• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Barca/Everton-killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Mane, Shaq and Origi – the front 3 that put 4 past Barca at Anfield. Didn't start a game together since – until last night, when they put 5 past Everton (with Wijnaldum's help, once again). Is there a case to be made that the "Barca-killer front 3" is perhaps just as good as our main one?

In our regular front 3, Sadio does his thing, Salah provides goal-poaching, speed and penetration and Bobby links the two of them together, while also popping up with occasional goals. In the OSM front 3, Origi is kind of playing the Salah role, only from the middle, while Shaq is recreating the creativity and link-up play of Bobby from the wing. It's just as balanced, but with slightly different accents and Sadio is key to both of the trios functioning as they should.

One thing I just noticed as I'm re-watching the derby, is that we're actually NOT playing with a front 3 in this game. In the attacking phase it's a 4-2-2-2 with Sadio and Origi as a duo up front; Lallana and Shaqiri as dual playmakers looking for space between Everton's lines and Gini and Milner manning the midfield. I actually meant to write a post suggesting exactly this formation for this game, as I thought it would work to counter Everton's 3 at the back – only thing I wasn't sure was which 2 players would be up front (and I thought Firmino must be one of the playmakers).

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re just as good, or we have two little a sample size to make the judgement, but it’s really nice to see us being able to rest a couple of important attackers and still come away with great results.

I wonder if this will help Klopp trust our other players a bit more? Great to see him rotate and rest players. It will also be in the back of the minds of Mo and Bobby that the team has done well without them, and they need to be on their game to get selected.

Great Post @rurikbird I've been suggesting the 4-2-2-2 formation for weeks now & everyone kept ignoring me!

Had to dredge up some old WhatsApp messages to prove to my mates that I occasionally have an idea what I'm talking about after last night's game!

Shaqiri is exactly what we need , an attacking midfielder ,not afraid to break beyond the front line , amazing link up play , progressive , forward thinking football with the ball retention and tracking back our midfield requires

He was taking the piss at times with flicks and tricks ,so bonus points for that too
His return couldn't have come at a better time.

It keeps our opponents guessing too. We're a tough team to stop because of our personnel and sheer doggedness, but coaches certainly can usually prep their side for pretty much exactly the team and formation they'll be facing.

No.

Great option though when we need to rest the best front 3 in the world.

Don’t underestimate Manes contribution and the power of fresh legs.

Great Post @rurikbird I've been suggesting the 4-2-2-2 formation for weeks now & everyone kept ignoring me!

Had to dredge up some old WhatsApp messages to prove to my mates that I occasionally have an idea what I'm talking about after last night's game!

Ah, nothing like being able to verify the "told you so's" with hard evidence to the non-believers.

As an aside, props to Klopp for last night's team selection, esp.after the questioning (and worse) surrounding it before kickoff.

Yeah fair play to Klopp and the players. I was fuming about that team selection, but they were great.

This is bollocks and you photoshopped the WhatsApps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom