Pryor as an expert summariser has to be looked at.

[quote author=Dahuge link=topic=33622.msg903011#msg903011 date=1247145114]
Anyone got any links?

Please
[/quote]

This onehttp://realhq.net/ is pretty good if you haven't already found one by now.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg902251#msg902251 date=1247014206]
Christ I can't wait for this.

An absolutely massive toss to win. Ponting will want to bat first if they win it no doubt. Let's hope the first morning's play mirrors '05 rather than '07. That first day's play in the last series at Lord's was one of the best ever' Harmison and Hoggard fucking charging in and bouncing it all over hayden. Langer and Ponting's heads. Brilliant stuff.

Contrast that to Harmison bowling it to to second slip in the first day at the Gabba in 07!

I've gotta say I'm still surprised that England could go with two spinners in Cardiff. I read that in the 60/70 wickets taken at Cardiff this year in county cricket, less than 20 have been taken by recognised spinners. Maybe that says much about the quality of spin bowlers that have been playing there, but I'm still not sure it's gonna be turning as much as they say.

Still, it must encourage Strauss and the selectors to see such quality exponenetsm of the turning ball in Swann and Panesar, that they're so keen to play them. Makes a massive change from relying on the fucking 'King of Spain'.

If England bat first, expect Mitch Johnson to aim the ball squarely at Cook's head for half the morning. Similarly if Australia bat, expect Phil Hughes to be attempting to avoid balls to his ribs for the day. In big games like this, big players stand up. Watch for Ponting or KP to be making half centuries at least.

COME ON!
[/quote]

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg902920#msg902920 date=1247138952]
You know you're in difficulty when Jimmy Anderson is reverse sweeping your best spinner for 4 at will. I fail to see how that Australian line up is gonna take 20 wickets to win games.

Anyway, Australia are on. I think katich will score big, Phil Hughes won't.

By the way, oncy was spot on above about kp.
[/quote]

The Aussies' plan is probably to bat only once in this game. They'll try to bat all day today and much of tomorrow, getting as close to 650 as they can. Then they'll have a day and a bit to bowl England out on a wicket which should have deteriorated by the 5th day. I have a bad feeling about this Test. Come on England! Come on rain!

3 down before lunch. good work.

anyone got a link to live updates thats not on the usual main sites?

I'm trying to get around the 1pm cerfew our firewall puts up to most sport sites.

[quote author=Rouge Penguin link=topic=33622.msg903769#msg903769 date=1247225631]

[/quote]

We have to get Ponting. He is phenomenal.

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33622.msg903772#msg903772 date=1247225769]
[quote author=Rouge Penguin link=topic=33622.msg903769#msg903769 date=1247225631]

[/quote]

We have to get Ponting. He is phenomenal.
[/quote]

GONE!

MONTY!

Back
Top Bottom